Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Playing with a Controller

• 2138 posts
    March 4, 2019 12:56 PM PST

You can get a controller plug in for your PC, right?

and....

Computers or PC's = science, sophistication, mature, good, and if there is a game on a PC it can be judged to be its sophisticated.

Xbox, PS1, controlers= toys, for fluff, not serious and sophisticated stuff. Jeff Smith in MIB2 - that was just not funny and that scene seemed out of place in that genre. Fortnite kind of things, a mere "toy" not a home office.

This post was edited by Manouk at March 4, 2019 12:57 PM PST
    • 1033 posts
    March 4, 2019 12:59 PM PST

Wilsef said:

I totally understand a controller is inferior to a KBM, but I don't see any real reason why an MMO can't support controllers, especially with modern day controller interface customizations. 

I agree, nothing wrong with "supporting" it, but..., the real key is if they "design" for it. I know they are limited in design effort, and so adding the basic ability through Unity to support a controller interface, I have no real issues with.... PROVIDING they do not change their interface to attend to such. The reason is that Those are x/y based interface traversal and if VR designs their interface to such in the face of keyboard/mous free movement, all I can say is... Sell out. 

Eat my money, I am done. 

Why? I have seen companies in the past promise BS and this is the most OBVIOUS affronts. It is a blatant sell out to the console mainstrem generation. 

No

No company that has limited means is going to waste time chasing console/controller interface means unless it is selling out. The moment they claim Pantheon is being DESIGNED for controllers, I won't even bother picking up the game as I have been there, done that and I won't be fooled again. 

This post was edited by Tanix at March 4, 2019 12:59 PM PST
    • 1033 posts
    March 4, 2019 1:05 PM PST

Manouk said:

You can get a controller plug in for your PC, right?

Yes, this makes an argument for what exactly?

Manouk said:

and....

Computers or PC's = science, sophistication, mature, good, and if there is a game on a PC it can be judged to be its sophisticated.

Xbox, PS1, controlers= toys, for fluff, not serious and sophisticated stuff. Jeff Smith in MIB2 - that was just not funny and that scene seemed out of place in that genre. Fortnite kind of things, a mere "toy" not a home office.

It is about the very things I talked about.

A controller requires a certain process in movement. Did you ever wonder why console games had step wise menu systems? ie... you move to the right, new menu opens, then you push down, a sub menu, another menu opens, then... etc... all controlled, no open movement.

Another example...,

How do you pick an item from inventory with a controller? Do you simply move over to the item and grab it, drag it where you want it? Opps? Nope? Can't do that? 

Nope, you must first select the row you want to navigate, then.., push to the left/right until it is hilighted. Then, you must acknowledge you wish to move it, and then tell the menu system you are putting it somewhere.

All that for what a mouse can easily do with a simple click and drag.

Controllers ARE inferior, they have always been, it is just that the console generation has been bolstered to think they know any better. 

This post was edited by Tanix at March 4, 2019 1:07 PM PST
    • 303 posts
    March 4, 2019 9:29 PM PST

Hopefully they add it (or provide a decent enough way to make addons). Works well enough in FFXIV and in WoW with addons, no reason it wouldn't work in Pantheon.