Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mentor Mechanics

This topic has been closed.
    • 671 posts
    February 3, 2016 7:32 AM PST

Mephiles said:

Hieromonk said:

Bro, we are past all of that. Why regurgitate what you have already said..?

I ask you to think about mentoring and why you need it.  Then, when you find the reason within yourself, reflect on how does each Character benefit from mentoring. Once you have that answer...  argue it with yourself for a few days and then come back.

Just go read what you wrote.

You make so much fun of the work need, then go on to offer up needy suggestion for mentoring. That prove nothing of why you need Mentoring... and that all of what you said... can still be done (applied) by 2 friends who are not mentered. What does the mechnic provide?

You do understand, if u are lvl 45 and just met a lvl 12 friend.. that helping him, is not spending the next month getting him 10 lvl's..  Helping him, is roleplayig with him and helping with his immediate plight, & sharing knowledge and taking him to certain areas or introducing him to OTHER people his level. Showing him around & what forests are safest to travel in, etc. That is mentoring.

Two People can always go have fun together.

You don't need some in-game "Mentor" mechanic to equalize players, before those two players can play alongside each other.

How about you read what you said, because you have said it 3 times now and yet somehow don't get that I am responding to it.

Just so you don't manage to miss it again let me quote it specifically for you : "I ask you to think about mentoring and why you need it."

I have thought about it and I have given my response on the matter. I don't get your rediculous, self centered backwards thinking because you keep saying I for whatever reason need proof that I need this system when I have already stated several times I don't need it but that it provides a service that enhances the game in several meaninful ways which I have listed. I have explained why the mentoring mechanic is important and why attempting to reach the same goals without it is insufficient. As I had already said, you need nothing not one feature any one of us could want in this game is a need so asking for someone to prove a need is inherently backwards.

"You do understand, if u are lvl 45 and just met a lvl 12 friend.. that helping him, is not spending the next month getting him 10 lvl's.. Helping him, is roleplayig with him and helping with his immediate plight, & sharing knowledge and taking him to certain areas or introducing him to OTHER people his level. Showing him around & what forests are safest to travel in, etc. That is mentoring."

And how is grouping up with them NOT helping? That aside I didn't list "helping" as a reason did I? As said, I am not familiar with the "mentoring" from games like everquest 2 and vanguard which seem to have a slightly different intent from the level sync feature in ffxi (in ffxi they offered a different mentoring system which was exactly what you said, it tagged people willing to offer advice and assistance to others).

"Two People can always go have fun together.

You don't need some in-game "Mentor" mechanic to equalize players, before those two players can play alongside each other."

And adding a level sycn mechanic adds another dimension for players to have fun together sooo ? Especially for a game where leveling is going to be such a significant portion of it (which you most certainly will not be able to do alongside each other without a buch of extra shackles or without direct interaction) it seems silly to ignore that giant gap in ability to play together.

At the end of the day I have given pleanty of reasons to have this system and all you have done is said "bro, why do you need it?", compelling argument on your part. Why don't you think on it for a while and come back when you have a reason you need it to not be in the game. 

OK, so you have established that you do not need a Mentoring system. It is something you want based on no needs what so ever. Thanks for playing along.

/end of thread.

Also, did it really take you this long to admit you do not understand "mentoring", only the "sync-system" mechanic in Final Fantasy...? When I already asked you to look at the fact that Final Fantasy is not EQ, EQ2 or Vanguard. Along with the fact you have not answered the most simplest of questions: Why can't 2 players do the things you say, without being mentored.. ? 

Your Answer : And adding a level sycn mechanic adds another dimension for players to have fun together sooo ?

What is this added dimension for players..? What does the "mentoring" mechanic do, thats adds dimesnion & fun for players?

I've asked enough times, spit it out plz.

• 671 posts
    February 3, 2016 7:34 AM PST

BTW... the whole point of MENTORING is helping out another.

men·tor
    [ˈmenˌtôr, ˈmenˌtər]
    VERB

1. advise or train (someone, especially a younger colleague).

• 157 posts
    February 3, 2016 8:03 AM PST
    I played a game a while back that had a mentoring channel. It was a chat channel devoted to people asking and answering questions about the game and about playing the game. Some truly amazing information flowed in that channel.
    • 110 posts
    February 3, 2016 9:07 AM PST

Not adverse to the idea as I dont see that mentoring really harms anything, as long as the higher level player is properly "nerfed" to the appropriate level its a non issue to me. I also would say if its not in game, I wouldnt be botherd in the least either.

• 116 posts
    February 3, 2016 10:07 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

OK, so you have established that you do not need a Mentoring system. It is something you want based on no needs what so ever. Thanks for playing along.

/end of thread.

Also, did it really take you this long to admit you do not understand "mentoring", only the "sync-system" mechanic in Final Fantasy...? When I already asked you to look at the fact that Final Fantasy is not EQ, EQ2 or Vanguard. Along with the fact you have not answered the most simplest of questions: Why can't 2 players do the things you say, without being mentored.. ? 

Your Answer : And adding a level sycn mechanic adds another dimension for players to have fun together sooo ?

What is this added dimension for players..? What does the "mentoring" mechanic do, thats adds dimesnion & fun for players?

At this point I'm not sure if you are unable to understand his points or simply being a troll...if we apply your reasoning of "need", the game doesn't even have to be made since it's something we want, not need.

As for what mentoring adds that cannot be achieved with 2 players of different level is all the benefits of grouping (chat channel, looting rights, exp for the lower character) + maintaining challenge so the mentored player can actually learn how to play in a group dungeon without the high levels buffs, heals and 1-hitting mobs.

It's understandable if you don't want that, but removing a feature just because you won't use it is silly. Might as well get rid of all classes besides monks since you won't be playing those either.

• 158 posts
    February 3, 2016 11:56 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

/end of thread.

Are you really this dull? I explained again and again and again why NEED does not apply. We do not NEED ANY feature, every single feature in a game is purely a want. This is a game, a form of entertainment, every single peice of it is subjective and entirely relative to what people WANT from a game. The ONLY thing that matters in this situation IS what one WANTS not needs. I am done talking to you after this because every single time I say something you ignore 90% of what I say and circle back around to the same point which has already been addressed.

You do realize that the mentoring system and level sync from ffxi are the same kind of system dont you? They both scale back your level and items to a specific point based on another player. You do realize that the only difference is in how they are implimented right? You do realize that I am pushing for an implimentation like final fantasy xi's level sync OVER the mentoring system right? Again, how do you not get this? I support the idea of a mentoring/level sync system, meaning  a system LIKE one from those games not a copy and paste rip from everquest 2 so however it works in that game is entierly IRRELEVANT.

I also don't get how you don't understand my answer to your question (because yes, I did answer it I just expected you to understand some basic concepts). Why can't they do things without being mentored? Becuase the systems of a game tend to stand in the way. What game have you played where as a high level you can group up with a low level and just play the game normally? That certainly didn't happen in any of your holy trinity of games there. Yes you could buff them from outside (which a level sync system still allows), yes you could help them aquire items or something, yes you do any number of secondary support things but you cannot do the actual content with them (speaking primarily activities used to progress character, mainly leveling) without being in the same level range. You are again getting stuck on rediculous ultimatums that do not apply.

Allow me to give some equal examples to your question (I do not support these, they are purely an example of why your question is not a relevant one) :

Do you need mounts or other methods of travel like boats? Nope, you can travel places other ways so we should not have them. 

Do you need levels? Nah, you can just go out and fight things.

Do you need this game? No, you can go do something else.

Do you get it yet? Or do you still not understand that need is a silly qualification for a feature.

This post was edited by Mephiles at February 3, 2016 12:09 PM PST
    • 105 posts
    February 3, 2016 12:03 PM PST

Mekada said:

At this point I'm not sure if you are unable to understand his points or simply being a troll...if we apply your reasoning of "need", the game doesn't even have to be made since it's something we want, not need.

As for what mentoring adds that cannot be achieved with 2 players of different level is all the benefits of grouping (chat channel, looting rights, exp for the lower character) + maintaining challenge so the mentored player can actually learn how to play in a group dungeon without the high levels buffs, heals and 1-hitting mobs.

It's understandable if you don't want that, but removing a feature just because you won't use it is silly. Might as well get rid of all classes besides monks since you won't be playing those either.

That's the only reason he doesn't want it?  So if mentoring is available, how much content do you think will be available for a true lvl 15 and lvl 40 character to work on?  My guess, none, I proabably wont even be able to heal him or like in eq2, loot wont even drop, lame... I don't want the only way to group with my buddy to be me having to replay old content over and over again just so a small minority can get their jollies gimping themselves to redo content.  Want to redo content, creat an alt.  Having a Monk in game won't effect my experience playing the game other than me having to look at them, having mentoring means there is drastic direction the game is deciding to go.  I don't want to see any synch or mentoring system in place because I don't see how it can be implemented without ruining my gaming experience.

This post was edited by geatz at February 3, 2016 12:09 PM PST
    • 158 posts
    February 3, 2016 12:15 PM PST

geatz said:

Mekada said:

That's the only reason he doesn't want it?  So if mentoring is available, how much content do you think will be available for a true lvl 15 and lvl 40 character to work on?  My guess, none, I proabably wont even be able to heal him or like in eq2, loot wont even drop, lame... I don't want the only way to group with my buddy to be me having to replay old content over and over again just so a small minority can get their jollies gimping themselves to redo content.  Want to redo content, creat an alt.  Having a Monk in game won't effect my experience playing the game other than me having to look at them, having mentoring means there is drastic direction the game is deciding to go.  I don't want to see any synch or mentoring system in place because I don't see how it can be implemented without ruining my gaming experience.

Where are you getting this idea? Did it really not let you interact with lower level players unless mentored in everquest 2? If so that is a shame because the system doesn't need to work that way. In FFXI the system still alows you to buff and heal low level players as a high level one with no restrictions and no changes to anything else are made. Litterally the only thing that changes in this system in FFXI was that you sync to another player (which is entirely optional, you can still group without using it and even make a group for exp that doesn't require it) you are effectively that level with reasonable gear.  So again, that is a matter of implimentation, not an inherent problem with the system. Under the better implimentation it would not affect you as your claims above suggest.

This post was edited by Mephiles at February 3, 2016 12:16 PM PST
    • 105 posts
    February 3, 2016 12:36 PM PST

Mephiles said:

Where are you getting this idea? Did it really not let you interact with lower level players unless mentored in everquest 2? If so that is a shame because the system doesn't need to work that way. In FFXI the system still alows you to buff and heal low level players as a high level one with no restrictions and no changes to anything else are made. Litterally the only thing that changes in this system in FFXI was that you sync to another player (which is entirely optional, you can still group without using it and even make a group for exp that doesn't require it) you are effectively that level with reasonable gear.  So again, that is a matter of implimentation, not an inherent problem with the system. Under the better implimentation it would not affect you as your claims above suggest.

No, mentoring was added in because of this problem.  There was no content so they added mentoring as a bandaid to fix the broken mechanics within the game.  If this problem doesn't exist in ff11, then ill assume they added it just so people could replay content without creating an alt?  Or just to add feature and earn a paycheck.  Sounds dumb to me, but whatever, if thats all it is, fine.  But if I want steamroll through a lower level dungeon with my buddy to grab loot, I want to be able to do that if I so choose.

Edit:

After some thought, even if game mechanics are not altered, I still don't want it in.  I feel its a useless feature that is already solved with alts and this progeny system and will only serve to break immersion.  Would still rather not see it.

This post was edited by geatz at February 3, 2016 1:00 PM PST
    • 158 posts
    February 3, 2016 12:54 PM PST

geatz said:

Mephiles said:

No, mentoring was added in because of this problem.  There was no content so they added mentoring as a bandaid to fix the broken mechanics within the game.  If this problem doesn't exist in ff11, then ill assume they added it just so people could replay content without creating an alt?  Or just to add feature and earn a paycheck.  Sounds dumb to me, but whatever, if thats all it is, fine.  But if I want steamroll through a lower level dungeon with my buddy to grab loot, I want to be able to do that if I so choose.

The feature was added to ffxi for two reasons, the first  to allow players to do experience parties with their friends freely and the second, to help fill out parties accross all levels (this was several years in and while popluation was quite high at the time it was somewhat top heavy) . You never really needed to make an alt in ffxi because you could play all jobs (same as classes, different name) on the same character (so for example you could be a level 75 paladin, then max level, and swap to your level 5 black mage and level that up). The ability to go back and do things that I wan't is just one of the things I personally liked that came as a result of the system. And yes, the system as I propose it would not stop you from doing that in the least.

This post was edited by Mephiles at February 3, 2016 12:57 PM PST
    • 1714 posts
    February 3, 2016 1:01 PM PST

Adding too many wants results in a game none of us are here to play. 

• 158 posts
    February 3, 2016 1:13 PM PST

Krixus said:

Adding too many wants results in a game none of us are here to play. 

I think what you mean to say is too many 'different' perspectives wants will result in a game which none of us are here to play, which I would agree with. However so long as it doesn't take from the core intent it should not be a problem and I do not believe that it does. Again, most of us here are looking for pretty much the same experience (meaningful, old school, social, deep, etc.), this isn't some wild deviation from that goal... as much as you want to believe that I am part of some other generation and want to turn this game into a casual experience I do not. I am in the same boat pretty much everyone else is here, I fell in love with an old school mmo (one highly related to everquest) and have been unable to find something that has meant anywhere near as much to me ever since with things moving progressively further and further away from the ideas, the sense of a virtual world, that those early mmos strived for.

• 116 posts
    February 3, 2016 1:45 PM PST

geatz said:

I'm not sure if it's his only reason, I don't feel like re-reading all the posts. However, since it's a system he can easily ignore and not use, why would it change in his life if it's in the game? Nada!

How much content available to lvl 15 and 40 would be all content available to a normal level 15. That's the whole point. To have your 40 effectively level 15 and enjoy level 15 content with a friend. You don't like to redo content? Don't do it, again, very simple. But I don't think it has to be only redos. What if, to put it in EQ terms, I leveled my human in Blackborrow. Months later, my friend joins the game and starts doing Crushbone. I can discover this content with him while teaching him basics of grouping and what not. You could, if you want, stand guard, buff & heal him outside the group, but I would prefer to enjoy the challenge of CB as a level15.

As for alts, I don't feel they are a good solution. If this game is so time consuming to level as everyone wants it to be, it would quickly become a chore to keep an alt leveled to a every friends I might want to mentor down to. Friend takes a day off to level, now the alt is useless until I can catch up. Besides, maybe my main would like to complete a quest missed or do faction grind while my friend levels his main. But again, the choice to use alts is there if you want; why remove mentoring because you don't want it? 

• 105 posts
    February 5, 2016 3:43 PM PST

Lets start with a simple question: should it be a goal to have the experience of the game be the same for all people?

If not then how does a developer even judge whether it's a good game?

• 428 posts
    February 5, 2016 3:56 PM PST

Eq2 used to have out of group healing and the such for high level people to help low level friends then it got abused bigtime and a mentoring system was put into place.  

I really dont see the issue with Mentoring if someone wants to mentor from level 300 to level 5 and help a new friend that just started Great increase the population.  Just because its in the game doesnt mean you have to use it.  This is a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER.  Some aspects you will hate and try to ignore and some aspects you might love and always do and it will be viceversa for others.

As for why cant a level 50 group witha  level ten and go about there merry way.  another good way to exploit the leveling process.  Lets just bring this level 10 into the level 45 zone ill solo kill everything and BOOM he will get mad XP.  You shouldnt be able to group withsomeone X number of levels above or below you and still get loot/XP.

• 105 posts
    February 5, 2016 5:32 PM PST

Kalgore said:

Eq2 used to have out of group healing and the such for high level people to help low level friends then it got abused bigtime and a mentoring system was put into place.  

I really dont see the issue with Mentoring if someone wants to mentor from level 300 to level 5 and help a new friend that just started Great increase the population.  Just because its in the game doesnt mean you have to use it.  This is a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER.  Some aspects you will hate and try to ignore and some aspects you might love and always do and it will be viceversa for others.

As for why cant a level 50 group witha  level ten and go about there merry way.  another good way to exploit the leveling process.  Lets just bring this level 10 into the level 45 zone ill solo kill everything and BOOM he will get mad XP.  You shouldnt be able to group withsomeone X number of levels above or below you and still get loot/XP.

Mentoring, when put in place, simply so users can play with lower level users, implies that you can't already do that, however, we are not told that we can't.  So why would he get mad xp in your example?  Do you know how group XP works in this game already?  What if XP is determined by your performance during the encounter or some other method when there is a vast difference?  As far as loot, that lvl 45 mob better drop loot if I'm lvl 10 and that lvl 10 mob better drop loot if I'm lvl 45, they did in EQ, I'm sure it will here, the Devs already said that if they have it, they drop it.  Give the developers a chance before you start shoving Band-Aid features into a game to solve a problem you don't even know exists.  Its as if you want the problem to exist, just so you can have this dumb feature in the game.  

Just because the problem existed in the MMO you played doesn't mean it will exist here.  These developers aren't cutting and pasting WoW or VG or EQ or EQ2 or etc.  There are plenty of RPG's where you could group lower level characters with higher level ones, so why can't they have a system that does this.  So sorry, if I don't don’t want a mechanic that makes it convenient for you to start over and revert right back whenever you willy nilly feel like it.  There might be tons of options available to you to play with your friend, you have no idea and yet your fighting for what I believe is a horrible fix to a problem that shouldn't exist; nerfed gear, nerfed stats, nerfed spells, just so you can enjoy power leveling your buddy through content you already did, no thank you.  You don't need a feature put in place to make you crappy, you can do that yourself.  

Mentoring/Content scaling are probably my least favorite convenience fix in Modern MMOs and I will continue to voice my opposition to it.  I would rather the alternative problem with not putting this in place in a broken system then having this in the game.  But I have faith in the tenants of this game and the developers that they will not just recreate, but improve upon the EQ and Old school experience of mixed group play.

• 116 posts
    February 6, 2016 10:31 AM PST

geatz said:

There might be tons of options available to you to play with your friend, you have no idea and yet your fighting for what I believe is a horrible fix to a problem that shouldn't exist; nerfed gear, nerfed stats, nerfed spells, just so you can enjoy power leveling your buddy through content you already did, no thank you.  

Except mentoring is NOT about power leveling, that would most likely be best achieved by standing outside your friend's group and providing support. But it's boring AF (to me).

And (again) who says I've seen all the content leveling up? If this game is a big and diverse as hoped by many, there will be a few zones in any level brackets I won't have experienced.

• 105 posts
    February 6, 2016 11:53 AM PST

Mekada said:

geatz said:

There might be tons of options available to you to play with your friend, you have no idea and yet your fighting for what I believe is a horrible fix to a problem that shouldn't exist; nerfed gear, nerfed stats, nerfed spells, just so you can enjoy power leveling your buddy through content you already did, no thank you.  

Except mentoring is NOT about power leveling, that would most likely be best achieved by standing outside your friend's group and providing support. But it's boring AF (to me).

And (again) who says I've seen all the content leveling up? If this game is a big and diverse as hoped by many, there will be a few zones in any level brackets I won't have experienced.

Mentoring is just a convenience feature that heavily breaks the immersion of the game.  Just play an alt, it doesn't ruin it for the rest of us who don’t won't our game world invaded by lvl 50 gimps.  If you want a mentoring system, make a realistic one.

Here is a mentor system I am okay with:

Mentee must be same class as mentor (duh)

Rules only apply if the group is limited to 2 members

When doing content outside the level range of the Mentee, mentor receives half xp, xp for the mentee is half what he would have received if it were his con. (yellow con to mentor, mentee receives half xp for a yellow con) 

When doing content outside the level range of both the mentee and mentor, no xp is given to either

When doing content outside the level range of the mentor, the mentor receives no xp and half XP is earned by the mentee when a single target engagement lasts longer than 30 seconds, 2 targets one minute, 4 targets 2 minutes.

If it has nothing to do with power leveling then you should be okay with this.  These are all just examples not actual realistic numbers.  I don't know the average time for an engagment or if it will change as we level, you could scale the time frames by level I guess.  I understand it isn’t super convenient, I wouldn’t want it to be, but it does provide an option for you to play with your friend, though that's not really the purpose of implementing it.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:25 PM PST

Aggelos said:

I have been searching around the forums and on the FAQ but I couldn’t find anything about mentoring being planned for Pantheon and I was curious what everyone else thought of it.

For those that do not know, games like Rift had a system called Mentoring. It would allow a higher level player to group up with a lower leveled player and choose to scale down to that player so they could adventure together at a similar power level. There were rewards for doing so such as an experience bonus for your lower level friend as well as experience rewards or increased gold drops if you were max level for the mentoring character.

Games like Guild Wars 2 had a similar system in a way except it forced you to be leveled down depending on the zone you were in. This I was not fond of and would like to see a mentoring system like the one in Rift. What about everyone else?

In general I like vertical interdependence (which is my fancy way of describing a system like mentoring -- creating a reason and benefit for lower level and higher level players to interact).   It helps community in general, and one of the really important things is it can really inspire lower level players to achieve when they see a higher level player and all of their cool gear.  I like to see a newbie say, wow, where did you get that breastplate? It's amazing!

All that said, some systems go too far IMHO.  The worst are really systems that allow powerleveling -- hey come with me young padawan and I'll kill a bunch of high level mobs and you just sit there and level up.  That sort of thing we defintiely don't want. 

One thing we are doing in our zone design is making it so that players of all different levels will cross paths.  We're going to try to avoid the old 'all the high level players are on one side of the world and all of the noobs on the other side'.  And we have some other ideas we'll be trying in beta as well.

As for mentoring... I don't have a big adverse reaction to the idea of a high level player voluntarily but temporarily being leveled and powered down so that we can group with lower level players.  Obviously, if not designed right, such a system could be exploited, so if we did it, we'd really have to be careful (although that's kinda always true isn't it :).   I'll bring the idea up with the design team, both the specific idea of mentoring as well as keeping us talking about ways where we can make vertical interdependence be a real positive thing for the game and community.

• 116 posts
    February 6, 2016 4:57 PM PST

Geatz, the system you describes sounds mostly complicated and useless. I'd rather see nothing than that...

geatz said:

Mentoring is just a convenience feature that heavily breaks the immersion of the game.  Just play an alt, it doesn't ruin it for the rest of us who don’t won't our game world invaded by lvl 50 gimps.  If you want a mentoring system, make a realistic one.

I've mentionned already why alts are not a viable option. As for immersion, you wouldn't even know if I'm level 50 or a twinked level15. No immersion is broken unless you know my name. Do you expect a big blinking light saying "mentor" over the character's head or something?

Here is a mentor system I am okay with:

Mentee must be same class as mentor (duh) right off the bat, renders the system (almost) useless to those wanting to share a game session with friends. Chances are my friends won't play the same class as me (duh!)

Rules only apply if the group is limited to 2 members

In a game with group centric content, that wouldn't leave many viable content, again, forcing people to not use your system. (I also hope to bring more than one RL friend over)

When doing content outside the level range of the Mentee, mentor receives half xp, xp for the mentee is half what he would have received if it were his con. (yellow con to mentor, mentee receives half xp for a yellow con) 

When doing content outside the level range of both the mentee and mentor, no xp is given to either

When doing content outside the level range of the mentor, the mentor receives no xp and half XP is earned by the mentee when a single target engagement lasts longer than 30 seconds, 2 targets one minute, 4 targets 2 minutes. 

Sounds complicated. My idea is mentor never ever receive XP. Mentee receives XP as he would normally for the content (since it's being tackled by a group effectively composed of players of same level range)

If it has nothing to do with power leveling then you should be okay with this.  These are all just examples not actual realistic numbers.  I don't know the average time for an engagment or if it will change as we level, you could scale the time frames by level I guess.  I understand it isn’t super convenient, I wouldn’t want it to be, but it does provide an option for you to play with your friend, though that's not really the purpose of implementing it.

• 194 posts
    February 7, 2016 7:51 PM PST

I'm not a huge fan of mentoring mechanics, but so long as the following held true I don't think they would make or break the game for me:

* Mentoring only, no level-syncing where a person of lower level gets elevated in power to match higher level players.  (I'm not really worried about this, the idea is so antithetical to Pantheon's tenets).

-- Reasoning--Higher level content is locked behind the effort it takes to level up and gear up to match that content.  Such systems allow people to bypass the effort needed to access that content.

* The person mentoring down has their stats appropriately scaled back so they aren't overpowered with respect to the content they've scaled down to.

-- Reasoning--As others have said, this just creates a method to power-level lower level players.  If such a system exists it should only be there to allow people to A) play with friends who are lower level and B) show people the ropes who are new to the game.

* The person mentoring down should receive no experience benefits, whatsoever.

-- Reasoning-- Content scales in difficulty, so acquiring exp at level 30 requires a better understanding of game mechanics and is usually higher-risk than acquiring exp at level 5.  If a person can mentor down to a lower level and obtain experience (like shrouding did in Everquest) it creates an avenue where people can bypass more challenging content to gain levels.

In the end, I'd rather see a mentoring system in game than any methods by which people can efficiently power-level other toons.  I'd like to know any high level toons I see running around are being controlled by players who have actually put the time into the game.  And I'd like to feel confident that when I'm up there in levels anyone I find to group up with in my level range is going to have a similar understanding of the game's mechanics.

edit: spelling

This post was edited by Elrandir at February 7, 2016 7:54 PM PST
    • 383 posts
    February 7, 2016 10:04 PM PST

110% against any kind of free ride/mentoring unless the skills/stats/gear was dropped to the level of the lower level they were grouping with.

• 65 posts
    June 4, 2017 10:18 PM PDT

Niien said:

110% against any kind of free ride/mentoring unless the skills/stats/gear was dropped to the level of the lower level they were grouping with.

I hate any artifical system in place to prevent powerleveling etc.  It dumbs down the game.

• 839 posts
    June 4, 2017 10:50 PM PDT

Demostorm said:

Niien said:

I hate any artifical system in place to prevent powerleveling etc.  It dumbs down the game.

Regarding this I am fairly sure they were even tossing up the idea of reducing your players HP/AC/Skills to the same point as they were at that level they are mentoring to.  All weapon and armour stats reduced as well i think.  There was a very resounding agreement from most people to ensure that if mentoring is in that the player who has mentored down is not OP in anyway from their tanking ability, to their healing and DPS capacity. I have full faith that they will perfect this balance during testing with the focus being that a mentored player will add to the group (besides their playing experience) only what an unmentored player at that same level could add.

I hope this isnt too convoluted!

• 9115 posts
    June 5, 2017 3:50 AM PDT

This is a very old thread that we have already answered folks, I encourage necroing on active topics but not one we have answered, Mentoring will be in Pantheon so I will go ahead and close this thread but here is the FAQ explanation.

"4.11 Can I play with my friend’s new character using my high-level character? What about alts?

Yes, through the Mentor System. Mentoring temporarily de-levels your character and allows you to group with them. You will either scale down or assume the character you were at that lower level (TBD) and be a huge help. This will enable players to group together without one being overpowered and content trivialized.

The Mentor System is voluntary although there will be incentives to mentor, giving your character certain advantages (points, recognition, and other rewards – the details are TBD). We want to encourage people to help new players. Additionally, there will be incentives to create alternate characters through the Progeny System (where when you reach a certain level you can create an alternate level one character who will have some advantages over a brand-new character)."