Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will "boat rides" take time?

• 483 posts
    April 13, 2017 10:54 AM PDT

I just had an idea of how to make boat travel interactive, Make the ship require a player crew to begin sailing faster. (still works with no players it's just slower)

(no player crew): The ships travel their route normaly if there are no players aboard, there's just an NPC crew that does the tasks so the ship can sail (hoisting the sails, preparing the ropes, loading the provisions, etc)

(With a player crew): The ships travel their route normaly, but the players can help the NPC with their tasks, making the overall voyage faster, and the more players helping the faster the ship will set sail.

I'm assuming the ship will stay a fair amount of time in the port like 5-10 mins, with this system players have something to do while they're waiting for the ship to set sail, and sailing with more players is beneficial and encouraged because it's faster. 

• 542 posts
    April 13, 2017 2:17 PM PDT

Great Jpedrote

preparing a ship for sail could be done by one person

or when the whole group attends the capstan, the ship would be ready to sail faster

• 2886 posts
    April 17, 2017 5:13 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

I just had an idea of how to make boat travel interactive, Make the ship require a player crew to begin sailing faster. (still works with no players it's just slower)

(no player crew): The ships travel their route normaly if there are no players aboard, there's just an NPC crew that does the tasks so the ship can sail (hoisting the sails, preparing the ropes, loading the provisions, etc)

(With a player crew): The ships travel their route normaly, but the players can help the NPC with their tasks, making the overall voyage faster, and the more players helping the faster the ship will set sail.

I'm assuming the ship will stay a fair amount of time in the port like 5-10 mins, with this system players have something to do while they're waiting for the ship to set sail, and sailing with more players is beneficial and encouraged because it's faster. 

This is a fantastic idea! Ship it.

Pun very much intended lol

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 17, 2017 5:13 AM PDT
    • 110 posts
    April 17, 2017 6:58 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

Holy cow ... what a great idea! It allows people to go faster if they wish, but if someone wants to take it slow, they can do that as well. That definitely qualifies as my "best of both worlds" solution!

• 1468 posts
    April 17, 2017 7:22 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

Sounds like a good plan. It keeps it in the setting of the world and allows faster travel if you are in a rush. Maybe there could be a boat skill and the better your boat skill was the faster you made the boat travel up to a reasonable maximum speed. The more people with high boat skill joining in the better chance you have of making the boat reach maximum speed levels.