Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

To Inspect or Not to Inspect: What Say You?

• 10 posts
    April 6, 2016 3:48 PM PDT

Inspect is nice. I love it.

Having a toggle for those who dont want to be inspected does not hurt i think.

• 176 posts
    April 6, 2016 4:56 PM PDT

I like inspecting. I would rather have it in game then in an external website.

• 1714 posts
    April 6, 2016 5:17 PM PDT

If you don't like being inspected, you're probably a snob, and I'll admit I remember getting uppity about this myself. Really what was annoying was people spam clicking you and filling a chat window. I think people were also afraid of this causing lag. 

• 2419 posts
    April 6, 2016 5:32 PM PDT

Zahlhedren said:

Optional toggle or not at all I would say.

This is all that is needed.  Give me a toggle and let me decide.  No need to have one unilateraly decision on something so insignificant affect everyone equally.

• 7 posts
    April 6, 2016 6:50 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

TheCleric said:

Zathris said: Awareness of being inspected by a chat box message is what drove the culture of asking for permission. In other games where inspection is silent, no one truly seems to be too bothered by someone being in close proximity it seems to me.

Agreed, add a toggle for the inspection notification instead. I can see a scenario where inspecting is needed as eventually there will be content that serves as a "gear check," and you'll want to know if that PUG cleric has enough gear to sustain healing through the fight.

I played EQ for over 5 years. Got Plane of Time flagged and did some high end Gates of Discord raids. Not once did I ever have to inspect someone to check their gear for a group.

Lucky you. I did all the same content. And I still like having the option. ;)

• 9115 posts
    April 6, 2016 8:58 PM PDT

In VG we had /anon and /inspect if you were /anon you couldn't be inspected, made life easy and in raids we used to ask people to remove /anon so we can check gear to build the raid appropriately and put them in the best group possible if their gear was subpar :)

• 128 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:55 PM PDT

I like checking gear. If only for the reason of being amazed what gear others have. I like checking out highlevel toons of my class to see where i could be going, what i may miss out on or whatever.

Srveral reasons why inspecting people can be good. After all you should be able to SEE what they have on them without inspecting anyways. Inspecting would simply give you the stats without looking it up on some wiki.

• 1 posts
    April 7, 2016 12:27 AM PDT

I'm all for inspecting. It's a fun part of the game when you stumble across someone with gear previously unknown to you. I agree it should have a toggle though.

• 781 posts
    April 7, 2016 12:58 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Zahlhedren said:

Optional toggle or not at all I would say.

This is all that is needed.  Give me a toggle and let me decide.  No need to have one unilateraly decision on something so insignificant affect everyone equally.

/ Agree

• 34 posts
    April 7, 2016 1:50 AM PDT

Depending on how raids work out, inspecting might be necessary.  I support it anyway.  I used to love seeing a cool item and inspecting the player's gear to see what it was.  Some games have an /anon feature if being inspected really bothers you.  Just don't expect an easy time in raids, especially if a wardrobe feature is implemented.  People will do all sorts of shady things to get a raid spot. 

As for the messasge, ehnh, I could take it or leave it.  Can't really see the point of having it honestly.  We don't get a pop-up on Google Glass everytime someone admires our fashionable running shoes either.

This post was edited by Wanderica at April 7, 2016 1:50 AM PDT
    • 18 posts
    April 7, 2016 2:26 AM PDT

I always enjoyed going to EC tunnel and sitting around and seeing how many people would inspect me.  Also answering questions about my gear.  Or checking out my group gear and letting them know about cool upgrades they could get.  I hope it's included.  I guess a toggle to prevent you from getting the message would be OK for those that feel slighted by people not asking to inspect.  Inspection became pointless after all the dyes and fluffy stuff to make any piece of gear look like something else.  I hope they don't have dyes for gear.  Be proud of your gear don't cover it with fake crap dyes to feel whole.  I remember some of the first NToV gear I saw, had they dyed it I would have never know what people had.  Old school troll masks were sweet!

This post was edited by Gorrax at April 7, 2016 2:27 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    April 7, 2016 2:27 AM PDT

Allow inspecting a person through right clicking on their nameplate (no need to stand directly next to the person). Do not give the person being inspected any text message...why bother them with that information in the first place? Is this really something that needs discussion?

I'm also very strongly against /anon or /roleplay. Player class/level information should never be hidden. If you don't want to be bothered by others then set your /afk flag or log off. The only thing I would support is hiding the current zone in the /who information.

• 45 posts
    April 7, 2016 7:26 AM PDT

Rint said:

I always found it funny that players want to show-off/gloat about their leet gear, but are offended if anyone inspects them…wth?!?!? I think the whole “I feel violated” is stretched a little thin with that nonsense, but each to their own I suppose. I remember when I first played EQ as a Ranger and I came upon a seasoned Ranger who was wearing all Thorny Armor and I was in awe… I quickly hit inspect to check it out and immediately got a tell from “Her” that it was rude not to ask if I could inspect her equipment… I thought to myself “it’s a freaking game get over yourself”…. In truth does it matter if a person has permission to inspect, and if so then what’s the whole point of collecting and showing off gear if a person is going to be secretive about it??? /shakes head….

I say leave inspect in without any silly toggle...

Rint I totally agree with you on this man.  If someone is inspecting you it is probably because they are curious over a piece of cool looking gear so they might know for themselves how they might get that sweet looking stuff.  I mean, its not like you are being personally invaded, its a game as you had said.  I like the feature from two perspectives, one so that if I see someone that is better geared than I or much higher level, I would like to be able to see what it is that they have as a personal goal for myself.  But also, I've always been flattered when someone inspected me.  

The only times I didnt really like it is if I got inspected and then that was followed up by, "Why are you wearing XXX gear?  You should be using XXX".  To me, inspecting for curiousity sake is fine, but its not fine if you are going to use it to question someone in a negative manner. "wow that is cool, how/where did you get it?" is totally acceptable.

• 74 posts
    April 7, 2016 7:54 AM PDT

I'm for it, and I really don't even see the need to put a toggle. This sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and while not difficult to implement would be a waste of time.

• 801 posts
    April 7, 2016 10:58 AM PDT

Yeah, its not a needed feature anymore. It would be better to link in chat the item you have. Inspect bothers some people. Also sites like Magelo where setup for people to track their gear.

Its free to manually add your gear to it. Guilds use it for mapping progress, or suggestions.

Inspect is more or less a waste of code these days.

• 793 posts
    April 7, 2016 12:23 PM PDT

True story:

I was maybe level 10 or 11 Paladin in EQ early days pre-kunark. 

I had accidentally inspected several players while stumbling around the EC tunnel, and several sent tells "It's Rude..blah blah" or "I don't appreciate blah blah". 

I later went and was killing stuff in zone solo, sit, heal, kill, sit heal ,kill...slow but steady. When I saw the "You Are Being Inspected...." message. My first reaction was what I had experienced, but I chose not too. Then I get a tell "You there" (I was just sitting in an out of the way spot), I answered "Yes". Next my trade window opens with  BBC (bone Bladed Claymore), and a tell says "I just snagged this in Befallen, looks like you could use it", think I was still using a Fine Steel Sword. Of coure my reply was "How Much?", to which he said "it's free, just pass it on when your done with it"

Wonder how it would have gone had I replied with the "It's rude" comment I had gotten several times that day. :)

This post was edited by Fulton at April 7, 2016 12:24 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    April 7, 2016 12:42 PM PDT
    Exploration, adventure, discovery, hell even curious nature drive me. So....... just saying ..... Im gonna look. Even if I know some think its rude, still gonna do it. Not to be an ass but because I will unconsciously do it because Im curious.And all I can say is if Im not supposed to do it then better not have it in game.

I think Brad makes a really excellent point too. As a low level player I often checked out gearof higher level players not only as a guide but also as a goal and for motivation. I think thats more important than to the community than being shy about your gear. Thats why I say just dont give a message so that way people cant allow themselves to be offended.

I once asked a player in FFXI why it was considered rude. It didnt make any sense to me. I was told it didnt matter if I understood or not but that I should treat it the same as a guy that would peep in a womens locker room. At that point I stopped listening........

And I will say that it is a double edged blade. On the one hand it can be used for something positive like Brad said. On the other hand it could be used for someone to make fun of your gear. Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. Accept the good and the bad.

• 128 posts
    April 7, 2016 12:52 PM PDT

Can we nail down why inspecting is an "issue" we have to talk about in the first place? Why are people offended if other people can see what they use? I personally don't see a reason why i would hide from other people. Worst case they spot something that i can easily improve and let me know.

• 133 posts
    April 7, 2016 1:01 PM PDT

I like the VG toggle a lot. Some anon players might be interested in telling you about their gear, and if so, they can always link it in chat.

When I was a noob in any game, but especially EQ, I used to inspect away. Some people didn't like it, so I started asking them first. Most players were really cool with it and readily gave me information about their gear. When I became high level myself, new players used to inspect me, and frankly, I felt pride over my hard earned stuff and players swooning over it, like I had. Inspecting is also one more way of getting people to interact with each other: "whoa, where did you get that!?". Love that.

• 122 posts
    April 7, 2016 3:17 PM PDT

I think if people want to be anon/RP, then it should hide the inspect feature. I also think that stats shouldn't be displayed without a link. Like, you should be able to see what an item is called, but that's it. (This is how EQ was when I played. You could see an item, but the user had to tell you the stats. Later links were added, which isn't a bad thing, but I liked that it was more like "yeah they have a Mithril BP on" and that was it).

Here's one thing I have REALLY missed in MMOs since: The bio! I loved having a little bio in my inspect window where I could say something about myself. 

I'd much rather have inspecting that 3rd party websites. I also never understood the "offense" of inspecting someone. That's... silly to say the least. As was said earlier, people love showing off, but want you to ask before they gloat? That's... a bit much.

• 79 posts
    April 10, 2016 11:53 AM PDT

I'm indifferent to it. Don't really care if people inspect me, don't use inspect much myself.

Yeah it can be used to be elitist or reasons to refuse people group or raid spots, but there's plenty of ways to do that anyway. Shortly after or before launch there'll be a page showing everyone's gear anyway.

What it doesn't show is the skill of the player.

On the EQ side, used to be handy because enough inspections on a player would crash them out. :) We had a guy fall asleep on a raid so we mass-inspected him out of the game so we could move on :)

• 37 posts
    April 29, 2016 1:06 AM PDT

Simple fix, let it be a toggle =)

• 2130 posts
    April 29, 2016 1:51 AM PDT

Rattenmann said:

Can we nail down why inspecting is an "issue" we have to talk about in the first place? Why are people offended if other people can see what they use? I personally don't see a reason why i would hide from other people. Worst case they spot something that i can easily improve and let me know.

I second this sentiment and I can honestly extend it to a lot of topics I see pop up.

Why are these things even worth discussing to begin with? They seem like trivial non-issues to me.

• 613 posts
    April 29, 2016 9:37 AM PDT

I like the toggle idea. 

• 106 posts
    April 29, 2016 11:23 AM PDT

Rattenmann said:

I don't think in this game it will be an issue. Far more benefits to detriments if you ask me.  A slow progressing game like this will undoubtedly require player skill far more than what gear you are using.(though lack of skill shows up if you are using INT gear as an AGI class) In other games, it's a precursor to "gearscore" where people become a number and player skill goes right out the window.