Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How much time can you spare for gaming?

• 556 posts
    December 27, 2016 11:24 AM PST

Feyshtey said:

Wellspring said:

Enitzu said:

I usually have around 5-6 hours a night during the week. On weekends, that goes up considerably to around 12 hours or so a day unless I have something to do. But on release lol, that number will be more like 140 hours the first week. I mean hey we gotta power nap sometimes.

Edit - Oh and totally done with the bat phone. If Pantheon requires the use of a bat phone to slay dragons I'd be highly upset

How do you suggest they eliminate the need for a bat phone in a non-instanced world though? Have short boss respawns, but upon success characters are locked out from repeating the encounter for like a week?

This is going a bit off-topic, but there are ways. Spawned encounters. Dispersed and copious content rather than just that boss that has that piece of gear you must have to be able to kill that boss with that gear that. Spawns and rewards managed in a way that makes it impossible or valueless to farm a mob constantly to corner the market or prevent others from progressing. 

I'm with Enitzu. I'm not getting called in the middle of the night for a computer game without responding with hostility. 

While off topic, I'll answer the question. 

As Fey said there are ways to do it without lock outs but for me personally, I am totally good with lock outs rather than respawn timers. Those lock outs don't have to mean that they can't kill the same boss they just would not be eligible for any loot. And yea that still leaves in the many ways to be that A$$hat guild that blocks others or eventually runs 3+ raids using alts to gear farm but it also eliminates the "need" to race to bosses the second they spawn and rather allows people to plan ahead for what they are going to do. Let the bosses respawn in 30 minutes. Lock out of 3 days or so. 7 on the ones that they want to be more rare. Or go to the spawned method which there are countless ways to do. 

• 138 posts
    December 27, 2016 11:43 AM PST

Right now, 0 hours a week .... there are no games out right now that I want to play or spend my time on.... but.. I will sheepishly admit my completely compulsive personality and say that I predict with Pantheon I will go from 0-50 pretty fast.... (would I get up in the middle of the night?? HELL YES!! With fun people who like to laugh...I am always IN :>)

• 120 posts
    December 27, 2016 2:47 PM PST

While this is a topic on the first page I guess I will pose this question here I didn't include in my initial post in this thread. Does anyone know if there is going to be an afk kicker in this game? I understand fully why games implement them, but I also love being able to afk in flashy new gears, or with guild mates showing up. I haven't really delved into searching this question because it is somewhat irrelevant to many players and just popped into my head.

• 34 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:20 PM PST

Probably 5-6 hours most days; more for days I'm not at work. Now will I play that much day after day? Very unlikely, it would probably be 2-3 days a week like that or 1-2 hours every day kind of thing. I do know how to keep some balance in life lol. But I can usually set aside multi-hour chunks of time when needed.

• 1618 posts
    December 27, 2016 4:13 PM PST

I will play a lot, raid and group whenever I can. I will log in on scheduled nights and do everything I can. But, when I am not logged in, I am not logged in. I will generally log in if one of my family needs help, but I will not join a guild that requires me to be available at all times For spawns.

• 118 posts
    December 27, 2016 4:28 PM PST

Single, no kids I work from home..so 6-12 hours a day depending on what work I need to do that morning. 

Can't wait for Pantheon... I recently left my GF, got dogs, got a house in the woods and right now I'm on a gaming fast... cleansing my system before I let this game take over my body.   EQ caught me by surprise  but with Pantheon i am just going to let it happen.  no game shame!!  Im 32, been literally been waiting for this game since EQ started to feel dated, i knew eventually something would come along... been patiently waiting and getting all those other "life experiences" out of the way in my 20s. ( what a chore I'll tell you)  I've been drooling since the kickstarter and now its so close I can taste it. Don't plan on doing anything other than eat/sleep/work/pantheon for the next oh i dunno... "few" years so yea.

#lifegoals 

• 89 posts
    December 27, 2016 4:30 PM PST

Right now I only play single player games and that is not likely to change until Pantheon comes out. I spend maybe 1 to 2hrs a night tops and maybe an hour or so more each day on the weekend. My play hours will go up when Pantheon releases i have no doubt.

• 188 posts
    December 27, 2016 4:31 PM PST

Well, according to the "Time Wated on Destiny" website, I've played a little over 11 weeks on that game in the last 2.5 years -- so I find enough time.  I'm married with a kid, lots of real world obligations, and a daily gym routine, but being able to run on about 6 hours of sleep helps improve my gaming efficiency.  It helps that I really only play 1 game at a time.  

• 432 posts
    December 28, 2016 10:35 AM PST

Some time ago when starting to play on the EQ TLP server Ragefire, I realized that I was no more able or willing to spend more than 3 hours in front of a screen .

After 3 hours I simply need to move, destress, read and do something else . And I definitely don't like to play after midnight anymore .

So I guess I will be playing about 3 hours on Saturdays and Sundays afternoons . Perhaps 1 hour or so on working days .

Should make something like 15 - 20 hours a week .

• 2419 posts
    December 28, 2016 10:58 AM PST

Kilsin said:

How many hours a week do you dedicate to gaming currently and will that change when Pantheon is released? or have you moved past the good old days of receiving a phone call or text message at midnight for a rare spawn? :)

Right now, with no games really holding my interest, I spend very few hours gaming each week.  When Pantheon is available (even early Alpha), those few hours will be replaced by dozens upon dozens.  I have no doubts I'll be playing 50+ hours a week. 

• 668 posts
    December 28, 2016 11:41 AM PST

I am in a weird gaming spot in life right now...  Good news is I have been really successful with my current job, however, the responsability and coverage of territory means my "home during the week" time is limited.  I cover 17 states in central US, so always flying and staying away from home.  (yes I have a gaming laptop but it is often a pain carrying everything with my work computer etc...)

I am torn because I like that we can afford what we want now and not have to stress over bills, but my true hobby is immersing myself into a great game world.  It really is what I love to do..  Call it escape, whatever...

So to the question at hand, I can see myself dedicating consistent hours during the week when I am at home, 6 or 7PM until midnight (call it 5 hours evenings).  I would also play a good portion of the weekends when not involved with something.  Life has snuck up quick for me and got serious...  Not as playful as it used to be :(    I do my best to keep it playful though

• 671 posts
    December 28, 2016 12:19 PM PST

Pyye said:

I am in a weird gaming spot in life right now...  Good news is I have been really successful with my current job, however, the responsability and coverage of territory means my "home during the week" time is limited.  I cover 17 states in central US, so always flying and staying away from home.  (yes I have a gaming laptop but it is often a pain carrying everything with my work computer etc...)

I am torn because I like that we can afford what we want now and not have to stress over bills, but my true hobby is immersing myself into a great game world.  It really is what I love to do..  Call it escape, whatever...

So to the question at hand, I can see myself dedicating consistent hours during the week when I am at home, 6 or 7PM until midnight (call it 5 hours evenings).  I would also play a good portion of the weekends when not involved with something.  Life has snuck up quick for me and got serious...  Not as playful as it used to be :(    I do my best to keep it playful though

Great to hear my friend.

I think time is in your favor, by the time Pantheon comes out in 2019, you will be able to play Pantheon on a mobile device like a tablet, that will be able to handle the Unity engine. I am thinking by 2020, many of you will be able to play on their Windows Phones, given the new win64 ARM deal.

As for the topic..? You perhaps more than anyone here, knows how much time I am willing to spend for (quality) gaming..! It was a year ago this time we had a slew of Pantheon forum members form a guild within EQ's new progression server. All-in-all.. it is about what you are playing for, if the hours logged are worth it.

Coincidentally, I think we brought over 200 new member from EQ, that had never heard of Pantheon. It was great meeting/grouping with new players last year, & refreshing when a few days later you get a tell, saying they signed up or donated and thanking you for pointing Pantheon out to them.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at December 28, 2016 12:21 PM PST
    • 363 posts
    December 29, 2016 10:53 AM PST

I don't spend a ton of time gaming right now because everything out there SUCKS. I'm banking everything on Pantheon because the devs are giving group-oriented MMO gamers exactly what we want. I hope yall understand how passionate we are, even though there are fewer of us. We are a better community to work with and would do a lot more to see a game like this come to fruition, but I digress. Simply put, when Pantheon launches my life is over. xD 

Pantheon is a lifestyle. #TeamPantheon

• 62 posts
    December 29, 2016 11:12 AM PST

It will be 1-3 hours a day and 5 on saturday/sunday. I work am married and have 2 kids. Luckily my wife also games.

the golden days of 16 hours per day are over.

• 500 posts
    December 29, 2016 1:50 PM PST

20+ hours duing the week. Weekends will probably be another 20 hours or so.  It's just me and the wife at home now.  All the kids are grown and out on their own. I'm hoping that Pantheon is the game I'll be playing well in to my retirement.

This post was edited by Grymmlocke at December 29, 2016 1:52 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 29, 2016 3:03 PM PST

My wife spoils me. She lets me have 50" screens, lazyboy recliner, and wireless everything. I can play in a nice relaxed position all day long. I will be splurging on a mini fridge when alpha comes out.

• 61 posts
    December 29, 2016 3:49 PM PST

My wife stopped short of letting me build a toilet into my gaming room seat.  And she won't let me make the bathroom my gaming room, either.  

• 1618 posts
    December 29, 2016 3:51 PM PST

In exchange for virtually unlimited gaming, when not at work at least, I have to take her to her favorite Japanese Steak House every week.

Its a decent trade-off.

• 80 posts
    December 29, 2016 4:56 PM PST

Beefcake said:

In exchange for virtually unlimited gaming, when not at work at least, I have to take her to her favorite Japanese Steak House every week.

Its a decent trade-off.

I would take that deal all day long man.

• 26 posts
    December 29, 2016 5:20 PM PST

Back when I was in school and single it was wake up, go to class/work, come home and play EQ (then WoW through Burning Crusade) until I couldn't stay awake any longer. It wasn't uncommon for me to hit 60+ hours a week.

But then the whole adult thing happened and now I have a wife and a soon to be 3 year old. I work days and my wife works nights during the week so we trade our son of and each have him by ourselves every day to avoid daycare, so it's tough to play much. I can usually squeeze in 3-5 hours a day if I really try, with most of that coming after I put the kiddo to bed.

I'm currently playing on an EQ progression server for kicks, but I don't long in every day. Most days I don't really have an urge to jump on anything as soon as I get home, it often becomes a battle between a game and Netflix.

However, once Pantheon comes out...or once Alfa/Beta start...I'll be on as much as possible!

• 1618 posts
    December 30, 2016 3:47 PM PST

Might try the EQ progression server this weekend. Bonus XP weekend.

• 36 posts
    December 30, 2016 3:52 PM PST

To answer the thread.

Right now? A lot. I have a lot of free time.

A year or so down the line, I have absolutely no idea. Hopefully less if you catch my drift.

• 48 posts
    January 1, 2017 2:54 AM PST

Kilsin said:

How many hours a week do you dedicate to gaming currently and will that change when Pantheon is released? or have you moved past the good old days of receiving a phone call or text message at midnight for a rare spawn? :)

http://on.fb.me/1OQiuLA

Roughly 3 hours max on a week night; more on a weekend IF there's nothing pressing (i.e., domestic necessities, friend/family events, etc). 

Honestly, not a lot of time at all. I'm watching very closely where the needle is going to come to rest on minimum required time to maintain enjoyable progression.

Thanks for asking.

• 3016 posts
    January 1, 2017 1:26 PM PST

Kilsin said:

http://on.fb.me/1OQiuLA

Doubt I'll be happy receiving a phone call at midnight...but we'll see.    As for daytime..well 4 or 5 hours per day,  but that depends on what's going on.   If I am spending time helping guildies..that might vary. :)  Open-ended right now...and I'll decide when the time comes if that midnight call will rouse me out of bed or I'll ignore it ..lol

• 78 posts
    January 2, 2017 12:18 PM PST

The reason why I don't spend time on most current games is that they're too dull to hook me up. I realize that after playing that odd game that grabs me and look at the time and gasp. Yes, I have a full time job and responsibilities but if a game is addictive I can spend easily 40 hours a week :p

I've been hooked to Overwatch recently and I play that roughly 20-30 hours a week and I wouldn't even call it an addictive game.