Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bringing in a replacement to your group

• 370 posts
    April 30, 2019 10:30 AM PDT

TLogan said:

I see power leveling and the internet trivializing all content (quests, bosses, etc) to be a way bigger issue here than getting or being a replacement for a group so that they can continue having fun. In my opinion the problem with most of these games is having nothing left to strive for. If there's still something meaningful to obtain majority of us will continue playing. If we are just grinding for that next AA point and thats it, thats just not that meaningful. There NEEDS to be very rare gear, maybe RNG endgame gear though some are against it, regardless, it will keep us gunning for that perfect piece, even if its just 10AC, or 0.5% dodge better than that last breastplate, it matters when it comes to meaningful things to do.

I think you bring up great points and those are the exact reasons we can't just reimplement the features EQ had and expect the community to act the same way it did 20 years ago. There were no guides on how to beat bosses in EQ. If you knew how and you told someone else on your server, or even on another server, there was a chance a guild you were in direct competition with for loot would be able to beat that boss. Strategies were kept secret for this reason. With the addition of instanced raiding it didn't matter if everyone knew the strategy because another guilds progress had no impact on your progress. This also meant that more detailed and mechanic heavy fights had to be added. In Vanilla EQ just knowing where to tank the boss so as to limit AE damage was enough of a mechanic to challenge guilds. 

Pantheon raid mechanics are going to be posted as soon as they're figured out. The culture has changed and people will share this information as soon as its figured out. I think VR would be very short sighted to not take into account how current gamers consume and desiminate content when designing anything. You can't force current gamers to adhere to some old school tradition without some sort of coaxing. You're going to have to meet people half way. 

• 90 posts
    April 30, 2019 1:06 PM PDT

EppE said:

TLogan said:

I see power leveling and the internet trivializing all content (quests, bosses, etc) to be a way bigger issue here than getting or being a replacement for a group so that they can continue having fun. In my opinion the problem with most of these games is having nothing left to strive for. If there's still something meaningful to obtain majority of us will continue playing. If we are just grinding for that next AA point and thats it, thats just not that meaningful. There NEEDS to be very rare gear, maybe RNG endgame gear though some are against it, regardless, it will keep us gunning for that perfect piece, even if its just 10AC, or 0.5% dodge better than that last breastplate, it matters when it comes to meaningful things to do.

I think you bring up great points and those are the exact reasons we can't just reimplement the features EQ had and expect the community to act the same way it did 20 years ago. There were no guides on how to beat bosses in EQ. If you knew how and you told someone else on your server, or even on another server, there was a chance a guild you were in direct competition with for loot would be able to beat that boss. Strategies were kept secret for this reason. With the addition of instanced raiding it didn't matter if everyone knew the strategy because another guilds progress had no impact on your progress. This also meant that more detailed and mechanic heavy fights had to be added. In Vanilla EQ just knowing where to tank the boss so as to limit AE damage was enough of a mechanic to challenge guilds. 

Pantheon raid mechanics are going to be posted as soon as they're figured out. The culture has changed and people will share this information as soon as its figured out. I think VR would be very short sighted to not take into account how current gamers consume and desiminate content when designing anything. You can't force current gamers to adhere to some old school tradition without some sort of coaxing. You're going to have to meet people half way. 

I hate how some guilds were so selfish they left super rare drops rot because nobody in their guild wanted to use their DKP. THey would hog bosses not letting anyobody else have the chance to kill them. If a guild is going to keep bosses to themselves and keep strategies to themselves they can at least auction off or raffel off items they plan on just letting rot.  

• 1428 posts
    April 30, 2019 1:15 PM PDT

@sunglare if you were a piece of gear i'd let you rot.

in my left pocket.

for all eternity.

and you'd be well used.

well.

used.

~_^

• 370 posts
    April 30, 2019 1:20 PM PDT

Sunglare said:

I hate how some guilds were so selfish they left super rare drops rot because nobody in their guild wanted to use their DKP. THey would hog bosses not letting anyobody else have the chance to kill them. If a guild is going to keep bosses to themselves and keep strategies to themselves they can at least auction off or raffel off items they plan on just letting rot.  

I get that and it was an issue. During SoL we only had 1 Beastlord in the guild so I made an alt and sat them AFK during raids and got the no drop BST loot for my alt. My main was an enchanter and almost never took gear so no one minded. Walking around as a level 20 Troll Beast with SoL raid drops was pretty cool, but we tired not to let items rot. We'd message friends outside the guild to come loot items sometimes.

I think the biggest middle finger was Sleepers Tomb. Once the Sleeper was awoken certain items no longer dropped in the game. The top guild on our server had been in Sleeper's Tomb for about 4 months and my guild and another guild finally had enough keys to go in and kill mobs. The top guild woke the Sleeper up to loot block us more. That's something I don't ever want to see in a game. Its one thing if VR sets a time limit on an item drop through events, its another when a guild can actively prevent you from getting drops.