Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Dungeon finders, player spam in chat..

• 9115 posts
    May 27, 2019 3:57 AM PDT

Community Debate - Dungeon finders, player spam in chat, dedicated group/raid forums or something else entirely, how do you prefer to form or join groups in-game? #MMORPG #communitymatters

• 1584 posts
    May 27, 2019 4:22 AM PDT

A gathering hub like a tavern in outpost or cities an such within respectable distance from dungeons for easy travel, with name and level, this would also make the world feel very healthy as people will always be here and can also become trading hubs to sell there wares as they know people will be looking at chat to see whats up while waiting, and any other activity that could be waiting for us in pantheon, I believe this would be very good for the community to see as it will always bring us together 

You would put the information on a board or something og the sort, (I'm sure you can think of something better :)) and people trying to fill in the slots can go to these places and fill in their ranks and head out, or wait their themselves and see what for trade themselves.

This post was edited by Cealtric at May 27, 2019 4:27 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    May 27, 2019 5:44 AM PDT

I prefer to have a group of regulars (guild or friends) I can group with, so I can avoid other means of starting/joining a group.

That said, I am fine with a simple LFG mechanism that allows me to set LFG on/off for myself, and find others via /who LFG .

It can be rather tedious to repeatedly type this however (if few people are online for example). A UI mechanism to "auto repeat" my last /who search every x minutes*, and inform me via popup when a matching player comes online, would be a welcome addition.

I do not like to leave the game to check external forums etc., since this always breaks immersion. That's also why I dislike looking for quest info or something like that online - I prefer the game to offer enough clues to solve such puzzles ingame! So, I won't look for players on external forums, except for very specific events which can only be coordinated that way.

Dungeon finders are not bad per se IMO, if the player has to walk to the dungeon first (instead of just sitting in the town and being magically teleported). However, I don't think they fit in the context of Pantheon.

* If part of the UI, this could of course be easily extended to track for several classes at the same time!

This post was edited by Sarim at May 27, 2019 5:45 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    May 27, 2019 5:59 AM PDT

Mostly I group with guildmates - PUGs can be awful especially in games with free-to-play where you never know what you will run into.

In Pantheon I hope there will be a good groupfinder - if there is I will use it. 

Ideally it will let me filter by level, by zone or both - maybe even by quest. So I won't see everyone in the game at all levels who is looking to group unless I want to see them all.

Ideally if it shows groups looking for members not just individual characters looking for groups it will let the group leader show the role(s) that are wanted.

Ideally it will help put us in touch with eachother but will not form groups for us and will not teleport us to the dungeon or other intended grouping locale.

• 483 posts
    May 27, 2019 6:03 AM PDT

A robust /who system or a UI window, where you can list your group/yourself and find players/groups to do dungeons and other activities. If you want to get imersive, then make the UI window only acessible inside the towns when the players click on postboard, or at the entrance of a dungeon by interacting with a magical stone or something of the sort.

• 2756 posts
    May 27, 2019 6:53 AM PDT

I would like to see a tidy Group Management System.

The GMS would enable players looking for groups and groups looking for players to enter their details (level ranges, zones desired, loot rules, etc) and some free text (specific aims/items/whatever) and then would give search/filter matches on suitable players/groups and you could then click to send tells or to invite, etc.  No automatic teleporting to each other.  No spoilers by listing all the dungeons in the realm or whatever.

The GMS would also be used to roll/vote/whatever on loot, maintain a looting history, waiting lists of players that want to join and those other group management tasks we might ordinarily do on scraps of paper or argue over or are otherwise not 'the fun bit'.

When a group leader leaves, leadership and control of the GMS is handed over, so waiting lists and loot rules/history, etc aren't lost.

Done right, it just avoids the tedious or contentious bits and doesn't replace the interactions and the social fun.

I'm not a fan of any kind of shorthand spam in text chat.  The only reason LFG tools weren't used much back in the day is they weren't any good.

• 1785 posts
    May 27, 2019 7:39 AM PDT

I find that I rather agree with disposalist here.

• 372 posts
    May 27, 2019 8:32 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Dungeon finders, player spam in chat, dedicated group/raid forums or something else entirely, how do you prefer to form or join groups in-game? #MMORPG #communitymatters

-

No dungeon finders

No in-game techy 'build-a-group' features

No social 'do-it-for-me' features

Player spam in chat is fine with me

I'll edit this to add that I am not debating that what I like is the best; it is just what I like to see. I love a busy chat. :)

This post was edited by Tigersin at May 27, 2019 8:59 AM PDT
    • 116 posts
    May 27, 2019 8:46 AM PDT

Anything but chat spam. Some old skool things were cool, that isn’t one of them IMHO. 

Something like the PoK note boards in the tavern of each major city would be nice. 

They would cover the areas in their region, making travel to major cities relevant. 

Additionally, this creates the social gathering environment that fosters connection. 

A place to show off, find groups, buy, sell, trade and maybe even play a cool mini-game!

This post was edited by Grayel at May 27, 2019 8:57 AM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    May 27, 2019 9:06 AM PDT

Tigersin said:

Kilsin said:

-

No dungeon finders

No in-game techy 'build-a-group' features

No social 'do-it-for-me' features

Player spam in chat is fine with me

the pros of not having dungeon finder is forming more meaningful companionship.  the cons is it takes time. from a dev point of view, this usually creates a steady player base at the cost volume because players that don't have time or aren't good at socializing can't get a group.  vice versa if you had a group finder.

keep it stupid simple.  i'm a simple man and when i start seeing all kinds of bells and whistles i get turned off.

• 627 posts
    May 27, 2019 10:08 AM PDT
    A looking for group system for QoL resons, is a must for me.

I do like the idea with tavans or bars where players can enter and here the billboard can acces the grp system, i do not like player to hit a key, anyplace in the world and then browse New grp mwmbers with ease.

Here id rather have All chat option.

To join and form a grp /invite 'player name' is plenty for me

• 11 posts
    May 27, 2019 10:17 AM PDT

disposalist said:

The GMS would enable players looking for groups and groups looking for players to enter their details (level ranges, zones desired, loot rules, etc) and some free text (specific aims/items/whatever) and then would give search/filter matches on suitable players/groups and you could then click to send tells or to invite, etc.  No automatic teleporting to each other.  No spoilers by listing all the dungeons in the realm or whatever.

The GMS would also be used to roll/vote/whatever on loot, maintain a looting history, waiting lists of players that want to join and those other group management tasks we might ordinarily do on scraps of paper or argue over or are otherwise not 'the fun bit'.

When a group leader leaves, leadership and control of the GMS is handed over, so waiting lists and loot rules/history, etc aren't lost.

Done right, it just avoids the tedious or contentious bits and doesn't replace the interactions and the social fun.

I'm not a fan of any kind of shorthand spam in text chat.  The only reason LFG tools weren't used much back in the day is they weren't any good.

Mostly agree with Disposalist here although I hear my old school brethren loud and clear.

I think a simple group finding tool could replace the /who all LFG command. LFG wasn't fun to type over and over, especially by zone. It's kind of charming when I look back on it but it really wasn't functional or immersive. I don't like the idea of having to travel to a tavern or something to look at a bulletin board. I also don't think anyone will do that.

Walking all the way to Sol B from LG because I couldn't find a group only to get there and wait for a group in Sol B for an hour and a half with no avail was pretty depressing. It didn't happen every day, but when it did it sucked. I think we should just make the jump and make it as easy as possible to get right into a group without breaking immersion too much. To me that means no auto group maker, just an in-game group finding app to hook players up kind of the way Disposalist described. I don't think we'll be sending any fewer /tells to each other this way, just a lot less "hey, can you ask in zone if anyone 40-45 is LFG?" or typing commands into chat all night long.

This post was edited by Vira at May 27, 2019 10:19 AM PDT
    • 116 posts
    May 27, 2019 10:33 AM PDT

The idea of the tavern is more of a place to centrally ‘que up’ for dungeons. 

While waiting you could craft in town oe whatever, this beats running somewhere, getting on a list someone is keeping in RL and hoping they don’t pick a buddy over you. 

Admittedly, the physical location of doing it in a tavern is unnecessary. 

• 411 posts
    May 27, 2019 11:05 AM PDT

Something more automated than /who commands. Something less automated than automatic invites to members who fit the listed criterea.

I think what's actually more important than the details of how groups are formed is what groups can be formed. Balancing to allow non-traditional group makeups so they function at reasonable efficiency is highly valuable if it's possible to do. Also, having enough enemy population density at a dungeon allows many players to gather there. The more people you have gathered at one spot, the more likely it will be that you can find a group quickly. It's a numbers game.

• 1428 posts
    May 27, 2019 11:49 AM PDT

BamBam said: A looking for group system for QoL resons, is a must for me. I do like the idea with tavans or bars where players can enter and here the billboard can acces the grp system, i do not like player to hit a key, anyplace in the world and then browse New grp mwmbers with ease. Here id rather have All chat option. To join and form a grp /invite 'player name' is plenty for me

as long as the group finder is stupid simple.  i agree with not being able to access the menu anywhere.  having a group finder accessible at a tavern it is a good compromise between immersion and qol.

• 416 posts
    May 27, 2019 1:28 PM PDT

disposalist said:

I like the looks of this proposal. I would also like to see an offline version that would help like minded players find each other before they even get into the game. Just some things you could input:

1. Time zone and general play time availability

2. Style of play- PVP, PVE, RP

3. Do you like to explore? Find a good camp and stay put?

4. Do you want to level as quicky as possible or spend more time on the journey?

5. Do you prefer VC or TC?

6. What races/classes/levels you currently have? What races/classes you would be interested in playing?

7. Do you prefer adventuring, crafting, a mix of both?

For those that want to you could even input what type of music you like, favorite authors, anything you feel is important.

• 73 posts
    May 27, 2019 3:03 PM PDT
    In all the different games I’ve played I don’t remember using and LFG tool unless I was forced to by game to enter a dungeon to do content with non-chatting speed running random players doing dailies, which usually was the nail in the coffin to a crappy game I played. No LFG tool needed for Pantheon except for dedicated LFG chat channel that I can decide to join or not...let the players figure it out from there.
    • 560 posts
    May 27, 2019 3:14 PM PDT

I prefer making my groups in person or on a guild chat. But if I need to fill a slot or two I like to use a LFG tool similar to what EQ had when the level cap was still 65. Others have described similar tools above. It was a simple system that worked without getting into the way of making friends. I would hope pantheon would find some areas for improvement. It is important that at no time the tool teleports you to a group or another sever. I really dislike using chat for LFG or LFM.

@Thorndeep The offline tool sounds cool. I would use something like this if it could help me form a long-term group that played on a schedule.

I think it is important to note that even with the LFG tool in EQ I still took the time to chat before inviting. There is no reason a LFG tool can't also be social.

This post was edited by Susurrus at May 27, 2019 3:21 PM PDT
    • 416 posts
    May 27, 2019 3:41 PM PDT

@Starblight Helping people find long-term group mates that play on a similar schedule is exactly what I see the offline tool for.

• 372 posts
    May 27, 2019 3:49 PM PDT

Vira said:

I think a simple group finding tool could replace the /who all LFG command. LFG wasn't fun to type over and over, especially by zone. It's kind of charming when I look back on it but it really wasn't functional or immersive. I don't like the idea of having to travel to a tavern or something to look at a bulletin board. I also don't think anyone will do that.

OK.  I can get with that. I'm changing my vote to this.  :)

• 388 posts
    May 27, 2019 4:15 PM PDT

Do it like EQ. basic /lfg on and off and LFG box where you can do a simple one line text like No Lower Guk etc. 

I do NOT want any "gathering hub" or tavern that I have to stand around in while I wait my turn to get picked. 

I do NOT want any QOL dungeon finder like WoW. 

No billboard sign up sheet that I have to go find and stand near until I get a group. 

no insta group. no insta teleport to group. 

Also remember PVP AND RP will NOT be mixed into PVE servers. and will have their own servers, although anyone can RP, but it seems really dumb on a non RP server to do so .... it's cute for about 5 min and then it's just annoying as hell telling the naked ogre to put his armor back on. 

PVP will not even be a thing at launch. PVP servers will come a good while after launch. 

and who typed /LFG over and over. I mean really is typing 4 characters that hard? if it is, make a hot button that could be clicked.... 

k.i.s.s.

This post was edited by Flapp at May 27, 2019 4:16 PM PDT
    • 8 posts
    May 27, 2019 6:38 PM PDT

Id say keep it simple. Make a LFG menu that allows you to customize a message, when you toggle LFG your name pops up on the list of players with your preset message. Also allow groups to post to the system with a LFM tag and message specifying what theyre looking for. Give it basic sorting functions for class, level, location etc. When you click on a player or group you dont get an auto invite, instead it opens your chat up with the appropriate character name filled in and you type out a message. That keeps the system social while also organizing it for ease of use.

• 112 posts
    May 27, 2019 7:58 PM PDT

Vira said:

disposalist said:

Mostly agree with Disposalist here although I hear my old school brethren loud and clear.

Walking all the way to Sol B from LG because I couldn't find a group only to get there and wait for a group in Sol B for an hour and a half with no avail was pretty depressing. It didn't happen every day, but when it did it sucked. I think we should just make the jump and make it as easy as possible to get right into a group without breaking immersion too much. To me that means no auto group maker, just an in-game group finding app to hook players up kind of the way Disposalist described. I don't think we'll be sending any fewer /tells to each other this way, just a lot less "hey, can you ask in zone if anyone 40-45 is LFG?" or typing commands into chat all night long.

I agree

• 1404 posts
    May 27, 2019 9:57 PM PDT

/LFG in chat is not enough.

Porting to group is way to much.

Running to town to a billboard, just no!

Offline, let somebody else write it, I want nothing to do with offline. My game time is not my offline time.

I'm in favor of a tool similar to what has been laid out in previous post. With two things to add. 

1) The tool should help, LFM just as much as LFG. And in such should have a distance filter/sort. If you're in a dungeon and someone is an hour away they may not be the best choice compared to the similar player waiting or approaching just outside the dungon.

2) it should facilitate contacting the person with a "chat" button, that would open a chat window (possibly even a temp. Group chat window if they wanted to get fancy) as opposed to having to go out and "send a tell" that the person may or may not see through rapid scrolling battle spam if they happen to be in a fight at the time. (How many of us have never missed a,/tell through all that?)

And lastly, nothing should be added that would compromise the game for the sake of "QOL"

• 22 posts
    May 28, 2019 12:26 AM PDT

darksaber8570 said:

Vira said:

disposalist said:

I Agree with this.