Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Soloing

• 399 posts
    November 9, 2017 4:51 PM PST

WarKnight said:

I hope there is a good amount of solo content, I will play a lot at work on breaks and won't have time to group all the time..

There will be "some" solo content.  I'm sure there will also be things that weren't meant to be solo'd and someone will figure out some new strategy to solo stuff and that's cool.

• 1785 posts
    November 9, 2017 4:55 PM PST

Durp said:

meh.  pl in any old game is easy.  Can PL someone in EQ to max level in less than 10 hours. "PL-ing" happens in any game.  You've been away for a week and your friends are 4 levels ahead and help you get a few levels.  Happens all the time. It's just an exponential curve. Level vs age of game.the older the game the faster levels can be gained.

This is especially true when the development teams maintaining those games purposely make the leveling process faster over time to allow new players to "catch up".

Personally, I hope that Pantheon's live team will continue to view the journey to "max level" as a journey, and not a destination, and will strive to keep the pace of leveling reasonably slow whether it's 3 months after launch or 3 years after launch.

It's just my opinion, but I would rather have a game where levels are meaningful, and not just "oh look I dinged again for the 3rd time this session".  Make them meaningful, make them things we strive for, each and every one of them - and then make absolutely sure we have compelling content and gameplay so that we have FUN while we're working on those levels.

• 70 posts
    November 11, 2017 9:47 PM PST

Grouping should be the best xp and chance for loot, but solo play should be doable for those times when you don't have much time to play.  No one wants someone to join a group knowing they only have 15-30 minutes to play, and then bail on them.

• 3237 posts
    November 11, 2017 10:26 PM PST

Nephele said:

Durp said:

meh.  pl in any old game is easy.  Can PL someone in EQ to max level in less than 10 hours. "PL-ing" happens in any game.  You've been away for a week and your friends are 4 levels ahead and help you get a few levels.  Happens all the time. It's just an exponential curve. Level vs age of game.the older the game the faster levels can be gained.

This is especially true when the development teams maintaining those games purposely make the leveling process faster over time to allow new players to "catch up".

Personally, I hope that Pantheon's live team will continue to view the journey to "max level" as a journey, and not a destination, and will strive to keep the pace of leveling reasonably slow whether it's 3 months after launch or 3 years after launch.

It's just my opinion, but I would rather have a game where levels are meaningful, and not just "oh look I dinged again for the 3rd time this session".  Make them meaningful, make them things we strive for, each and every one of them - and then make absolutely sure we have compelling content and gameplay so that we have FUN while we're working on those levels.

I agree.  I'm not really a fan of artifical catch-up mechanics ... let this sort of thing happen organically, and be community driven.  If people are rolling alts and utilizing progeny there should always be fresh players in the different leveling tiers.  As the game evolves, players will figure out their own ways to help people get caught up.

This post was edited by oneADseven at November 11, 2017 11:43 PM PST
    • 57 posts
    November 12, 2017 12:54 AM PST

For me, if I can't give a group at least 4 hours of my time which doesn't include traveling I prefer to solo. Recently while playing on Agnaar again, many times you run to a dungeon only to have the group break up on the way or within a few minutes after you get to the zone because all of a suddon the original people want to leave and they couldn't find a replacement. At least twice I tried to find a replacement and ended up staying additional hours because of that. (I worked 2nd shift and would play 3rd shift hours but at times would need to goto work the following day on 1st shift hours) At least now that I am in managment, I have a Monday - Friday schedule (no more weekends) and can get groups on 2nd shift into early 3rd shift hours. I estimate I'll be playing the game around 60 hours a week minimum between work, sleep and wife (previously around 80 in EQ, EQ2, WoW and 120 during SWTOR).

• 2130 posts
    November 12, 2017 9:45 AM PST

I agree that I'd rather not see the experience curve reduced, at least not for a very, very long time post-launch.

• 753 posts
    November 12, 2017 12:52 PM PST

In regard to catch up mechanisms - at some point I think they will need to do something because several years down the line the game will be a bit sparse on sub max players.  For me, I think something like this might work (again, YEARS down the line, not at launch):

- Similar to EQ2, you would get an EXP bonus for each avatar you have at current max level

- You gain skill bonuses at sub max levels that degrade as you level - disappearing entirely when you hit the level you need to be to group with max level avatars - such that soloing at those lower levels becomes a more efficient choice when groups just aren't there to find 7 or 8 years after launch.

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 12, 2017 12:53 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    November 12, 2017 1:19 PM PST

EVE Online introduced a mechanic where you could extract skill points (thus reducing the skill level of the skill(s) you chose) to create a skill injector that could be sold.  Thus a new character could buy the injector and instantly apply those points to whatever skills that pilot chooses.

While Pantheon doesn't have skillpoints like EVE Online, a character could choose to extract some quantity of XP and create an item which a new character could purchase and apply that amount of XP instantly. An important part of the mechanic is that the character extracting XP could lose a level, there is no free ride.

EVE does have some rules for this, a character must have a certain number of skillpoints before it can extract, must be docked at a station, etc. 

Pantheon could apply rules that does benefit new characters a bit but doesn't give them a free ride to max level.  The amount of extracted XP would be a set amount; a character extracting XP would need to be above a certain level; a character injecting XP can only do that once per 24 real hours.

• 334 posts
    November 12, 2017 3:08 PM PST

Vandraad said:
    EVE Online introduced a mechanic where you could extract skill points (thus reducing the skill level of the skill(s) you chose) to create a skill injector that could be sold.  Thus a new character could buy the injector and instantly apply those points to whatever skills that pilot chooses.

Though I would like it if you can raise the child/offspring aside shelfing the old character first and transfer 'knowledge" to the new character. And by that making the old character decrepit...
    I am not in favor of transplanting XP; definatly not across accounts
    however... if there is a rewarding system of sorts for players where the character is used in helping another player teaching that player the ropes of the class/character or the comradery that this game aspires, then I'm not against it. Difficult to work out though.
    Other then that... essence emerald. Where XP is converted into utility. In this case a rezz reagent. So if players can part with XP for stuff that does not contribute to character improvement. Change into mana? a bar of clay?