Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How much time can you spare for gaming?

• 453 posts
    August 3, 2015 10:33 PM PDT

I *want* to play 12 hours per day and everyday. Being married and working sometimes close to 80 hours per week it will likely end up being 90 minutes per day during the week and up to 3 on the weekend. Guess I will level slowly but still have fun ;)

• 81 posts
    August 17, 2015 10:39 AM PDT

Right now I have one to two nights a week for raiding more so just one night a week due to summer and well just general lack of desire to play the current game anymore. I play off and on during the day time hours and evening hours. However my wife has promised me that one day she would play an mmo with me. I was going to use that card for star wars the old republic but did not cash it in which i was glad. Perhaps this will be the game I cash it in on. I am the type of person who would rather play a game then watch TV shows .... except for my Seahawks that's my only exception. So usually I will give at least a couple hours daily in the evenings. 

• 595 posts
    August 17, 2015 10:53 AM PDT
    Raroic said:

I am the type of person who would rather play a game then watch TV shows .... except for my Seahawks that's my only exception. 

First, let me start by saying GO HAWKS!

However my wife has promised me that one day she would play an mmo with me. I was going to use that card for star wars the old republic but did not cash it in which i was glad. Perhaps this will be the game I cash it in on.

Outside of Vanguard, I spent more time following the production and agonizing for the release of no game more than Star Wars: The Old Republic (Pantheon is quickly taking the number one spot ;)  Boy, was I disappointed.  I did meet my fiance playing swtor though, so I can't claim it was all bad :D

Back on topic - I hope to be able to play 20+ hours a week.  It could be more on weeks where my weekends are free.

• 120 posts
    August 17, 2015 11:02 AM PDT
    Apparently my wife has decided that instead of 3 or 4 hours a day, we need to play as many as it takes to get max level so we can go back to raiding.....

Not really what I had in mind, but keeping the wife happy is a good thing, I think.......
    • 595 posts
    August 17, 2015 11:17 AM PDT
    Castwell said:
    Apparently my wife has decided that instead of 3 or 4 hours a day, we need to play as many as it takes to get max level so we can go back to raiding..... Not really what I had in mind, but keeping the wife happy is a good thing, I think.......

HAHA!  Classic...  Sounds like you've got it pretty rough ;D

• 430 posts
    August 17, 2015 11:29 AM PDT

I can probably spare 25/8 if needed :=)

• 578 posts
    August 17, 2015 12:15 PM PDT

I have PLENTY of time to play, I could spend like 8-10 hours most days if I wanted to, I just need a game that will keep me playing for longer than an hour. Lately I struggle with just turning a game on. I used to LOVE MMOs and unless it was Gears, Halo, Ghost Recon, etc. you'd find me in EQ1, EQ2, VG, WoW, or Rift religiously since EQ1 was released.

• 81 posts
    August 17, 2015 12:57 PM PDT
    Castwell said:
    Apparently my wife has decided that instead of 3 or 4 hours a day, we need to play as many as it takes to get max level so we can go back to raiding..... Not really what I had in mind, but keeping the wife happy is a good thing, I think.......

Thats a real bummer of a situation you have there :P

• 1618 posts
    December 26, 2016 6:09 PM PST

I currently have a lot of free time, because I am between games ATM. However, normally I spend about 4-5 hours a night playing MMOs and most of the weekends.

I have a full time job, a wife, and 5 kids. But, I manage to find the time. MMOs are my main entertainment. Same for my family. For casual play, my family can sport a full group. It's something I use to bond with my family and spend time together.

• 2130 posts
    December 26, 2016 6:17 PM PST

All day, erry day.

• 106 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:05 AM PST

Hey folks. Happy holidays to everyone. Currently would say 4-6 hours a day. If weather permit, line does not go down, cpu does not overheat, pc does not crash, no wwwIII, alien invasion, earthquakes etc, etc etc 5-8 hours or so aday.

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 6:59 AM PST

My time to play is pretty sporadic. While I might have a day where I can play 5 hours, there might be days at a time that I cant play at all. Generally though I can find at least 1 hour. 

But even the time I have sometimes takes a different form than others might be used to. I can play for 30 minutes, then need to step away for 15 minutes. I might be able to play for 2 hours straight, and then have to drop for an hour before coming back for another 2 hours straight. 

I fully recognize how this will make the group-centric nature of Pantheon a challenge. I embrace that. 

• 109 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:04 AM PST

I will likely be playing 3-5 hours a night after work during weekdays. On weekends, it will vary a lot. Could be a bunch, could be a little. All depends on what guild activities will be, how much i need to get done, whether I am bored, whether I am drinking, etc

• 2138 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:55 AM PST

Often I need to forsee the time I want to spend in game relative to day-to-day.

i.e. after folding the laundry? or during the time the laundry is being done? If I shop for groceries early in the AM, then I will be able to make the movie that evening, so I may have 4 hours in the middle with an hour on each side- or do I put in 3 hours now and then go shopping, come back, eat lunch, check out some TV or pay bills, maybe log in again for an hour, then go to the movie. I come home from work, do I need to zone out for a bit and not have time to log in before I go to bed? This is just an example.

Usually, I will try to get in maybe 3-4 days a week for 1-2 hours. then maybe a long time one day on the weekend, maybe 6-7 hours (I am single- heh) and maybe 4 hours on the second day on the weekend.

This makes learning the game and planning ahead to what i want to accomplish in game beneficial to me. For instance its better if I know I am going to craft all day, or if I had enough crafting, to exp or be open to groups to help them, or likewise be the insigator of groups for my benefit or quest. The randomness of success depends on whose in game and willing- to take me on, or to help me out which, sometimes, may involve a death...or two.

If I cant get either I would just run around, look at things, half pay attention-essentially have the game running in the background while waiting, or focus on general chat if there is one or class chat, seek items to purchace or trade, or see if there is a mission or solo quest that i find interestong to start. the problem is, once I start somehting I tend to want to finish it and am reluctant to drop it. 

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:59 AM PST

Manouk said:

This makes learning the game and planning ahead to what i want to accomplish in game beneficial to me. 

BINGO! This is a huge factor for me that I really must have to completely engage in a game. If I can log in and mindlessly follow the quest breadcrumbs trail with whatever time I have, there's no reason to even consider the game when I'm not actually playing, and no reason to think while I am. I love and miss the idea of planning out my time and making the best of it. 

• 10 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:01 AM PST
    Due to a spine disorder im only able to sit 1 hour straight so it will be about 7 hours a week
    • 1434 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:06 AM PST

Sefax said: Due to a spine disorder im only able to sit 1 hour straight so it will be about 7 hours a week

Sorry to hear that. Are you unable to play laying down? I think I'd have to rig up a system where that was possible. After a back injury, a friend of mine mounted a monitor over his bed and set up his peripherals so he could play on his back.

• 318 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:07 AM PST

Sefax said: Due to a spine disorder im only able to sit 1 hour straight so it will be about 7 hours a week

What if you got a standing desk? Like one of these: https://d36us2xspih4bl.cloudfront.net/static/images/home/BG1-white.jpg

• 61 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:08 AM PST

My wife and I are mid-40s dual-income-no-kids so we can make the time when we have something we want to do.  

• 556 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:12 AM PST

I usually have around 5-6 hours a night during the week. On weekends, that goes up considerably to around 12 hours or so a day unless I have something to do. But on release lol, that number will be more like 140 hours the first week. I mean hey we gotta power nap sometimes.

Edit - Oh and totally done with the bat phone. If Pantheon requires the use of a bat phone to slay dragons I'd be highly upset

This post was edited by Enitzu at December 27, 2016 8:16 AM PST
    • 318 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:29 AM PST

Enitzu said:

I usually have around 5-6 hours a night during the week. On weekends, that goes up considerably to around 12 hours or so a day unless I have something to do. But on release lol, that number will be more like 140 hours the first week. I mean hey we gotta power nap sometimes.

Edit - Oh and totally done with the bat phone. If Pantheon requires the use of a bat phone to slay dragons I'd be highly upset

How do you suggest they eliminate the need for a bat phone in a non-instanced world though? Have short boss respawns, but upon success characters are locked out from repeating the encounter for like a week?

• 10 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:32 AM PST
    @Wellspring:
    Does not matter because standing is as dangerous as sitting but maybe i can get a surgery before release to fixiate my last two spine bones
    • 120 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:36 AM PST

It really depends. Although once this game launches people will find me online probably more than your average player. My actual activity coorelates with what there is to do. To maybe better explain this, when the game launches I will probably live and breath Pantheon. As I complete everything I will still be around 24/7, and probably in some voip program 24/7, but I won't be hesitant to make RL plans if someone wants to do something etc... However, I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of this Mentor system thing due to my availability and be able to help with that somehow.

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:44 AM PST

Wellspring said:

Enitzu said:

How do you suggest they eliminate the need for a bat phone in a non-instanced world though? Have short boss respawns, but upon success characters are locked out from repeating the encounter for like a week?

This is going a bit off-topic, but there are ways. Spawned encounters. Dispersed and copious content rather than just that boss that has that piece of gear you must have to be able to kill that boss with that gear that. Spawns and rewards managed in a way that makes it impossible or valueless to farm a mob constantly to corner the market or prevent others from progressing. 

I'm with Enitzu. I'm not getting called in the middle of the night for a computer game without responding with hostility. 

• 323 posts
    December 27, 2016 9:22 AM PST
    If I'm being honest, the answer to the OP is: far more often and far longer than I'll admit to myself, my coworkers or my family. If there were an option to disable /played tracking I would toggle it. =)

Regarding the side-topic that's emerged in the thread, hopefully no batphone required to do raid encounters. I'd be okay with most solutions to avoid that, including instanced raids w/ weaker/smaller loot tables than open-world equivalents.