Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dailies for Faction or XP/Cash

• 1618 posts
    December 26, 2016 2:36 PM PST

What are your thought on daily quests for faction grinds, XP, cash, etc?

• 2130 posts
    December 26, 2016 2:40 PM PST

Absolutely object. It's nothing but an exercising in artificially gating content with time restrictions. People should be able to XP, get cash, and get faction on their own schedule. Artificially putting everyone on the same path is themeparky and terrible, imo.

• 73 posts
    December 26, 2016 2:55 PM PST

Yeah, I'm not a real fan of the daily quests, daily login "bonuses", or similar ideas.

To me, that's to entice people to log on to get their daily award and give them something to do hoping they keep coming back. If done right, which so far some of these devs have shown very well, you will want to keep coming back for the content. The world should be rich enough for you to find something to do all the time.

With that said, I'm not against yearly events (ie Christmas, Halloween, etc.)

• 2419 posts
    December 26, 2016 2:59 PM PST

Beefcake said:

You know what a daily is at it most distilled foundation?  Logging in, getting a group and going out to do stuff.  That's a daily.  That is all you need.  Just log in and go do stuff.

• 633 posts
    December 26, 2016 3:05 PM PST

I agree with everyone here, I'm annoyed by dailies these days.  They make the game very monotonous.

• 1618 posts
    December 26, 2016 3:18 PM PST

For me, dailies prevent people from exploring the world. A lot of people feel that dailies have to be done before doing other activities or they might lose out on something. If only have 5 hours to play in a night and you spend 2 hours completing dailies, then take 30 minutes to organize your banks and find a group, another 30 minutes to get everyone there and started, you only have 2 hours of actual game time left.

Dailies are more for a mature game, where all content has been explored and you are tired of creating alts and now need a reason to log in.

I hope Pantheon doesn't get to that point for several years.

• 610 posts
    December 26, 2016 3:22 PM PST

No no no no and hell no

One of the things ruining MMOs....makes it a game and not a world

• 36 posts
    December 26, 2016 3:31 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Beefcake said:

You know what a daily is at it most distilled foundation?  Logging in, getting a group and going out to do stuff.  That's a daily.  That is all you need.  Just log in and go do stuff.

A good MMO does not need to make 'daily quests'. A good MMO ecourages you to log on daily without forcing you to do it. WoW has done poorly this expansion in that regard.

Repeating content is inevitable, but daily quests are lazy design and make no sense other that to fill time.

• 32 posts
    December 26, 2016 4:04 PM PST

I'll make a devil's advocate case for 'daily' quest / task content. Suppose that they would be implemented only in the context of the lore of the game and perhaps also the economy.  For instance, if an NPC guild or faction needs a certain amount of herbs to maintain their healing services provided to players for a fee.  Or if the fighter's guild / smithing guild / etc needs a certain amount of refined ore periodically to maintain their armory, and they also charge for repairs / training / equipment.  I wouldn't have a huge problem with what is effectively a daily limit on how much one character could pursue these type of activities, nor would I have a big problem with a robust economy that involved NPC's for some functions. 

This may be a minority view and that's fine.  Maybe there is no middle ground here; if that is the case I'm fine with it too but I am interested in what the other patrons here think.

This post was edited by Tatertoad at December 26, 2016 4:06 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 26, 2016 4:23 PM PST

One acceptable time for dailies was the plan for EQNext city builds. They were going to start out with Qeynos being founded. Then players would work to harvest the area, build new parts, exterminate monsters, etc. On each server, there would be a different "trigger point", such as certain sets of tasks completed, but no one would know what it was. The exact trigger would be different on each server, so if new server completed the story before another, the other servers couldn't just copy the actions to activate the trigger.

When the hidden goals were met, a new expansion area, event, or something else would happen to progress the story line.

However, this could still be implemented without dailies, just repeatable activities.

• 94 posts
    December 26, 2016 4:37 PM PST

Beefcake said:

One acceptable time for dailies was the plan for EQNext city builds. They were going to start out with Qeynos being founded. Then players would work to harvest the area, build new parts, exterminate monsters, etc. On each server, there would be a different "trigger point", such as certain sets of tasks completed, but no one would know what it was. The exact trigger would be different on each server, so if new server completed the story before another, the other servers couldn't just copy the actions to activate the trigger.

When the hidden goals were met, a new expansion area, event, or something else would happen to progress the story line.

However, this could still be implemented without dailies, just repeatable activities.

i like that idea for the city builds. closest i saw to that was horizons when towns could be in effect built by ppl who put money into the town for crafters etc. you might log back in and find the town overrun by mobs and have to retake it or even rebuild it and hire guards to guard it. you were getting attacked all the time in the normal cities. to me horizons was so forward thinking with virtually all of its ideas. they forgot one thing. real loot. all you got were crafting mats. anyways building up towns from the ground up are def a good way to do "dailies" as you are helping the general populace expand the game. horizons also had trigger points that dif servers had to meet to move the story line forward and alot of crafters were needed to build alot of dif things so it was a true community.

This post was edited by sunstalkr at December 26, 2016 4:38 PM PST
    • 1303 posts
    December 26, 2016 7:48 PM PST

Seriously dislike repeatable daily quests. When I have time to log in I dont want to have a feeling that I need to get the dailies done to get the cash, or the faction, or whatever. I desperately miss the feeling of thinking thru what time I have to play, planning out what new thing I'm going to explore or what quest I'm going to try to make some headway on, or what tradeskill components I'm going to gether, and where, and how many I'll need. I dont want to be spoon fed more "Do this thing we've led you by the hand to and encouraged you to repeat for weeks or months so we can keep taking your subscription dollars.". 

Please no. Please. 

• 1281 posts
    December 26, 2016 7:53 PM PST

I want quest to be quality over quantity. I guess I don't mind short solo quest that may come off a missive board or something, but I don't want them to be "dailys", perhaps only allow each player to do them once.

• 780 posts
    December 26, 2016 7:56 PM PST

Definitely not a fan.  I remember periods in WoW where I would log in only because I felt obliged to do my dailies.

• 284 posts
    December 26, 2016 8:47 PM PST

Object to dailies. I think the slowing down of the content grind (by making things generally harder to get) will solve most of the "problem" that modern games had and created dailies t osolve.

Frankly, to me it seems like a much more fun idea to log in, explore and take on perception system quests for an hour or so, then work on base acclimation to some climate for a bit (here's hoping there's an opportunity to watch some noobs get to close to a lava flow or something), then meet up with an AA grinding static (on an off day) or raid group (raid day) and exp grind at whatever camp sounds fun. Almost totally unstructured, scratching a fraction of the content, and yet I could just do that and have fun with friends  every day.

• 1860 posts
    December 26, 2016 9:09 PM PST

The way WoW implemented dailies is the reason why there is so much ill will towards them.  Dailies have the possibility to be so much more.

They don't have to be monotonous rinse repeat quests.  There could be 1000 different quest from the same quest giver, one is randomly available to do once per day.  Or It could be a very long quest with hundreds of steps that are broken up into parts that are only doable once per day. 

It doesn't have to be doing the same thing over and over.

As someone who has repeatedly run out of  things to do in games (content/rewards to attain/incentive to play etc) before the next expansion comes out, I appreciate having my play broken up into smaller pieces so that I can't complete it all in a few months.  This type of quest availability keeps people playing over a longer period of time.

Daily quests can be fun and beneficial if they are implemented well.  If done correctly people should think they are fantastic.  Most people haven't had that experience.

This post was edited by philo at December 26, 2016 9:24 PM PST
    • 85 posts
    December 27, 2016 12:47 AM PST

It seems my opinion this matter is opposite the majority here. I like to see some form of daily quests which just help with a little extra coin or a small XP boost. Simple things that can be repeatable for each zone, for example in a goblin cave there is a request to collect X amount of goblin necklaces or a tradeskill trainer which needs X amount of item crafted which help boost your crafting abilities a bit. Nothing should force you to feel obligated to login everyday though.

• 690 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:44 AM PST

Dailies in games turns games into jobs. Having to log in every single day to do the same exact thing just to compete or accomplish your goals is silly IMHO. The horizon is nice and very enjoyable...But I would like to see a game for once where the now is enjoyable too.

• 24 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:13 AM PST

I do not like dailies and I feel they are a sign that the game is over and the game creators are just giving players busy work . Plus, dailies add to the "lets get a quick pick up group for dailies" taking away from the socialized game play this game is striving for.  I know they were created for players who had maxed out thier characters too quickly and then complained there wasnt any content left.  Hopefully the new content will keep people sated for a long while.

• 318 posts
    December 27, 2016 5:20 AM PST

Yep. Sign me up for NO Dailies. It makes the game feel monotonous and too much like work.

• 109 posts
    December 27, 2016 6:27 AM PST

Dailies in every aspect are horrible in my opinion.

It causes people to want to log in, do the 'daily' stuff and then log out. Ruins the sense of community, exploration, random stuff.

No daily quests

No daily zone

No zones that give xp bonuses on a day of the week.

Id prefer none of it. Simply make the game great and VR is doing that. The rest will fall into place

Oh and little off topic, no xp bonus for not playing your character cause that cause people to not play a character cause they will not get free bonus xp. However long it takes is how long it is suppose to take.

• 29 posts
    December 27, 2016 6:46 AM PST

Beefcake said:

Dailies are just a lazy way of trying to create the illusion of content.

• 89 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:04 AM PST

Unlike most here, I have no objection to daily quests so long as they're tied into the lore.  The example that Beefcake gave is pretty perfect.  An NPC town builder needs stone to work on some project so he sends you out to collect some from a nearby quarry.  When you return he thanks you and tells you that with all the stone you and other adventurers gathered that he should be good for several [in game] days and to check back then [tomorrow in real time].

Something similar I've asked for in the past are repeateable tasks or standing quests for bounties that aren't logged but that any player can complete at any time for xp and/or cash rewards.  In my mind these would work exactly like the deathfist sash, crushbone belts, gnoll fangs, and kobold paw quests that were in EQ.  If you have the bounty item you can turn in however many you want and get scaled rewards, then go out and get more if you want.  They just need a slightly better organization system than EQ had.  Hell, it's be a good use of the perception system to have a wanted poster in the town square and get the task that way.

I'm all for almost any content regardless of the form, as long as it doesn't break immersion.

• 201 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:22 AM PST

No.

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:27 AM PST

Gurt said:

Unlike most here, I have no objection to daily quests so long as they're tied into the lore.  The example that Beefcake gave is pretty perfect.  An NPC town builder needs stone to work on some project so he sends you out to collect some from a nearby quarry.  When you return he thanks you and tells you that with all the stone you and other adventurers gathered that he should be good for several [in game] days and to check back then [tomorrow in real time].

Something similar I've asked for in the past are repeateable tasks or standing quests for bounties that aren't logged but that any player can complete at any time for xp and/or cash rewards.  In my mind these would work exactly like the deathfist sash, crushbone belts, gnoll fangs, and kobold paw quests that were in EQ.  If you have the bounty item you can turn in however many you want and get scaled rewards, then go out and get more if you want.  They just need a slightly better organization system than EQ had.  Hell, it's be a good use of the perception system to have a wanted poster in the town square and get the task that way.

I'm all for almost any content regardless of the form, as long as it doesn't break immersion.

I dont mind the notion of repeatable quests. I mind the notion that a quest is on some arbitrary timer and that you can't turn in 2 sets of 8 deathfist belts back to back, and that somehow my reputation with the dwarves hinges on only handing those in 8 per day. For that matter, I mind the notion that I have to go talk to someone to get permission to run out and get 8 deathfist belts, bring them back, and then wait to ask for permission to go get 8 more. If I find 8 while in the world, even if I dont have any clue what they are for, I should be able to pick them up and then stumble across someone later that says "Hey, those belts you got there, I'll take em off your hand for X coin if you're interested."

This post was edited by Feyshtey at December 27, 2016 7:30 AM PST