Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Anyone Interested in PVP?

• 67 posts
    September 18, 2016 9:14 AM PDT

Anyone other than myself is interested in PVP servers? I have a small group of friends and family that used to play EQ together and we're all every excited about Pantheon right now. We started on Karana in old EQ1 and transitioned to Rallos Zek server due to the open world PVP and absolutely loved it. I know EQ nor Pantheon  focus primaraly on PVP but the PVP servers in EQ1 were one of my favorite implementation of PVP through all the MMO's i've played over the years. I'm just very surprised not to see anyone have any PVP posts??

Also - would anyone participate in server vs server PVP???! That is always fun to have GM's open up a merge server to have the different servers and guilds duke it out for server pride!!! :)

• 116 posts
    September 18, 2016 9:22 AM PDT

I'm down for a PvP server.

• 432 posts
    September 18, 2016 9:43 AM PDT

If I am not mistaken, on the old forum there was a poll about PvP vs PvE . Out of memory a large majority was not interested in PvP .

Btw I am not interested by PvP of any kind when I play an MMORPG . When I want to play some PvP I generally play other kind of games (mostly MOBA) .

• 243 posts
    September 18, 2016 9:50 AM PDT

I do recall VR mentioning pvp when they were doing the twitch stream. I actually just did a search for PVP, PvP,pvp, and nothing came up, not even this post, which I find odd.   I am pretty sure they are considering separate PVP servers, however I don't know if they would be implemented at launch or a bit later.  I personally am not a PVPer, but I think it's mostly because I suck at it and would end up as a whipping boy :P

• 1778 posts
    September 18, 2016 11:07 AM PDT

Ill likely be interested in a PvP server. Depending on several factors, I might have a character on both PvE and PvP servers. Or I might decide only to PvP. Probably the most important factor to me is how prolific contested content is through the game or if there is enough content to go around. If everything comes down to only that for adventure (not many quests, triggered or other means to high adventure), then I refuse to be stuck on the sidelines with nothing to do because top guilds control everything. If I cant claim it then Ill kill anyone in my way or die trying. Better than standing around for 3 hours everyday for 6 months and never accomplishing anything. Its not even about the loot so much as wanting to test my skills against the challenge of a named and the comraderie of the fight.

However if there is enough content to keep it fair (I dont expect to get the named all the time) or if there are other methods then contested content to keep me waist deep in high adventure (read: not crafting or other such things). Then Ill have a character on both server types. Because I like both types. But I cant stand feeling like I cant do anything fun because Im being @$&# blocked at every turn from high end content. Difficulty and rarity are one thing, impossible to ever do is another.

• 24 posts
    September 18, 2016 11:24 AM PDT

Started out on Rallos back in the days. Came from a Game with full Body Loot (Meridian 59). I hope, they implementing the same Loot Rules like Rallos Zek had. One Item to pick.

• 1434 posts
    September 18, 2016 11:36 AM PDT

Also played on RZ for a few years and a Pantheon PvP server will be my home. To me, nothing brings a world to life like real diplomacy with people and guilds and the drama that ensues when competing over content with players that can kill you.

• 187 posts
    September 18, 2016 11:38 AM PDT

I love PvP, but I always hated that it was an isolated server in EQ. I wonder if they could just wrap PvP into an arena setting on all servers without effecting the vibe of the game. I stopped playing WoW before battlegrounds, how did its inclusion effect the rest of the game?

• 1434 posts
    September 18, 2016 11:52 AM PDT

Syntro said:

I love PvP, but I always hated that it was an isolated server in EQ. I wonder if they could just wrap PvP into an arena setting on all servers without effecting the vibe of the game. I stopped playing WoW before battlegrounds, how did its inclusion effect the rest of the game?

EQ actually had 4 PvP servers and players could fight in arenas in any city on a PvE server as well as the Arena zone.

Like most features in WoW, PvP felt pretty tacked on. It had no real bearing on anything. Only for a short time was there anything to really fight for. The best PvP in WoW was the early open world variety where people fought purely for factional pride and a few contested targets. After that it became all about battlegrounds which had no effect on anything outside of those instanced areas or the world at large.

For a game that was supposedly all about the war between these bitter rivals (horde/alliance), it didn't matter a hill of beans. In EQ, the lore supported some pretty deep rooted conflict and actually provided a way to resolve the drama between rival guilds that became so popular in dungeons and over raid targets. It actually impacted "the story" of each server.

• 24 posts
    September 18, 2016 12:19 PM PDT

PvP is the best Content - made by Players.

Please Brad, make it hard with a nice rule set. Allow us to loot our Victims, delevel them, etc. No Barbie Girl PvP Server please.

This post was edited by Chett at September 18, 2016 12:23 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    September 18, 2016 12:24 PM PDT

ShaggNasty said:

Anyone other than myself is interested in PVP servers? I have a small group of friends and family that used to play EQ together and we're all every excited about Pantheon right now. We started on Karana in old EQ1 and transitioned to Rallos Zek server due to the open world PVP and absolutely loved it. I know EQ nor Pantheon  focus primaraly on PVP but the PVP servers in EQ1 were one of my favorite implementation of PVP through all the MMO's i've played over the years. I'm just very surprised not to see anyone have any PVP posts??

Also - would anyone participate in server vs server PVP???! That is always fun to have GM's open up a merge server to have the different servers and guilds duke it out for server pride!!! :)

I've played in a few pvp games,  starting with Meridian 59,  Saga of Ryzom had an area where you could pvp, just not the whole server,  same with Rift,  Warhammer,  Lineage II.   Just don't like the pvp in a box,   that Warhammer had,  much prefer the open field areas,  like Dark Age of Camelot,  where you could hunt people through the forests,  and ambush.   Cities and towns were offlimits.  :)  I'm not as quick as I used to be,  so probably won't pvp any more.   If they get up ruleset servers eventually...I'm sure that would be fun,  just no griefing of newbies,  that is a big turn-off and discourages newcomers.  

Cana

• 1921 posts
    September 18, 2016 1:30 PM PDT

Spent years playing direct "murderhobo" PvP from M59 onward but I know there's far more interesting ways of players interacting than reducing their hit points to zero. :) 

So if Pantheon PvP is going to be more "reduce your opponents hit points to zero"? I'll probably take a pass, this time around.  Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

• 1 posts
    September 18, 2016 2:27 PM PDT

I'd love to play on PVP :)

• 9115 posts
    September 18, 2016 5:03 PM PDT

We have said that we will have separate PvP servers for those who like PvP but the game is primarily a PvE game as that is the bigger portion of our community so the more support for PvP the more chances of different ruleset servers but PvP will in no way affect or intrude on PvE servers, they will remain true PvE.

You can have a character on each server if you want. :)

• 38 posts
    September 18, 2016 5:30 PM PDT

Yeppers, count me in. I will be rolling my first character on the PvP server. 

• 10 posts
    September 18, 2016 5:56 PM PDT

Yes, very interested in PvP but don't want it forced on me. I will most likely roll on a PvE server, but an optional PvP-flag for those who want it on PvE server would be very welcome! :) Alternatively there could be a big arena for this!

This post was edited by Veltan at September 18, 2016 5:59 PM PDT
    • 801 posts
    September 18, 2016 11:42 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

We have said that we will have separate PvP servers for those who like PvP but the game is primarily a PvE game as that is the bigger portion of our community so the more support for PvP the more chances of different ruleset servers but PvP will in no way affect or intrude on PvE servers, they will remain true PvE.

1 pvp server. You string a thin line, aready with that playerbase if you do more then one.

• 63 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:03 AM PDT

I love PvP.

But I absolutely do not want to end up in a situation where classes are homogenized just so every class can be viable in PvP. That is something that would impact PvE - unless characters on PvP servers possess different ability sets than they would otherwise be allowed to have on PvE servers.

• 21 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:40 AM PDT

I love pvp and have big hope for it in Crowfall (playing prealpha atm). In Pantheon i will ofc choose pvp server if it comes, though i think its better to have 95%  pve focus here :P

But some arena are always welcome :P

This post was edited by Benny at September 19, 2016 1:41 AM PDT
    • 67 posts
    September 19, 2016 8:57 AM PDT

Chett said:

PvP is the best Content - made by Players.

Please Brad, make it hard with a nice rule set. Allow us to loot our Victims, delevel them, etc. No Barbie Girl PvP Server please.

I agree! PVP really for a role play aspect is wonderful and also adds a completely different level of depth and challenges to the game. Especailly on small servers you can really get to know people. I had literal enemies on Zek...Guild wars to KOS different guilds. I absolutely love free for all PVP with a decent level restriction so you cant get greifers.. 1/2 lvl +1 (group range) you can attack higher but not lower? Something like that?!

• 67 posts
    September 19, 2016 9:06 AM PDT

@Crazzie that is a good point. Hopefully they will launch with just one PVP server...and decide from there if the player base would support more...we dont want 3 pvp servers with 200 person populations... i think the best scenario would be more is better!

And on a side note... Rallos Zek PvP server was first to kill Sleeper...just saying - PVP brings out the best in you! :)

X

• 36 posts
    September 19, 2016 9:31 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Sounds good.  The only thing I'd ask is keep in mind the influence of resistance to spells in regards to PVP.  That's the main thing that killed the real EQ PVP scene.  Mudflation kept coming and suddenly you didn't have to wear any 'resist gear' and everyone just had it, and you couldn't land a darn thing on another player. 

Original EQ is still some of the best PVP memories I have from any non FPS game.  Rallos Zek was a lot of fun.  And how you had to change your combat styles to prevent killing/hurting your own teammates made it a very different game than when you couldn't affect teammates, I very much liked that about it. 

• 1434 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:45 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

Kilsin said:

1 pvp server. You string a thin line, aready with that playerbase if you do more then one.

There should be as many as are required. Limiting the number of servers would just be a disservice to fans and their business. PvP is not something that prevents players from being part of the larger Pantheon community or that alienates their fans. EQ had quite a few different rulesets including RP and different types of PvP, and it still worked great.

And PvP is more popular than ever before.

• 428 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:53 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

Syntro said:

EQ actually had 4 PvP servers and players could fight in arenas in any city on a PvE server as well as the Arena zone.

Like most features in WoW, PvP felt pretty tacked on. It had no real bearing on anything. Only for a short time was there anything to really fight for. The best PvP in WoW was the early open world variety where people fought purely for factional pride and a few contested targets. After that it became all about battlegrounds which had no effect on anything outside of those instanced areas or the world at large.

For a game that was supposedly all about the war between these bitter rivals (horde/alliance), it didn't matter a hill of beans. In EQ, the lore supported some pretty deep rooted conflict and actually provided a way to resolve the drama between rival guilds that became so popular in dungeons and over raid targets. It actually impacted "the story" of each server.

I loved EQ2.  they had a huge amount of contested mobs so on a PVP server its so much harder to clear a mob.  We ued to fight for hours just to position our raid and make sure the block force was ready to handle PVP.  I remember wiping a 4x raid when they had a world wide first avatar down to 2 percent :)  then putting a 6x block force up and having our 4x raid burn that contested to the ground while killing a 8x worth of qeyno players and a 6x of exiles..    Or bringing in a 4x of freeporters right on the Qeyno docks and watch them slowly gather a huge force only to get crushed :D

Keep the stupid arena and duels off pvp servers make every zone PVP (I dont mind level limits like 10 levels difference so a level 70 couldnt attack a level 59)

• 428 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:55 AM PDT

jerus said:

Kilsin said:

Sounds good.  The only thing I'd ask is keep in mind the influence of resistance to spells in regards to PVP.  That's the main thing that killed the real EQ PVP scene.  Mudflation kept coming and suddenly you didn't have to wear any 'resist gear' and everyone just had it, and you couldn't land a darn thing on another player. 

Original EQ is still some of the best PVP memories I have from any non FPS game.  Rallos Zek was a lot of fun.  And how you had to change your combat styles to prevent killing/hurting your own teammates made it a very different game than when you couldn't affect teammates, I very much liked that about it. 

EQ2 had a great solution.  on ever spell and equipment there was a little check box that said PVP.  they had coded in PVP damage and ressits to be different then PVE.  So one never affected the other and there was no issue with tweaking PVE for PVP or PVP for PVE they just altered the other set of code.