Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Three Words.. East Commons Tunnel

• 646 posts
    December 2, 2018 12:23 PM PST

Syrif said:@Naunet Riiight except there is little to no social and community interaction in a ‘bot-auction house’ system. So no, it’s not deeper imo. Cheers.

I said nothing about bots. Bots are generally against ToS. These are all things an actual player could consider in a centralized marketplace system.

• 1247 posts
    December 2, 2018 12:33 PM PST

@Naunet I’d like to see something in Pantheon that is similar to EC tunnel, but modernized ofc. Something that requires more player-to-player socialization and community interaction again (like EC tunnel, NOT a bot-based AH system). EZ mode and instant-gratification already exist in other mmos. I’d rather Pantheon not in so many ways be like those other mmos that are in a dooownward spiral. That’s all ;) cheers. 

• 646 posts
    December 2, 2018 1:24 PM PST

Can you be a lot more specific than "deep" and "modernized". You use a lot of cliche, general terms, but I've not seen what you think a "modernized" chat-spam tunnel would be.

An auction house is far from "EZ mode" and "instant gratification". Sure people can throw up their stuff for whatever price they want without thinking about it, but it may or may not sell. And folk who take a more measured approach and analyze the current state of the market on the auction house will be a lot more successful in earning in-game currency.

• 1247 posts
    December 2, 2018 1:49 PM PST

Naunet said:

Having to sit around and spam chat to sell or buy goods is not deep gameplay.

and

Naunet said:

Can you be a lot more specific than "deep" and "modernized". You use a lot of cliche, general terms, but I've not seen what you think a "modernized" chat-spam tunnel would be.

You sure you don’t use cliche, general terms.. you know the ones that you mentioned I used? You used the term ‘deep’ first and that’s what I responded to.. Anyway, to answer your question, EZ mode and instant gratification is the stigma that exists in some current games like WoW, you know, those mmos in dooownward spirals. It’s simple really: trade where there are player-to-player transactions (similar to EC tunnel), not where it’s player-to-automated AH system (like WoW). As for what it is, I’m not the one designing the game; only stating my opinion. Perhaps it will require a combo of both? I don’t know. It shouldn’t be that difficult to grasp what myself and others have said in the thread. I suppose you can find any other answers in this thread - or better yet - read up on other games like this one that Brad M. developed! No offense, but I have nothing more to say on it to you. Cheers pal. 

This post was edited by Syrif at December 2, 2018 2:38 PM PST
    • 646 posts
    December 2, 2018 3:07 PM PST

At least I've specified exactly what I find engaging about an auction house system. xD I completely disagree with the assertion that it's somehow "EZ mode", considering the number of variables you can consider and decisions you can make with regards to listing and purchasing items.

• 1120 posts
    December 2, 2018 3:59 PM PST

Syrif said:

Porygon said:

There will already be LFG, WTS, WTB discords that pop up.  And you either use them or you dont.  And if you dont you'll he at s disadvantage.  This is something you cannot stop.  This is the era of gaming that we are in. 

Wrong. There are plenty of players and guilds who want to RP in a challenging environment again ;) and there may even be RP servers again. Not having global chat in game gives people *the option* to not have to participate in it. Global chat, auction house, and instances already exist in pathetic games like WoW where instant-gratification is prevalent. Pantheon needs challenge and depth, not EZ mode. 

Funny, how you are now arguing FOR the ability to ignore an ingame mechanic... but if someone suggests to put maps in the game, and if you dont want to use them don't... people lose their minds.  

Arguements always change when its suitable to you.

Just like you shouldnt design game mechanics for 1 set of players. Whether those players be super casual. Crazy hardcore.  Pvpers or RPers.

If you're in an RP guild that doesn't want to use global chats.  Well then just leave the global chat.  I've never played a game where you were STUCK in a chat.

Also, your major arguement about wanting this, is to promote social and player interaction.  I'm pretty sure there are better ways to engage in social interaction rather than just eliminating AHs.  You know what's funny. If you log into any wow server. Whether it be classic or retail... you have 100s of people spamming their items in trade chat.  AHs dont eliminate player to player trading, it simplifies trading for those that cannot spend time sitting and spamming.  Most games have mechanics that penalize players from using the automatic auction houses such as monetary deposits and cuts from your profits.

There really is no real arguement you can make for not having auction houses other than, I like ec tunnel and want to feel nostalgic.

This post was edited by Porygon at December 2, 2018 4:04 PM PST
    • 1315 posts
    December 2, 2018 4:01 PM PST

Chat spam is one of the most inane market place methods in the world. I hate RL barkers in open air markets, carnivals and outside stadiums and I detest them on screen as well. We wont even get into how people with reading or vision disabilities suffer under chat spam market places.

A few localized market places on each continent should be enough to break the instant gratification issues of a global auction house.

Two implentations I think would be interesting for different reasons are as follow:

1. Tiered consignment stores with physical shelves. Different consignment stores ranging from boutique to pawn shop will have different maximum prices you can start your listing at. Each of these stores will have physical shelves that one copy of each unique item for sale will show up on. These shelves will be organized by item type and item slot so that all the plate helms are together and next to the plate chest armor.

The cheapest one listed with the consignment vendor will always be the first one purchased. If your item doesn't sell fast enough it is reduced in price by 10% each time period until it sells unless you pay the merchant extra not to mark your item down. Each consignment vendor will accept a maximum number of items from a single account at a time and a maximum number of a specific item globally.

You need to return to the consignment vendor to pick up your purchase and to receive the gains from items you have sold through them.

An added possible feature could be a weekly live auction run by NPCs where items that have been in a consignment shop for more than a week go up for auction. Players present can join the live auction with a bidding tool. A great way to get bargains and for people with items to get at least something.

2. Open air stall markets: The second idea that I think would also be interesting would be an open air market that you can rent a stall and hire an NPC. The location of your stall, the maximum number of items displayed, the cut the NPC takes, if the NPC will handle back stock, and the maximum price you can list an item for all is a function of how much you pay to rent the stall.

Your items for sale are visible on the counter of your stall which other players click on to purchase. Some form of item listing search tool will still be needed to see what is available with a stall address listed with the item name and price. The player must then find the stall and purchase the item before someone else does.

High cost, high max listing values could be the big corner stalls with fancy interiors and small low value listings could be crammed down narrow alleys with dozens of other cramped stalls.

In theory both zones could still have a trade channel for those who don't want to take a hit to their profits by selling it through a vendor or too few of items to be worth renting a stall. I kind of like the idea of a player being able to set down a blanket with items on it that they man themselves similar to the early eq bazaar as a way to sell items without a cut that could be priced in such a way to encourage haggling but is still searchable.

• 79 posts
    December 4, 2018 9:57 AM PST

I thought I watched a stream and they said they are adding regional auction houses?  If that is the case then it is kind of a moot point to argue.  In my opinion regional auction houses should be sufficient and I would rather have them then chat spam.  I don't want to waste my time trying to sort through it in order to purchase or sell something.

As far as global channels, almost every game I have been in I end up muting global.  Really doesn't matter to me if they add it or not, I will mute it if it ends up bothering me.

• 334 posts
    December 4, 2018 12:10 PM PST

I think regional auction houses make sense. I mean, is it so far stretched to imagine this type of service developing in the world of Terminus? This also allows for regional specialization for resources, i.e. a region heavy in harvestable materials for wood will probably have wood readily available in their market, where you might be paying a premium for it in the market of a region that has an abundant supply of metals instead of wood. I wouldn't mind there being a heavy fee for listing exotic or rare items, either. Or, just make it so rare, exotic, legendary items aren't able to be listed on the market since the NPCs don't want the headache of dealing with them, but allow more common items/craftables to be listed.

• 9115 posts
    December 4, 2018 2:44 PM PST

Let's chill on the personal opinions guys, there is no point arguing with each other over something that is not even in this game and is merely being discussed.