Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

CASH SHOP - Some ideas. Add yours, and concerns.

This topic has been closed.
    • 844 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:34 PM PDT

Quality and timely content takes money.

Modern games need to have multiple streams of revenue to stay fresh and viable.

That being said, I will state I am 100% happy with a cash shop as long as these guidelines are followed.

Aesthetic Only Please

• No gameplay advantage whatsoever
    • No potions or other consumable with any gameplay advantages
    • No items with Stats or benefits of any type. Cosmetic only.
    • No special stealth items.
    • No unique abilities like fly, walk on water, walk thru walls, weight reduction, etc.
    • No additional on-character storage advantage
    • No in-game selling/trading of cash shop items to other players
    • No RNG chests/boxes that might drop X, Y or Z.

Ok so now given what you can not have, what is left. 

Cash Shop Ideas

• Custom dyes? (not tradable) But if someone gives you an item to trade or craft you can dye it.
    • Maybe some premium dyes that do effects like gold, silver, particle effects, glowing, etc.
    • Extensive customization of outfits.
    • Particle effects on weapons, character, mounts, etc.
    • Custom Mounts
    • Aesthetic pets that others can turn off the visual for.
    • Custom Titles (but control the name silliness)
    • Custom mounts (no additional stats)
    • Custom house items of any and all nature.
    • House themes. Hansel Gretel, torture, rainbows and butterflys, goth, etc.
    • Collectible items that are only available for a month, on holidays, etc.
    • Custom masks/hats
    • Custom names for weapons.
    • A french maid(s) or butler(s) for the house.
    • House paint, furniture, pets, miniatures, etc, etc.
    • Housing items that are collectible meaning they are only around for a month then a new one is added.
    • A business sign for your house if you are a crafter or seller.
    • Customize appearance like hair, skin, etc.
    • Custom items/title for a guild/family/friends like a chevron or logo
    • The ability to gift to a friend cash shop items. Not the same as in-game trading.
    • Custom title for crafted items? Made by Grud the Dwarf kind of thing.
    • Tatoo’s? Piercings?
    • Custom Hair styles?
    • A fawning companion to follow you and praise your greatness? Ala Fallout 4.
    • The ability for players to turn off other players aesthetics.
    • Additional House and Bank storage. (not on-character storage)
    • Additional character slots
    • Register a custom coat of arms for you/family/guild/other. 

Other ideas that are just ideas.

• Maybe a special VIP tavern or Inn that you have to pay cash shop money to have access to.
    •   -Dev’s would periodically be in the tavern to answer questions, etc.
    •   -Play custom music.
    • Need more ideas

This post was edited by zewtastic at March 22, 2016 1:38 PM PDT
    • 844 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:37 PM PDT

Boo - looks like the CSS is not displaying my bullets.

• 644 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:38 PM PDT

Some of the most compelling motivators in EQ were for purely cosmetic items.....simply because they looked so cool.  

Once we could buy ornaments all that went away, so I have very mixed feelings about it.

I would prefer no cash shop at all, ever.  I would rather pay a big subscription price.

• 844 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:39 PM PDT

Those days are gone. We live in the age of FTP cash grabs by games that generate revenue by selling P2W schemes based on gambling and grinding.

• 180 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:56 PM PDT

If they are aesthetic, how about the ability to add scars, and perhaps even age your character over time, maybe with a level requirement with these purchases?

This post was edited by Thanakos at March 22, 2016 1:56 PM PDT
    • 174 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:58 PM PDT

FAQ's state game will not have cash shops, a stance I support.

• 409 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:10 PM PDT

No cash shops plx. >.< - I'd rather increase my subscription.

• 428 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:10 PM PDT

Zero cash shops none nadda Zilch.  Thjis game is DOA if they add it 

• 85 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:11 PM PDT

No. Please, just no. I do not support any shape or form of cash shop in an MMO of this style. Dyes especially. Good cosemetics should be achived through rare and/or difficult item drops.

• 1 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:26 PM PDT

Chimerical said:

FAQ's state game will not have cash shops, a stance I support.

This! No Cash Shop.

• 22 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:29 PM PDT
    I do not want a cash shop of any kind. I hate them.
    • 176 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:30 PM PDT

I am going to have to agree that I hate the cash shop option. I am not sure why all of the features mentioned above could not just be in the game for subscribers. I am not sure where this motivation to have cash shops comes from but perhaps if I understood that it might all make a little more sense. It seems to me from what I have read and heard that the guys here at VR are more intersted in making a game they will enjoy playing then they are trying to make the most popular game that would make the most money. I would easily pay the additional subscription fee to avoid it.

• 844 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:34 PM PDT

Just saying, if a decision comes of cash shop vs. a game sunsets due to low revenue, which do you choose. Not enough people will want to pay a "premium" fee? $30, $40, $50 per month?

• 1714 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:43 PM PDT

The game features and summary and game tenets are sticked at the top of this forum. 

• 130 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:46 PM PDT

No.  Not having a cash shop is actually one of the selling points of Pantheon.

• 67 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:48 PM PDT

My opinion: No cash shop.

Want to sell physical items? Shirts? Posters or Wall Scrolls? Mouse Pads? Mugs? Etc? Absolutely, I'll buy that stuff all day long.

Cash Shops are one of the things that have ruined the MMORPG genre, and continue to do so, as devs are finding more and more ways to integrate them.

Old-school MMOs did not require cash shops. They got by on building a loyal player base, and providing quality long-term content that kept people wanting to play, and pay (a sub) for months or even years. That's what the MMO should be built on. Not cash shop items, aesthetic or otherwise.

For myself, there are few things that would make me walk away from a MMORPG designed around old-school concepts/gameplay. I would walk away the minute I saw the announcement.

If it's in the game, it should be earned in the game, by playing the game.

This post was edited by Wolfsong at March 22, 2016 2:50 PM PDT
    • 288 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:58 PM PDT

Wolfsong said:

My opinion: No cash shop.

Want to sell physical items? Shirts? Posters or Wall Scrolls? Mouse Pads? Mugs? Etc? Absolutely, I'll buy that stuff all day long.

Cash Shops are one of the things that have ruined the MMORPG genre, and continue to do so, as devs are finding more and more ways to integrate them.

Old-school MMOs did not require cash shops. They got by on building a loyal player base, and providing quality long-term content that kept people wanting to play, and pay (a sub) for months or even years. That's what the MMO should be built on. Not cash shop items, aesthetic or otherwise.

For myself, there are few things that would make me walk away from a MMORPG designed around old-school concepts/gameplay. I would walk away the minute I saw the announcement.

If it's in the game, it should be earned in the game, by playing the game.

Motion is seconded, resolution is adopted.  Meeting adjourned.

• 384 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:59 PM PDT

I know Kilsin kinda contradicted this yesterday and left the door open for the possibility of cash shop in some sense but: FAQ relating to cash shops

Pantheon will not be ‘freemium’ or have ‘cash shops’ -- building your character and advancing in-game will be based on time invested and tactics used, not on how much money the player has in real life.

Now, if it comes down to the survivabilty of the game vs whether or not there is a cash shop then I could live with a cash shop with limited number of fluff items but I wouldn't use it. Personally, I agree with most of y'all. I don't like them, don't think it's necessary and would prefer to pay more. Maybe I'm in the minority but I kinda doubt it.

• 124 posts
    March 22, 2016 3:00 PM PDT

I never paid any attention to shops in the games I've played that have had them, so in my eyes it's players choice to buy something or make use of the store.

I think it's more a Developers choice in this area as I've never really been interested in pay to win type of games anyhow. The games themselves never interested me.

When I choose to play a game or not, it's always come down to the game and if it's a good time or not. Whether or not there was a store didn't make my decision for me.

If the store adds to the game and doesn't break my immersion, then I really don't even notice, so in contrast if it breaks the illusion and effects the game play, then it's no fun and I don't play.

That's where my vote comes

This post was edited by Nuemcy at March 22, 2016 3:05 PM PDT
    • 89 posts
    March 22, 2016 3:06 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Quality and timely content takes money.

Modern games need to have multiple streams of revenue to stay fresh and viable.

False.  Server costs today, after adjusting for inflation, are actually cheaper than they were in 1999.  Meaning that if we simply adjust the cost of a subscription for inflation, a company would see a larger % profit per subscriber.  Since 1999 we've seen about 43% inflation, meaning a $15 fee then would equate to roughly $21 today.  I seriously doubt anyone here would be bothered by a $20 - $25 per month fee.  Though $25 would probably be pressing the envelope on acceptable for the population at large.

zewtastic said:

Those days are gone. We live in the age of FTP cash grabs by games that generate revenue by selling P2W schemes based on gambling and grinding.

And this affects Pantheon in what way?  The games that dry up are the cheaply made/maintained FTP cash grabs (emphasis on the cash grab), not the solid, well built and maintained games with subscriptions (and also sometimes superflous cash shops).  Last time I checked both EVE Online and WoW were doing fine; and while both of these games have a cash shop, I'd hardly call it a cash grab.

zewtastic said:

Just saying, if a decision comes of cash shop vs. a game sunsets due to low revenue, which do you choose. Not enough people will want to pay a "premium" fee? $30, $40, $50 per month?

Sunset.  It might sound harsh, but it is better to die as a hero than become a villian.

• 194 posts
    March 22, 2016 3:15 PM PDT

Gurt said:

Sunset.  It might sound harsh, but it is better to die as a hero than become a villian.

Hear, hear.

• 58 posts
    March 22, 2016 3:23 PM PDT

No cash shop please.  I can see the appeal of appearance gear, but everything should be attainable in game.

• 6 posts
    March 22, 2016 3:31 PM PDT

Please no cash shop. I respect the ideas but I really want to play a game without a cash shop.

• 1714 posts
    March 22, 2016 3:35 PM PDT

Not go be that guy, but come on people, the answer to this question is documented and publicly validated by the dev team. I'm glad we all agree, no cash shop, but it doesn't matter if we didn't, there will not be a cash shop. 

• 11 posts
    March 22, 2016 4:05 PM PDT

I hate most cash shops but if the devs ever change their mind I think Elder Scrolls Online has the best answer. The store has mostly fluff items, with some account boosts but nothing I consider unfair and as a bonus you can pay a sub to have access to all DLC without having to pay the purchase price AND you get a monthly stipend of game store cash.