Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Anyone Interested in PVP?

• 36 posts
    September 19, 2016 12:10 PM PDT

Kalgore said:

jerus said:

Kilsin said:

We have said that we will have separate PvP servers for those who like PvP but the game is primarily a PvE game as that is the bigger portion of our community so the more support for PvP the more chances of different ruleset servers but PvP will in no way affect or intrude on PvE servers, they will remain true PvE.

You can have a character on each server if you want. :)

Sounds good.  The only thing I'd ask is keep in mind the influence of resistance to spells in regards to PVP.  That's the main thing that killed the real EQ PVP scene.  Mudflation kept coming and suddenly you didn't have to wear any 'resist gear' and everyone just had it, and you couldn't land a darn thing on another player. 

Original EQ is still some of the best PVP memories I have from any non FPS game.  Rallos Zek was a lot of fun.  And how you had to change your combat styles to prevent killing/hurting your own teammates made it a very different game than when you couldn't affect teammates, I very much liked that about it. 

EQ2 had a great solution.  on ever spell and equipment there was a little check box that said PVP.  they had coded in PVP damage and ressits to be different then PVE.  So one never affected the other and there was no issue with tweaking PVE for PVP or PVP for PVE they just altered the other set of code. 

Mhm, I've seen it done a few ways, and it doesn't really matter to me which way.  I just wanted to point out that the resistance was the big hit to EQ1 PVP, plenty of other small things people could complain about but that was the main point. 

• 36 posts
    September 19, 2016 12:12 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

Crazzie said:

Kilsin said:

We have said that we will have separate PvP servers for those who like PvP but the game is primarily a PvE game as that is the bigger portion of our community so the more support for PvP the more chances of different ruleset servers but PvP will in no way affect or intrude on PvE servers, they will remain true PvE.

You can have a character on each server if you want. :)

1 pvp server. You string a thin line, aready with that playerbase if you do more then one.

There should be as many as are required. Limiting the number of servers would just be a disservice to fans and their business. PvP is not something that prevents players from being part of the larger Pantheon community or that alienates their fans. EQ had quite a few different rulesets including RP and different types of PvP, and it still worked great.

And PvP is more popular than ever before.

I think they should just start with 1 though, and if it gets enough action that it's being bogged down, open a second with perhaps free transfers, or try a different ruleset.  I think the idea is start low just incase, you don't want small populations on mulitiple servers when you could have medium to high populations on less servers. 

• 86 posts
    September 19, 2016 8:47 PM PDT

I personally have no interest in PvE only servers.  My friends and I played on Tallon Zek  (EQ1 PvP) for many years.  There is just something about that extra tension that exists because of PvP that makes everything more meaningful for me.  The way players interact is different when PvP is a possibility.  

PvP was my main motive for advancement of gear, levels and abilities.  The power struggle and arms race of guilds jockeying for dominance and right to powerful spells and equipment made EQ1 PvP the best ever (to me). 

I hope the first server is FFA, no safe zones or instances,  4 to 8ish level range.

I hope the tempo of PvP will be slower and not just a button mashing DPS circus.  My favorite era from EQ was when everyone had good HPs and resists.  Fights were chess matches instead of the typical tic-tac-toe button mash.  Most actions could be countered and management of mana was crucial, as was jousting for melee position to make others miss their combat rounds.

This post was edited by Greattaste at September 19, 2016 8:48 PM PDT
    • 49 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:19 PM PDT
    I'm so excited that they said there will be one pvp server at launch nothing makes a game more exciting than battling the world and other players, it makes you keep your head on a swivel at all times. Plus you et to fight for rare mobs instead of just sitting in line if more than one group needs something. So of course I shall be on the pvp server and will be looking for a hardcore raid guild also!!
    • 1434 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:39 PM PDT

Greattaste said:

I personally have no interest in PvE only servers.  My friends and I played on Tallon Zek  (EQ1 PvP) for many years.  There is just something about that extra tension that exists because of PvP that makes everything more meaningful for me.  The way players interact is different when PvP is a possibility.  

PvP was my main motive for advancement of gear, levels and abilities.  The power struggle and arms race of guilds jockeying for dominance and right to powerful spells and equipment made EQ1 PvP the best ever (to me). 

I hope the first server is FFA, no safe zones or instances,  4 to 8ish level range.

I hope the tempo of PvP will be slower and not just a button mashing DPS circus.  My favorite era from EQ was when everyone had good HPs and resists.  Fights were chess matches instead of the typical tic-tac-toe button mash.  Most actions could be countered and management of mana was crucial, as was jousting for melee position to make others miss their combat rounds.

Sums up my feelings precisely.

The chance that someone might attack you makes everything more interesting. The higher level of accountability is also great because players more often than not actually acknowledge and respect each other. Mistreating or even ignoring the people around you can be a serious mistake.

I have to say I think a teams PvP server might be better to start. I personally prefer FFA and played on Rallos Zek which was FFA, but it was the lowest population server (though still very populated) and didn't have the lore friendly PvP and racial/factional pride that existed on the other PvP servers. I think both of these things are important. I really like the sort of build in roleplay aspect of teams and for most people. The built in safety of teams is also more appealing to the average player, so it might be the better option to start. They could, perhaps, have the option of joining a FFA faction down the line ala EQ2, but it shouldn't be easy to go back, if possible at all.

• 66 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:46 PM PDT

WTB 2 Velium Blue Diamond Bracelets!!!

i rocked 2 of those early on even as a rogue in my early career on Sullon Zek. the resists were good without having to go into dungeon zones and farm the good stuff. i liked the SZ ruleset of an 8 level difference to PvP, made it to where you had a fighting chance instead of hitting level 6 then getting nuked down by a 60 druid camping the city entrance and not letting anyone get xp. 

This post was edited by Furty at September 19, 2016 11:49 PM PDT
    • 319 posts
    September 20, 2016 9:58 AM PDT

EQ had the perfect pvp content. Keep it in the arena or dueling. I much prefer pve only. PVP servers are for the few that want to ruin everyone elses game. Let them have thier own server. I am sure it will be sparsely populated and if there are goels to be reached for expansions nd opening new areas they will be well behind the pve people.

• 1778 posts
    September 20, 2016 10:13 AM PDT
    I get that you don't like Pvp Isaya.

But those last 2 statements are wrong. People don't always Pvp to grief. Some actually do it for fun and challenge.

And it's simply not true that Pvp means you will be behind. I have seen and heard of PvE server firsts on Pvp servers. Now maybe the general population might be overall behind their PvE brothers. But I find hardcore PvP folks are often the tip of the spear.

Besides the devs said Pvp won't effect PvE. If and when they put in a Pvp server, why would you care?
    • 219 posts
    September 20, 2016 10:31 AM PDT

Isaya said:

EQ had the perfect pvp content. Keep it in the arena or dueling. I much prefer pve only. PVP servers are for the few that want to ruin everyone elses game. Let them have thier own server. I am sure it will be sparsely populated and if there are goels to be reached for expansions nd opening new areas they will be well behind the pve people.

Amsai said: I get that you don't like Pvp Isaya. But those last 2 statements are wrong. People don't always Pvp to grief. I actually do it for fun and challenge. And it's simply not true that PvP means you will be behind. I have seen and heard of PvE server firsts on Pvp servers. Now maybe the general population might be overall behind their PvE brothers. But I find hardcore PvP folks are often the tip of the spear. Besides the devs said Pvp won't effect PvE. If and when they put in a Pvp server, why would you care?

Thanks Amsai for your remarks. 

Isaya.... I myself very much enjoy PvP for the thrill of having to always watch my back. In regards to myself, like Amsai said, it brings out the best in me (Tip of the spear). Constantly battling against my peers creates a situation of learning and advancement in my own abilities to a degree that PvE never could.

I for one am all for PvP while at the same time. I truly love PvE as well. I feel more relaxed while playing PvE then I ever do while playing PvP. But the excitment and experience that both deliver is completely different.

• 6 posts
    September 20, 2016 10:32 AM PDT

Isaya said:

As far as I know, us Rallos folk were faster/on-par with the top end PVE servers.

I mean, Rallos was what, the 3rd server to down Nagafen in 99?

PVP players are usually a ton more competent than strictly PVE, because awareness becomes an actual trait, not just the routine "STAY OUT OF THE FIRE" encounter.

More like, stay out of the fire that player x has caused while killing player y, and making sure Mob X isn't killing our tank while Player X has called his buddies.

Please don't underestimate us neckbeards who like to solve our problems not with /petition but with guildwars.

• 49 posts
    September 20, 2016 11:18 AM PDT
    @MazeEQ preach brother PvEers always underestimate the skill level we pvpers have over them because we have to be more aware of all of our abilities. Sometimes in PvP you use spells and abilities that PvE players don't even think about using.
    • 6 posts
    September 20, 2016 11:54 AM PDT
    How many times have you used blind in PVE? Oh? Never? Okay. Well everyone had it memmed on Zek.

Am I the only one who would run to the end of a dungeon on my cleric with DI up and /q on a rival guild? These are tactics. And we're widely accepted.

I've seen more skill from mediocre PVP players than I have seen from Triality or Redemption during the PoP days.

Hell.

Sleeper was downed by PVP mongoloids right? When's the last time anyone downed sleeper in PoP gear? Oh. Wait. Didn't happen.
    • 610 posts
    September 20, 2016 12:22 PM PDT

As most old timers on this board can tell you, I hate PVP with a passion. But that is my preference and I would never want to force another to play to my style. I sure do hope the pvpers have a server where they they can grief and corpse camp each other all they want (that was a facetious statement, meant totally tongue in cheek). I also though dont want the pvp balancing to ever and in any way affect PVE, and as has been stated by the devs there really shouldnt be any reason for it to. Just make a server, turn PVP on and let loose the dogs of war.

• 49 posts
    September 20, 2016 12:49 PM PDT
    The way I see it is eventually every computer mob in the game will have a pattern that you can learn and defeat where as when I'm fighting another human there is no clue what he is going to do next
    • 6 posts
    September 20, 2016 1:11 PM PDT
    I'm no way should PvP balance ever affect PvE

Note back to a game I'm actively developing. We have a skill switch is called Set Shift. When used it asks you if you'd like to use your PvP or PvE set, and which PvE set based on class type.

It's worked pretty well so far. Set Shift changes your PvP spells and PvP gear which are acquired completely separate from PvE sets.

Basically, I have certain "caves"/dungeons that are PvP flagged that drop substantially better loot than the PvE caves, due to the risk involved.

The NPC's in PvP caves use the PvP formula and statistics to combat the PC this way you must use your PvP set.

Just something I thought was nifty.
    • 173 posts
    September 20, 2016 1:29 PM PDT

Sevens said:

As most old timers on this board can tell you, I hate PVP with a passion. But that is my preference and I would never want to force another to play to my style. I sure do hope the pvpers have a server where they they can grief and corpse camp each other all they want (that was a facetious statement, meant totally tongue in cheek). I also though dont want the pvp balancing to ever and in any way affect PVE, and as has been stated by the devs there really shouldnt be any reason for it to. Just make a server, turn PVP on and let loose the dogs of war.

+1

While not a fan of it myself, if they wanna make a server for it by all means.  It's  not just MY game, it's OURS :)

• 54 posts
    September 20, 2016 1:31 PM PDT

I do not prefer open World PvP, instanced arenas with it's own progression system like PvP points for PvP gear is something I would participate in! 

• 120 posts
    September 20, 2016 1:32 PM PDT

@OP

I'm definitely interested in PVP, though I won't play on a server that is PVP (probably) I actually enjoy the battleground feel that games like WoW provide.

I like open world pvp, but find the server pop of these type of servers to be quite lacking, however playing on rift pvp servers when that launched did provide some of the best pvp I ever had doing world events with open world pvp.

• 1434 posts
    September 20, 2016 2:28 PM PDT

MazeEQ said:

As far as I know, us Rallos folk were faster/on-par with the top end PVE servers.

I mean, Rallos was what, the 3rd server to down Nagafen in 99?

PVP players are usually a ton more competent than strictly PVE, because awareness becomes an actual trait, not just the routine "STAY OUT OF THE FIRE" encounter.

More like, stay out of the fire that player x has caused while killing player y, and making sure Mob X isn't killing our tank while Player X has called his buddies.

Please don't underestimate us neckbeards who like to solve our problems not with /petition but with guildwars.

Aside from a few exceptions, RZ was actually way behind PvE servers (at least up till Luclin). Raid mobs were seldom killed when they spawned and Trakanon stayed up for long periods of time. I think he was only killed a handful of times during Kunark. I remember one of them because with him finally dead we were able to farm Jumpy and Protector for a few days.

Not that this matters. If people don't mind slower progression due to exciting competition, why should anyone else care? Whats it to them?

This post was edited by Dullahan at September 20, 2016 2:32 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    September 20, 2016 2:31 PM PDT

Sevens said:

I'm glad you have now embraced this.

The existence of PvP servers will only serve to keep some of the hyper-competitive players away from the general populus. Its actually a good thing.

• 49 posts
    September 20, 2016 2:56 PM PDT
    I have never been a fan of having specific pvp gear I always liked original eq where we just used gear that had what we needed i.e. resist gear and whatnot. Also I hope they never do anything like battlegrounds you can have ranks and everything with world pvp you don't need that stuff. Lastly I would never push pvp on anyone it happens to be something I love and always have but games that force pvp or pve are bad from the start, let us chose if we can handle being corpse camped for a whole night or not lol. But I hope to see you guys on the pvp server I'm all about progression but you know I have to get a little griefing out there too!
    • 610 posts
    September 20, 2016 3:41 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

Sevens said:

I'm glad you have now embraced this.

The existence of PvP servers will only serve to keep some of the hyper-competitive players away from the general populus. Its actually a good thing.

Ive never really been oppesed to a pvp server, as long as its kept there and the balance never affects pve. I still hate it thought, nothing will ever change that :)

• 103 posts
    September 21, 2016 9:02 AM PDT

Not really. Never been. Ive dabbled and even made some alts with intent on leveling and focusing on PvP only but thats never lasted too long. Honestly when I think PvP I much prefer other genres like RTS, or fighting games. FPS too but ive been over those since high school... the FPS golden years of Unreal, Q3 Arena, and Battlefield 1942 (im old). World PvP would be good, specially in a group oriented game... but unfortunately in the end itll just be gankers vs victims 80+% of the time. Despite what they say, i find PvPer's tend to avoid and run away from battles theyre not 100% sure theyd win. Then again, I never bought into that "I harrass lowbies so they can bring their high level friends who are probably already in an a high level area I could already access but choose not to for reasons" excuse.

• 243 posts
    September 21, 2016 10:16 AM PDT

So here are a few honest questions:  Why do they need to "balance" classes in PVP?  Is it because everyone wants to have the same chance at killing someone?  And by balance do they mean take away certain classes abilities so they aren't effective or what?  Let's say I am a cleric, are my heals reduced so that a rogue can come up and kill me, or can I hold my own against them and basically make it a stalemate?  Of those who were on PVP servers, were you always being attacked when you played?  I would like to know what the player atmosphere was like if you guys don't mind sharing, thanks :)

• 49 posts
    September 21, 2016 10:43 AM PDT
    Well here are a few honest answers to said questions 1 we don't need balance for pvp there has never been a game that had good pvp that has tried to balance it. Some classes destroy others that happens if you want a fair chance to kill everyone go play wow. The pvp servers weren't fighting 24/7 we had grinds and did raids but if another guild or group was looking for the same loot we were you better believe we fought for it. There will always be the guy who kills lowbies to get his rocks off but that's because he gets his butt handed to him by the guys his level but it's usually a lot of fun because there is no waiting for a certain spawn on a list hoping you get it, you fight for that **** and spoils go the victor!