Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Vanguard Emulator

• 82 posts
    May 9, 2016 11:48 AM PDT

Greeting's since it's time for a update figured I would give you some stats this time instead
    of commit logs. Our content team has been kicking butt so this one is for them and all the
    hard work they have been doing.

Following adventuring quests have been scripted per chunk
    (Only Adventuring has been touched and some quest rewards still need to be added)

Bordinars Cleft - 67
    Caial Brael - 29
    Cliffs of Ghelgad - 23
    Dahknarg - 73
    Grimsea Watch - 6
    Halgarad - 5
    Hathor Zhi - 13
    Isle of Dawn - 37
    Khal - 70
    Leth Nurae - 70
    Lomshir - 41
    Martok - 30
    Shang Village - 12
    Tursh Village - 44

Total - 520

Spawn scripts which include hailing, Quest dialog, drops etc etc

Bordinars Cleft - 152
    Caial Brael - 285
    Cliffs of Ghelgad - 70
    Dahknarg - 178
    Grimsea Watch - 8
    Halgarad - 12
    Hathor Zhi - 17
    Isle of Dawn - 39
    Khal - 379
    Leth Nurae - 99
    Lomshir - 182
    Martok - 405
    Ocean Watch - 10
    ShangVillage - 13
    Tanvu - 335
    Three Rivers Village - 8
    TurshVillage - 335

Total - 2527

Spell scripts we just started working on not that long ago but they are coming along nicely.

I would like to personally thank everyone on the team for dedicating their free time to help bring
    Vanguard alive again. Thank you

• 595 posts
    May 9, 2016 12:32 PM PDT

Xinux said:

Greeting's since it's time for a update figured I would give you some stats this time instead
    of commit logs. Our content team has been kicking butt so this one is for them and all the
    hard work they have been doing.

Following adventuring quests have been scripted per chunk
    (Only Adventuring has been touched and some quest rewards still need to be added)

Bordinars Cleft - 67
    Caial Brael - 29
    Cliffs of Ghelgad - 23
    Dahknarg - 73
    Grimsea Watch - 6
    Halgarad - 5
    Hathor Zhi - 13
    Isle of Dawn - 37
    Khal - 70
    Leth Nurae - 70
    Lomshir - 41
    Martok - 30
    Shang Village - 12
    Tursh Village - 44

Total - 520

Spawn scripts which include hailing, Quest dialog, drops etc etc

Bordinars Cleft - 152
    Caial Brael - 285
    Cliffs of Ghelgad - 70
    Dahknarg - 178
    Grimsea Watch - 8
    Halgarad - 12
    Hathor Zhi - 17
    Isle of Dawn - 39
    Khal - 379
    Leth Nurae - 99
    Lomshir - 182
    Martok - 405
    Ocean Watch - 10
    ShangVillage - 13
    Tanvu - 335
    Three Rivers Village - 8
    TurshVillage - 335

Total - 2527

Spell scripts we just started working on not that long ago but they are coming along nicely.

I would like to personally thank everyone on the team for dedicating their free time to help bring
    Vanguard alive again. Thank you

You guys are awesome!  Looking forward to the testing phase so I can do my part ;)

• 263 posts
    May 9, 2016 2:30 PM PDT

Awsome guys. I really can`t wait this is awsome

• 82 posts
    May 9, 2016 3:08 PM PDT

There was a concern brought up on another forum about us having limited data when it comes to combat and spells. This was my response to that concern.

Very concerned about combat and spells as you guys have EXTREMELY limited data.

Recreating VG combat, spells, and classes is entirely another.

Yes it is and I completely agree with you we probably never will get it exactly like live was and probably never will which i hate to admit but it is the truth. All we can go on is the data we have collected and the players input. The combat/class system is and will be the most difficult part of this project. There is so many little details that will have to be accounted for which we will try our best to replicate to the best of our abilities.

Our plan for a base line is to give NPC's access to the same spells PC's have (On top of any custom spells we create from log data) they will also have access to the same stats strength, intelligence, resists etc etc. We also are planning on adding the feature where if a mob is extremely resistance to one type of spell say fire and you hit it with a fire spell it could/will heal the mob instead. That is just one of the many vanguard features that we plan on implementing to bring the live feel back that people remember.

There is way to much on our road map to go over everything but I hope when everything is said and done it will be a game people will enjoy playing again.

• 595 posts
    May 10, 2016 9:05 AM PDT

Xinux said:

There was a concern brought up on another forum about us having limited data when it comes to combat and spells. This was my response to that concern.

Very concerned about combat and spells as you guys have EXTREMELY limited data.

Recreating VG combat, spells, and classes is entirely another.

Yes it is and I completely agree with you we probably never will get it exactly like live was and probably never will which i hate to admit but it is the truth. All we can go on is the data we have collected and the players input. The combat/class system is and will be the most difficult part of this project. There is so many little details that will have to be accounted for which we will try our best to replicate to the best of our abilities.

Our plan for a base line is to give NPC's access to the same spells PC's have (On top of any custom spells we create from log data) they will also have access to the same stats strength, intelligence, resists etc etc. We also are planning on adding the feature where if a mob is extremely resistance to one type of spell say fire and you hit it with a fire spell it could/will heal the mob instead. That is just one of the many vanguard features that we plan on implementing to bring the live feel back that people remember.

There is way to much on our road map to go over everything but I hope when everything is said and done it will be a game people will enjoy playing again.

I never had a doubt that ultimately something would be lost, even with no coding/programming/game design knowledge.  This is an emulator after all.  

I think an important thing to consider, a point you briefly touch on in your response above, is there were so many iterations of VG between launch and sunset that it would be nearly impossible to meet everyone’s expectations to the letter.  The ultimate vision of the game prior to launch, the game that went to launch and the game that existed on the final days are very different.  So if you go by this line of thinking, this project will always mean different things to different people depending on where they land on that timeline and how much time they spent with each iteration.  Long story short, there were always going to be discrepancies that couldn't be rectified in every case.

I have faith that you and your team are creating something that lovers of VG will cherish even if it can't be identical to the game we remember.

• 271 posts
    May 10, 2016 11:19 AM PDT

This reminded me of my number one joke, lol, MMOs be concerned...

""Lack of version control meant you had to hunt through screen shots or ask players what an item used to be like before it got unintentionally nerfed. There were a lot of days when I would literally sit with my head in my hands, flummoxed at how some feature or another could possibly have been implemented in such a convoluted way""

For those that may not know, that was Steve Danuser talking about Brad: http://www.mobhunter.com/?p=822

Of course, it is within my nautre to wonder just how many grasp the ramifications of such a simple statement, what with a world brimming with fanboys. But either way, it remains a good joke ^^

@Xinux i really appreciate all you do. Many thanks :)

This post was edited by Aenra at May 10, 2016 11:20 AM PDT
    • 453 posts
    May 11, 2016 12:26 PM PDT

Thanks for the update Xinux :)

• 49 posts
    May 12, 2016 9:02 AM PDT

OH ya'

• 53 posts
    May 19, 2016 7:36 PM PDT

is there a good tutorial on how to install this anywhere other than that one on the wiki ? When tryiong to install the game I keep getting an options window and i have no idea what to put in those fields. When I start the Launcher 25 thats asking for file location which i cant install due to the firsdt issue .

Edit: After reading the Vanguard forums I found a way to install. There really should be a better tutorial on how to get the game going for those who do not do that kind of stuff often. The Wiki page is pretty weak in explaining how to use the files

Edit # 2 : I found it much easier to install the game when I went to the Lauchpad 25 page on the Wiki since it had a detailed way to install it just took me a while to find itr because I already had the launcher Downloaded I was looking in other places on how to DL the game and install it properly so I just overlooked that link.

This post was edited by Crypton at May 20, 2016 2:25 AM PDT
    • 384 posts
    May 20, 2016 9:13 AM PDT

I wish daybreak would just give y'all everything! Lol I so want this was playable right now. :)

Thanks for the update!

• 82 posts
    May 21, 2016 1:19 PM PDT

Malsirian said:

I wish daybreak would just give y'all everything! Lol I so want this was playable right now. :)

Thanks for the update!

LOL if only they could.

I honestly would be happy with the same data you could get for EQ2, PS2 and DCUO from http://census.daybreakgames.com/ . 

• 578 posts
    May 21, 2016 9:55 PM PDT

Xinux said:

Malsirian said:

Thanks for the update!

LOL if only they could.

I honestly would be happy with the same data you could get for EQ2, PS2 and DCUO from http://census.daybreakgames.com/ . 

They probably threw it all in the trash...

• 384 posts
    May 21, 2016 10:43 PM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

Xinux said:

Malsirian said:

Thanks for the update!

LOL if only they could.

They probably threw it all in the trash...

It's there somewhere - that's what makes it so depressing. :(

• 2130 posts
    May 22, 2016 12:35 PM PDT

Malsirian said:

It's there somewhere - that's what makes it so depressing. :(

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all of their server code for VG evaporated in the Columbus Nova acquisition.

Their ability to version control timelocked servers from live servers across their games is absically non-existent. Nothing surprises me with them anymore.

• 82 posts
    July 7, 2016 11:35 AM PDT

Sorry it's been awhile since I've posted we are still working away on it and should have parley's and harvesting available soon to test. The framework for crafting has also started.

• 999 posts
    July 20, 2016 11:48 AM PDT

I logged in today - looking good Xinux.  Thanks for the updates and hard work.

• July 22, 2016 8:05 AM PDT

Ditto to what Raidan posted :)

• 9115 posts
    July 22, 2016 8:46 AM PDT

Keep up the good work Xin! :)

• 82 posts
    July 30, 2016 8:41 PM PDT

Some quick notes of recent additions.

Harvesting is now live.

Bows/X-bows should work now but there is still a animation issue which we should have fixed soon.

Day/Night spawning has been implmented .

Minions have been added to a few classes just need to script the other classes. (Note currently only suport 1 minion up at a time).

Various distance checks have been added mo more hailing a mob from 1/2 a chunk away.

HP updates on your defensive target should be more consistant now.

More values have been made into rules for easier adjustments.

PC's should no longer be able to cast or use items while stunned

PC's should not be able to move while stunned or rooted

PC's should stop swinging if stunned while in combat

Fix for dead npc's turning into the walking dead and still attacking you.

Vendor buyback is now working.

Vendor bought items now sell back at 80% of the purchase price.

Item conversion is now working (turning logs into planks etc etc)

• 595 posts
    July 31, 2016 9:44 AM PDT

Xinux said:

Some quick notes of recent additions.

Harvesting is now live.

Bows/X-bows should work now but there is still a animation issue which we should have fixed soon.

Day/Night spawning has been implmented .

Minions have been added to a few classes just need to script the other classes. (Note currently only suport 1 minion up at a time).

Various distance checks have been added mo more hailing a mob from 1/2 a chunk away.

HP updates on your defensive target should be more consistant now.

More values have been made into rules for easier adjustments.

PC's should no longer be able to cast or use items while stunned

PC's should not be able to move while stunned or rooted

PC's should stop swinging if stunned while in combat

Fix for dead npc's turning into the walking dead and still attacking you.

Vendor buyback is now working.

Vendor bought items now sell back at 80% of the purchase price.

Item conversion is now working (turning logs into planks etc etc)

Excellent news!  I haven't had much time to visit New Telon lately but I'll have to carve out a chunk in the near future to run around <3

• 82 posts
    August 18, 2016 2:34 PM PDT

Update Time.

r2234
    Update: quest valid check
    ---------------------
    r2235
    Update: change to PlayNonCombatAnimation to allow npc's to use it
    ---------------------
    r2236
    major group code rework the group window player stats will now update fixed various memory leaks linux compile fixes
    ---------------------
    r2237
    crash fix removed an excess LuaError in GetItemType
    ---------------------
    r2238
    offered_quest delete fix
    ---------------------
    r2239
    the LoadSpawnEntry query for specific chunks was loading placements for all chunks... the chunk id was also being saved to SpawnEntry.entry_id. Fixed this, reload spawns is now considerably faster.
    ---------------------
    r2240
    Added: auto attack toggle icon now shows when auto attacking Update: Removed unknown12 from spells and replaced with icon_toggle. This controls if the icon will have a + sign or a sword when it is toggled.
    ---------------------
    r2241
    Added: Character should now dismount if auto attacking or casting a spell
    ---------------------
    r2242
    Added: Offensive and defensive fighters should start auto attacking when you use a ability now.
    Added: Should now get the visual effects when you level.
    Update: Scrolling combat text should now be the correct colors auto attacks = white and abilities = yellow.
    ---------------------
    r2243
    added a missing NpcList mutex lock
    ---------------------
    r2244
    added a check to prevent HP from dipping below 0
    ---------------------
    r2245
    reload spawns will now clear the respawn list optimized a few highly used functions
    ---------------------
    r2246
    forgot a check
    ---------------------
    r2247
    Initial implementation of spell timing system. Works for debuffs so far. Unclear what other functions we will need, but things like immunities could be handled by this system as well.
    Altered tick timers to be stored by a map with an integer index value. This index value is stored in the effects list instead of a pointer to the tick timer to eliminate the chance of a bad pointer dereferencing.
    ---------------------
    r2248
    more optimizations (done with this for now unless I decide to speed the spawn send/removes check further)
    ---------------------
    r2249
    removed a check (the attackable EntityBitmask on aggro checks, non-attackable NPCs can still engage in combat with other NPCs)
    ---------------------
    r2250
    likely fix for the recent crash iterating through ChunkServer::npc_list LuaErrors will now append the offending script name automatically
    ---------------------
    r2251
    extra safety check for Lua script name debugging (fail)
    ---------------------
    r2252
    Update: Animation for using a bow/xbow and also swapping from range to melee should be good now.
    ---------------------
    r2253
    Updated: Corrected opcode value 
    Added: Handling of OP_TeleportInChunk 
    Added: Saving of client teleport response 
    ---------------------
    r2254
    Update: Change from localhost to 127.0.0.1 due to sql connection changes
    ---------------------
    r2255
    Huge crafting update. Should allow the tutorial crafting quests on Isle of Dawn and creation of first crafting item. **NOTE** Remove recipeinfolist.h and recipeinfolist.cpp from your projects. Add craftinginfolist.h and craftinginfolist.cpp to your project (A more suitable name). You can also add 'Crafting' to your vgemu-world.xml for proper logging.  
    ---------------------
    r2256
    Quick sanity check to prevent runaway (non-stackable) items filling inventory.
    ---------------------
    r2257
    Modified code to allow any following npc to cross chunk lines.
    ---------------------
    r2258
    >>>>>********* Added basic chunk water/lava geo detection checks (grab the volumes.phys file)! ***********<<<<<<
    Added a world timeout to login so that the webpage module can better detect NT's server status while debugging
    Changed the auto attack check for NPCs with the "gold" locked encounter UI mode
    ---------------------
    r2259
    Added: IsAttackable() Lua Function Added: ItemRefreshTimer() Lua Function Added: SendItemRefreshTimer() packet function
    ---------------------
    r2260
    Update: Forgot the define for ItemRefreshTimer
    ---------------------
    r2261
    Update: Heals spells floating combat text should be green now and partial heal amounts should show now.
    ---------------------
    r2262
    Added: NPC's should no longer aggro someone if they get in to range if the npc is already in combat.
    ---------------------
    r2263
    Added: Characters will now go into combat if aggroed by a npc 
    Updated: Characters will no longer be removed from combat if attacking multiple mobs and they kill one of them.
    ---------------------
    r2264
    Format correction
    ---------------------
    r2265
    Fixed a couple small things with groups (UI mostly) Added a Lua function GetOriginalLocation by request
    ---------------------
    r2266
    forgot structs
    ---------------------
    r2268
    Added: All Quest Difficulty level experience is now a rule
    Added: All Quest XP Modifiers are now a rule
    Added: Handles for all Quest Types
    Added: Define for all spheres
    ---------------------
    r2269
    Added: Speed value to .spawn details
    Added: DefaultCombatGroundSpeed rule
    Added: GetDefaultCombatGroundSpeed() LUA function
    Update: NPC combat movement speed is now a Rule
    ---------------------
    r2270
    Added: When you clear your target and have a mob attacking you it will move to the encounter window until it hits you or you target it.
    Updated: Adjusted check to break root and changed the chance to break to a stored value assigned via LUA
    Added: Snared() IsSnared() LUA Functions
    Updated: Rooted() LUA function to accept a value for chance to break
    Updated: Should no longer get a Lua SpellDamageTargets command error when you don't have a target while having a DOT going.
    Updated: NPC movement to account for snare and root effects.
    Updated: Add encounter window now has a second value to bypass checks for current target.
    Added: Casting a spell that is not a instant cast will now slow your movement considerably
    Added: RootBreakChance() and SetIsSnared() and GET's for both
    ---------------------
    r2271
    Update: Check to stop a crash if your target dies/Despawns and the server then tries to remove a detrimental effect.
    ---------------------
    r2272
    Update: Moved removal of casting movement restrictions all spells with cast times should be covered now.
    ---------------------
    r2273
    Updated: Corrected damage type defines
    ---------------------
    r2275
    Added: EXP table for all three spheres (adventure, crafting and diplomacy)
    Added: Crafting and Diplomacy EXP bar will now fill correctly
    Added: You will no longer level once you hit max level per server rule.
    Added: You will no longer gain experience when at max experience and max level
    Update: You will no longer get the experience message if it does not yield any experience
    ---------------------

• 578 posts
    August 20, 2016 10:25 PM PDT

Am I reading this last update correctly?? Mobs will now follow you ACROSS chunk lines??? IIRC before all you had to do was chunk to lose aggro, if this is true it's pretty awesome and I think I will love a VG emulator. SO many things can be fixed and VG could be made even more epic!

Other than that, keep up the great work Xinux!!

• 82 posts
    August 21, 2016 1:47 PM PDT

Yea right now we are ony using it for quest npc's that you have to escort/follow but it wouldn't be to hard to add it to mobs that are trying to kill you. ;)

• 82 posts
    August 21, 2016 1:51 PM PDT

Here is a few more since my last up update.

r2278
    Added: Spell casting push back and spell interrupts when taking damage.

The more your spell gets pushed back the greater chance to be interrupted

Added: Casting() and IsCasting() LUA functions

Added: SetIsCasting() bool at the pawn level

Added: SpellInterruptBaseChance and SpellPushBackBaseChance rules

---------------------

r2280
    enhanced water detection (can discern between swimming depth and just touching water now)
    ---------------------

r2281
    Added: Pet's should only be able to attack attackable npc's

Added: Item charges should now be working correctly

Added: RemoveCharges() LUA function

Added: current_charges and max_charges are now loading/saving from character_items
    ---------------------

r2283
    Added: Command .gminvis on/off

Added: Will not show on /who list unless GM or DEV when using GMInvis

Added: Will not replicate to other clients when using GMInvis
    ---------------------

This post was edited by Xinux at August 21, 2016 1:52 PM PDT
  • August 22, 2016 12:26 PM PDT

"

r2283
    Added: Command .gminvis on/off

Added: Will not show on /who list unless GM or DEV when using GMInvis