Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Dungeon finders, player spam in chat..

• 390 posts
    May 29, 2019 12:18 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

Tigersin said:

stellarmind said:

where is overseer kilsin?  this is a clear violation of general rule 6.  thanos snap make it happen!

HE IS BUT     ONE MAN     IN A FAR AWAY LAND...  

what if overseer kilsin scanned his brain, created an ai that acts in his stead and carries on his will in the digital space?  oh boy we breaking general rule 6 man.  he comes the thanos snap.

most of his time is spent deleting off topic posts like this. just sayin...

This post was edited by Flapp at May 29, 2019 12:19 PM PDT
    • 1430 posts
    May 29, 2019 12:19 PM PDT

Chanus said:

It has never been the case that LFG tools took away chat spam LFG. Both are still used at the same time. 

yes both are still used (i'm fine with how it is)

but the strange quirky advertisements have significantly reduced in volume since the introduction of lfg tools.  it just shows a type of creativity and thinking i like to have in my groups.

• 1430 posts
    May 29, 2019 12:23 PM PDT

Flapp said:

stellarmind said:

Tigersin said:

stellarmind said:

where is overseer kilsin?  this is a clear violation of general rule 6.  thanos snap make it happen!

HE IS BUT     ONE MAN     IN A FAR AWAY LAND...  

what if overseer kilsin scanned his brain, created an ai that acts in his stead and carries on his will in the digital space?  oh boy we breaking general rule 6 man.  he comes the thanos snap.

most of his time is spent deleting off topic posts like this. just sayin...

and you are guilty of contributing just like we are since you have chosen to associate yourself with a response.  i'm sorry don't report me i already have enough strikes =(

• 560 posts
    May 29, 2019 1:41 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

Chanus said:

It has never been the case that LFG tools took away chat spam LFG. Both are still used at the same time. 

but the strange quirky advertisements have significantly reduced in volume since the introduction of lfg tools.  it just shows a type of creativity and thinking i like to have in my groups.

I keep seeing people suggesting the LFG tools are somewhat new. I do not mean to pick on you as many have hinted at this idea. But I am curious when do you feel the LFG tool was first used? I know I was using it before 2003 in EQ and of the many MMO'S I have played since I am hard pressed to come up with one that did not have a LFG tool of some sort.

• 106 posts
    May 29, 2019 6:32 PM PDT

I'll take something similar to what DDO has.  It allows you to see groups looking for more and where they are adventuring.  You can also set up your own group for others to see and join.  Don't believe it does any teleporting, but there is a join command which puts you in the group.  I believe it has enough of a QoL benefit without the mindless droning of standard instant group teleporting mechanisms.

• 1584 posts
    May 29, 2019 6:48 PM PDT

Flapp said:

Do it like EQ. basic /lfg on and off and LFG box where you can do a simple one line text like No Lower Guk etc. 

I do NOT want any "gathering hub" or tavern that I have to stand around in while I wait my turn to get picked. 

I do NOT want any QOL dungeon finder like WoW. 

No billboard sign up sheet that I have to go find and stand near until I get a group. 

no insta group. no insta teleport to group. 

Also remember PVP AND RP will NOT be mixed into PVE servers. and will have their own servers, although anyone can RP, but it seems really dumb on a non RP server to do so .... it's cute for about 5 min and then it's just annoying as hell telling the naked ogre to put his armor back on. 

PVP will not even be a thing at launch. PVP servers will come a good while after launch. 

and who typed /LFG over and over. I mean really is typing 4 characters that hard? if it is, make a hot button that could be clicked.... 

k.i.s.s.

No where in my post did I say you had to stay there and wait in line to get picked, the whole purpose would to sign up, and do what you want til you get a message and/or invite, if you had to stay near the gathering hub that would ruin the whole point of the entire function of what it would try to fix.  You could literally go and farm mats, solo mobs, increase teadeskills, selling your goods what you do after signing up is completely up to you, which is why I thought it was a good idea.

The only people who would be staying there are the sellers/buyers and it's a prefect location for them because they know people will be traveling through there for multiple reasons, like for instance I'd they were in good locations, on eq like feeroot, where you can sign up for Guk, HGH, and one in karanas, for Splitpaw, HPH, and one in toxx forest for the hole, than you can easily have 3 different gathering hubs with multiple trading locations unlike eq is on p99 where you basically only have EC tunnel.  

This post was edited by Cealtric at May 29, 2019 6:58 PM PDT
    • 390 posts
    May 29, 2019 11:43 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

No where in my post did I say you had to stay there and wait in line to get picked, the whole purpose would to sign up, and do what you want til you get a message and/or invite, if you had to stay near the gathering hub that would ruin the whole point of the entire function of what it would try to fix.  You could literally go and farm mats, solo mobs, increase teadeskills, selling your goods what you do after signing up is completely up to you, which is why I thought it was a good idea.

The only people who would be staying there are the sellers/buyers and it's a prefect location for them because they know people will be traveling through there for multiple reasons, like for instance I'd they were in good locations, on eq like feeroot, where you can sign up for Guk, HGH, and one in karanas, for Splitpaw, HPH, and one in toxx forest for the hole, than you can easily have 3 different gathering hubs with multiple trading locations unlike eq is on p99 where you basically only have EC tunnel.  

i follow ya. i just don't see the need to go somewhere specific to turn on LFG. why can't i just turn on lfg and buff noobs at bridge to thronefast?

it's all good. we all can like and dislike stuff at the same time. it's ok. i'm not mad.

the good news is: brad has a great game going and i'll embrace whatever he gives us :)  

• 1714 posts
    May 30, 2019 2:56 AM PDT

Instead of asking these inane clickbait questions to the community, why don't we get actual answers from VR? 

• 1584 posts
    May 30, 2019 5:11 AM PDT

Flapp said:

Riahuf22 said:

i follow ya. i just don't see the need to go somewhere specific to turn on LFG. why can't i just turn on lfg and buff noobs at bridge to thronefast?

it's all good. we all can like and dislike stuff at the same time. it's ok. i'm not mad.

the good news is: brad has a great game going and i'll embrace whatever he gives us :)  

Yeah I see your point, I mean technically even if there is a function doesn't mean you can't do it the old fashion way and go to the zone and shout  lfg.  The main purpose of my suggestion was that a lot of players wanted something like EC tunnel again and this would be a great way to get that again, because of obvious reasons, I mean even in EQ people went there just to LFG was my idea is basically the same except you don't have to fight the chat box with everyone else selling/buying/lfg as well.  But I do understand your position, I just feel some of the old players of eq would like my idea just cause it literally knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone.

This post was edited by Cealtric at May 30, 2019 5:39 AM PDT
    • 297 posts
    May 30, 2019 6:20 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:Yeah I see your point, I mean technically even if there is a function doesn't mean you can't do it the old fashion way and go to the zone and shout  lfg.  The main purpose of my suggestion was that a lot of players wanted something like EC tunnel again and this would be a great way to get that again, because of obvious reasons, I mean even in EQ people went there just to LFG was my idea is basically the same except you don't have to fight the chat box with everyone else selling/buying/lfg as well.  But I do understand your position, I just feel some of the old players of eq would like my idea just cause it literally knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone.

The thing about EC Tunnel is it was developed by the players and not a designated zone annointed from on high. A comparison for a meeting hub would be the Bazaar or Plane of Knowledge rather than EC Tunnel (on Innoruuk we also had Greater Faydark as a trading hub). I like the convenience of a Bazaar/Auction House type zone but there is something to be said for the community itself just sort of gravitating toward a central location and you know that's where to go to find people and trade items. It has a lot more of the Old Market District kind of feel to it than a zone where you just go in and search a menu for what you want.

I think this sort of thing will just naturally happen and doesn't necessarily need to be designated or developed as part of the game. The only real benefits to a Bazaar-type zone in my opinion is the ability to set up a trader and not have to actually man it the entire time, and an easier way to find what you need once the game has been in development for quite some time and there are literally thousands of items to sort through.

Kind of going off topic, but my point is that I don't think a specific zone needs to be designated the "meet-up" zone. I think it will happen naturally. I do think we need little more than an LFG-style window/flag like Everquest has and a way to communicate looking for groups or players to a chat channel to accomplish the task of finding groups.

• 441 posts
    May 30, 2019 6:46 AM PDT

One thing that made EQ1 great, was your name meant something. Cross server dungeon finders, as much as it makes finding a team quick, people dont care about thier actions because you may never see them again. So Cross server LFG Dungeon finder no thanks. I would love a dungeon finder for the server you are playing on. 

• 297 posts
    May 30, 2019 7:10 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

One thing that made EQ1 great, was your name meant something. Cross server dungeon finders, as much as it makes finding a team quick, people dont care about thier actions because you may never see them again. So Cross server LFG Dungeon finder no thanks. I would love a dungeon finder for the server you are playing on. 

I think this isn't as true as people like to believe.

Or, rather, it doesn't necessarily guarantee good faith actors. There are plenty of people who relish being the bad guy/troll and the notoriety that comes from being known for being a troll. They have existed as far back as I can remember and there were definitely people who seemed to do just fine despite they fact everyone was aware they were a terrible person. Presumably because these people garner enough notoriety they attract hangers-on whom they can use to achieve enough success that their bad name doesn't prevent them from playing the game.

As well there isn't anything intrinsic to cross-server grouping that prevents someone's name from becoming known for good or ill reasons. There's nothing functionally different in that sense from someone being on a different server from you as opposed to simply being in a different zone on your server. The world isn't as local as it was in 1999 because those localizations in 1999 were merely technical limitations. You didn't know people from other servers then simply because you had no way to interact with them at the time.

• 1584 posts
    May 30, 2019 8:21 AM PDT

Chanus said:

Riahuf22 said:Yeah I see your point, I mean technically even if there is a function doesn't mean you can't do it the old fashion way and go to the zone and shout  lfg.  The main purpose of my suggestion was that a lot of players wanted something like EC tunnel again and this would be a great way to get that again, because of obvious reasons, I mean even in EQ people went there just to LFG was my idea is basically the same except you don't have to fight the chat box with everyone else selling/buying/lfg as well.  But I do understand your position, I just feel some of the old players of eq would like my idea just cause it literally knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone.

The thing about EC Tunnel is it was developed by the players and not a designated zone annointed from on high. A comparison for a meeting hub would be the Bazaar or Plane of Knowledge rather than EC Tunnel (on Innoruuk we also had Greater Faydark as a trading hub). I like the convenience of a Bazaar/Auction House type zone but there is something to be said for the community itself just sort of gravitating toward a central location and you know that's where to go to find people and trade items. It has a lot more of the Old Market District kind of feel to it than a zone where you just go in and search a menu for what you want.

I think this sort of thing will just naturally happen and doesn't necessarily need to be designated or developed as part of the game. The only real benefits to a Bazaar-type zone in my opinion is the ability to set up a trader and not have to actually man it the entire time, and an easier way to find what you need once the game has been in development for quite some time and there are literally thousands of items to sort through.

Kind of going off topic, but my point is that I don't think a specific zone needs to be designated the "meet-up" zone. I think it will happen naturally. I do think we need little more than an LFG-style window/flag like Everquest has and a way to communicate looking for groups or players to a chat channel to accomplish the task of finding groups.

You realize that their are going to be factions which immediately means not not everyone is going to be able to use the same gathering hubs which instantly means around certain areas there will be "player made" gathering spots, but having a place feel alive in multiple zones not just in dungeons and one huge trading hub, but all across the world sounds much better in my eyes.  And yes player made trading hubs were nice but having a function that just also makes great trading hubs are still player made, no one said they have to sell there, or was meant to be sold there, they just more than likely will because that's where people will go to go lfg or lfm so they know there will be a lot of people traveling through there.

Or let's say there's 2 different Taverns using different faction decently close to each other and decided to build a trading hub between the 2 so the opposite faction can go lfg and check out the trading hub at the same time, that is literally pretty much what made EC tunnel anyway, due to a ton of different cities literally went by EC tunnel to get to each other, so same principle while using a different function.

Though I have heard other great ideas and I like them as well

This post was edited by Cealtric at May 30, 2019 8:51 AM PDT
    • 1430 posts
    May 30, 2019 8:56 AM PDT

starblight said:

stellarmind said:

Chanus said:

I keep seeing people suggesting the LFG tools are somewhat new. I do not mean to pick on you as many have hinted at this idea. But I am curious when do you feel the LFG tool was first used? I know I was using it before 2003 in EQ and of the many MMO'S I have played since I am hard pressed to come up with one that did not have a LFG tool of some sort.

my memory  is a bit fuzzy with lfg in wow.  i just remember the older lfg no one ever used it.  from a group perspective, you wanted to know who you were really taking along, especially if you were going to be spending 2-3 hrs in a dungeon.  when the new lfg came out though, spam chat for lfg completely faded away as with any personal interaction you'd have with a party member.  just for clarification, i support both a spam chat and a lfg.  it is my preference to build a party or guild via chat because it's more personable than lfg.

• 1430 posts
    May 30, 2019 8:58 AM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Instead of asking these inane clickbait questions to the community, why don't we get actual answers from VR? 

there is going to be an lfg. uwudune has already spoken about it.  overseer kilsin just wants to know what our preference is.

• 2138 posts
    May 30, 2019 10:19 AM PDT

-Dungeon finders: I don't know this

-player spam in chat: I like this. I like seeing general chatter and whatnot. especially if I have nothing planned or may have something later. I can hear what people I dont know are doing or looking for, can answer questions or offer help or find P-UG's. I prefer a general chat channel that you can turn on and off, and zone-wide shouts with taboos, like shouting all the time is not ok but shouting for help is ok or shouting for good reason is ok.

-dedicated group/raid forums: definitely for more organized stuff. will be there at a certain time on a certain date to do X thing. More of a guild thing than  group thing. I can't tell you how many times on an individual basis where I have arranged for a group the next day, and everyone was in agreement, only to have none of them show up, or if they did, to forget and when I sought them out they were in another group. Flakey? who am I to judge, life happens and its a game.  

-or something else entirely, How do you prefer to form or join groups in-game?: the training so far has been spur of the moment and seeing who is on. Granted the same group can get boring after a while and its necessary to meet new people unles you are challenged or doing hard stuff.

So ideally: Using a interface before character set up, maybe called player set up? where you answer basic questions like:

1.time zone,

2.native language

3.what days you intend play,

4.how long you intend to play on those days you do play.

5.optional: to determine sudden inavailability; Family obligations (Single, Married, parent, it's complicated, pets/animals?)

6.otional: personal choice what you want to show/lie about; general type of work you do (retired, care giver, first responder, 9-5er, medical, military, civil services, retail, customer service, food service, student)

Then perhaps something you can toggle to see who is on? like /who all match 3&4? that match the 3&4 of your player set up. listing who is on at that time that matches your day and  play time for the day you are logged in. This can change of course so you have to check names that are on at different days 

Then ideally for me, Forged from scared newbies, a nice group of 4 or 5 people(non-quarternity) that we've learned to work well together regularly meet and do stuff, we have two spots to invite strangers. Hopefully, as we invite strangers those strangers make their own group of 4 or 5 and we occasionally swap part or all of members so we "get gud" fighting with the others styles and doing stuff. And then maybe some guild notices us and takes the initiative to fill those 2 spots with guild members in our group, alternating different guild members in those two spots in our group and vieing for our time so we get to meet members of that guild and they us and after a time that guild offers the group- NOT the individuals, but the group an invite to the guild. And we tell them of our other friends, and maybe another group of 4 or 5 get invited to the guild. And then we do bigger things and have fun and meet more people and open up 5 and 6 on our player profiles and go to Cons and be social. 

• 52 posts
    May 30, 2019 10:30 AM PDT

I like dungeon finder as I have met some of my best gaming friends through it.  I think it's a great way to meet people.  That said, I will also say I really like the fellowship concept from EQ, it was awesome to be able to assemble a group of friends that may not be guild members, and port everyone to you.  I like that better than dungeon portal stones, because if you exploring or questing you can include a friend quickly in what you are doing especially if the world grows to a large size as we are all hoping for.  Especially if there will be no flying mounts which I am cool with but make porting a thing. Guild flags and fellowships runes or whatever works.   I really thought it helps make getting groups and friends into the game quickly when they log on or if you needed some quick help for a rare takedown.  I just thought it was a great concept and added to a positive game experience.  Or like insta group like when you join a group in D3, when once you get the invite you port right to the group.  It just gets everyone into the game faster.  If I have 40 minutes to play and it takes me 10 to get to my group that kinda sucks, versus asking for an invite and porting to the group right away!

This post was edited by Albe at May 30, 2019 10:34 AM PDT
    • 28 posts
    May 30, 2019 11:13 AM PDT

Albe said:

I like dungeon finder as I have met some of my best gaming friends through it.  I think it's a great way to meet people.  That said, I will also say I really like the fellowship concept from EQ, it was awesome to be able to assemble a group of friends that may not be guild members, and port everyone to you.  I like that better than dungeon portal stones, because if you exploring or questing you can include a friend quickly in what you are doing especially if the world grows to a large size as we are all hoping for.  Especially if there will be no flying mounts which I am cool with but make porting a thing. Guild flags and fellowships runes or whatever works.   I really thought it helps make getting groups and friends into the game quickly when they log on or if you needed some quick help for a rare takedown.  I just thought it was a great concept and added to a positive game experience.  Or like insta group like when you join a group in D3, when once you get the invite you port right to the group.  It just gets everyone into the game faster.  If I have 40 minutes to play and it takes me 10 to get to my group that kinda sucks, versus asking for an invite and porting to the group right away!

Pretty much none of this hopefully. 

• 696 posts
    May 30, 2019 1:37 PM PDT

^ There won't be. Unless VR has a new target market lol. You will have to travel to the dungeon you want to do. I think they will have a lfg tool just to see who is lfg for what and form groups like that. Which is basic and good enough for the casual player who can't go to the dungeon they want to go to and simply ask around. But yeah, 99% sure no insta tps to dungeons will be in game. This is an open world after all.

• 417 posts
    May 30, 2019 3:26 PM PDT

Manouk said:

So ideally: Using a interface before character set up, maybe called player set up? where you answer basic questions like:

1.time zone,

2.native language

3.what days you intend play,

4.how long you intend to play on those days you do play.

5.optional: to determine sudden inavailability; Family obligations (Single, Married, parent, it's complicated, pets/animals?)

6.otional: personal choice what you want to show/lie about; general type of work you do (retired, care giver, first responder, 9-5er, medical, military, civil services, retail, customer service, food service, student)

Then perhaps something you can toggle to see who is on? like /who all match 3&4? that match the 3&4 of your player set up. listing who is on at that time that matches your day and  play time for the day you are logged in. This can change of course so you have to check names that are on at different days 

Then ideally for me, Forged from scared newbies, a nice group of 4 or 5 people(non-quarternity) that we've learned to work well together regularly meet and do stuff, we have two spots to invite strangers. Hopefully, as we invite strangers those strangers make their own group of 4 or 5 and we occasionally swap part or all of members so we "get gud" fighting with the others styles and doing stuff. And then maybe some guild notices us and takes the initiative to fill those 2 spots with guild members in our group, alternating different guild members in those two spots in our group and vieing for our time so we get to meet members of that guild and they us and after a time that guild offers the group- NOT the individuals, but the group an invite to the guild. And we tell them of our other friends, and maybe another group of 4 or 5 get invited to the guild. And then we do bigger things and have fun and meet more people and open up 5 and 6 on our player profiles and go to Cons and be social. 

I really like your vision, it mirrors my own hopes as well.

• 390 posts
    May 30, 2019 8:24 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

are you mad bro?

The give info. every single month in the news letter. The forums are just community having fun (or fighting) until the game gets here. 

I would avoid General chat if you don't wanna participate. There is a section called News and Announcements that might be more of what you want. 

in other words, chill out. wow. kilsin can't have fun and ask random stuff? 

• 116 posts
    May 31, 2019 6:07 AM PDT

Flapp said:

Keno Monster said:

are you mad bro?

The give info. every single month in the news letter. The forums are just community having fun (or fighting) until the game gets here. 

I would avoid General chat if you don't wanna participate. There is a section called News and Announcements that might be more of what you want. 

in other words, chill out. wow. kilsin can't have fun and ask random stuff? 

So true, Brad McQuaid (in the February Q&A part of the Newsletter) stated ”Pantheon will take a proactive role in bringing people together by helping them find friends, rewarding them for grouping and using teamwork, and doing anything else that helps build community (e.g. not simplistic group finders).”

• 441 posts
    June 4, 2019 11:31 AM PDT

Chanus said:

Nanfoodle said:

I think this isn't as true as people like to believe.

Or, rather, it doesn't necessarily guarantee good faith actors. There are plenty of people who relish being the bad guy/troll and the notoriety that comes from being known for being a troll. They have existed as far back as I can remember and there were definitely people who seemed to do just fine despite they fact everyone was aware they were a terrible person. Presumably because these people garner enough notoriety they attract hangers-on whom they can use to achieve enough success that their bad name doesn't prevent them from playing the game.

As well there isn't anything intrinsic to cross-server grouping that prevents someone's name from becoming known for good or ill reasons. There's nothing functionally different in that sense from someone being on a different server from you as opposed to simply being in a different zone on your server. The world isn't as local as it was in 1999 because those localizations in 1999 were merely technical limitations. You didn't know people from other servers then simply because you had no way to interact with them at the time.

Trolls will be Trolls not matter what game systems you add. If the Dungeon/Team finder is only on your server your name will still have meaning as people will not play with a Troll even if a finder adds them to your group. Would work even better if your ignore list was tied into the finder. 

• 297 posts
    June 4, 2019 11:48 AM PDT

That's my whole point. The idea that "your name means something" doesn't actually matter and never has. People who are bad actors are totally fine with their name meaning something.

• 441 posts
    June 4, 2019 11:54 AM PDT

Chanus said:

That's my whole point. The idea that "your name means something" doesn't actually matter and never has. People who are bad actors are totally fine with their name meaning something.

But it did back in the day with EQ1. No way to change your name, taking 6-12 months to get to max level. Taking sometimes years to get your AAs to raiding level. Getting blackballed by a guild and guilds used to talk back in the day. Having to dump a char that had a bad name and reroll a new char was a huge investment in time. I hope Pantheon brings that back.