Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Group kick via voting?

• 781 posts
    October 24, 2017 10:21 AM PDT

All great answers guys :)  I myself am against group  vote kicking as well.  We have an awesome foundation of community members with answers such as the positive ones given on this topic.  #Communitymatters

• 633 posts
    October 24, 2017 10:25 AM PDT

Ok, solving this once and for all.  From now on, all group kicks anywhere on the server must first be approved by Kelenin.

• 769 posts
    October 24, 2017 10:32 AM PDT

Disclaimer: This isn't anything against you, OP - just the thought that popped into my head when I first saw this thread. 

I can't count one single time that I've ever been kicked from a group, randomly, before. I can, however, recall many times when people in my groups have been kicked. Without fail, those people deserve it, and I say that as an observer and not the group leader that did the kicking. 

This brings me to the question, what type of people feel they need a voting mechanism for this? The only answer I can think of is: the people that find themselves getting kicked from groups. For the rest of us, it's a non-issue. For those who seem to have a hard time not getting the boot, I can see how it might be upsetting. 

But that leads me to this saying: If one person calls you an arsehole, they're probably being unfair. If everyone calls you an arsehole, you might be an arsehole. 

If someone finds themselves getting kicked often from groups, then I'd venture to say that maybe the booting mechanism isn't the problem here. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at October 24, 2017 10:33 AM PDT
    • 627 posts
    October 24, 2017 11:03 AM PDT
    Tralyna when that ultra rare item drops, nice people can turn bad and greedy :)
    • 769 posts
    October 24, 2017 11:06 AM PDT

Y'know what, that's a good point. I didn't think of that option. (probably should have read every post on this thread)

• 763 posts
    October 24, 2017 11:28 AM PDT

Reputation, Reputation, Reputation.

Whether a given player
        breaks mezz for the 5th time since he was told not to ....
        or goes AFk for the 3rd time without telling anyone ....

It is for the Group Leader to Kick them...
        He has then taken responsibility for his group....
        the player in question is also forced to take responsibility for his own actions too!

In the example you gave of a Group Leader booting a player just before looting an item they both want ... this would have impact on his reputation! Who is going to group with a player who acts in this way? If this group leader is Guilded and you /tell anyone from his Guild you can be certain any Guild of standing will take action, since it affects their reputation as well!

'kick voting', particularly anonymously, is awful. It removes responsibility for your actions and allows people to act without impact on their reputation.

Even 'need before greed' abusers eventually got tarnished reputations.

Evoras, recalls examples of all of these in EQ

• 627 posts
    October 24, 2017 11:30 AM PDT
    It's all good my friend :) some people have issues behaving online I personally see this every day in dota 2 witch is a extremely challenging and competitive moba game, we see it on most social media and even behavior issues on the job or with your own family. We need new standards on how to behave, I hope this forum can kickstart a nice vibe for us all in pantheon. :)
    • 769 posts
    October 24, 2017 11:40 AM PDT

Evoras said:

Whether a given player

the player in question is also forced to take responsibility for his own actions too!

In the example you gave of a Group Leader booting a player just before looting an item they both want ... this would have impact on his reputation! Who is going to group with a player who acts in this way? If this group leader is Guilded and you /tell anyone from his Guild you can be certain any Guild of standing will take action, since it affects their reputation as well!

'kick voting', particularly anonymously, is awful. It removes responsibility for your actions and allows people to act without impact on their reputation.

Going to get behind this. 

The group leaders primary role is inviting, and kicking. You can argue that it's also, y'know, leading and knowing the dungeon/zone, but that falls on the whole group or whoever ends up the most experienced in that particular zone, more often than not. A group leader that kicks unfairly, or abuses the authority inherent in group leading, will be remembered. 

I'm all for reputation sorting this out. 

• 333 posts
    October 24, 2017 11:50 AM PDT

I think once a encounter has been started , you are unable to kick mid fight or change loot options is needed.

• 323 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:23 PM PDT

This question surprises me. There is no need for a group kick mechanism in this game. Choose your group leader wisely and communicate with group mates if problems arise. You could even have a vote on things like kicking someone, if you want, by, you know, using words to communicate with your group. 

• 3237 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:31 PM PDT
    As someone who always sets out to start my own groups, I think it's very important that I have the ability to remove players. There shouldn't be a voting mechanism required. If the leader of the group wants to kick someone, for whatever reason, it should be possible. If a group leader does this to ninja loot an item, they should be blackballed. Reputation is important ... allow people to earn their reputation, good or bad.
    • 557 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:18 PM PDT

I'm completely dumbfounded by this thread.  Are we so ingrained with the mechanisms of social media and reality TV that we have to "swipe left", click the "Like" button or "vote them off the island" to show our appreciation or displeasure?

As many others have pointed out, good old fashioned person to person communication is the way to deal with problems in a group.   Turn a problem into a teaching moment.   

There are legitimate reasons, such as a person falling asleep at the keyboard, where you need to kick them.   If they are disruptive and the group generally agrees, you should kick them.

Your reputation with others is your most valuable currency in Pantheon.   Maybe that should be a tagline for the game?

• 753 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:43 PM PDT

I responded earlier, but, after reading more of the thread that has developed since then...

There is a HUGE difference in MMO's where you don't really "need" a community on a day to day basis (exception being things like progression raiding) - and MMO's where you DO.  You are MUCH less likely to be rude/obnoxious/inconsiderate to others when you know you will need help with things yourself.  I believe / hope that players will be very tolerant of people who are bad players but nice people, and not as tolerant of people who are better players but not nice people.  

I think / hope, for example, that a person who makes a habit of kicking people just so they don't have to compete for loot (given as an example earlier in the thread) will soon find themselves not welcome in groups, no matter how good they are... because there will be other, nicer players who are just as good as them, or at least good enough.

It's the way MMO's that require a cooperative community work.

This post was edited by Wandidar at October 24, 2017 1:46 PM PDT
    • 753 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:44 PM PDT

Celandor said:

Your reputation with others is your most valuable currency in Pantheon.   Maybe that should be a tagline for the game?

I support this message!

• 27 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:49 PM PDT

A big solid no to abusive mechanics like vote kicking. It doesn't take much effort to disband and reform without the troublemaker. 

• 1618 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:54 PM PDT

Lovecraft said:

A big solid no to abusive mechanics like vote kicking. It doesn't take much effort to disband and reform without the troublemaker. 

I guess I don't see the difference between kicking and reforming. Both would leave the same taste in the mouth.

• 194 posts
    October 24, 2017 2:45 PM PDT
    I think one important difference is that vote-kicking is implementing a feature to actively support anti-social behavior. You're still free to disband and regroup without it, but it might be more productive to actually have a conversation with the person you're considering booting.

One other important difference between Pantheon and at least some other games that implement a vote-to-kick feature is that without instancing that person you boot is likely going to be stranded right next to you and not whisked away to wherever he/she was when they clicked on some "join group" popup on the other side of the game world.
    • 1120 posts
    October 24, 2017 2:54 PM PDT

If there's pug matchmaking, a vote kick option is needed.

If there's no pug matchmaking, juust allow groups to regulate themselves.

• 281 posts
    October 24, 2017 3:12 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

Evoras said:

Whether a given player

Going to get behind this. 

The group leaders primary role is inviting, and kicking. You can argue that it's also, y'know, leading and knowing the dungeon/zone, but that falls on the whole group or whoever ends up the most experienced in that particular zone, more often than not. A group leader that kicks unfairly, or abuses the authority inherent in group leading, will be remembered. 

I'm all for reputation sorting this out. 

Pretty much where I stand on this.  I hate games where you can be kicked without even knowledge of it happening until you are being zoned back to where you came from( which is from another issue of teleport group finders) and no indication as to why.

I definitely think that groups should be able to get rid of someone that isn't a right fit for whatever reason, but not anonomously.  Leaving it to the leader forces a discussion to occur, hopefully in group chat, so that the one getting kicked knows why and has a chance to voice disagreement if desired.

• 624 posts
    October 24, 2017 3:56 PM PDT

BamBam said: .. when that ultra rare item drops, nice people can turn bad and greedy :)

False. Nice folk don't suddenly become jerks over digital items. Whenever my family, friends, or guild are seeking high level rare loot - we already know we have each other's backs. In a game like Pantheon the items fade with each expansion, but the friendships can last a lifetime.

As for the OP, when I am off in a random xp group, meeting people for the first time, the old-fashioned, simple leader kick seems sufficient to me. Every new encounter has the chance to add to your friends OR ignore list, just like in real life.

• 2130 posts
    October 24, 2017 4:29 PM PDT

This feature makes zero sense outside of matchmaking based grouping systems. Pantheon will not have that, so it would be utterly pointless to include.

• 28 posts
    October 24, 2017 4:37 PM PDT

I'd be very disappointed if the Group Leader didn't have the kick function. As an original EQ player, in this style of game it is incredibly unusual for an individual to kick someone from the group over a single loot drop. This is particularly true because usually the rare loot is also a low drop percentage, so often times you don't even know if the rare item you're after is even going to drop. As was said before, reputation is the key.

My biggest problem is that locking encounters or groups will remove additional flexibility from the game. Say you're exploring a new zone trying to find a wizard who will teleport you back to town. A high level mob chases after you as you come upon the wizard. You invite the wizard to your group and start screaming PORT NOW!!!! as the hill giant rushes towards you. Introducing arbitrary "group locks" or limits to group creation can have the unintended consequence of influencing situations such as the one I've described.

• 2419 posts
    October 24, 2017 4:53 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, Group kicking is a terrible idea, it can be abused in so many ways, I'd say if anything have it to where if someone isn't doing anything just kick him, and if he goes afk for 30~ min the game itself will log him out.  this by itself will solve a lot of problems.

Agreed, terrible idea.  In just a few minutes I came up with quite a few ways to grief people using this horrible idea.  This is not needed.  Not everything needs some in-game mechanic.  Someone in your group being an ass?  Everyone leave the group, reform, don't invite the other person.  That is all you need and even that can be exploited but at least it isn't a hard-wired mechanic people will whine and complain about.

• 65 posts
    October 24, 2017 5:09 PM PDT

Wasted dev resources for no reason. Easy bad idea

This post was edited by Demostorm at October 24, 2017 5:14 PM PDT
    • 454 posts
    October 24, 2017 5:32 PM PDT

I’ve never had to kick someone from a group.  I’ve never been kicked from a group, maybe I’m lucky.  I am more than willing to learn from anyone who can teach me.  I’ll never join a group where somebody says loot x is all mine if it drops.  That tells me all I need to know about that person.