Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Newbie Area is Important

• 483 posts
    March 8, 2017 1:35 PM PST

A really simplified version of the /help funtion (text box toturial) with the basics of the game and some suggestions to what the player must do to proggress in the game should (imo) be the toturial.

Some of the more basics and essential knowledge for the complete noobs :

- Combat - where it explains the combat and your main resources stamina/health/mana - it's tab targetting with auto-attacks and you use spells and skills, mob's health reaches zero it dies, your health reaches zero you die, Blablabla and soo on.

- NPC interaction - explains the consider (hostile/neutral/friendly) system and how to talk and interact with NPC's

and that's about it, i don't think a new player needs to know much more.

At the end of this super fast tutorial give some suggestions to how to proggress and maybe suggest some noobie are for them to explore. Like recomending grouping up with other players to actually kill mobs effectivly and explain them the death penalty when they reach a higher level.

Outside of this information i don't think new players need much more to go on an adventure and have fun, give them the tattered note and let them explore.

Then the more in-depth information can still be accessed trought the /help in the advanced information window.

• 1303 posts
    March 9, 2017 8:58 AM PST
    My problem with the way a lot of tutorials are implimented is that they incentivize doing the tutorial even if you dont need it by inflating rewards over those gotten thru normal gameplay. The tutorial leads to a short path achievement of a full suit of gear while providing inflated xp and advancements. It almost puts the player that doesnt go thru the steps at a disadvantage of power and level gains early on.

Theres something to be said for feeling joy in dynamically looting or discovering upgrades and tutorials often curtail that for a few levels. It can also set a false expectatiin of how the rest of the game will play, and leave people feeling disappointed or annoyed at the sudden lack of fast achievement the follows the tutorials.
    • 3852 posts
    March 10, 2017 7:51 AM PST

Much to what you say, Feyshtey but it doesn't have to be that way and often isn't. If VR means what they say about slow advancement - and I'm sure they do - a tutorial would give at most one level and maybe less. Most games start a character with some very basic gear - tutorials often start them with less and the gear they get doing the tutorial IS the basic gear that those that skip the tutorial begin with anyway.

Now a starter "island" is a horse of a wholly different color. Using the current EQ2 version as an example, if you do almost all the quests you may finish and head to the first city at level 6-8 more or less. Whereas if you choose to start in, let us say New Halas, you will cross a narrow strait and arrive at the pass into town at around level 6 after doing the quests from the first quest hub. So the starter island that any good character can select gives you more than the first quest hub if you select a starter city directly. Is this what I had in mind when I mentioned some perceived benefits of a starter "island" - no it isn't. I had in mind a smaller but very well polished communal starting area that would send you to your racial city at around level 1 1/2 to 2 so we still would all be starting together in effect.