Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 428 posts
    February 4, 2016 8:28 AM PST

So who would like to see  Mounts in the game.  Horse, wolves, crazy dead horse skeletons??  List hwat type of personal mount you would like to see 

• 105 posts
    February 4, 2016 8:55 AM PST
    Ehhh, not sure how much I care to see them. If they make it in game I hope they are somewhat burdensome. Maybe have travel speed greatly increased but I don't think they should travel around with you in a backpack, you should be forced to stable them or else they wander off in the zone. And you will have to pay that ranger or druid to track it. If you can't find after 1 or 2 days poof it's gone go buy another one. Making the ranger and druid more naturally gifted for horse travel within zones, maybe even give the ranger a skill or spell to call their mount back. Just an idea...
    • 105 posts
    February 4, 2016 9:00 AM PST
    By doing this you aren't making sow like abilities worthless, but now you have a good option for taking on that grand journey across the continent. Making Sow more of a intra zone or 1 or 2 zone travel buff I also hope mounts would have hp and could die.
    • 1778 posts
    February 4, 2016 9:33 AM PST
    Im probably the odd one but Id prefer no mounts. Im good with limited movement speed buffs and some class specific teleport spells.
    • 308 posts
    February 4, 2016 9:45 AM PST

I am not in favor of mounts.  Teleport spells, speed buffs, etc. and even something akin the horse routes in DAoC; you could ride a mount to one of the areas with a connecting area (not always a straight line from point A to B), it allowed for AFK travel but not really quick travel so it didn't feel like the world became smaller.

• 1714 posts
    February 4, 2016 9:54 AM PST

Not a fan of mounts but don't feel super strongly about it. Mounts seem like something they could implement in a way I'd like even though i don't know what that way is right now. /shrug

• 116 posts
    February 4, 2016 10:17 AM PST

I'd like ground mounts but no flying. Flying makes it too easy to avoid the world.

As for types, I like armored bears or raptors.

I think sow(or similar spell) would keep it's use as a kitting enabling spell and as an escape plans. Mounts should replace SoW pots, which in comparison to EQ, would reinforce the need for sow casters. Finally, also think mount skins make for great semi-rare reward in dungeons, collecting all would encourage some player to visit miss content (or re-visit some). IMO, collectible stuff is often a nice break from chasing exp or currency.

• 109 posts
    February 4, 2016 10:44 AM PST

I'm fine with mounts but I'd like to see them quested, easier quests + slower mounts etc AND I do not want to see 10000 types of mounts. Horse, Wolf, Bear? Sure, but for my sanities sake please dont make a mounts out of every possible thing in game. Hoverboards, spiders, MECHANICAL spiders....please lord no.

Garmr

• 105 posts
    February 4, 2016 11:13 AM PST

Amsai said: Im probably the odd one but Id prefer no mounts. Im good with limited movement speed buffs and some class specific teleport spells.

You are the minority, but this game is trying to appeal to that minority.  The majority wants an assortment of mounts, all tiered with different skins because the majority has ADD and will get bored if their mount doesn't change throughout the game.  And it has to be easily accessable and convient to use, clicky mount.  I'm fine with one, thought out, mount system that creates an alternative to Teleporting or running it out, but doesnt have the speed or cost associated with a TP and also isnt as convient as just walking from point A to point C, mounting could mean, you may have run to point A to grab a mount to point B and run to point C.  If that can't be done then I would rather see no mounts.  I don't care if they are player controlled mounts like I suggested or as another poster mentioned an automated system, but please no EQ2 gimick insta speed bonus hiding behind a mount image for everyone.  I'd be fine if summoners or some class had an ability to summon temporary mounts, that are basically speed buffs.  But this type of spell shouldn't be available to everyone to cast.

This post was edited by geatz at February 4, 2016 11:17 AM PST
    • 116 posts
    February 4, 2016 1:03 PM PST

Were you opposed to Jboots as well? They fit exactly your description of the mount you don't want.

• 1778 posts
    February 4, 2016 1:08 PM PST
    Im myself am ok with gear that boosts speed (though they should be the exception not the rule). Just not mounts.
    • 51 posts
    February 4, 2016 1:37 PM PST

Mekada said:

Were you opposed to Jboots as well? They fit exactly your description of the mount you don't want.

I mean Jboots were awesome but they were only the equivalent of AA run speed, they were not as fast as SoW.  I think a reiteration of mounts from EQ would be OK.  Being able to med while standing was an amazing ability, and you were only actually fast if you spent quite a lot on a mount.  I would hate to see an easy alternative to asking people for buffs.  A big part of a social MMO is trying to find someone to cast a spell on you that will allow you to do something.  Removing the need to find buffs will just result in less player interaction.

• 428 posts
    February 4, 2016 1:58 PM PST

Chaj said:

Mekada said:

I mean Jboots were awesome but they were only the equivalent of AA run speed, they were not as fast as SoW.  I think a reiteration of mounts from EQ would be OK.  Being able to med while standing was an amazing ability, and you were only actually fast if you spent quite a lot on a mount.  I would hate to see an easy alternative to asking people for buffs.  A big part of a social MMO is trying to find someone to cast a spell on you that will allow you to do something.  Removing the need to find buffs will just result in less player interaction.

and adding to many classes that buff things players wants leads to severe class inbalances.  WTB/WTS player buffs PST does not need to make a comeback

This post was edited by Kalgore at February 4, 2016 1:59 PM PST
    • 116 posts
    February 4, 2016 2:02 PM PST

I still think sow would be useful for combat and indoor situations, but if you really need to encourage players to get sow, let some % of it stack with mounts. The nice thing with mounts, aside from the collectible aspect, is to even out the field a bit between melee and casters when it comes to travel. Let's face it, melee & knights usually get screwed travel wise with lack of speed buffs, teleports, gate, etc.

• 428 posts
    February 4, 2016 2:09 PM PST

Mekada said:

I still think sow would be useful for combat and indoor situations, but if you really need to encourage players to get sow, let some % of it stack with mounts. The nice thing with mounts, aside from the collectible aspect, is to even out the field a bit between melee and casters when it comes to travel. Let's face it, melee & knights usually get screwed travel wise with lack of speed buffs, teleports, gate, etc.

Exactly us poor tank classes get punched in the face over and over and on top of it we gotta walk all the way with our heavy armor.

• 51 posts
    February 4, 2016 2:41 PM PST

Kalgore said:

Mekada said:

Exactly us poor tank classes get punched in the face over and over and on top of it we gotta walk all the way with our heavy armor.

That is very interesting.  I play a tank and I have never been in a group where they did not want to assist me in getting to where I need to be.  SoW indoors sounds wierd.  I think that traveling mounts is the gateway to fast travel.  We may as well just ask for the Plane of Knowledge and not need to travel anymore.

• 232 posts
    February 4, 2016 2:43 PM PST

I would be OK with basic ground mounts, but feel they should come at a later level or later expansion.  Travel should be risky, and other players should be providing buffs like SoW to aide in travel.  Porting via wizard or druid would be a great addition as well.

If mounts are implemented, I do NOT want to see:

1. Immersion-breaking mounts (i.e harley davidsons, rockets, etc)

2. Mounts that trivialize and remove risk from travel (this includes flying mounts)

3. Free mounts at lvl 10 or another early stage of the game.

4. Mounts that allow meditation without NPC aggro as we saw in EQ1.  I always felt this was cheap, and made a mounts a massive benefit for healers early in the game.  If you couldnt pay the price, you were second rate.  At the same time, passing out free mounts to everyone is not the solution either.

• 378 posts
    February 4, 2016 2:46 PM PST

I like mounts in MMO’s but think they have been implemented incorrectly in the past.

-They should be either expensive or hard to get, not given at level 2 for 1 silver

-They should be able to be modified  i.e Vanguard with saddles, shoes and bags etc

-They should not have unlimited speed, sprint or distance, my idea would be once it runs for ( X ) amount of time or distance the mount needs to rest for ( X) amount of time before use, this allows the player to think twice before jumping on their mount and the mount becomes a more situational use rather than just an everyday speed buff.

-Don’t go stupid with models, keep them different but within reason, no giant dragons the size of the moon that can’t fly etc.

-Mount’s give players something to achieve or aspire to other than gear at higher levels

• 1095 posts
    February 4, 2016 3:12 PM PST

Zandil said:

I like mounts in MMO’s but think they have been implemented incorrectly in the past.

-They should be either expensive or hard to get, not given at level 2 for 1 silver

-They should be able to be modified  i.e Vanguard with saddles, shoes and bags etc

-They should not have unlimited speed, sprint or distance, my idea would be once it runs for ( X ) amount of time or distance the mount needs to rest for ( X) amount of time before use, this allows the player to think twice before jumping on their mount and the mount becomes a more situational use rather than just an everyday speed buff.

-Don’t go stupid with models, keep them different but within reason, no giant dragons the size of the moon that can’t fly etc.

-Mount’s give players something to achieve or aspire to other than gear at higher levels

I agree, they should be just like the jboots and other speed enchancing items, take a while to get. 

I think a cooldown on its usage would allow the spells and skills of the classes to not become trivial.

I really could do without mounts. Looking back on Wilds End video, are they even building the  zones with big enough doors for the character models on a horse to go thru without clipping.

Also with the carry a whistle around in your pocket and then summoning the mount anywhere at will is bad. Maybe there are stables in areas that keep mounts and the further you are away from that stable the longer time it would take the mount to appear. Also if you unmount, and dismiss the mount ti will go back to the last stable until you move it from stable to the closer one. Kinda like a bind spell for a mount. Also mounts should be able to die if they are able to be aquired easy like buying one from a merchant, versus a magical mount, on death can have a long reuse timer but it will come back eventually. Would make those more diserable.

I don't know, I rather just not have f'in mounts. But I think in the FAQ or somewhere I saw there were going to be mounts.

This post was edited by Aich at February 4, 2016 3:14 PM PST
    • 105 posts
    February 4, 2016 3:19 PM PST
    Not exactly the same, the jboots were boots with lore not a horse i farted into existence after i clicked an image of a sadle. I would be okay with jboots if the quest was on par with vanilla EQ. If the quest is created so that only 10% of the server will ever realistically attain the item then I am okay with it. I don't want to see everyone running around with the thing.
    • 428 posts
    February 4, 2016 3:22 PM PST

So you are in a world with magic and monsters and you cant buy a magic whistle that summons a horse?

• 105 posts
    February 4, 2016 3:58 PM PST

I never saw one for sale in Middle Earth lore.

This post was edited by geatz at February 4, 2016 3:59 PM PST
    • 1714 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:08 PM PST

Kalgore said:

So you are in a world with magic and monsters and you cant buy a magic whistle that summons a horse?

Explaining away everything with "it's magic" is a slippery slope. Why not summon a harley davidson? 

• 378 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:12 PM PST

Another way to handle mounts would be the stable way, you still have to earn your mount but it is kept in a stable in towns, you go to the stable,  take your mount out and use it.  But once you get off the mount it runs off back to the stable.  Again it makes the mount a more situational use.

This post was edited by Zandil at February 4, 2016 4:16 PM PST
    • 116 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:19 PM PST

Krixus said:

Explaining away everything with "it's magic" is a slippery slope. Why not summon a harley davidson? 

No one is explaining everything with magic. Summoning stuff will most likely make sense since there is a whole class with the title summoner. Harley Davidsons (probably) won't exist in the game lore,summoning one or accessing it in a stable wouldn't change that.