Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Time for a head count!

• 15 posts
    June 2, 2018 2:41 AM PDT
    Long time EQ pvper here and I intend to pvp in pantheon too. I know the toxicity of gaming has escalated out of control in the last 5 years, so I'm hoping Pantheon can figure out a way help curb it within their community. I don't really want a pvp board or point system that will encourage griefers to do what they are good at. Corpse Camping, Bind camping, training, those weirdos who would invite you to group and try porting you to Dreadlands to kill you, killing you on your corpse run from an Exp death, pocket bards, out of range healers, unresistable mez locking you down for 30min, and the worst of all, people who know they can't beat you dispelling all your buffs and running away.

TLDR: Don't incentivize player kills, people will be killing each other enough as is.
    • 151 posts
    June 2, 2018 9:21 AM PDT
    after 100 replies its interesting what percentage wrote a book, wall or explanation vs an acronym to tally
    • 15 posts
    June 2, 2018 12:21 PM PDT

I might try a RP server if the ruleset makes it different from PvE, but I def. won't be on PvP.

• 441 posts
    June 2, 2018 2:25 PM PDT
    I'm a PvPer and PvEer and I love to RP. That being said, a game like this IMO should focus on PvE and make it a jewel of a PvE game. Any PvP added should be done with the thought that PvE should be balanced first and foremost.
    • 627 posts
    June 2, 2018 3:07 PM PDT
    I hope to see world pvp, I'm 50/50 in my enjoyment of pvp and pve. As long as I'm not mezzed for 5 min straight I'm fine :)

If VR goes with the pvp servers, i rly want to play on the "good" vs "evil" servers. That seems like a lot of fun to me, and you will have natural allies and enemies.

My concern is that some zones could be controlled be a faction, here I hope it won't be to such a degree that quests, equipment, bosses won't be available at all due to the zone "camping".
    • 55 posts
    June 2, 2018 6:04 PM PDT

For me it breaks down like this fun wise, 50% PvE  25% RP and 25% PvP 

PvE - I really enjoy grouping up for a good dungeon crawl, working different group strategies to kill a boss. I enjoy learning different tactics to kill mobs with my toon, some mobs might be good to kite, others maybe to joust, or others just to headbutt till dead. Figuring out all the different mobs and their AI alone can be fun for many many hours.

RP - can make the down time between groups more fun, time in City more fun, in the past sometimes I would RP a dwarven smith and hock my services and wares, when I wanted to interact and meet new people. Other times maybe I'm in a group and not feeling chatty I can RP the grumpy old dwarf who doesn't talk much.

PvP - can be very rewarding a good example of PvP done right, DAoC - It's RvR type PvP was the best I have ever seen, so much fun, and there was a role for everyone from the Head to head PvPer to the craftsmen who repair castle doors and build battering rams. If you implemented RvR type PvP I would probably spend most of my weekend's pretty much only PvPing, and PvE during the week. If its EQ 1 type pvp.....Meh probably count me out mostly. If its Guild's going to war with one another or Factions like in Ultima Online, Choas vs Order I could see myself getting into that in the end game. With faction PvP you only fight players who want to fight and then only the other side, there can be epic PvP battles going on in Noob zones that new players might get to see high lvl Toon's using spells/ ability's that will open their imaginations and give them something to strive for, besides it would spice things up seeing max lvl toons going at it in Citys fighting over territory. I've even been apart of RP-PvP that was done so well that I didn't even know it was really a set up between my guild leader and the "enemy" guild leader just for fun, I found out later they would actually plan Raids on our base town just to spice things up for both guilds. Having an enemy can be a  lot of fun. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text.

Tal

• 2 posts
    June 2, 2018 9:19 PM PDT

PVE 90% of the time, Jumping to PVP Server Occasionally.

Would prefer servers to be pvp or pve not mixed.

• 94 posts
    June 2, 2018 9:51 PM PDT

I like to pvp in games specifically made for pvp with areas for pvp like warhammer or wow. I dont like open pvp in every zone for various reasons.

What I specificially hate about pvp is that in trying to quell the complaints of the pvpers due to unbalanced classes, the devs feel they have to either nerf some or make some op. If a game is just PvE there is no real worry about balancing classes vs each other even tho you will always have classes that are stronger as ppl learn the tricks etc that make them stronger like Necros in EQ1 soloing so many indoor zones because their pets were op. Very few games, and I cant name a single one, that had/have EVERY class perfectly balanced vs the rest.

This post was edited by sunstalkr at June 2, 2018 9:52 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    June 2, 2018 10:06 PM PDT

PvE and PvP

• 316 posts
    June 3, 2018 2:03 AM PDT

Pvp!

• 4 posts
    June 3, 2018 6:31 AM PDT

PVE Only

• 278 posts
    June 3, 2018 6:43 AM PDT

PVE 100% as I only play PvP in games made for that like WAR and so on.

• 470 posts
    June 3, 2018 9:08 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

While Pantheon is primarily a PvE game we will have separate PvP servers - so let's do a quick head count - How many PvP and RP fans do we have within our awesome community? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I'm primarily a PvE guy. I like cooperating weith friends and having some social dungeon crawls. I do RP a bit time to time and like some PvP. I tend to gravitate to RP servers as a lot of the people I play with usually go to those as well. And the RP server population has almost always been universally fun and mature.

I do like some PvP from time to time as well. So with Pantheon I'd like to see something along the lines of an arena style system like they had in EverQuest, which was a small dedicated PvP area. A nice twist to that would be if there was a register that would allow people or groups to challenge each other and be placed into that arena to fight it out while allowing others to watch without interfering. Maybe you could even make a betting mini game out of it as well as tournaments. But all in all, PvE for me primarily.

This post was edited by Kratuk at June 3, 2018 9:10 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    June 3, 2018 9:42 PM PDT

Love PvP, but without good PvE an mmo becomes a dreary place. I started mmos on an EQ PvE server, and after dabbling in the raid scene back in 1999, I became a little disenchanted by the passive aggression and PetitionQuesting. The rallos zek pvp server solved that problem, and allowed me to enjoy the game in a whole new and immersive way. It was much more conducive to roleplay (which I also enjoy) and allowed players to solve their own problems. It was actually the most cordial experience I've ever had in an MMO.

I believe a game where players really have to work together again and grouping and interaction is a cornerstone, PvP will once again enhance the narrative, promote roleplay, and allow players to solve their own problems rather than exclusively as a means to inflict teenage angst on the rest of the world.

This post was edited by Dullahan at June 3, 2018 9:44 PM PDT
    • 999 posts
    June 4, 2018 6:32 AM PDT

I play primarily on PvE servers, and am not a hardcore Roleplayer, but I typically prefer the mature communities that exist on Roleplay servers and the alternate rulesets for the servers that often exist.  I've discussed the rulesets for Firiona Vie (EQ RP server) in the past here, and most likely would play on one for Pantheon if it existed and was similar to Firiona Vie.

If I did play on a PvP server, it would be basically to break the monotony / kill time when my main server was down, etc.

This post was edited by Raidan at June 4, 2018 6:34 AM PDT
    • 11 posts
    June 6, 2018 1:22 PM PDT

I for one do not care for PVP now RP severs ALL day long. But since most games PVP has the best gear I will do some, but always felt this was unfair to casual and PVE RP players  

• 409 posts
    June 6, 2018 2:09 PM PDT

I have zero interest in PVP, at least in Pantheon. 

For RP, I would favor a real roleplaying ruleset, with rules like:

1) Chat channels like /tell, /group, /ooc, /shout, etc are all language specific to the player, and until you know the language, you see encrypted nonsense.

2) Faction matters for grouping, and to group with opposing faction players, you need to do same kind of faction work as getting faction with NPCs for quests and such.

3) You can betray your home city/factions to other factions.

4) Hunger/thirst matter, and you actually lose HP and Mana as they get worse.

etc.

• 70 posts
    June 6, 2018 7:40 PM PDT

PvP first. PR seccond. PvE third.

• 88 posts
    June 6, 2018 8:32 PM PDT

I'm definitely down for some PvP.  Our team is listed as PvP and Raid focused, so I expect to also engage in high-end PvE content.  If I need to break it down further, I'd say I'd prefer the FFA or free-for-all style of PvP as I would rather fight for content instead of a having to deal with joys of training by my own faction.    

• 8 posts
    June 6, 2018 8:40 PM PDT

As someone interested in pvp, pve, as well as playing any race with my friends and teammates, my primary interest would be in a FFA server!

• 14 posts
    June 6, 2018 9:00 PM PDT

FFA PvP for me. I do like to participate in raiding, but I am not an RP person, I save that for other occasions :)

• 9 posts
    June 6, 2018 9:01 PM PDT

PvP (FFA) forsure cannot wait for Pantheon! 

This post was edited by ProllyDrunk at June 6, 2018 9:20 PM PDT
    • 71 posts
    June 6, 2018 9:05 PM PDT

FFA PvP is the only way to fly. I do dig raiding and crafting as well....But for sure need that sweet sweet pvp.  Vanguard Saga Of Hereoes style.  Home sweet home!

• 24 posts
    June 6, 2018 9:34 PM PDT

FFA PVP all the way!

• 6 posts
    June 6, 2018 9:34 PM PDT

Free for all PVP