Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Juicy Info

• 3237 posts
    February 6, 2017 11:05 AM PST

Enitzu said:

Ok ... you have to find a better way to come up with thread names. Here I was thinking "Oh dam maybe I missed a Pre Alpha/Alpha release date!" and instead I get disappointed :(

And this thread is derailing into the progeny thread again lol

Eh ... I think the info in the OP was still pretty juicy.  If anybody ever finds teaser info that isn't on the main site, I think it's worth sharing.  Kilsin has already said many times that they would send out info on prealpha well in advance of it going live, so I wouldn't get your hopes up of ever finding something like that on a thread like this.  Teaser info on mentoring and diplomacy though ... come on, that's juicy man!  Plus with how the wording was shared on progeny ... I found that pretty intriguing as well.  Sorry to let you down bro.  =/

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 6, 2017 11:06 AM PST
    • 422 posts
    February 6, 2017 11:13 AM PST

philo said:

Elrandir said:

I think rewarding someone for making an alt is actually at the heart of the reason for implementing the Progeny system.  The idea being so more people will replay old content.

You are partly correct.  The reasoning is to give players incentive to replay through content.  Whether that is through playing an alt or replaying through with the original character doesn't matter. 

The issue is the required sacrifice.  If there is little or no sacrifice and the reward is even a tiny bit good everyone will do it...or feel like they have to do it.  If there is a substantial sacrifice then some people will opt out of partaking in the system because they don't want to make the sacrifice. 

Are the Devs ok with the playerbase considering replaying through the levels using the progeny system as mandatory?  I'm unsure.  If the rewards are even a little bit good some people will consider it mandatory anyway.  If the benefit is negligible than most people won't care and probably won't partake.  It is a fine line to balance if they truely want it to be optional. 

My opinion is, that for it to be considered optional by a majority of the playerbase, the sacrifice must be substantial.

I would like to hear the thoughts of people who have played through a similar system in games like DDO or KoL.  I know the other thread had a lot of opinions from people who hadn't experienced a similar system in other games.  Please don't knock it until you have tried it.

I am all for the progeny system. I have never played through a game with it, though I did play DDO, just never used that system.

I would love to see the main character deleted, some or all of the gear "Passed Down" to the new character as heirlooms, and give us bonuses. I would love to see this done as a way to drive alternate advancement rather than an AA system. People could get to max level, do some raiding, gather gear, then when an expansion comes out roll a new progeny character and enjoy the new content. This would also help fix the issue of having top heavy content adding to the problem of top heavy server populations. Giving the players a really good reason to re-roll, keeping our gear (though at a slightly less powerful level), and giving us great bonuses then allowing us to play through new story content from lvl 1 one would be awesome. New players could join in on the new content. They could revamp old zones for new story so that vets could revisit old zones in expansions and have a whole new experience. I would absolutely LOVE this type of system. Instead of leveling a dozen alts I could have a core couple characters (couple different classes) and re-level them when I get bored of end game raid/group content and get some major benefit from it.

• 72 posts
    February 6, 2017 12:06 PM PST

i for one hope that they do NOT use a "mentor" system.  I think that is unrealistic and takes away from the value of being a high level character.  Just do it the old way.  Make an alt have have your high level gear that alt.

• 422 posts
    February 6, 2017 12:15 PM PST

shasta said:

i for one hope that they do NOT use a "mentor" system.  I think that is unrealistic and takes away from the value of being a high level character.  Just do it the old way.  Make an alt have have your high level gear that alt.

Completely disagree. They should provide a mentor system for people who want to use their main and play with friends. If you want to roll an alt instead, you can still do that. I don't want to play tons of alts just so I can group with friends who play more or less than I do.

• 2886 posts
    February 6, 2017 12:47 PM PST

shasta said:

How does it take away from the value of being a high level character? If anything, it does the opposite. You're never forced to mentor.

If my friend is level 15 and wants to play with me, I'd have to create a new character from level 1 and level them up to at least 10 before I can really start playing with them. That's just a waste of time. Not to mention having to keep up with them on that alt while I still make progress on my main? No thank you. Mentoring is a good thing.

Either way, the mentor system was confirmed in the last stream. Sorry.

• 556 posts
    February 6, 2017 2:52 PM PST

oneADseven said:

Enitzu said:

Ok ... you have to find a better way to come up with thread names. Here I was thinking "Oh dam maybe I missed a Pre Alpha/Alpha release date!" and instead I get disappointed :(

And this thread is derailing into the progeny thread again lol

Eh ... I think the info in the OP was still pretty juicy.  If anybody ever finds teaser info that isn't on the main site, I think it's worth sharing.  Kilsin has already said many times that they would send out info on prealpha well in advance of it going live, so I wouldn't get your hopes up of ever finding something like that on a thread like this.  Teaser info on mentoring and diplomacy though ... come on, that's juicy man!  Plus with how the wording was shared on progeny ... I found that pretty intriguing as well.  Sorry to let you down bro.  =/

No worries! Just in a lull gaming wise lol. Even picked up ESO hoping to kill some time.

• 1618 posts
    February 6, 2017 2:53 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

shasta said:

How does it take away from the value of being a high level character? If anything, it does the opposite. You're never forced to mentor.

If my friend is level 15 and wants to play with me, I'd have to create a new character from level 1 and level them up to at least 10 before I can really start playing with them. That's just a waste of time. Not to mention having to keep up with them on that alt while I still make progress on my main? No thank you. Mentoring is a good thing.

Either way, the mentor system was confirmed in the last stream. Sorry.

Amen, Brother!

• 1860 posts
    February 6, 2017 2:59 PM PST

kellindil said:

I would love to see the main character deleted, some or all of the gear "Passed Down" to the new character as heirlooms, and give us bonuses. I would love to see this done as a way to drive alternate advancement rather than an AA system. People could get to max level, do some raiding, gather gear, then when an expansion comes out roll a new progeny character and enjoy the new content. This would also help fix the issue of having top heavy content adding to the problem of top heavy server populations. Giving the players a really good reason to re-roll, keeping our gear (though at a slightly less powerful level), and giving us great bonuses then allowing us to play through new story content from lvl 1 one would be awesome. New players could join in on the new content. They could revamp old zones for new story so that vets could revisit old zones in expansions and have a whole new experience. I would absolutely LOVE this type of system. Instead of leveling a dozen alts I could have a core couple characters (couple different classes) and re-level them when I get bored of end game raid/group content and get some major benefit from it.

Quoted to emphasize this thought.  I agree completely.  Kellindil gets it.

• 2752 posts
    February 6, 2017 3:09 PM PST

As someone who tends to outlevel many of my friends I greatly appreciate a mentor system to be able to still play with them. 

• 3016 posts
    February 7, 2017 3:34 PM PST

Irregardless of how the progeny system finally ends up...I WILL be making alts.   Sorry..I have altitis,  I craft, explore, I love different starter areas,  I want to know about it all.  :)

• 441 posts
    February 7, 2017 3:44 PM PST
    This makes my heart very happy as I always end up leveling way faster then my wife. So I end up juggling two chars at launch. So my main levels way slower then I would like.