Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Appearance Gear and Weapons

This topic has been closed.
    • 85 posts
    November 14, 2015 1:35 AM PST

Kilsin said:

My personal preference is that you wear what you want but unless you dress appropriately, you will suffer consequences.

Yes.  This.

• 17 posts
    November 16, 2015 3:43 PM PST

I personally like appearance gear. When I am at the end game I don't like my characters to look super crazy lightning coming off their armor. A shower of sparks blasting off a staff like an out of control roman candle. A lot of times I dress characters down to make them look more humble. Also have you all seen some of that insano color combos and looks from wearing say, dwarven work boots (chain mail), Silver-plated leggings, Tree Weave(leather), Hero bracers (green plate), Dark Mail gauntlets (black chain), Azure sleaves (no graphic). Say a person was a human wearing that combo what class would you guess they are? A warrior, ranger, bard, rogue, sk, pally? Who knows. So identifying a person by armor is a little hard to do. I remember a lot of people complaining back in the day about not being able to dye their armor too. And all you people that are against appearance armor, was there ever a time when you did use appearance armor? Just asking in all fairness...

• 668 posts
    November 16, 2015 4:57 PM PST

I love appearance armor, however, I think it should be toned down on how you get it.  I think it should be customed from specialized trade skills (players) being able to preview it or have special gear drops (no drop) out in the world that allow you to use cosmetically when you want.  This no drop gear would be class specific and be consistent with other armors that class uses.  But again, there are so many possibilities to handle this.  I am anxious to see what the Devs come up with.

And as most of you know, I choose not to see it come from purchases outside the game!

Pyye

• 2130 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:19 PM PST

I liked Guild Wars 2 the best for cosmetic equipment out of any game I've ever played.

Once you loot an item, you can unlock the item skin permanently for your character and swap it out at will, regardless of if you have the actual item on your person at the time. Tying such a system to an in-game plat/gold sink would be a viable way to remove money from the game economy, which can mitigate inflation.

Such a system also provides a much higher level of organization of your cosmetic items.

• 668 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:29 PM PST

Liav I forgot about that system, I did like it a lot!

• 2130 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:32 PM PST

Pyye said:

Liav I forgot about that system, I did like it a lot!

Only thing I'd change about it is the fact that it displays every skin in the game "locked" until you loot the item. Would much rather have it be blank and fill in as you find the skins, so it doesn't ruin the hype of discovering how cool endgame gear will look the moment you start your character. Kind of like the map "fog of war" thing a lot of games do, except for appearance items.

This post was edited by Liav at November 16, 2015 5:32 PM PST
    • 52 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:41 PM PST

Liav said:

I liked Guild Wars 2 the best for cosmetic equipment out of any game I've ever played.

Once you loot an item, you can unlock the item skin permanently for your character and swap it out at will, regardless of if you have the actual item on your person at the time. Tying such a system to an in-game plat/gold sink would be a viable way to remove money from the game economy, which can mitigate inflation.

Such a system also provides a much higher level of organization of your cosmetic items.

This is by far my favorite system. It encourages players to run lots of content and rewards them for it. It also opens up a niche for crafters and adventurers to make some money off of these collectors.

• 232 posts
    November 19, 2015 7:01 AM PST

Sylee said:

Kilsin said:

My personal preference is that you wear what you want but unless you dress appropriately, you will suffer consequences.

Yes.  This.

Yes.  This.

• 77 posts
    November 19, 2015 11:24 AM PST

No appearance changes please.

I would like it to be where you know how hard I worked for this, or even better:  It peaks your interest to /tell me and ask me how.  That for me was one of the best things ot going to new zones/areas and meeting new people.  The sharing of information.

As another topic on here described it though, unfortunately I will likely get it from a fan site, months before though.

• 149 posts
    November 19, 2015 12:31 PM PST

I am kinda torn honestly. I like the whole "Wow! Where did you get that weapon?!" type of deal but I also sometimes hated when my BiS (Best in Slot) gear was something ugly as sin so I am all for cosmetic slots to change your appearance when your BiS gear is ugly!

• 154 posts
    November 20, 2015 1:10 AM PST

Gear appropriate to what youre wearing! But the Color Dye option is very cool.

• 1095 posts
    February 6, 2016 11:46 AM PST

Although I am for appearance items, I think the below would suffice.

I posted this down in the Crafting section but it applies here as well.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/game_features

Under Game Features we find this, 

• Quickly equip situational gear as you move from one climate to the next.

If you are able to change out gear quickly, then there could be an additional gear rotation that has appearence slots for strolling about, then quickly put on combat gear, crafting gear etc.

This post was edited by Aich at February 6, 2016 11:52 AM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:31 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Appearance gear and weapons - Do you like being able to change your characters appearance in-game or would you rather all players be known for their accomplishments by allowing everyone to see their earned armour and weapons, even if a few others have it too?

http://on.fb.me/1FXb6sp

I think it's really important that when you look at another player you see a representation of the gear they've earned and their accomplishments.  First, hey, it's fun as the higher level guy to show off.  Secondly, and more importantly, it inspires lower level players to acheive.  

As for 'appearance gear' or what I call cosmetic items (items that change your appearance but don't really do anything for your character) I think there can be a place for them.  Many players like to role-play and dress up, etc.  So we are consdiering a cosmetic layer, where you could wear cosmetic gear and that would show up instead of your real gear if you wanted.

Where I would probably draw a line would be the whole dying or somehow altering the in-game appearance of an earned item.  The Crimson Breastplate of the Sphynx should look awesome, and it should be red.  And you should, after playing the game for a while, recognize rare and powerful items being worn by players who've worked hard to obtain them.  

• 1095 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:40 PM PST

Aradune said:

I think it's really important that when you look at another player you see a representation of the gear they've earned and their accomplishments.  First, hey, it's fun as the higher level guy to show off.  Secondly, and more importantly, it inspires lower level players to acheive.  

As for 'appearance gear' or what I call cosmetic items (items that change your appearance but don't really do anything for your character) I think there can be a place for them.  Many players like to role-play and dress up, etc.  So we are consdiering a cosmetic layer, where you could wear cosmetic gear and that would show up instead of your real gear if you wanted.

Where I would probably draw a line would be the whole dying or somehow altering the in-game appearance of an earned item.  The Crimson Breastplate of the Sphynx should look awesome, and it should be red.  And you should, after playing the game for a while, recognize rare and powerful items being worn by players who've worked hard to obtain them.  

Totally agree.

• 109 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:49 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Appearance gear and weapons - Do you like being able to change your characters appearance in-game or would you rather all players be known for their accomplishments by allowing everyone to see their earned armour and weapons, even if a few others have it too?

no no no no no. I despise appearance slots. Wear what you earn, take it off to put on fancy pants. 

2c

Garmr

• 1778 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:58 PM PST

Sounds good Brad!

• 9115 posts
    February 6, 2016 6:02 PM PST

Aradune said:

Kilsin said:

Yeah, nice man, I share the same opinion although I would make appearance gear replace armour to remove the stats, like Diplo gear did in VG :)

Then you could walk into town, remove your armour and replace it with comfy civil clothes and not still have stats through the roof!

• 208 posts
    February 6, 2016 7:04 PM PST

Mentioned this in another thread, but some of my greatest memories were chilling with people at an Omni HQ nightclub wearing my pimp ass smoking jacket in Anarchy Online. lol Good old emergent social interaction. Although seeing an Atrox in a bikini would make you go blind :p Obviously there shouldn't be bikinis and smoking jackets in Pantheon, but the concept remains the same.

• 610 posts
    February 7, 2016 8:19 AM PST

Aradune said:

Kilsin said:

I love appearance gear...only thing I would like to see is it restricted to towns / safe areas. I dont want to be in a dungeon and see the warrior wearing a tux and top hat. In the cities is where I would expect to see characters out of armor, in fact most cities should frown upon citizens walking around with swords and armor adorned unless youre part of the guard

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 7, 2016 10:46 AM PST

Sevens said:

Aradune said:

Kilsin said:

I love appearance gear...only thing I would like to see is it restricted to towns / safe areas. I dont want to be in a dungeon and see the warrior wearing a tux and top hat. In the cities is where I would expect to see characters out of armor, in fact most cities should frown upon citizens walking around with swords and armor adorned unless youre part of the guard

Yes, it may make sense to limit where your cosmetic gear can actually change your appearance.  I don't generally like hard limitations though.   We'll mess around with this and many things in beta.

• 194 posts
    February 7, 2016 7:30 PM PST

Like some of the others here, I also think that cosmetic gear should be actively switched in and out.  In Everquest I eventually switched to Hero's Forge armor and ornamented weapons, but it always bothered me that you could no longer tell what kind of equipment people were using anymore.

• 1714 posts
    February 7, 2016 7:46 PM PST

Items should have status. You should be able to look at someone and know their story. "skinning" is for Diablo 3. 

• 383 posts
    February 7, 2016 10:06 PM PST

As stated in older threads, I'm against appearance related gear. Either you earn the piece you want or you don't. I'm especially against any kind of crap like sun glasses, bunny ears, halos, bunny back packs or anything else that is immersion breaking for the lore.

• 7 posts
    February 8, 2016 5:24 AM PST

Niien said:

As stated in older threads, I'm against appearance related gear. Either you earn the piece you want or you don't. I'm especially against any kind of crap like sun glasses, bunny ears, halos, bunny back packs or anything else that is immersion breaking for the lore.

Well stated. My thoughts exactly.

It goes along with what Krix was saying above. I like knowing how well geared someone is just at a passing glance. Or having a shiny piece of equipment that I don't recognize catch my eye as I'm running past. It promotes conversation and additional social interaction.

• 157 posts
    February 8, 2016 12:07 PM PST

Wear what you get.  See what you’ve got.  And keep it non-cartoonish, please.  Nine-foot-tall red swords of power +1 are still etched in my retinas. 

I hope to god this game doesn’t become Loot-Quest 9000.  I’m hoping we can wear the same gear for a few levels (perhaps even identify with our appearance for a little while before upgrading)… perhaps even improve our existing gear as we level up.  I hate these new games where gear gets swapped out almost every night.