Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

To Inspect or Not to Inspect: What Say You?

• 1434 posts
    May 5, 2016 6:32 PM PDT

Trying to explain the differences and virtues of a virtual world to someone who just wants another game, is a futile endeavor.

• 126 posts
    May 5, 2016 6:37 PM PDT

Jesus,  I can't believe anyone actually cares about this - one way or the other.

*Boggle*

• 1434 posts
    May 5, 2016 7:02 PM PDT

I don't think its so much the topic as the arguments being employed against it.

• 79 posts
    May 6, 2016 9:35 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

Trying to explain the differences and virtues of a virtual world to someone who just wants another game, is a futile endeavor.

I could not agree more. I believe that specific difference of interests lies at the heart of 90% of all disagreements on MMORPG forums.

Statistical data brought to you by PulledFromMyArse.com

This post was edited by GeekVerve at May 6, 2016 9:36 AM PDT
    • 232 posts
    May 6, 2016 11:07 AM PDT

GeekVerve said:

Dullahan said:

I could not agree more. I believe that specific difference of interests lies at the heart of 90% of all disagreements on MMORPG forums.

Nailed it.  Couldnt agree more. 

• 67 posts
    May 6, 2016 11:10 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

Indeed. It's especially so when dealing with someone who habitually, predictably, and often insultingly, tries to muddy/obfuscate terms into meaninglessness when others use them, only to turn around and assert their own definition as "the right one".

This post was edited by Wolfsong at May 6, 2016 11:11 AM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    May 6, 2016 11:21 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

This seems to be crux of the issue that we keep running into. This is why I say things like people don't "get it". 

• 1714 posts
    May 6, 2016 11:21 AM PDT

Wolfsong said:

Dullahan said:

Indeed. It's especially so when dealing with someone who habitually, predictably, and often insultingly, tries to muddy/obfuscate terms into meaninglessness when others use them, only to turn around and assert their own definition as "the right one".

Everyone just stop replying to him. 

• 106 posts
    May 6, 2016 11:51 AM PDT

GeekVerve said:

Dullahan said:

Can we have sigs yet?  Dullahan nailed it and then GV with the irrefutable stats.  It just clicks.  Some people want a game.  A great game, but a game.  Others want a virtual world that lives and breathes....(so to speak)

• 3237 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:08 AM PST

I would vote for an option to toggle the /inspect feature.  If someone wants to sit in town and show off their gear, great, the masses can inspect them and be awed by their greatness.  If someone wants to set their profile to be private, they should have that option as well.  The main reason I want the option to set it as private is so that competing players/guilds cannot check your gear during an encounter to see your setup.  I made another post about this that has since been closed as I wasn't aware of this one having already been started, but here is what I had to say.

The first MMO I ever played was EQOA, and there was a feature (or lackthereof) in that game that I would love to see brought back into MMO's.  Nowadays in most MMO's, when you see another character in the world, you can simply right click their character and inspect them.  This allows you to see all of the gear they are wearing.  In some instances this can be pretty cool because the less seasoned players can check out the veterans and drool over their amazing gear and get excited about advancing their own character.

In EQOA, there was no way to inspect other players.  The reason that this was so cool is that back in the day, little things like resistances could make a HUGE difference on how a fight would go.  I remember Siliskor that would lower the max HP of everybody in the raid.  Siliskor only dealt physical and poison damage.  The trick to fighting him was to stack as much AC (Armor Class), Agility (Dodge/Block%) and Poison Resist as possible since HP didn't make a difference due to the debuff.

There was a zone called Isle of Dread where all of the bosses did massive arcane damage.  I remember wearing full sets of crafted arcane jewelry that was surprisingly more effective for tanking than most other gear in the game.  While the zone bosses were running around 1 shotting most other tanks, I was able to play the meat shield with ease, mitigating much more damage than any other tank in the zone.  Had other players been able to inspect my character, they would have seen that wearing something as simple as crafted arcane jewelery could be a huge difference maker in how they should be handling their equipment for the zone.

I remember so many tanks asking me how I was able to tank so well, and I would tell them that I had the "Holy Girdle of Protection" equipped that reduced all damage received by 50%.  Now this was obviously back in a day where info sites didn't exist, and nobody could just cross reference a website and look up the item and see that I was fibbing.  They also couldnt look up a website that contained details about the arcane resistance and  how important it was.  What this meant is that I had a serious advantage over any other tank on my server for a long long time, and nobody could figure out how I was pulling it off.

Now I know we are in a new day and age and the odds of something like that happening again are slim to zero.  However, I would still like to propose that character /inspects are optional, per the preference of every player.  If someone wanted to show off their uber lootz while sitting in town, they would have the option to do so.  If someone wanted to set it to private and prevent the competition from analyzing their tactics, that would be an option as well.

What does everybody think?

• 319 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:12 AM PST

Inspect is always a nice thing to have. But as stated sometimes it is annoying and invades ones privacy. Some games have a choice of inspecting. Maybe if you put in the choice a player can turn off inspecting for him/her and others

• 308 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:26 AM PST

The only thing that ever bothered me about it is the so and so has inspected you spam otherwise i couldn't care less.

• 626 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:35 AM PST

1. Make it an option

2. Don't tell me if someone inspected me as I don't care if I have it enabled.

• 97 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:44 AM PST

I remember inspecting when I was still rather new at the game, and IIRC it didn't show stats - just the name of the item. So I would have to pull it up on Alla or something to see the stats. I think I pretty quickly learned that proper etiquette was to ask before inspecting, but I never cared when people inspected me. I considered it a compliment. And usually a random inspection was followed up a few seconds later by a tell asking what such-and-such was so I got to explain what it was, where it came from, how I came about owning it etc.

I say allow inpecting, and allow the option to toggle it off if a player doesn't want to accidently inspect others. My 2 cp.

• 231 posts
    January 5, 2017 8:27 AM PST

Quintra said:

I remember inspecting when I was still rather new at the game, and IIRC it didn't show stats - just the name of the item. So I would have to pull it up on Alla or something to see the stats. I think I pretty quickly learned that proper etiquette was to ask before inspecting, but I never cared when people inspected me. I considered it a compliment. And usually a random inspection was followed up a few seconds later by a tell asking what such-and-such was so I got to explain what it was, where it came from, how I came about owning it etc.

I say allow inpecting, and allow the option to toggle it off if a player doesn't want to accidently inspect others. My 2 cp.

I was in the middle of writing my own post and then read yours. It is mostly what I was writing lol.

Toggles I'd like:

Getting messages when others inspect you (they were annoying and gets rid of the etiquette thing).

Inspecting others (prevent accidental popups).

Perhaps showing stats on your gear or not. Though as Quintra said, I would usually find myself on allah or magelo all the time looking up gear.

Lastly, I don't think we should be able to completely turn off others inspecting us.

This post was edited by tanwedar at January 5, 2017 8:28 AM PST
    • 13 posts
    January 5, 2017 10:56 AM PST

i would love to have a inspect on gear but have on/off/flavor on each slot so you could hide the stats on a epic item or prevent looking at just the 1 or 2 item

• 2130 posts
    January 5, 2017 11:41 AM PST

This thread is still a thing?

• 97 posts
    January 5, 2017 12:02 PM PST

Liav said:

Somebody started a new thread and Kilsin directed us to post in this one instead of the new one. 

• 13 posts
    January 5, 2017 12:50 PM PST

Getting a good round of titters from the claims of imagined violation, thanks guys, wouldn't have caught onto this had this not been bumped. I guess I'd be embarrassed if I were to spot you inspecting my not so secret inflatable doll too. Ahem. Anyway. It wouldn't be so much a case of dressing down as it is picturing how I'd dress myself up.

I use inspection as a means to locate suitable glamours/appearance items. That is all. Oh, and to have an idea that X gear exists that has Y secondary stats so that I can draft up how I'd like to deck myself out to compliment my playstyle (if it doesn't already exist in a database entry). Not to gawk in awe.  So in saying that, I'm iffy about my inspection target receiving notification that I am looking at them too. I don't really want it to provoke them into some crotch-gyrating courtship ritual – unless I want it to...

As has been said already, and many a time, make it toggable. That's all there is to it to solve this bind. Don't want to be "appreciated"? Then that'll settle things for you. Or just don't bother with it at all. Does it really even need to be said in the first place? Why so sensitive...

… ...I can get quite possessive over a heavily mixed and matched glamour set, so that's when I'd opt to deny inspection if the option exists. XD Yeah, bit pot kettle black for sure. It's not like you can't figure it out though. I'd just take screenshots for ref to get around the "invasion of privacy block" on others while biding my time for when I did see the piece again and find out the exact name. Heck knows I still do it.

Down with the prudes! Says I. I'm just a little I though.

Now, if there was the topic of whether there'd be an /anon or toggable to switch you into invisible/offline status up for discussion, then you're talking. Just log off you say? No. Sometimes I just want to conduct myself in silence before I warm up to some banter, without being taken to be "rude". It was a godsend in games where I'd be listed near first as per alphabetical order AND I was a highly desired class (MT usually), too. Running around with /afk is a daft workaround. I'm not afk, I just don't feel like talking ri' now, a'ight? Right.

This post was edited by ThreeBeastSmile at January 5, 2017 12:57 PM PST
    • 1778 posts
    January 5, 2017 1:17 PM PST

Liav said:

My thoughts exactly. 

• 610 posts
    January 5, 2017 2:00 PM PST

ThreeBeastSmile said:

Getting a good round of titters from the claims of imagined violation, thanks guys, wouldn't have caught onto this had this not been bumped. I guess I'd be embarrassed if I were to spot you inspecting my not so secret inflatable doll too. Ahem. Anyway. It wouldn't be so much a case of dressing down as it is picturing how I'd dress myself up.

I use inspection as a means to locate suitable glamours/appearance items. That is all. Oh, and to have an idea that X gear exists that has Y secondary stats so that I can draft up how I'd like to deck myself out to compliment my playstyle (if it doesn't already exist in a database entry). Not to gawk in awe.  So in saying that, I'm iffy about my inspection target receiving notification that I am looking at them too. I don't really want it to provoke them into some crotch-gyrating courtship ritual – unless I want it to...

As has been said already, and many a time, make it toggable. That's all there is to it to solve this bind. Don't want to be "appreciated"? Then that'll settle things for you. Or just don't bother with it at all. Does it really even need to be said in the first place? Why so sensitive...

… ...I can get quite possessive over a heavily mixed and matched glamour set, so that's when I'd opt to deny inspection if the option exists. XD Yeah, bit pot kettle black for sure. It's not like you can't figure it out though. I'd just take screenshots for ref to get around the "invasion of privacy block" on others while biding my time for when I did see the piece again and find out the exact name. Heck knows I still do it.

Down with the prudes! Says I. I'm just a little I though.

Now, if there was the topic of whether there'd be an /anon or toggable to switch you into invisible/offline status up for discussion, then you're talking. Just log off you say? No. Sometimes I just want to conduct myself in silence before I warm up to some banter, without being taken to be "rude". It was a godsend in games where I'd be listed near first as per alphabetical order AND I was a highly desired class (MT usually), too. Running around with /afk is a daft workaround. I'm not afk, I just don't feel like talking ri' now, a'ight? Right.

Wow, you berate those who are offended by being inspected against their will (remember most saying that is from and RPG standpoint and this is a freaking RPG) but once you get a silly litte suit of appearnce items you want to be able to stop others from inspecting you...Yeah, pot meet kettle.

Edit: My whole argument against inspection to find out what so and so gear is....just send a tell, strike up a conversation, engage the community and maybe...just maybe make a new friend

This post was edited by Sevens at January 5, 2017 2:03 PM PST
    • 144 posts
    January 5, 2017 2:04 PM PST

I think the third person or so that posted nailed it.

Make it optional.

• 17 posts
    January 5, 2017 2:31 PM PST

Aw, memories. heh

I'm good with inspect as long as I can toggle on and off other people inspecting my character. Inspect was a big deal for reading bio RP char info, too. I found turning it off forced people to chat with me. Go forced communication! lol

I also insist (yes, I said that) that we are able to block websites from loading our character info without permission. Characters, equip, stats, achievements, alts, etc should be private by default.

• 610 posts
    January 5, 2017 2:36 PM PST

Saoirse said:

Aw, memories. heh

I'm good with inspect as long as I can toggle on and off other people inspecting my character. Inspect was a big deal for reading bio RP char info, too. I found turning it off forced people to chat with me. Go forced communication! lol

I also insist (yes, I said that) that we are able to block websites from loading our character info without permission. Characters, equip, stats, achievements, alts, etc should be private by default.

Agreed 100%

• 1618 posts
    January 5, 2017 4:05 PM PST

Liav said:

Once Liav has discussed a topic, it is considered resolved and no further discussion is necessary.

This post was edited by Beefcake at January 5, 2017 4:06 PM PST