Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What do you NOT want to see?

This topic has been closed.
    • 70 posts
    February 21, 2016 7:30 AM PST

The main thing i do not wish to see in pantheon would be severe class limitations.  going from eq1 to eq2 was terrible for me. for example some of my greatest memories were fear kiting in PoD, or duo'ing with a druid in PoF.  having a croud gather to watch some bard attempt to kite a raid dragon, or as simple as getting levitate and taking screenshots on some place that you were never really meant to be.  these things though small and generally boreing and fruitless are what makes the game unique and give a unique experience, when i went to eq2 i got the feel that all classes were basically the same, yes you can still root and fear and mez and snare/kite however anytime you hit the mob it broke and you were forced to fight face to face. i also remember "splitting" via monk mainly or SK if no monks. it took allot of practice, patience, teamwork and knowledge these are all things lost to all modern MMO's and instead were replaced by copy and paste mobs/abilities that take away from what a character is.  there is generally no imagination to characters anymore,  there's only 1 or 2 ways to do an encounter, or gain exp, if you do not have that ability you do not progress, raiding in eq1 for example, yes there may have been a prefered method but if you asked every guild how they killed said encounter you would have 100's of variations, latelely you may have 5, if your lucky. so as earlier stated i would NOT like to see cookie cutter classes, i want abilities to matter and let our imagination determine whats possible.

• 2138 posts
    February 21, 2016 7:30 AM PST

An EQ clone.

Seriously,Pantheon is a different game.

*edited*

This post was edited by Manouk at February 21, 2016 8:00 AM PST
    • 409 posts
    February 21, 2016 7:34 AM PST

On Topic:

Honestly?

- Match making of any kind... Raid, party, etc. It's a mmo killer for me..

- Also any kind of cheap instant-gratification features.

- Item levels and Item level requirements for dungeons or even level requirements for dungeons.. they have to stop. Purely because if you're a pretty good player it's kind of insulting (skill wise). I don't mind suggestion level ranges tho.. just not a brute force by the devs.. lemme me and the party make mistakes and judge for ourselves thanks... (I'm not a spoilt 12 year old with the patience/attention span of a hyperactive squirrel.)  ;)

- Self-centric only content with no thought towards real dynamic party strategys and gameplay. ie you just "group" for almost no reason and no real co-operation. It's just dumb and bad/lazy design.

This post was edited by Nimryl at February 21, 2016 7:55 AM PST
    • 30 posts
    February 21, 2016 10:12 AM PST

Some interesting points being brought up here. Here are some of my thoughts...

Weapon degradation: I could go either way on this one. If implemented it would be good for players who do blacksmithing, or other tradeskills and encourage player interaction. But if they do go with this, I think it should only be on common weapons and not rare, or epic items.

Or, if weapon degradation is definitely a ‘no’, maybe crafters could take a weapon and add some type of enhancement to it. Like they could take your sword and make it a little sharper or a little faster, so it does more damage. And maybe that enhancement would wear off over time and you would eventually need to find another blacksmith if you wanted to improve your weapon again.

Death Penalty: I definitely do not want an “easy” death penalty. Death is something that should be feared and avoided at all costs. Otherwise it just doesn’t feel like I’m doing anything that’s really dangerous. The only way you can really feel like you’re in danger is when the thought of death is looming in your mind as you're walking down that dark hallway, or being down in a dungeon staring at a door trying to decide if you want to open it or not. You know what’s going to happen if you die. You know you’re going to have to come back here again to get your body. Plus you are going to lose all the experience you’ve been working so hard for for the past several hours. Without some sort of serious death penalty, there is no longer any danger or fear, and that’s what makes games so much fun for so many people.

Now having said that, I would like to add that I think there should be a way to get your body back if you just cannot reach it. Sometimes you have things happen that are beyond your control. Sometimes your internet may go out, sometimes you may have an emergency come up and have to log out of the game right away, even if you are in the bottom of a dungeon, or in a raid zone. Or maybe you are in a raid group and it’s getting late and you are getting ready to leave soon cause you have work the next morning. But suddenly your group wipes, and now you have to keep staying online for even longer so you can get your body back.

When I log back into the game the next day, and I can’t find someone to help me recover my corpse, should I lose everything that I’ve worked so hard for all this time? The game should take people’s personal time into account, and allow people to leave when they have to leave.

Maybe I can get my body back by going to a temple and paying for a recovery, or maybe a necro player could summon my body to me. I know in EQ1 necros could summon, but I believe you had to be in the same zone as your corpse. Maybe they could make it to where necros could summon your corpse from anywhere. But there should be big penalties with this. Penalties so big that nobody would want to do it unless as a last resort. Maybe it has a huge experience loss, or maybe you will have a debuff that lowers all your stats to a point where you are practically useless in a group.

That way, if something happens beyond our control, we could still get our bodies back and not lose all our stuff.

Frequent expansions: The only other thing I wanted to add is I hope they don’t have frequent expansions like EQ1 did. Each expansion just added more and more zones, but the server populations were not really increasing much, so it just spread people out further and further so that it got to the point where it could be really hard to find groups because there wasn’t as many people in each zone anymore.

But mainly I hated the fact that they just let the old zones go and rarely, if ever, made any changes to them. I would like to see the Pantheon developers keep old zones in mind when they are developing expansions. Just some changes here and there over time to keep content fresh and make people want to keep playing in them.

• 383 posts
    February 21, 2016 2:31 PM PST

Here is my work in progress list.

- Quest Hubs
    - Instant Travel (Aside from player ports and even then only certain places)
    - Colored Item Names (that signifies quality)
    - Gear scores
    - Short Leashing of mobs
    - Item Durability (If players can't be involved in the fixing of those items)
    - Fast/easy leveling
    - Mounts
    - Invisible Walls that make the world un-explorable (If the side of a wall is too steep make it that way)
    - Invulnerable guards and npcs that can't be attacked
    - Auto Group Finders
    - Instanced Dungeons
    - Multi questing
    - Trival combat that allows easy boxing
    - A limit to how many crafting professions you can master
    - Twitch Combat (I would favor this over boxing lol)
    - Auction Houses
    - Levels of mobs displayed on their portrait (I want a con system)
    - Detailed world map or mini map
    - Small death penalties
    - Instant rezzes

This post was edited by Niien at February 21, 2016 2:34 PM PST
    • 1434 posts
    February 21, 2016 4:04 PM PST

geatz said:

Dullahan said:

geatz said:

Well I can't tell you why everyone else doesn't want to see it in game, but I can tell you why I don't.  There are two ways I've seen this implemented, one as a death penalty and one where weapons and armor degrade with use.  As a death penalty, it was just a money sink, it wasn't realistic and I often just found it annoying and occasionally caused me to have to leave a group to repair my gear.  When games implement it as worn over time, it was always scaled, where better gear would cost more.  What I end up doing, is if possible, I use no gear or crappy gear and basically my good gear sits in the bank, never to be used.  Also this money sink effects tanks more than anyone else as a wizard isn't getting hit or auto attacking much.  I believe Brad already said that there would be no item repair in game.

I agree its not a good death penalty. As for ways to apply it to casters, it could totally be based on just engaging in combat and attacking rather than only being hit.

As for it scaling up, it makes sense if properly balanced. When done right, it should seem relatively the same at high levels and low levels based on higher earning potentials. If you gain 10x the amount of money from mobs and mundane items, the repair bill should scale at the same rate.

Oh well, unless Brad simply meant it in a context of death penalties, there won't be a system like this. I personally think that decision is a missed opportunity at both a way to improve the economy and encourage more player interaction by way of weapon and armor repair.

How would gear repair increase player interaction?  If it's a money sink then an NPC would have to get the fee not a player.  Repaired gear usually comes in the form of an armorer or weaponsmith that repairs your gear for a fee or you buy an item that does it.  I'm not seeing any player interaction here.  Maybe I'm missing something, but if players were responsible for repairing your gear, I would probably be okay with that, but now it's not a money sink, now it's just going from one player to another and at that point I would argue why even do it.

If a player repairs your item, you would interact with said players. An npc could repair your gear for slightly more, but in a system where a player repairs the item for you, it should save some money. The items used to repair would become the money sink. Armor or weaponsmiths would then have to make enough money from repairing things to afford the cost of tools.

• 393 posts
    February 21, 2016 9:16 PM PST

Kromiv said:...snip...

But mainly I hated the fact that they just let the old zones go and rarely, if ever, made any changes to them. I would like to see the Pantheon developers keep old zones in mind when they are developing expansions. Just some changes here and there over time to keep content fresh and make people want to keep playing in them.

Good point. Always felt it was a poor use of space to continue creating outward and not reuse space that already existed. It's an odd situation really, sort of strange; there was a bustle in Qeynos at one time and then it was like the plague hit and it became post-apocalyptic Qeynos. Sort of like the shopping malls in post-apocalyptic movies where it's dead quiet but the maniquins still hang out.

• 383 posts
    February 21, 2016 9:32 PM PST

Dullahan said:

geatz said:

Dullahan said:

geatz said:

Well I can't tell you why everyone else doesn't want to see it in game, but I can tell you why I don't.  There are two ways I've seen this implemented, one as a death penalty and one where weapons and armor degrade with use.  As a death penalty, it was just a money sink, it wasn't realistic and I often just found it annoying and occasionally caused me to have to leave a group to repair my gear.  When games implement it as worn over time, it was always scaled, where better gear would cost more.  What I end up doing, is if possible, I use no gear or crappy gear and basically my good gear sits in the bank, never to be used.  Also this money sink effects tanks more than anyone else as a wizard isn't getting hit or auto attacking much.  I believe Brad already said that there would be no item repair in game.

I agree its not a good death penalty. As for ways to apply it to casters, it could totally be based on just engaging in combat and attacking rather than only being hit.

As for it scaling up, it makes sense if properly balanced. When done right, it should seem relatively the same at high levels and low levels based on higher earning potentials. If you gain 10x the amount of money from mobs and mundane items, the repair bill should scale at the same rate.

Oh well, unless Brad simply meant it in a context of death penalties, there won't be a system like this. I personally think that decision is a missed opportunity at both a way to improve the economy and encourage more player interaction by way of weapon and armor repair.

How would gear repair increase player interaction?  If it's a money sink then an NPC would have to get the fee not a player.  Repaired gear usually comes in the form of an armorer or weaponsmith that repairs your gear for a fee or you buy an item that does it.  I'm not seeing any player interaction here.  Maybe I'm missing something, but if players were responsible for repairing your gear, I would probably be okay with that, but now it's not a money sink, now it's just going from one player to another and at that point I would argue why even do it.

If a player repairs your item, you would interact with said players. An npc could repair your gear for slightly more, but in a system where a player repairs the item for you, it should save some money. The items used to repair would become the money sink. Armor or weaponsmiths would then have to make enough money from repairing things to afford the cost of tools.

It would also be kind of cool if they could be a temp enchant on the weapon from a player that is... maybe they could hone the blade based on their skill that would make it just slightly better for an hour or two. 

• 1434 posts
    February 22, 2016 1:53 AM PST

Niien said:

Dullahan said:

It would also be kind of cool if they could be a temp enchant on the weapon from a player that is... maybe they could hone the blade based on their skill that would make it just slightly better for an hour or two. 

For sure. I love those kinds of things. They provide just one more level of interdependence or way for players to interact and work together.

• 103 posts
    February 22, 2016 8:19 AM PST

Id be fine with an LFG tool, in fact I think these days its damn near required. Just not one that ports you in and out of the dungeon, exactly where you were. Sorry but "/LFG" spam doesnt really help much with socializing.

Player 1: "LF2M DungeonX Tank/Heal"

Player 1: "LF2M DungeonX Tank/Heal"

Player 1: "LF2M DungeonX Tank/Heal"

oXCouldStr1feXo: "Shut up @#&hole no one wants to play with you now, its 3AM"

Player 1: "Bite me... LF2M DungeonX Tank/Heal"

Player 1: " LF2M DungeonX Tank/Heal"

Player 2: "Ill go... Ylvl Cleric"

Player 1 : /invite Player 2

Player 1: " LF1M DungeonX need Tank"

You get the idea... its not really that social, and its definitely not fun IMO. That and unless you want a serverwide LFG (which really becomes an LFG/Trade/Goldspam/racist/homophobic/OOC Chat channel) youll be stuck in a main city, twiddling your thumbs inbetween chat. I think an LFG tool that simply and only groups everyone together should work out fine. You queue up, go do something else while you wait... once it pops all you get is a filled team ready for "Dungeon X" ... thats it. From there its a much higher chance to get people coordinating, summoning, chatting, etc. I think thats one of the reasons group play has become the silent spam-fest it is today. That is, aside from the fact its all become just an instant gratification, walk in the park. At the end of it all (which hopefully took a good 30-45 minutes minimum, you have a choice, try for another dungeon with your group, or port back home and walk your happy ass back to what you were doing before... incentive! ;)

On that note, I DONT want to see these "instant gratification, walk in the park" dungeons either. The other reason (IMO) why dungeons have become so dull is because they have been streamlined by developers. You queue, you port in, tank literally picks up entire rooms at a time, kill boss, everyone gets their participation trophy and ports out. All within 5-10 minutes. Thats BORING! Tanks should not be able to take a beating from 3+ mobs for long, CC should be necessary, DPS should need to actively control their aggro as should healers watch the overhealing, conserve mana, adds should be a problem, etc. Pretty sure thats already the plan with Pantheon though so its both what I mostly DONT want to see and what im most looking forward to.

This post was edited by Kayo at February 22, 2016 8:21 AM PST
    • 671 posts
    February 22, 2016 8:55 AM PST

Rhelic said:

The main thing i do not wish to see in pantheon would be severe class limitations.  going from eq1 to eq2 was terrible for me. for example some of my greatest memories were fear kiting in PoD, or duo'ing with a druid in PoF.  having a croud gather to watch some bard attempt to kite a raid dragon, or as simple as getting levitate and taking screenshots on some place that you were never really meant to be.  these things though small and generally boreing and fruitless are what makes the game unique and give a unique experience, when i went to eq2 i got the feel that all classes were basically the same, yes you can still root and fear and mez and snare/kite however anytime you hit the mob it broke and you were forced to fight face to face. i also remember "splitting" via monk mainly or SK if no monks. it took allot of practice, patience, teamwork and knowledge these are all things lost to all modern MMO's and instead were replaced by copy and paste mobs/abilities that take away from what a character is.  there is generally no imagination to characters anymore,  there's only 1 or 2 ways to do an encounter, or gain exp, if you do not have that ability you do not progress, raiding in eq1 for example, yes there may have been a prefered method but if you asked every guild how they killed said encounter you would have 100's of variations, latelely you may have 5, if your lucky. so as earlier stated i would NOT like to see cookie cutter classes, i want abilities to matter and let our imagination determine whats possible.

EverQuest 2 was a joke.. 

Don't base anything you know about MMORPG, or Pantheon... based on EQ2. It was a backwards thinking game when it was released and still is.

• 2130 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:01 AM PST

@Kayo

I agree that an LFG tool would be a good idea. Spamming channels with LFG messages is kind of archaic and annoying. A nicely designed UI piece for forming groups would be pretty awesome, and wouldn't have to have much functionality honestly. I just want it to display players who are LFG, their level, their class, and have a button to send them a tell and/or invite them to group.

Hieromonk said:

EverQuest 2 was a joke.. 

Don't base anything you know about MMORPG, or Pantheon... based on EQ2. It was a backwards thinking game when it was released and still is.

EQ2 was a great game, at one time. While I agree that it was flawed, writing it off completely is kind of naive. While it didn't have a massive pool of players, it was still considered a great game among those who played it, myself included.

Things EQ2 did well:

1. Ratongas are the best race in any video game ever.
    2. Being able to betray to switch your subclass within your class was a neat feature. (Bard class, can switch between Troubador and Dirge subclasses, for instance)
    3. While having far too many buttons to press later on, the combat system imo was pretty amazing. It really rewarded players who put effort into playing their class. You could always tell who was good and who wasn't very easily just by seeing how they play.
    4. Myself and a couple thousand others at least regard EQ2's PvP to be among some of the best PvP we have ever played in an MMO.

This post was edited by Liav at February 22, 2016 9:04 AM PST
    • 109 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:02 AM PST

Italics everywhere

• 428 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:05 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

Rhelic said:

EverQuest 2 was a joke.. 

Kind of like 95 percent of your posts are a complete joke I suppose.

• 428 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:08 AM PST

Liav said:

@Kayo

I agree that an LFG tool would be a good idea. Spamming channels with LFG messages is kind of archaic and annoying. A nicely designed UI piece for forming groups would be pretty awesome, and wouldn't have to have much functionality honestly. I just want it to display players who are LFG, their level, their class, and have a button to send them a tell and/or invite them to group.

Hieromonk said:

EverQuest 2 was a joke.. 

EQ2 was a great game, at one time. While I agree that it was flawed, writing it off completely is kind of naive. While it didn't have a massive pool of players, it was still considered a great game among those who played it, myself included.

Things EQ2 did well:

2. Being able to betray to switch your subclass within your class was a neat feature. (Bard class, can switch between Troubador and Dirge subclasses, for instance)
    3. While having far too many buttons to press later on, the combat system imo was pretty amazing. It really rewarded players who put effort into playing their class. You could always tell who was good and who wasn't very easily just by seeing how they play.
    4. Myself and a couple thousand others at least regard EQ2's PvP to be among some of the best PvP we have ever played in an MMO.

I agree EQ2 PVP did amazing at not messing around with PVE for the sake of PVP and they managed to make PVP great.  

The combat system while having a lot of buttons rewarded people that didnt just smash buttons.  Timing and the right rotation was rewarded with huge increases in DPS HPS etc. 

The betray system was neat I agree.  EQ2 like EQ1 had great raiding content as well and very good stories if you read through the quests you did.

• 671 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:24 AM PST

Liav said:

@Kayo

Hieromonk said:

EverQuest 2 was a joke.. 

Things EQ2 did well:

In Pantheon, a LFG tool would be best, if it served a dual purpose, such as not only LFG, but only able to do so while in a tavern. Along with all the others in that area, who are also looking for a group. It is where most would find adventures and tell stories. A social gathering hub for adventures...  sounds about right for a pub and tavern?

EverQuest 2 has very remedial in-game mechanics and was superficial about most of it. The Warlock was nothing other than a re-skinned Wizard, etc. The Game's premis was all about making a MMORPG easier to play... not more challenging and difficult content to solve.

We raided 3~5 main mobs every night in EQ2...  so dumb. Because our guild and every other guild was doing the same. A Lock out timer was abused.. and raiding in EQ2 became trivial... and on rails. EQ2, like EQ has turned carebear. There was no Class distinction, just class equalization as another class would come up screaming if lopsided. The game at it core just doesn't work, because the mechanics are so remedial & predictable. EQ2 is a role playing game on rails. (Attention, follow the carrots SOE/DB dangles in front of you please.)

EQ2 & WoW are essentially the same game...   different lore.

• 2130 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:54 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

EverQuest 2 has very remedial in-game mechanics and was superficial about most of it. The Warlock was nothing other than a re-skinned Wizard, etc. The Game's premis was all about making a MMORPG easier to play... not more challenging and difficult content to solve.

We raided 3~5 main mobs every night in EQ2...  so dumb. Because our guild and every other guild was doing the same. A Lock out timer was abused.. and raiding in EQ2 became trivial... and on rails. EQ2, like EQ has turned carebear. There was no Class distinction, just class equalization as another class would come up screaming if lopsided. The game at it core just doesn't work, because the mechanics are so remedial & predictable. EQ2 is a role playing game on rails. (Attention, follow the carrots SOE/DB dangles in front of you please.)

I disagree but I'm sure you don't care.

Warlock as a lot more AOE centric than Wizard when the class first came out. Similarly, Troubs buffed casters and Dirges buffed melee. People say that EQ2 was an easy game but some of the hardest content in the game still took months for guilds to clear.

While I also dislike the instanced raiding aspect of EQ2, that is only one aspect of EQ2.

Assassin and Ranger were both subclass of the Predator class, and the classes played completely differently. They weren't as similar as you're trying to say they are.

• 428 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:59 AM PST

Liav said:

Hieromonk said:

I disagree but I'm sure you don't care.

Warlock as a lot more AOE centric than Wizard when the class first came out. Similarly, Troubs buffed casters and Dirges buffed melee. People say that EQ2 was an easy game but some of the hardest content in the game still took months for guilds to clear.

While I also dislike the instanced raiding aspect of EQ2, that is only one aspect of EQ2.

Assassin and Ranger were both subclass of the Predator class, and the classes played completely differently. They weren't as similar as you're trying to say they are.

Liav,  Why bother even addressing his posts.  90 percent of them are pure garbage.  While almost everyone on the forums are great to talk with about different things, Hieromonk spouts off useless dribble that either A isnt true at all or some troll comment.  He is one person this Forum would be far better off without his input

• 2130 posts
    February 22, 2016 10:00 AM PST

Kalgore said:

Liav,  Why bother even addressing his posts.  90 percent of them are pure garbage.  While almost everyone on the forums are great to talk with about different things, Hieromonk spouts off useless dribble that either A isnt true at all or some troll comment.  He is one person this Forum would be far better off without his input

Habit, I guess. :<

• 103 posts
    February 22, 2016 12:12 PM PST

Liav said:

@Kayo

The problem with a system like that is people dont use it. Its just not enough nor has it been recieved well by the players in the past. I think WoW had it at first. I dont remember much backlash but it was a new thing then... still, it wasnt used as often so they moved to the current one soon after. Same with SWTOR, they didnt have a queue at release, all they had was like an LFG search feature but again, hardly used, and this one I remember players hating on it. Thing is, hardly any one wants to be the socialite (myself included) asking around for help and sending out invites.

Maybe itll work for Pantheon given its target audience but I think thats a long shot...

• 2130 posts
    February 22, 2016 12:19 PM PST

Kayo said:

The problem with a system like that is people dont use it. Its just not enough nor has it been recieved well by the players in the past. I think WoW had it at first. I dont remember much backlash but it was a new thing then... still, it wasnt used as often so they moved to the current one soon after. Same with SWTOR, they didnt have a queue at release, all they had was like an LFG search feature but again, hardly used, and this one I remember players hating on it. Thing is, hardly any one wants to be the socialite (myself included) asking around for help and sending out invites.

Maybe itll work for Pantheon given its target audience but I think thats a long shot...

Don't care either way, really. I've been spamming in channels since I was 8 years old and it works for me.

Inb4 someone says "oh, so you've only been spamming in channels for 4 years"? Yeah, yeah.

• 610 posts
    February 22, 2016 1:54 PM PST

Kayo said:

Liav said:

@Kayo

I think it will work fine, IF there are not world wide chat channels for people to spam in...if the LFG tool is really the only way to announce server wide that you are LFG then I think it will be used.

• 383 posts
    February 22, 2016 6:53 PM PST

Liav said:

@Kayo

Hieromonk said:

In Pantheon, a LFG tool would be best, if it served a dual purpose, such as not only LFG, but only able to do so while in a tavern. Along with all the others in that area, who are also looking for a group. It is where most would find adventures and tell stories. A social gathering hub for adventures...  sounds about right for a pub and tavern?

I like the idea that a LFG UI tool could be implemented and I further like the idea that it could be used in pubs/taverns. This would hopefully create a gathering place for people to find groups and head out together. However a lot of the time that we needed a replacement in our group we would be doing who all and sending tells. Most of the time the people weren't /lfg. So I think only being used in pubs and taverns might be too limited honestly. I'm still okay with who all commands personally lol. Like who all lfg :)  

This post was edited by Niien at February 22, 2016 6:54 PM PST
    • 13 posts
    February 28, 2016 5:37 PM PST

Hi,

Heres my 2 cents worth, in no particular order.

- Instanced dungeons

- Flying Mounts of any type, as this would allow players to skip content.

- Any type of machanical mounts. EQ1 had the clockwork creatures which was ok. Probably wont happen since the game is set in a high fantasy world but I wouldnt like to see motorcycles similar to those found in WOW or anything of that nature in the game.

- Automatic Group Finder.

- Auctions Houses

- Fast travel

• 163 posts
    February 28, 2016 6:29 PM PST

I would really be appreciative if combat and skills were not complicated and overabundant for all classes.

I always chose to play Mage or Rogue (instead of bard, cleric or enchanted) in EverQuest because they required the least amount of attention span and button pushing to play. With a limited amount of hotkeys to press, the class could be played rather effectively. My focus can be on enjoying the elements of the environment rather than using my brain to do combos, watch for counter attacks or other annoying things like that. Keep in mind some of us are not crazy good video game players and enjoy these types of games for the R&R.