Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 107 posts
    July 25, 2018 5:58 PM PDT

Barin999 said:

alephen said:

Predator animals can be tamed using selective breeding techniques. We have done this with cats and dogs, both predators.

In Russia they are doing this with foxes.

Bears may be more difficult due to not being pack animals, but not because of being predators.

Give a family of intrepid Ogres 100 years and viola: full-sized, living teddy bears.

Note that there is a difference between breeding animals, taming an animal and domestication of a species. Certainly ingame breeding could be a thing. Perhaps breeding your own pedigre of mounts could be very big. Potentially.

I do see a lot of opportunities in companion pets, but for mounts that's something different. At least for me that is.

My point is that Ogres could have domestiated bears for riding the same as humans did horses. They could have literal herds of bears, or boars, or panthers, or hippogriffs, or chimerae, or.....

There is absolutely no reason (besides 'I don't want mounts period, ever!') Ogres could not have domesticated a species. Being that several worlds are combined, is it really more likely that all species happened to domestica the same animal on each of these 3 planets? Is it really more likley that no species had though it a good idea to domestic any species? 

EDIT: The large predators example above is apples to oranges. They are tamed animals, which means wild but taught to behave. That is very different than domesticated animals as I am suggesting, which are bred to changed the underlying instincts. This fact makes the idea of having a tamed pet bear more dangerous by far then would be a domesticated work bear.

This post was edited by alephen at July 25, 2018 6:07 PM PDT
    • 168 posts
    July 25, 2018 7:22 PM PDT

Kalok said:

Porygon said:

Kalok said:

I can answer that from my perspective...

Prey animals are typically mounts.  Horses, emus, yaks, et al.  Using a large predator as a mount, you're just as likely to be eaten as large predators don't domesticate well.  Complex mechanical devices (mounts and weapons in this case) have no place in a "high fantasy" game in my opinion.

I get the "prey" animal aspect.  But is it crazy to think that over time, a race of huge humanoid(ogres) could domesticate bears?

Given how often even "trained" (I won't use the term domesticated) large predatory animals (i.e. bears, lions, tigers, et al) turn on their trainers/owners and eat them, and given that Ogres, like Humans, Gnomes, Elves, et al, are made of tasty tasty meat, in my opinion, yes.  In addition, fictional predatory animals such as Griffons, Hipogriffs, Dragons, et al have a reputation for being proud creatures.  It feels like that "pride" wpould stand in the way of them allowing themselves to be domesticated, much less mounted and ridden.

Let's take this another direction and see what we step in. Is there a class in Pantheon that can tame animals? If so, it's not a huge leap to assume bad guys (NPCS) can also. So, if you wish to ride a lion or other predator and an NPC casts some form of charm on your pet... well it's your own damn fault for riding something that isn't a herd animal. I just don't see the use in being overly restrictive toward the concept of only "realism" in a fantasy MMO, but I do see the use of there being negative posibilities involved with your choice of "unrealism". You want to ride a Chimera? .. great, deal with consequences if you run across the wrong wandering mob. To the notion of mechanical devices, not a fan of steampunk or dwarves with blunderbusters etc etc.