Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Recent Feature or Mechanic?

• 9115 posts
    May 16, 2016 4:05 AM PDT

Can you name a feature or mechanic that you really liked from an MMORPG that was released within the last 5 years? :)

• 104 posts
    May 16, 2016 4:45 AM PDT
    AoE looting.
    • 7 posts
    May 16, 2016 4:55 AM PDT

Guild Wars 2 introduced a number of innovative features to the genre:

1. Dynamic Events - Okay, they weren't all that dynamic, but the event system was a fun way to do the grinding and accomplish kill counts for what would otherwise be pretty boring "questing". You completed your "quests" simply by participating in events, and that was a lot of fun.
    2. Wardrobe Feature - This may not applicable to a game like Pantheon, but GW2 had a huge itemization metagame, and the wardrobe feature was revolutionary when it came to transmog and managing your character's appearance.
    3. Downleveling - GW2 was the first game I played that downleveled characters when they were in lower-level areas. You still had the benefit of your higher level skills and equipment, but the elite and boss mobs in lower level areas could still kill you if you tried to wade in and one-shot them.

• 38 posts
    May 16, 2016 5:13 AM PDT

Any kind of scaling to counter power creep and allow you to keep most of the content relevant after a character acquired more powerful gear or gained additional levels.

Just pasting some exemples from a previous thread. My favorite system would be from Destiny, or Wildstar which only focuses on specific monsters/dungeons that you want to keep challenging:

- World of Warcraft, Legion - all the zones introduced in the future expac will 'seemlessly' scale up to your character's level, individualy. World quests will give players an incentive to come back to them as one of several means of progressing their character. This system lets you group up and fight alongside with lower and higher level characters for any outdoor content without experiencing the actual disparities in power from level difference, aside from additional abilities. (Note that in Legion, this has been stated not to affect gear level, so a highly geared character will still steamroll through most of this content once he outgears it.)

- Destiny - Damage done to a lower level mob is capped, and damage taken from it is scaled up, so that it may still be somewhat 'realistically' threatening to your character regardless of level or tier of gear. The main downside would be that you will see very low damage numbers pop up as you fight it, compared to what you would be dealing through current content. (Note that in Destiny, the cap is fairly high so doing a low level raid will still feel fairly trivial, but this would have happened with maxed out gear back when it was current and numbers could easily be tuned down by the developpers if they felt the need to make it challenging.)

- Wildstar - World Bosses, as well as other challenging monsters, have a dynamic level. They may display a minimum level (or none), but their damage will scale up to your character's should it outlevel them. Damage done to them will 'seemlessly' appear normal for you level and gear but will in fact be scaled down after poping up and before being taken into account, similar to Destiny's system, but for specific monsters and dungeons.

- Guild Wars 2 - You character's level is dynamically scaled down whenever you move between lower level areas. This doesn't affect your number of abilities, and will often let you slightly outlevel most monsters. This feels fairly 'artificial' and immersion breaking to me, having my level changing drastically all the time and I'd rather go with another system.

This post was edited by Coldlight at May 16, 2016 5:20 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 16, 2016 5:56 AM PDT

Aena said: AoE looting.

That can be convenient but is debatable in a game like Pantheon ;)

• 9115 posts
    May 16, 2016 5:58 AM PDT

BitterClinger said:

Guild Wars 2 introduced a number of innovative features to the genre:

1. Dynamic Events - Okay, they weren't all that dynamic, but the event system was a fun way to do the grinding and accomplish kill counts for what would otherwise be pretty boring "questing". You completed your "quests" simply by participating in events, and that was a lot of fun.
    2. Wardrobe Feature - This may not applicable to a game like Pantheon, but GW2 had a huge itemization metagame, and the wardrobe feature was revolutionary when it came to transmog and managing your character's appearance.
    3. Downleveling - GW2 was the first game I played that downleveled characters when they were in lower-level areas. You still had the benefit of your higher level skills and equipment, but the elite and boss mobs in lower level areas could still kill you if you tried to wade in and one-shot them.

Yeah, it was marketed well as being dynamic rifts but they spawned in the same places every time almost on a timer ;)

Wardrobe and downleveling/mentoring are both cool :)

• 9115 posts
    May 16, 2016 5:58 AM PDT

Coldlight said:

Any kind of scaling to counter power creep and allow you to keep most of the content relevant after a character acquired more powerful gear or gained additional levels.

Just pasting some exemples from a previous thread. My favorite system would be from Destiny, or Wildstar which only focuses on specific monsters/dungeons that you want to keep challenging:

- World of Warcraft, Legion - all the zones introduced in the future expac will 'seemlessly' scale up to your character's level, individualy. World quests will give players an incentive to come back to them as one of several means of progressing their character. This system lets you group up and fight alongside with lower and higher level characters for any outdoor content without experiencing the actual disparities in power from level difference, aside from additional abilities. (Note that in Legion, this has been stated not to affect gear level, so a highly geared character will still steamroll through most of this content once he outgears it.)

- Destiny - Damage done to a lower level mob is capped, and damage taken from it is scaled up, so that it may still be somewhat 'realistically' threatening to your character regardless of level or tier of gear. The main downside would be that you will see very low damage numbers pop up as you fight it, compared to what you would be dealing through current content. (Note that in Destiny, the cap is fairly high so doing a low level raid will still feel fairly trivial, but this would have happened with maxed out gear back when it was current and numbers could easily be tuned down by the developpers if they felt the need to make it challenging.)

- Wildstar - World Bosses, as well as other challenging monsters, have a dynamic level. They may display a minimum level (or none), but their damage will scale up to your character's should it outlevel them. Damage done to them will 'seemlessly' appear normal for you level and gear but will in fact be scaled down after poping up and before being taken into account, similar to Destiny's system, but for specific monsters and dungeons.

- Guild Wars 2 - You character's level is dynamically scaled down whenever you move between lower level areas. This doesn't affect your number of abilities, and will often let you slightly outlevel most monsters. This feels fairly 'artificial' and immersion breaking to me, having my level changing drastically all the time and I'd rather go with another system.

Yeah, nice mate, I did read those when they were originally posted ;)

• 14 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:03 AM PDT

Its either more than 5 years in Lord of the Rings online or a game not released in Shroud of the Avatar.

ABC Notation System

This is a possibility to write music in an ascii file. For more information I have a link to wiki. I’m not a musician, but I spend hours and hours to listen to player groups in pubs or where ever. Its realy awesome to listen some of these groups. For an example search youtube for "lotro music band"

• 62 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:10 AM PDT

I liked how Elder Scrolls Online had healing abilities that did not require whack a mole type gameplay where you were constantly looking at health bars. It meant that I could often look at what's happening during combat instead. 

• 7 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:18 AM PDT

zaktaros said:

I liked how Elder Scrolls Online had healing abilities that did not require whack a mole type gameplay where you were constantly looking at health bars. It meant that I could often look at what's happening during combat instead. 

THIS!

I've been pretty disappointed with the move to "action combat" in the MMORPG genre, but the character based combat from previous years felt more like managing an interface. I would hate that I would miss so many epic battles because I was staring at my UI, either at health bars, cooldowns, or proc timers.

• 279 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:26 AM PDT

bust/butt sliders

• 1434 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:32 AM PDT

Trade runs - Transporting goods or anything else for the peoples of city or outpost to another. Age of Wushu probably did it best. If I remember, you could move not only goods, but serve as a protection detail.

Fishing as it appeared in ArcheAge (which was actually similar to Vanguard's). I do like the addition of the weight mini-game where you can only carry so many fish before returning to port to sell them.

Farming. Enjoyed both Age of Wushu and ArcheAge's farming systems.

I'm basically all for any form of gameplay that allows different types of players to find a place within the virtual world. In my perfect MMO, there will be people who never pick up a sword or cast a spell, yet play every day and have a significant role in the world.

• 384 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:35 AM PDT

I've only played a handful of mmos in the last five years. And unfortunately there wasn't much new to like. 

I did enjoy the farming and trade mechanic in Archeage and the ability to create ships and housing.  

I appreciate what other games have tried to do with the scaling of mobs to keep zones relevant but I personally don't like that at all. I like to feel my characters growth and when you come back to an area that you spent a lot of time in at lower levels and all the mobs con green to you, you really get a sense Of how far you've come. Would much rather have a wide level range of monsters in an area to keep you coming back and plenty of reasons to come back to your starting town too.

• 91 posts
    May 16, 2016 9:10 AM PDT

I cant remember, anything "in the last 5 years", i woud love to see in PRotF. But i would love to see a proper mentoring feature, like in EQ2. So you can "downlevel" yourself to the level of your lowlevel-friend and help/guild/play with him.

• 2130 posts
    May 16, 2016 9:14 AM PDT

Second AOE looting.

Right clicking a pile of corpses is not challenging or interesting. EQ's advanced loot system is one of the best modern features they ever added to that game. My only complaint in that case is the extremely cumbersome UI.

This post was edited by Liav at May 16, 2016 9:15 AM PDT
    • 131 posts
    May 16, 2016 10:07 AM PDT
    Not released in the past 5 years, but the looting system from eq2. Copied exactly, would be awesome. Can set vendor loot to round robin, and gear etc to pop up for each member need greed or decline. Also for raids can set leader only looting and the leader can specify looters as needed and also assign loot on the fly. Short response from phone at lunch :)
    • 1778 posts
    May 16, 2016 10:33 AM PDT

I can name several, but Ill stick with my 3 favorite:

1. Neverwinter - The Foundry - Ability to build or play through player made dungeons (though I wish they would have done more with that system).

2. FFXIV - The Armory - Seperate item inventory for playr made gear sets for switching gear on the fly (In XIV this is for switching easily between jobs, in Pantheon it could be used to switch gear for atmospheres).

3. From a few games including Arche Age, FFXIV, Project Gorgon (Im sure there are others) - Treasure Hunting (Its just fun, doesnt even need to be that rewarding for me though wouldnt hurt feelings if it were).

• 200 posts
    May 16, 2016 11:40 AM PDT

I liked in The elder scrolls online, that carrying different weapons gave you different abilities. Wielding a heal staff you could heal the most encounters very well. The same character could switch to a fire staff and would get some nice fire spells, losing the heal spells from the heal staff. But i doubt, that this system would fit in Pantheon.

Greetings

• 613 posts
    May 16, 2016 11:51 AM PDT

GW2 combat.  For some reason that game has a smooth and simple interface to use.  Granted not the most indepth mechanic but solid.  Range weapons and casting work well.  Melee is not bad either. 

GW2 hits the list again with the living story.  I think in beta it was suppoesed to be far differnt than the current version but the concept is allows for constand content updates and features.

Crafting in VG was a a great experience for me.  SWG was good too. 

Ox

• 724 posts
    May 16, 2016 11:51 AM PDT

Liav said:

Second AOE looting.

Right clicking a pile of corpses is not challenging or interesting. EQ's advanced loot system is one of the best modern features they ever added to that game. My only complaint in that case is the extremely cumbersome UI.

I'd also like to see a system like this. Can't imagine going back to a system where I have to manually click on each mob to loot (not to mention, that is sometimes not possible when mobs have fallen above each other, are stuck in walls etc). I'll also agree that the UI for it could be improved and made a bit more intuitive (it is quite usable once you know it, but can be intimidating at first).

This post was edited by Sarim at May 16, 2016 11:52 AM PDT
    • 1 posts
    May 16, 2016 4:29 PM PDT

I can't really think of anything. The more I think about new features, the less sure I am that I want them. After I watched this video about EQ1, I remembered how much interaction was forced when you didn't have things...like server-wide markets and party-finding. While there are lots of valid improvements to various MMO components out there, I'm just extra wary of 'features,' (though there's some good features as well).

Also, I'm going to disagree with something that got mentioned twice: dynamically leveling zones. I really don't want zones to level themselves dynamically. If I'm level 35, I want to walk through a lvl 10 zone like I'm a level 35 character. It completely contradicts the sense of accomplishment that I have at being lvl 35 if I can't walk through the game and feel that way.

This post was edited by ghazni at May 16, 2016 4:31 PM PDT
    • 257 posts
    May 16, 2016 5:44 PM PDT

AOE Looting

Seperate inventory spaces for crafting, etc (like neverwinter's crafting)

VG Offensive/ Defensive targeting: This was soooo huge that I assumed that all MMOS afterwards would implement it. I am surprised they have not.

VG Crafting

VG Diplomacy

VG Outfits for adventure, crafting, diplomacy

• 999 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:01 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

I'm basically all for any form of gameplay that allows different types of players to find a place within the virtual world. In my perfect MMO, there will be people who never pick up a sword or cast a spell, yet play every day and have a significant role in the world.

I echo Dullahan's quoted statement.  I would still be one that would fall in the Adventurer sphere, but I want the virtual world feeling that would be created by multiple forms of challenging gameplay.

And, I've stated it quite a bit on these forums, but I would want a robust skill system similar to Project Gorgon; however, I wouldn't want the skill system tied directly to level progression, but as another form of alternate progression with mastery of skills giving minor bonuses. 

Basically, I want options/variety (especially at end-game), but options that stay true to Pantheon's tenets - mainly challenging gameplay.

• 112 posts
    May 16, 2016 8:27 PM PDT

most of what i thought has been mentioned, but ill add the autopsy/anatomy skill in Project Gorgon.

basically after killing a mob you clicked it and gained some small info on it. so the more wolves you killed, the more you learned - what abilities it did, would it run, would it call for help, what could it be skinned for, looted, etc. - i think you may have even gotten bonus to combat against them after a certain level.

• 378 posts
    May 16, 2016 8:37 PM PDT

Really enjoyed ESO's ablity to paint my Armor to suit my style ( need to keep the color schemes within reason, no Hot pink etc )