Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How much time can you spare for gaming?

• 9 posts
    January 2, 2017 12:43 PM PST

Probably 2-3 hours every other night or so. 3-4 hour session on the weekend after wife and kids have gone to bed. As many others have said, a shift in commitments from the days I first played EverQuest in '99, real life obligations, demanding job that requires a commute out of state, and a young family. That said, I've been pretty successful at organizing around the things that require my time and have been able to embrace gaming again at regular intervals, just not quite as frequently as I wish. 

• 59 posts
    January 2, 2017 4:21 PM PST

Well atm i work full time and studdy full time so i game 1-2h a day even less but mostly because i dont have anything to play so i watch tv shows or read forums instead ;) but when pantheon comes out im sure i will take time off at release to get to max level unless its something crazy like 15h of grinding for 6months to get to max level :P 

But if its more like vanilla WoW speed or something i would take a week or 2 off to level and have fun and go all out because to me there is nothing better then a fresh MMO release and going all in!

But after that most likely 4-5h but sleep less then the recommended amount ;)

I dont know i love MMOs and havent had one that laster for more then 1 month for me in years so im hoping this game will and im pretty sure that it will.. hence why im VIP.. I know i will be in a top guild and get to know people and play an awesome game and i cant wait to get into the alpha to test the game and at the end get to play at release and go ham with my buds and guildies!

• 189 posts
    January 2, 2017 4:54 PM PST
    I get a few hours after the kids go to bed at night to play, Ill stay up late on weekends and squeeze in a few more hours. But really im only doing that a few hours a week really, P99 only keeps me engaged a few hours a week, I probably spend more time sifting through these forums than I do gaming right now..

But... I'm slowly putting together a new gaming rig and shifting into gear for some serious Pantheon game time.
    • 294 posts
    January 2, 2017 5:54 PM PST

It truly depends on the game.

Right now I play at least an hour every day, but spend 3 or 4 hours some days.

If I truly enjoy a game I might spend 5 or 6 hours a day playing but that really kills my writing time so I have to be careful not to overdo it.

• 52 posts
    January 2, 2017 6:32 PM PST

I have plenty of time for gaming. At least 6 hours a day on the weekday and all day and night on the weekends.

What i don't have time for are wake up calls/texts in the middle of the night to get on for a world spawn. I won't be doing that ever again.

This post was edited by Aldie at January 2, 2017 6:38 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    January 2, 2017 6:39 PM PST

Aldie said:

I have plenty of time for gaming. At least 6 hours a day on the weekday and all day and night on the weekends.

What i don't have time for are wake up calls/texts in the middle of the night to get on for a world spawn. I won't be doing that ever again.

Amen.

• 178 posts
    January 2, 2017 9:09 PM PST

Hoping upon release to be able to get together with old gaming buddies (we were as much as 8 but figure on possibly 3 or 4) and see if we can do our once weekly gaming session - used to be Friday nights then moved to early Saturday mornings as life happens. Try for one 2 - 3 hour gaming session per week probably 2 - 3 times per month. In between hopefully one or two opportunities for a couple hours here or there with whomever happens to be where I happen to be. So figure on around 20 hours per month. I'll gladly pay the subscription price to be able to get back to the MMO days of old albeit at a much slower pace. I have no qualms about paying the same price as those that will be playing a lot more than me.

Hopefully Pantheon is able to be the game that allows for the casual player to play alongside the more playing time players. Same as the old days of EQ were able to do.

• 59 posts
    January 3, 2017 8:59 AM PST

Marilee said:

I'll bring the time, you bring the game I can spend it in! :)  I look forward to my first marathon play session in Pantheon.

yeah me to.. release day and going ham will be amazing! nothing better then a MMO release and this is an mmo i think will actually be good :P

• 644 posts
    January 3, 2017 9:34 AM PST

When playing EQ hardcore, I usually played an hour before dinner, then 4 hours at night, so 5 hours a day average and on weekends I would average 6-8 hour days.  Then my buddies at work and I would play for an hour at lunch every day.  So I easily played 35-40 hours per week.  I lived on 3-4 hours sleep for five years.

I don't think I could put in that much time again, but I hope to be deeply immerssed and compelled to play 2 hours a night with a couple longer nights sprinkled in, so instead of 40 hours a week, maybe 20?

• 578 posts
    January 3, 2017 11:58 AM PST

Though I'm not playing much of anything lately I have all the time in the world to play. I don't have much going on in my life atm. Single with primary care of my son. Work less than 40 hours a week and other than my son going to TKD twice a week I can usually be found at home. So, that is a lot of time able to be spent in game. Now it's just a matter of how much the game sucks me in.

It will actually be weird playing an MMO steadily this time around. When I played EQ, EQ2, VG, WoW, and Rift steadily I always had a girlfriend and my son was younger. So I had to work about 40 hours a week (which also was a morning job compared to my 2nd shift job now), spend time with my family, I was usually the cook, and usually had more things to do like errands and going out to places here and there. So I had more of a scheduled play time which was usually a little later at night like 8pm. So I tended to play from 8 or 9 to like midnight or 1 or 2 depending on what kind of night it was. But now I have NONE of that lol other than my son. But his PC is right behind my couch so he games and watches youtube for most of the day. So now, whenever I'm not at work I can pretty much play the game with little real life distractions/interuptions. I kind of liked the scheduled play especially for raiding because I like having a structured organized life and now it's like we might eat dinner at 6pm one night and might have dinner at 9pm the next.

• 144 posts
    January 4, 2017 8:48 AM PST

I'm one of the lucky ones that will be able to spend tons of time in-game

• 422 posts
    January 4, 2017 10:08 AM PST

Kilsin said:

How many hours a week do you dedicate to gaming currently and will that change when Pantheon is released? or have you moved past the good old days of receiving a phone call or text message at midnight for a rare spawn? :)

http://on.fb.me/1OQiuLA

Probably around 30. I have no other real hobbys. Yes it will change because I will probably take a week off for release to just enjoy the hell out of the game. I don't do the bat phone thing. I just play all the time. I cannot wait for this game to drop. EQ can no longer keep me entertained and more modern MMOs are terribly dull.

• 37 posts
    January 4, 2017 6:23 PM PST

Currently i spend about 20-30 hours a week gamming soft core. During the EQ days i spent upwards of 60+ hours a week. I have 4-6 hours a night  16+ hours on weekends depending on how well i like the Direlord class and if i can find some decent people who dont get me killed every other pull.

• 172 posts
    January 5, 2017 11:56 AM PST

With a wife, kids, house, acreage, and a job that keeps me away 12 hours a day, I am bit busy.  However, I should be able to put in 1-2 hours a few nights a week and probably one big session (5-7 hours) on the weekend.  This is approximately how much I game now.  I look forward to seeing you all in game!

• 13 posts
    January 5, 2017 4:13 PM PST
    Ufff, I am a wondering and also jealous of you.
    If I'm lucky I should be able to put 1-2 hours every second day. Kid, wife, work, hobbys, Friends and some other obligations. Biggest timekiller is unfortunately work..
    • 57 posts
    April 6, 2017 5:42 PM PDT

When I played EverQuest, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and was in construction (Electrician). I averaged about 8 hours a day weekdays and 16 hours a day on the weekend (72+ hours a week) and raided 7 days a week for about 5 hours each day. When I moved to Hudson Falls, New York and worked for a medical warehouse I had switched to playing EverQuest ][. I continued to average about 72+ hours a week, but I didn't raid as much because I was guildless (I was however brought on raids because of my reputation when a person didn't show up from their own guild). When I went to World of Warcraft, I still averaged about 72+ hours a week and raided several nights a week but raiding required you have all these stupid add-ons that made raiding simple (Personally I think a whole generation of raiders where destroyed by add-ons). My final game Star Wars: The Old Republic I averaged about 112+ hours a week in game (I got sick and was taken out of work for 2 1/2 years). I was always in demand to raid because of my reputation, and more then once this one particular raid leader would wipe the raid just to try and kill me, failed everytime.

When Pantheon comes out, I expect to put in about 72+ hours a week still, just my schedule isn't set because it changes from week to week (blame Walmart). So raiding might not be a option for me if its on set nights because of my changing schedule from week to week. I will however put as much time as I can to master my class, learn other classes (Sorry I don't play DPS classes) and craft. For example, my last game I had 22 max level adventure and crafting classes and had the most achievements on my sever 2 times over.

• 154 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:10 PM PDT

If I'm lucky 3 nights during the week and possibly, if I'm very lucky indeed, a good part of a Saturday or Sunday. Unfortunately that weird RL Place has demands on my time. I've a Business to run, employees to look after, and the cogs of this economy ( without which, may I add, the money to play MMO's would not exisit ) to help keep greased and running, from the combined efforts of others with such responcibilities. This is a concern, in as far as that my limited time may prove to be too much a hindrance to progressing in Pantheon. 

I've high hopes for Pantheon. It would be nice if Pantheon is ultimately able to strike a balence between being challenging and player friendliness. I most likely will not be able to experience EQ Style Raiding here. I've read nothing from surfing current and past threads indicating a Community Type Questing System will be implemented, still I'm glad to be able to be part of the Pantheon Community. I just don't know how much content I'll be able to experience, and I'd love to enjoy/explore everything Pantheon has to offer. Who wouldn't : )

• 3237 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:00 PM PDT

I expect to go all out for game/expansion releases and a good deal after.  A fresh MMO launch is one of my favorite pastimes and I'll definitely be looking to maximize the experience for Pantheon.  As long as the game is both fun and challenging, I'll be spending a great deal of my free time immersed in the world of Terminus.  I am willing to give up poker, fantasy football, and all other gaming for a great MMO.  I am very fortunate to own a mostly self-sustained business so I will have more free time than most.  I do have a young family though and we love to travel and spend time with our extended family as much as possible.  I plan on enjoying this final run of being able to live off of very little sleep in my 30's before kicking back and transitioning into a super oldschool gamer in my 40's.  I hope Pantheon is the kind of game that can stick around for 20 years because I can still see myself as a semi-hardcore gamer in my 50's.

• 14 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:48 PM PDT

I'll be turning 40 this summer and have put about 40ish hours a week into gaming for... god... decades now.  Currently I put about 40ish hours a week into Rift.  I know, I know.  How can one spend that much time in a game with so little new content? I'm skilled at keeping myself busy. :)  When Pantheon comes out all of that time will be put right into Pantheon.  And I Cant Wait!!!  I've been talking it up so My Girlfriend and a bunch of Guildies will be joining me at launch.   

Phone call at midnight for a rare spawn?  LOL. Ill probably be the one on that finds it. I tend to play at night until about 1230ish  Been going on 5-6hours of sleep during the work week for about 15 years now.  DOnt see any reason for that to change.  Especially with an MMO Im looking forward to so much.  I tend to get most of my sleep on Sat and Sun mornings. 

• 84 posts
    April 6, 2017 11:03 PM PDT

Workdays, about 4-5 hours, days off, anywhere from 12-20, depending on how much caffiene I decide to stock up on.

• 24 posts
    April 7, 2017 12:16 AM PDT

Ever since i started playing in 1999 i am spending way too much time on playing. At least thats what others are telling me. But i know that "others" dont have a clue about gaming so i just keep doing what i love the most.

I do not work anymore and am living alone with my dogs (3 of those furry barkers) and have plenty of time. So i play like 10 hours a day. Not in one go, but a few hours in the morning and then late afternoon again until i had enough. That might be around 8 pm but also be around 1 am next morning. I remember in the good old days of EQ that we were camping AC in OOT. trying to get the drop for our guildies and other people that joined our group. I played for over 48 hours, with only a few power naps in between. We had so much fun and made so many people happy. Good old times!!

Can't wait to put my gaming hours into Pantheon.

• 839 posts
    April 7, 2017 12:36 AM PDT

Holy schamoly... there are some people with time up their sleeves! A bit jealous haha...  power to them!

A few of hours a night over a few days of the week, pull some late ones on Friday and Saturday, hit it hard on days off work.. but way too many work and family commitments to exceed that without some planning.

Will definitely push the boundaries after release and crank up some more hours.. but life must go on!

This post was edited by Hokanu at April 7, 2017 12:38 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    April 7, 2017 12:45 AM PDT

I can spend way too much time playing a game but for me the most important thing is playing with other people as I find talking with other people is what keeps me interested in games. Since there are quite a lot of members in my guild (always looking for more!) I'm sure I'll have lots of people to play with so I can quite easily see myself playing for 6+ hours a day for the first week and then after that drop it down to about 4+ hours a day.

I still need to do my programming work so won't be able to play for the full 12 hours or so a day but I'll try and play as much as possible :).

• 72 posts
    April 7, 2017 5:35 AM PDT

As a younger me, I was able to play 60 hours a week in EQ. Now, not so much. Kids, girlfriend who hates the computer to deal with, and work. Like a lot of others, I plan on taking a weeks vacation to play upon release then play every chance that I can get. 

• 57 posts
    April 7, 2017 6:39 AM PDT

shasta said:

I plan on taking a weeks vacation to play upon release then play every chance that I can get. 

If I took my accured time off that I have from my job to play, my wife would kill me (think shes trying already). She would be like you can take time off to play a game but not time off to spend with me? Regardless, one of the reason I pledged to the game was my wife knows I have sacrificed everything I use to do and wanted me to have some enjoyment in life other then sitting around the house on my days off doing nothing (other then household chores). I love what I have seen done so far with Pantheon and hope the Visionary Realms team puts out a quality game that many people come to enjoy.