Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The P2P system of Pantheon.

This topic has been closed.
    • 36 posts
    December 23, 2016 6:46 PM PST

Well, you know, purchasing the game can mean a couple things...

We know the game isn't going to be F2P based on what the devs have mentioned and being purist-F2P is a great way to ruin most games at launch (bots, P2W/P2P content hidden further in, ect).

So, there are a couple ways the game can be sold.

• WoW, for example, you have to buy the game, you have to buy the expansions and then you pay a subscription. That's it, you have access to everything.
    1. Every time a new expansion comes out, you need to purchase the new expansion.
    2. You need to pay for the subscription.
    • DDO and Wizards 101, for example, are F2P to get in, but do F2P right. You get a taste of the game, then you can't play further without purchasing a subscription and purchasing expansions, or purchasing the modules and expansions as you need them... (this is my favorite)
    1. Paying a subscription, which gets you all the ingame content as long as you paid for the subscription.
    2. Paying for the module, which is typically a small fee but you perminantly unlock that section of the game from then on. Paying for every module in the game is more expensive than a subscription immediately but it pays off in the long run. Playing F2P also locks some features out of the game until you pay enough money and play long enough, then you unlock those features forever. Those features include PMing, trading, character slots... ect.
    3. Need to pay for expansions.
    4. The best solution against bots, imho.
    5. Out of the three I posted, this one targets a wider variety of paying audiances.
    • Guild Wars 2, as another example, is free, but extremely limited.
    1. The base game is free. You can technically play the entire game and reach endgame in this state, but it's much, much, much more difficult. You don't get a full inventory, you can't access certain areas, I believe you can't even trade or use a form of marketplace or even talk generally... basically you play in an extremely annoying existance. You can purchase the game to obtain these features.
    2. You have to pay for expansions. Typically expansions come with the game if you are joining the game late. You need to purchase each expansion as they come out.
    3. Weakest against bots, because the game is still free, albit the bots are hampered by lack of inventory, talking publically or trading.

I think we all can agree that F2P won't work in 2016 with the power of botting, so what kind of pay-2-play system would you like to see come out of Pantheon?

This post was edited by Coda at December 23, 2016 6:50 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    December 23, 2016 6:50 PM PST

They've already established that Pantheon will be subscription based only. You can play early levels of the game free and subscribe to continue playing. Probably $14.99 or something comparable.

• 36 posts
    December 23, 2016 6:57 PM PST

Liav said:

They've already established that Pantheon will be subscription based only. You can play early levels of the game free and subscribe to continue playing. Probably $14.99 or something comparable.

According to the FAQ...

We are considering either using the traditional subscription based model or a model where the player buys the game and then has the option of purchasing mini-expansions or ‘modules’ after launch.

Which means, unless they havn't updated the FAQ, they are still deciding between traditional subscription or module subscription types of payment. I'd personally love a combination of both, but I'm sure others have different opinions, which is why I made this thread.

• 2130 posts
    December 23, 2016 7:29 PM PST

Coda said:

According to the FAQ...

We are considering either using the traditional subscription based model or a model where the player buys the game and then has the option of purchasing mini-expansions or ‘modules’ after launch.

Which means, unless they havn't updated the FAQ, they are still deciding between traditional subscription or module subscription types of payment. I'd personally love a combination of both, but I'm sure others have different opinions, which is why I made this thread.

I'm guessing it will be both, which is what I prefer.

Pay a subscription, buy expansions.

• 563 posts
    December 23, 2016 9:23 PM PST

Liav said:

Coda said:

According to the FAQ...

I'm with Liav. Pay for game, pay subscription, pay for expansions as they come.

• 521 posts
    December 23, 2016 9:42 PM PST

If you watched the latest live stream you would know they have decided, it will be subscription with starter levels being free to play. They didn't specify what levels exactly, but they will have some for players to see if they want to buy it.

• 32 posts
    December 24, 2016 4:42 AM PST

A big part of the allure of the game to me, and I suspect for many others, is the proposed subscription model.  Kudos to the leadership for choosing to go this route.

• 1468 posts
    December 24, 2016 5:42 AM PST

Rachael said:

Liav said:

Coda said:

According to the FAQ...

I'm with Liav. Pay for game, pay subscription, pay for expansions as they come.

I agree with Liav and Racheal.

• 610 posts
    December 24, 2016 6:54 AM PST

I love the sub model, with buyable xpacs

as long as there is NO cash shop, I know VRI has said there will be none but if revenue falls short I know its always an options in the back of their minds

This post was edited by Sevens at December 24, 2016 6:56 AM PST
    • 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 7:45 AM PST

Sevens said:

as long as there is NO cash shop, I know VRI has said there will be none but if revenue falls short I know its always an options in the back of their minds

Well cash shops are a great thing, in many ways. If you restrict the user from exploiting the system.

So if i added real life money to my account and wanted to purchase non P2W items within the game to deck out my in game house, guild hall, or even basic things i could.

It changes the character looks, without effecting the game play at all, and still adds extra revenue to the company.

You could even convert left over cash in your account to in game currency (up to a certain amount) without causing ill effect to the ecomony. Such items, etc... that are on normal traders only.

Items in the auction houses, for sale that are dropped looted item can not be purchased for real life money, in any form.

We are speaking of purely cosmetic purchases to an extent.

Popups of real life currency is never seen by the client, it is internal links only and never spammed within the UI to discourage users.

Keeping the in game currency valued high, and the out of game currency low. So that gold sellers can not make more then $1.00 from any method out of the game trade. It is much cheaper to purchase in game by the company.

If you also make gold non traded, only within your account works. If you purchase items, you can not trade them to another character.

If you dont put in cash shops we have these systems that pop up from years of experience watching them.

1. Trading character accounts for cash.

2. Items on Auction house being sold in form outside of the game. Traded to other accounts when purchased.

3. IN game currency up for sale at a discount.

Making things non trade able in the gold department works, the only way to purchase these items is directly within the auction house. If you cant afford the gold in game currency, open up your wallet and purchase this time for xx cents. The user gets the requested gold in game currency with a discount given to the auction house, and the VR company gets a small amount extra.

How does this grief you if you restrict the out of game gold sellers early on?

Remember they are making the money, the company does not.

@sevens, it is not as thought out as i would like it to be. It is all over the place, because it is a system that would have to be thought out much deeper.

- Mainly restricting in game currency from being traded, and you have the ability to purchase ... small amounts of in game currency for real life money up to so many transactions. Items are not able to be traded or passed directly to others, but the ability to trade within your own account unrestricted.

It just boils down to, how can you stop the gold sellers, farmers etc.. but still keeping the internal money within the game. There is many ways these guys handle out of game making. Restrict Pantheon, but still allow for real life $ to be used without causing the economy any issues or have it purchase a difference currency to be able to be used within the auction house. The seller of the items still gets the Gold, the game still gets the cash, and the auction house robs you of a fee.

Items can not be traded once sold to the person, only internally unrestricted.

Auction house items, up for sale by the user will be allowed to be searched by player, and accounted for so if we have 1 lvl 1 character selling items that are valued at 1000k coins, it never happens only internally. Never will out of game currency be traded for in game currency, it is much cheaper to purchase in game currency.

There is a way to restrict and keep cash within the game. It is a very in depth system that has to be thought out.

This post was edited by Crazzie at December 24, 2016 7:55 AM PST
    • 5 posts
    December 24, 2016 7:46 AM PST

I agree with the sub model and buying xpacs but I would prefer to see the xpacs as DLCs costing no more then about $5 each. That way it stays within the budget of people with limited incomes and doesn't make it hard for people that really want to play the game but can't continue because suddenly there is this $40-$90 spike in cost. That doesn't seem like much as a one time spike cost but I know it can be. I've known people on fixed incomes to walk away from games because of that sudden cost.

I also agree with NO cash shop. I'm of the opinion that a cash shop is the gateway to P2W that usually ruins a game and makes we want to think about playing something else.

• 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 8:04 AM PST

Jaxa said:

I agree with the sub model and buying xpacs but I would prefer to see the xpacs as DLCs costing no more then about $5 each. That way it stays within the budget of people with limited incomes and doesn't make it hard for people that really want to play the game but can't continue because suddenly there is this $40-$90 spike in cost. That doesn't seem like much as a one time spike cost but I know it can be. I've known people on fixed incomes to walk away from games because of that sudden cost.

I also agree with NO cash shop. I'm of the opinion that a cash shop is the gateway to P2W that usually ruins a game and makes we want to think about playing something else.

Your used to cash shops that where exploited. You saw the problems, you heard about the exploits but try to keep open minds to the possiblities of a different system that would restrict users from transfering out of game money to a gold seller? If you beat that system you could have 30-100k within the game model and not force them to hike up the subscription prices.

Code in a system that breaks the gold sellers, out of game people and you will enjoy the fact you put $10.00 into the game extra and decided to purchase extra potions that are no gateway to P2W items, or purely cosmetics only items. Crafting items spending 10000 hours to farm, to make dyes, and color changes and you only have 50 hours in two weeks to play. Would you be ok with the ability that someone gave you to purchase some grass to make the color green? For only 15 cents per 1000

There is ways, around this whole cash shop method.. just make it clean and low teir and non traded in game currency but you would never see this $ logo becide the auction house. It is hidden after you place money to your account. Only the game providers can handle the cash in game.

Just saying there is a better way to start crushing these gold sellers out of game.

Ill visit this topic later on and link the out of game cash shops so you see what will happen and how much potential income gets lost for VR.

• 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 8:08 AM PST

I should also mention more on your "Gateway to P2W" comment.

The gold seller places up 100000in game currency for $15.00USD

It takes you approx 100 hours to make 10k in game currency.

The money is traded in game after the purchase.

Now you just allowed the gold seller to sell out of game currency for real life money and the potential to lose income for VR.

Plus......

We just allowed someone else to handle P2W gateway and not VR.

You see where i am coming from? Why an in game currency handler can do much better keeping the money in game.

• 36 posts
    December 24, 2016 8:55 AM PST

Here is the thing about a pure Subscription based system... which is what you guys are suggesting (and this may just be me, but it's something I may as well bring up).

First, let me define a pure subscription based system: Buy game, Buy expansions, Pay for Subscription. Simply put, it's what WoW does. It's clean, it does it's job, ect. I love this system.

My problem with this system is that I feel rushed to complete game content. If I'm spending x$ per month, I feel obligated to get as much as I can out of my dollar to making my character as strong as possible, reaching endgame the fastest, ect. I feel less inclined to explore and really feel the world. I know the team behind Pantheon has already discussed wanting to make the world as full as possible... and want to make it worth exploring... this is why I bring this up.

I'm not saying make the game free to play. Again, that ruins games.

But I would love it if they looked into making sections of the game purchasable indefinitely. I feel much better exploring the world knowing that I spent 30+ dollars unlocking that section of the world forever, and not pressured knowing that I'm 'wasting time' on my 10$ a month subscription. This also lets people with sporadic freetime not feel forced to play to minmax their subscription.

What I suggest is this, make the game have 2 options of purchasing game content.

1. Pay for game, pay for expansions, pay for subscription (x$/month).
    2. Pay for game, pay for expansions, pay for modules of the world permanently (1 time payment of X but more expensive than subscription immediately)

I would gladly play more money knowing I'm not wasting time on a subscription, than paying a subcription... but I will pay for a subscription if that's the only option.

This post was edited by Coda at December 24, 2016 8:57 AM PST
    • 2130 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:21 AM PST

Never thought I'd see the day when someone would advocate for pay to win on the Pantheon forums.

Damn.

• 610 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:33 AM PST

Crazzie said:

Sevens said:

Well cash shops are a great thing, in many ways. If you restrict the user from exploiting the system.

So if i added real life money to my account and wanted to purchase non P2W items within the game to deck out my in game house, guild hall, or even basic things i could.

It changes the character looks, without effecting the game play at all, and still adds extra revenue to the company.

You could even convert left over cash in your account to in game currency (up to a certain amount) without causing ill effect to the ecomony. Such items, etc... that are on normal traders only.

Items in the auction houses, for sale that are dropped looted item can not be purchased for real life money, in any form.

Popups of real life currency is never seen by the client, it is internal links only and never spammed within the UI to discourage users.

Keeping the in game currency valued high, and the out of game currency low. So that gold sellers can not make more then $1.00 from any method out of the game trade. It is much cheaper to purchase in game by the company.

If you also make gold non traded, only within your account works. If you purchase items, you can not trade them to another character.

If you dont put in cash shops we have these systems that pop up from years of experience watching them.

2. Items on Auction house being sold in form outside of the game. Traded to other accounts when purchased.

Making things non trade able in the gold department works, the only way to purchase these items is directly within the auction house. If you cant afford the gold in game currency, open up your wallet and purchase this time for xx cents. The user gets the requested gold in game currency with a discount given to the auction house, and the VR company gets a small amount extra.

@sevens, it is not as thought out as i would like it to be. It is all over the place, because it is a system that would have to be thought out much deeper.

- Mainly restricting in game currency from being traded, and you have the ability to purchase ... small amounts of in game currency for real life money up to so many transactions. Items are not able to be traded or passed directly to others, but the ability to trade within your own account unrestricted.

It just boils down to, how can you stop the gold sellers, farmers etc.. but still keeping the internal money within the game. There is many ways these guys handle out of game making. Restrict Pantheon, but still allow for real life $ to be used without causing the economy any issues or have it purchase a difference currency to be able to be used within the auction house. The seller of the items still gets the Gold, the game still gets the cash, and the auction house robs you of a fee.

Auction house items, up for sale by the user will be allowed to be searched by player, and accounted for so if we have 1 lvl 1 character selling items that are valued at 1000k coins, it never happens only internally. Never will out of game currency be traded for in game currency, it is much cheaper to purchase in game currency.

There is a way to restrict and keep cash within the game. It is a very in depth system that has to be thought out.

Dont care about plat farmers abusing the cash shop, dont care about how apperance Items can be turned off so I cant see them...Cant care for ANY reason or excuse anyone can bring up to justify a cash shop..It hurts the game, period. You want items for your house? Put in recipies so carpenters can make them. You want fancy dress clothes for the kings big ball, put in a pattern so the tailors can make them. Anything ever added to the game should be given to the PLAYERS to create and not stuck in the shop to double dip on a sub based game. No, cash shops are in no way shape or form good, they are soul sucking, game killing worthless cash grabs and nothing more.

• 610 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:39 AM PST

Coda said:

Here is the thing about a pure Subscription based system... which is what you guys are suggesting (and this may just be me, but it's something I may as well bring up).

First, let me define a pure subscription based system: Buy game, Buy expansions, Pay for Subscription. Simply put, it's what WoW does. It's clean, it does it's job, ect. I love this system.

My problem with this system is that I feel rushed to complete game content. If I'm spending x$ per month, I feel obligated to get as much as I can out of my dollar to making my character as strong as possible, reaching endgame the fastest, ect. I feel less inclined to explore and really feel the world. I know the team behind Pantheon has already discussed wanting to make the world as full as possible... and want to make it worth exploring... this is why I bring this up.

But I would love it if they looked into making sections of the game purchasable indefinitely. I feel much better exploring the world knowing that I spent 30+ dollars unlocking that section of the world forever, and not pressured knowing that I'm 'wasting time' on my 10$ a month subscription. This also lets people with sporadic freetime not feel forced to play to minmax their subscription.

What I suggest is this, make the game have 2 options of purchasing game content.

2. Pay for game, pay for expansions, pay for modules of the world permanently (1 time payment of X but more expensive than subscription immediately)

I would gladly play more money knowing I'm not wasting time on a subscription, than paying a subcription... but I will pay for a subscription if that's the only option.

Really? 15 bucks a month is that big a deal that you are somehow compelled to rush to end level to just to max out your character? Seriously?

I mean I understand that money can be tight, Trust me, I have slept under the bushes outside a Taco Bell in Virginia...in december before.

But 15 buck a month is 1 movie ticket, its a dinner at Applebees, its less than what smokers will spend on cigarettes in a week. Im sorry I just dont understand how 15 bucks a month can effect you so bad that you are driven to such extremes because you have a sub?

/boggle

• 188 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:41 AM PST

The market for this type of game may be smaller than in the past, as a lot of players and developers have clearly moved on to smaller mobile games that are full of those cash shops that we all despise so much.  I much prefer a traditional subscription model, and purchasing each expansion as it comes out.  It probably won't happen, but I really hope there is a physical copy of the game as well... I do love to collect those boxes.  

But in terms of subscriptions, I wouldn't mind if things even went up to $49.99 per month, if necessary -- I want this type of game, it's the only one I'll be playing, and I want the devs to get whatever is necessary to sustain it long term.

• 563 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:43 AM PST

Sevens said:

Dont care about plat farmers abusing the cash shop, dont care about how apperance Items can be turned off so I cant see them...Cant care for ANY reason or excuse anyone can bring up to justify a cash shop..It hurts the game, period. You want items for your house? Put in recipies so carpenters can make them. You want fancy dress clothes for the kings big ball, put in a pattern so the tailors can make them. Anything ever added to the game should be given to the PLAYERS to create and not stuck in the shop to double dip on a sub based game. No, cash shops are in no way shape or form good, they are soul sucking, game killing worthless cash grabs and nothing more.

I couldn't agree with this more, everything in game should be obtainable in game through exploration, looting, or crafting :)

• 36 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:44 AM PST

Sevens said:

Crazzie said:

Sevens said:

This is a very long quote about cashshops

Cash shops are about the worst thing someone could add to a game, MMO or not. Even when done correctly, they open the door for more degenerate things.

How do you do a cash shop correctly?

1. Anything purchasable can be obtained through gametime. Even cosmetics. I can give a really good reason for this.
    2. Nothing purchasable can be translated into an in game advantage. Cosmetics can be considered an in game advantage, even if they don't give stats.
    3. Nothing purchasable can be put into the player economy. Ever, for any reason.
    4. Never, ever ever do gacha-anything. Ever.

Even then cash shops are a money grab in their best form.

Sevens said:

Coda said:

Really? 15 bucks a month is that big a deal that you are somehow compelled to rush to end level to just to max out your character? Seriously?

I mean I understand that money can be tight, Trust me, I have slept under the bushes outside a Taco Bell in Virginia...in december before.

But 15 buck a month is 1 movie ticket, its a dinner at Applebees, its less than what smokers will spend on cigarettes in a week. Im sorry I just dont understand how 15 bucks a month can effect you so bad that you are driven to such extremes because you have a sub?

/boggle

I guess it's just the psychology behind it.

Again, if they don't add a module based system, I'd still pay for a subscription, just personally I just found I rush a bit more when 'pressured' by a subscription. It's worth bringing up if other people feel the same way. They make more money off of a module based system anyway.

This post was edited by Coda at December 24, 2016 9:55 AM PST
    • 610 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:54 AM PST

Coda said:

Sevens said:

Crazzie said:

Sevens said:

This is a very long quote about cashshops

Cash shops are about the worst thing someone could add to a game, MMO or not. Even when done correctly, they open the door for more degenerate things.

How do you do a cash shop correctly?

1. Anything purchasable can be obtained through gametime. Even cosmetics. I can give a really good reason for this.
    2. Nothing purchasable can be translated into an in game advantage. Cosmetics can be considered an in game advantage, even if they don't give stats.
    3. Nothing purchasable can be put into the player economy. Ever, for any reason.
    4. Never, ever ever do gacha-anything. Ever.

Even then cash shops are a money grab in their best form.

Sevens said:

Coda said:

/boggle

I guess it's just the psychology behind it.

Again, if they don't add a a module based system, I'd still pay for a subscription, just personally I found I feel I rush a bit more when 'pressured' by a subscription. It's worth bringing up if other people feel the same way. They make more money off of a module based system anyway.

Sorry, I dont mean to come off as an ass (thought I have been told by many on here I am lol). Its hard for me to understand how something like a sub could compell someone to feel pressured to rush rush rush...but then again Im sure a lot of people dont understand my insistance that Pepsi is the greatest thing ever created. We are all wired different.

• 1404 posts
    December 24, 2016 10:00 AM PST

Sevens said:

Crazzie said:

Sevens said:

Well said Sevens, thank you.

@Crazzie I read through Most of your post trying to rationalize and justify why a cash shop is good, then just skimmed the rest looking for anything that would address what Sevens point out and you simply ignore these core problems with a cash shop. Pantheon is a group of people that want to PLAY a game for the items and skills our charrictors will aquire not just purchase them. Any effort, any minute spent by the development team to make any item for a cash shop takes away from the game itself. 

To say that a cash shop can be added without hurting game play is extremely short sighted. Luckily Brad has confirmed numerous times there will be no cash shop. 

• 36 posts
    December 24, 2016 10:01 AM PST

Sevens said:

Sorry, I dont mean to come off as an ass (thought I have been told by many on here I am lol). Its hard for me to understand how something like a sub could compell someone to feel pressured to rush rush rush...but then again Im sure a lot of people dont understand my insistance that Pepsi is the greatest thing ever created. We are all wired different.

No problem and no worries. "Wired different" is probably the perfect and only reason I'm even bring this up. I prefer owning the entire game, or just the parts of the game I'm playing and then playing through on my time, than 'forced' to play while I have a subscription ticking, thats all.

This post was edited by Coda at December 24, 2016 10:06 AM PST
    • 610 posts
    December 24, 2016 10:05 AM PST

Coda said:

Sevens said:

No problem and no worries. "Wired different" is probably the perfect and only reason I'm even bring this up. I prefer owning the entire game and playing through on my time, than 'forced' to play while I have a subscription ticking, thats all.

I really hope that PROTF isnt a game that pushes you to rush to end game (and the devs have stated that they dont want it to be)

Its the journey, not the destination thats important

• 105 posts
    December 24, 2016 10:15 AM PST

Coda said:

Sevens said:

No problem and no worries. "Wired different" is probably the perfect and only reason I'm even bring this up. I prefer owning the entire game and playing through on my time, than 'forced' to play while I have a subscription ticking, thats all.

I'm truly just curious when I ask you this, Coda.  I'm not implying anything nor am I trying to be flippant, I just like to try to understand how people think.

If you paid monthly for SiriusXM radio in your car, would you feel you had to drive a certain amount in order to get your money's worth for the monthly fee?  How about Amazon Prime?  Would you feel pressured to buy things from Amazon in order to get your money's worth for Prime shipping?  

Again, please understand I'm not being facetious or trying to get a rise or inventing forum drama.  I'm just trying to understand how that mindset works.  I hope my questions aren't taken wrong

As for Sevens--Pepsi is, in fact, the greatest thing ever created and I will fight you to the death for a bottle of that sweet, sweet nectar.