Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Vanguard Emulator

• 82 posts
    April 14, 2018 4:40 PM PDT

Posted something for you to try on our forums.

• 81 posts
    April 15, 2018 10:18 AM PDT

Thanks for all your hard work, Xinux.

• 82 posts
    May 3, 2018 4:57 PM PDT

Rev 3214 - 3227

Cliff Notes

Brotherhood System is now live

Getting stuck on loading screen when logging is mostly gone now. *Client being very picky on packet order*

Bag item restrictions have been implemented

Added some more checks on inventory space when trading, buying etc etc

Revision: 3227
    Author: Xinux
    Date: Thursday, May 03, 2018 3:21:16 PM
    Added: Brotherhood's should now be working.
    Added: Cleanup of brotherhoods on server start
    SQL Update: Rev 3226 - Brotherhood character updates.sql

----
    Revision: 3226
    Date: Monday, April 23, 2018 10:53:24 AM
    Update: Fixed handling of trade window when no inventory space available
    ----
    Revision: 3225
    Date: Friday, April 20, 2018 5:09:38 PM
    Added: Container restrictions ie... No more non-ammo in your ammo bag
    Added: Checking target character has enough open space when trading.
    Updated: Should see less non-crafting items in your crafting table list
    SQL Update: Rev 3225 - Item add item_fit.sql

----
    Revision: 3224
    Author: OncaLupe
    Date: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:54:27 PM
    Added Lua:AddQuestPrereqSubClass(Quest, Sub_Class)
    ----
    Revision: 3223
    Author: OncaLupe
    Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:17:52 AM
    Fix for using .poicreate command for locations or chunks with special characters in them.
    ----
    Revision: 3222
    Date: Monday, April 16, 2018 3:43:15 PM
    ----
    Revision: 3221
    Date: Monday, April 16, 2018 3:22:24 PM
    Update: More packet order work when logging in
    ----
    Revision: 3220
    Date: Monday, April 16, 2018 2:05:00 PM
    Update: Changed how items are initially sent to the client since it appears to want them in a certain order
    ----
    Revision: 3219
    Date: Monday, April 16, 2018 11:02:40 AM
    Update: Replaced same values with defines.
    ----
    Revision: 3218
    Author: smash
    Date: Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:27:10 AM
    ----
    Revision: 3217
    Author: Faux
    Date: Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:05:32 AM
    Function to remove all subclass spells from lua.
    Check for whether a character is dead when they attempt to cast a spell. Some disciple reported being able to res himself after he died.
    ----
    Revision: 3216
    Date: Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:15:35 PM
    Update: Removed stack size from assembly component display window on icon.
    ----
    Revision: 3215
    Date: Saturday, April 14, 2018 5:25:54 PM
    Added: Couple of safety checks for invalid items
    ----
    Revision: 3214
    Date: Friday, April 13, 2018 1:05:45 PM
    Update: Fix for crafting results overwriting vector entry
    ----

• 769 posts
    May 3, 2018 5:35 PM PDT

Out of curiosity - and pardon me if this is a "dumb" question - but how far along is the progress? I realize it's "playable" right now. What I mean is, if you were to tack on a percentage in which 100% = Vanguard at sunset, what would that be? 20%? 50%? If I were to log in right now, create a character and begin playing, how quickly would it be obvious that it's still being worked on (keeping in mind that those of us who played are well aware of the bugs in the original)? Would it be as obvious to someone who has never played Vanguard before, versus someone who has and fondly remembers all the bugs/features?

And please, this isn't anything but idle curiosity. I think you're a friggin' saint for even doing this, and I hope you don't take this question as anything other than face value. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at May 3, 2018 5:36 PM PDT
    • 82 posts
    May 3, 2018 7:00 PM PDT

Nope not a dumb question but also not a easy one to answer with a straight percentage value. There are two main aspects to recreating VG SOH you have the core systems and content/scripting basically. 

Let's look at core systems which entails combat, crafting, harvesting, diplomacy, housing, boats, NPC AI etc etc. I would have to say that most of that work is complete expect for housing, boats (which will be awhile still trying to figure them out) and finishing mostly implemented systems like Caravan (Which i'm working on next) and a few others but to throw a value out there I would say 80% is coded.

Now the next part content and scripting which i'm putting together cause they basically go hand in hand. Scripting for example even tho the spell system is in and working someone still has to touch every single spell and script it to do X which can take a little time espically when we have to add in special functions just to handle some of the more complex spells. Crafting we have to add in the database every outcome for a crafting recipe and a single recipe can have 12 different outcomes depending on the ingredients and actions you use so we have to create a item that matches the outcome if we didn't collect it from live. Diplomacy/Quests we were able to auto create most of what we collected but someone still has to touch each parley/quest and tweak where needed.

Content ie... Quests, Chunks, Boss fights etc etc... These all have to be scripted plus we only have the data we collected from live to work with and even tho we have a good many quests, dialog, NPC's we are missing a ton of quest data and dialog from about level 30+ so we will at some point have to start creating our own quests and dialog. So in the department on content honestly that will be a work in progress for a very long time and just to throw a number out for content/scripting I would say maybe 20% on the data we have available to us.

Now you might be saying to yourself 20% is nothing well VG was honeslty one of the bigger mmorpg's out there in regards to content there was a ton to do and explore. I have to give a ton of respect for the content team working on scripting, recreating quests from scratch when we can find information on it and cleaning up spawns in chunks. I've seen them on all day working on VGOEmu to bring VG back to life and without them we wouldn't even be that far and also the other developers who are still here and have left us for Pantheon ;) thanks for all your hard work and hours you dedicated of your time.

Sorry kinda got off topic going to leave you with some current numbers on how the scripting is going. FYI we did not get any server code or database of Vanguard we coded our own login server and world server and using the data we packet collected from live which is why it's taking us longer then some of the emualtor's out that working off a leaked copy of whatever server they are hosting.

Each one of these has either been created from scratch or tweaked by the content team.

Spell Scripts - 732

Spawn Scripts - 6,136

Item Scripts - 371

Quest Scripts - 2,024

Chunks - 38

If you have any more questions or need me to clarify anything just ask and i'll answer the best I can.

This post was edited by Xinux at May 3, 2018 7:15 PM PDT
    • 98 posts
    May 3, 2018 10:12 PM PDT

My rough estimate: 60% of what's necessary to launch.

• 769 posts
    May 4, 2018 10:05 AM PDT

Xinux said:

Now you might be saying to yourself 20% is nothing well VG was honeslty one of the bigger mmorpg's out there in regards to content there was a ton to do and explore. 

For what it's worth, this thought never crossed my mind :)

Thanks for the info, Xinus. That answered my question and then some. I wish I had any relevant experience at all that I could use to assist in this, but as it is, I can only stand on the sidelines and cheer you guys on.

Ya'll keep on fighting the good fight. 

• 82 posts
    June 6, 2018 4:50 PM PDT

Caravan system should be implemented this week just need to finsh cleaning up the code, adding in comments and some more testing. The caravan system is going to be a little different on the emulator then it was on live so here is the basic run down of our implementation.

Live

4 Hour character offline time required.

Removed from caravan once you use it.

Must log out in 10 minutes once you joined.

Emulator

4 Hour character offline time required.

No longer removed from your caravan.

No longer need to log out once you joined.

You will not be able to use the caravan to get to any chunk that is key or flagged required.

The caravan system really didn't get used much after rifts were added in live i'm trying to make it a little more appealing with our changes.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any suggestions.

This post was edited by Xinux at June 6, 2018 4:51 PM PDT
    • 769 posts
    June 6, 2018 5:06 PM PDT

Warms my cold dark heart every time you post these updates. 

• 1785 posts
    June 7, 2018 12:38 AM PDT

I am almost as excited about this project as I am about Pantheon :)  I'm eagerly awaiting the day that you all say "it's (mostly) done now, come and play!"

Keep up the great work Xinux and team :)

• 82 posts
    August 9, 2018 12:28 PM PDT

Been meaning to post some updates so here you go this is not everything just some that stood out.

Added: Dynamic starting and stopping of surrounding chunks as you move through chunks.

* Basically with the above system as you move through chunks any connected chunk that is not started will start and stay started as long as there is a player in a adjacent chunk or the chunk is set to always loaded. With this we don't have to have every chunk running and you no longer have to wait for the chunk to start when you move in to the next one. 

Added: Ability for necromancer to name permanent pets

Added: Ability to assign crafting experience per recipe

Added: Per-player loot

Added: Lua:AddLoot() now takes an optional Spawn param. If set, only that player will see the item. Sparklies react as expected.

Added: proc damage messages to be sent to the client

Added: Caravan system (Could still use a few tweaks but functional now)

Added: caravan_restricted flag to chunks

Update: Fix for items of different quality stacking.

Updated: Fixed timed quest system.

Update: Fix diplomacy strategy hand crash

Update: Fixed buyback issue

Update: Tweak to combat to remove orphaned worldcharacter

Update: spells table to include is_passive and is_combo flags.

Update: checks on client attempting to use a spell. Now ends if either is_passive or is_combo are 1 and sends a message to the player.

Update: Tweaked how autoattack is started. All melee attacks that do damage should now start autoattack.

Update: Fix for Mez

Update: Fix for NPC attacking you if you zone back in to a chunk that you just ran from while being attacked

Update: Fix for being able to get infinite copies of an item if there was an unique item after it that you already have in corpse loot.

Update: Fix for sparklies not vanishing for group members after a player looted the last item from a corpse.

Update: Tamed mobs with a script attached to it now follow you correctly

Update: UI window now goes away when your tamed mob dies.

Update: Moved parley rewards and faction hits in to the complete function to fix exploit

Update: Fix for aggressive mobs attacking you when charmed or themselves

Update: Fixed Falling damage after dismounting from a flying mount. Can't tell if player has landed, so can't properly apply Parachute buff right now.

Update: Fixed Class point changes for Monk/Disc were not being saved on level change.

Update: Changed harvesting to either end harvest if atleast half the node has been consumed or reset if less than half has been consumed

Update: changed procs to only hit on a successful hit

Update: Crafting arrows and throwing weapons stack is based off crafting results now

Update: Crafting arrows and throwing weapons stats are no longer adjusted

This post was edited by Xinux at August 9, 2018 12:29 PM PDT
    • 844 posts
    August 9, 2018 2:17 PM PDT

Fantastic job Xinux and the others. Wish I could do more to help.

• 1019 posts
    September 17, 2018 3:34 PM PDT

Glad I found this thead.  Props to ya Xinux.

• 82 posts
    November 24, 2018 6:19 PM PST

I know it's been awhile and i'll get a change log posted up next week but we are looking for input from ex-live vanguard players on how we are looking to change the mechanics around crafting jewelry.

https://www.vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4914

• 82 posts
    December 3, 2018 9:49 PM PST

Ok here are the cliff notes since the last time I gave you guy's a update.

Added: Tool name if missing a certain tool for crafting
    Added: Handling and storing of crafting tool-belt
    Added: Slowing of crafting actions sent to the client since we were sending to much at once to the client
    Added: Can no longer equip/unequip items while crafting
    Added: AP cost to change active tool-belt while crafting
    Added: Players will now equip/unequip crafting tool based off crafting action
    Added: Storing of previous bag and slot value when equipping crafting tools while crafting
    Added: Loading/Saving of active tool-belt and handling when equip/unequip
    Added: Learned abilities will now go to your main bar if there is room
    Added: Learned high rank abilities will now over previous rank hotkey
    Added: Handling of crafting reward based on quantity
    Added: Handling of crafting reward by special proc
    Added: Combat forms will be removed when you die now
    Added: Special handling for crafting jewelry cause of course it can't work like all the other crafting
    Added: Check to make sure you are not processing a action when you try and use one
    Added: Dismounting players when they enter the water while mounted
    Update: fix for item not going from boe to soulbound when using toolbelt
    Update: Fix for parley indicator disappearing
    Update: Fix for auto attack toggling off in combat *hopefully*
    Update: Fix for going out of combat as soon as you pull a mob
    Update: Fix for being able to cast while Harvesting
    Update: Fix for gaining skill ups when casting combat form
    Update: Fix for still being able to harvest with a skill you no longer have after changing skills
    Update: Fix for random special chance when crafting
    Update: Fix for stuns
    Update: Fix for double scrolling combat numbers when a player gets melee hit
    Update: Fix for proc damage not always showing above target
    Update: Fix animation when changing from weapon to hand to hand.
    Update: Fix for Brotherhood XP not being split.
    Update: Fix for not getting all Brotherhood XP on login
    Update: Fix for pet heals text appearing over target npc
    Update: Fix for Disc finisher not going through the whole chain
    Update: Fix for not seeing damage from hitting more then 1 npc
    Update: Fix for Cone and Frontal AoEs not hitting the proper targets.
    Update: Fix for complications not removing after the correct amount of turns
    Update: Fix for quality level jumping from D to A
    Update: Fix for equipped items being lost when swapping with another.
    Update: Fix not being able to move items after you finish crafting
    Update: Fix for being able to single pull mobs with a range weapon
    Update: Fix for dupe bug when trading stackable items
    Update: Dual wielding weapons will see a increase in damage over using a single one hander
    Update: Crafting will now show all missing items and such when selecting a recipe
    Update: Cone and Frontal AoEs no longer need a target to use.
    Update: will now swap to adventure/appearance gear if you select appearance while not in adventure gear
    Update: Attachments, chunking and swapping between gear sets should hopefully be fixed now
    Update: Only tool-belt's will now be checked for crafting tools
    Update: Now checking to make sure you are facing your target when needed for spells
    Update: Critical damage should now be showing in the melee damage packet
    Update: Buff's should no longer disappear if you tab out while in full screen
    Update: Changed priority of quest icons and quests out of level range should not show
    Update: adjust melee hit chance
    Update: adjusted spell resist chance

This post was edited by Xinux at December 3, 2018 9:51 PM PST
    • 82 posts
    December 12, 2018 8:39 PM PST

Added: All skills and attributes now factor in to crafting
    Added: All complications bonuses and penalties now factor in to crafting
    Added: If recipe does not use a primary crafting skill it will do a extra check for the primary of that recipe
    Added: Complications can now make you UN-complete a crafting step
    Added: You will now un-equip your crafting tool if you cancel your crafting session
    Added: Created server rules for tweaking values in regards to crafting
    Added: **Temporary addition of the item ID to the item description for development**
    Update: Will now make sure you have enough action points plus complications to do a action
    Update: You can now change equipment up till you start adding to your crafting table
    Update: Struct file

• 271 posts
    December 12, 2018 9:03 PM PST

Appreciate everyone's work as always;

Sadly, still unplayable for me, same issue as always, everything white, only the UI being visible.

Am convinced it's due to an overclocked RAM, CPU (core+uncore) and/or altered base clock or spectrum. Which -i'd repeat- entails some change from your end, as i'd played the 'original' from an overclocked PC as well; main frequency, southbridge, northbridge, DDR3, everything was tweaked there too but had never had any issues, let alone total unplayability.

Sincerely hoping this gets fixed at some point. And because i can anticipate one's advising me to "disable everything and re-re-boot", well.. that's not very practical, now is it :)

*if it was on a much older engine, i could see how a modern OCed PC could cause issues, but not here. Is there some internal trigger related to any of this that you may perhaps have activated?

** As it's been a while, in the off chance you no longer recall: Shaders on or off, re-dowloading the client, deleting cache, each and every gfx option activated or deactivated, compatibility mode on or off, none of these have helped.

This post was edited by Aenra at December 12, 2018 9:08 PM PST
    • 82 posts
    December 12, 2018 9:39 PM PST

Wish I could tell you I know what is causing your issue but I don't. The client is from the last day VG was live that was downloaded and patched but never logged in so basically a clean client. The only file that get's changed is the loginserver.txt file and the launcher does that other then that it's just packet data back and forth from the server/client which there is nothing in regards to the engine/configuration that we have seen. I've downloaded that same client on my both my home machines, work and my laptop with no issues. I know the amd ryzen threadripper 1950x cpu has issues with the client and you have run something like Process Lasso and force it to run in single-threaded mode or else the client won't start. If I hear of anyone else having your issue and finding a fix for it you will be the first person I inform but currently I have no fix sorry.

• 271 posts
    December 14, 2018 5:12 PM PST

Xinux said:you will be the first person I inform but currently I have no fix sorry

You've nothing to be sorry about; am very, very grateful for all that you do and to what extent possible, have done my best to let people know :)

( and i also appreciate your patience with this.. first world problems, but i don't have a 'normal' PC to run it with, though come to think of it, i'll go Google its original requirements, see if i can rig something up )

• 82 posts
    April 27, 2019 10:34 PM PDT

It's been awhile since i've posted sorry about that i'll do a proper changelog post soon in the mean time here is a few videos of my work on bringing back tombstone's since they broke them shortly before sunset.

This one is creation of the tombstone and being ressed via tombstone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEwTT70AvI

This one is working on giving and revoking consent to drag your tombstone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnsgfbSTRyE href="https://youtu.be/XnsgfbSTRyE" target="_blank">

This post was edited by Xinux at April 27, 2019 10:34 PM PDT
    • 82 posts
    June 5, 2019 4:27 PM PDT

WIP on the fishing system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJtYC4J7mM

This post was edited by Xinux at June 5, 2019 4:27 PM PDT
    • 82 posts
    April 19, 2020 2:34 PM PDT

Thanks to Foof look's like the locking up while loading in from character select and sometimes going to a different chunk is finally fixed also We are replacing the marketplace cash currency with Ancient Sigils that can be earned in game and looking for ideas https://www.vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5262 ;. We also have a geo system in place now so there should be no more aggroing through walls/floors and casting does do line of sight checks now.

This post was edited by Xinux at April 19, 2020 2:36 PM PDT