Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 1095 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:20 PM PST

Zandil said:

Another way to handle mounts would be the stable way, you still have to earn your mount but it is kept in a stable in towns, you go to the stable,  take your mount out and use it.  But once you get off the mount it runs off back to the stable.  Again it makes the mount a more situational use.

I'm not sure if you read my post above but I suggested that. That, with mounts can die and a delay in the actual appearence of the mount, would let classes with travel spells still be effective as they can cast, say SoW and take off not wait 1-5 minutes for a horse to show up.

Unless the SoW buff is always faster then a mount, or if its like top level mount, an epic quest or raid drop rare etc, there needs to be restrictions as I mentioned.

This post was edited by Aich at February 4, 2016 4:31 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:31 PM PST

We have answered this in our FAQ guys, it is always worth checking as we update it often ;)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q8 (Mounts)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q9 (Flying Mounts)

• 1095 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:34 PM PST

Kilsin said:

We have answered this in our FAQ guys, it is always worth checking as we update it often ;)

Yeah I mention that in my eariler post.

But most of us are talking about/concerned about the balance and trivilizing class base travel buffs compared to mounts. Being a social game the best option should always be wth a real life player or a item that comes from an social event and teamwork like an raid, or epic quests.

Pledge and veteran rewards excluded of course. :)

This post was edited by Aich at February 4, 2016 4:35 PM PST
    • 51 posts
    February 4, 2016 5:04 PM PST

Kilsin said:

And in this corner we have Kilsin.

http://i.imgur.com/t9dpvog.gif

• 208 posts
    February 4, 2016 6:41 PM PST

I dont think it is so binary as some want to make it out to be. Mounts don't have to either be so fast that they make travel too easy or make transportation spells useless. There are plenty of ways to have them be useful additions to the game. I have never felt like regular mounts trivialize other parts of any game I have ever played.

• 9115 posts
    February 4, 2016 6:48 PM PST

Aich said:

Kilsin said:

Yeah I mention that in my eariler post.

But most of us are talking about/concerned about the balance and trivilizing class base travel buffs compared to mounts. Being a social game the best option should always be wth a real life player or a item that comes from an social event and teamwork like an raid, or epic quests.

Pledge and veteran rewards excluded of course. :)

Yes, you alluded to the FAQ possibly having the answer but I wanted to direct people straight to the answers with links and throw in a friendly reminder that many answers can be found there ;)

Any mounts we have will be balanced appropriately with spells, abilities and travel, the last thing we want to do is ruin travel in our own game so I am not sure why people even consider the possibility of this being the case.

EQ and VG in the early days are both good examples of ground mounts being lore friendly and giving a slight boost to speed, while not breaking immersion or being OP. We will be adopting a similar system.

• 9115 posts
    February 4, 2016 6:49 PM PST

Chaj said:

Kilsin said:

Hahaha! You're too funny man ;)

• 9115 posts
    February 4, 2016 6:52 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

I dont think it is so binary as some want to make it out to be. Mounts don't have to either be so fast that they make travel too easy or make transportation spells useless. There are plenty of ways to have them be useful additions to the game. I have never felt like regular mounts trivialize other parts of any game I have ever played.

Exactly, great point mate.

There have been some games that mounts just make everything OP or give you the ability to skip content but that is not the case in EQ or VG, games which we are basing Pantheon on, so there really is nothing to worry about for anyone with concerns, we also have Alpha and Beta to test these things, make any necessary changes and balance them out before release.

• 1778 posts
    February 4, 2016 8:31 PM PST
    I just have an unreasonable dislike of mounts........ somehow reminds me of pets....... which reminds me of pet classes....... which I cant stand........ yea i know its weird. Sure made traveling in some games a hell lol.
    • 208 posts
    February 4, 2016 8:45 PM PST

Amsai said: I just have an unreasonable dislike of mounts........ somehow reminds me of pets....... which reminds me of pet classes....... which I cant stand........ yea i know its weird. Sure made traveling in some games a hell lol.

Now point on the doll where the dog bit you. lol

• 1434 posts
    February 5, 2016 4:11 AM PST

I'd like to see mounts that die or become injured, and mobs that are smart enough to knock you off. Nothing worse than seeing a new game where a player can run straight through a camp of baddies without fear of being knocked off and slaughtered.

I feel like ArcheAge did it right with having stables. If your mount was injured, you were no longer able to ride it until you took it to a stable to be healed.

This post was edited by Dullahan at February 5, 2016 4:12 AM PST
    • 149 posts
    February 5, 2016 6:26 AM PST

I do love mounts. Gives me something to collect and some prestige for hard to come by mounts.

• 1778 posts
    February 5, 2016 9:15 AM PST
    @Bluefrye

Too funny! But seriously....... I cant point there its embarassing!
    • 158 posts
    February 5, 2016 11:52 AM PST

Amsai said: Mount stuff

Makes me curious if you didn't like the chocobos in xi.

This post was edited by Mephiles at February 5, 2016 11:52 AM PST
    • 1778 posts
    February 5, 2016 1:04 PM PST
    Actually while I find them loveable I didnt want to use them unless LS leader made me ^o^
    • 9115 posts
    February 5, 2016 5:12 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I'd like to see mounts that die or become injured, and mobs that are smart enough to knock you off. Nothing worse than seeing a new game where a player can run straight through a camp of baddies without fear of being knocked off and slaughtered.

I feel like ArcheAge did it right with having stables. If your mount was injured, you were no longer able to ride it until you took it to a stable to be healed.

I actually had a very detailed post on this that got caught up in the archived threads, basically suggesting mounts would require food/water, can die if taken into or close to combat, cost a very high amount to purchase a new one or a very long and challenging quest line and they all start out as fowls (if a horse) and need to be raised and cared for before they could be ridden, forming a bond early on which would teach people to care for them or lose them and suffer greatly. (similar to ArchAge but more time consuming and difficult/expensive)

• 208 posts
    February 5, 2016 5:19 PM PST

Just one request. Please no reputation grinds for mounts. They are boring. If you want to have mounts of prestige, then let it be the result of epic questlines. 

• 9115 posts
    February 5, 2016 5:45 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

Just one request. Please no reputation grinds for mounts. They are boring. If you want to have mounts of prestige, then let it be the result of epic questlines. 

Oh, what I posted isn't what we are going with, it was my idea/suggestion back when I was a community member and that is what I wanted to see implemented. I am not sure if you remember the faction mounts in VG but some of them were ok and took a long time to get but I agree, for the most part, I would rather a specific and challenging quest line introducing us to mounts and at the end giving you a baby version that needed to be raised with the risk of it dying if not cared for or killed by an Npc but this is just my opinion, it is not officially speaking. 

• 208 posts
    February 5, 2016 5:52 PM PST

I was really just speaking in general. I just think rep grinds are lazy content and thought it was a good time to say so. :p

• 126 posts
    February 6, 2016 2:02 AM PST

Chaj said:

Hahahaha oh man I nearly spilled my coffee and ruined my laptop. This was so awesome :D

And on topic, I like that there are mounts. I probably like the visuals of riding one more than the runspeed coming with it (strange, I know). Because of that, I hope that mounts dont overly scale to race sizes. If my halfling has the means of riding a wild boar of 150 kilogramme for example, and its mount makes *plop* and is suddenly half its size and renders cute because of me as rider, then hmm!

But the other hand, if one of the giant size races like Ogre would choose a much smaller mount and it wouldn't scale a bit upwards, then the poor Ogre would be the laugh of the town probably.

This post was edited by Duffy at February 6, 2016 2:16 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 6, 2016 2:23 AM PST

Bluefyre said:

I was really just speaking in general. I just think rep grinds are lazy content and thought it was a good time to say so. :p

I am curious as to why you think they are a result of lazy content man?

I actually like them in the sense they promote player interaction and communication, meeting new people with a common goal, decent reward at the end in most cases (even if it's a title and a 1% buff of some sort) and the respect of others who don't have the patience/determination to stick it out etc. and in a game like Pantheon, they actually fit in very well, as they did in EQ and VG. Some of my best memories are of grinding out faction content in VG and other games with friends, PUG members, guildies ;)

• 366 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:42 AM PST

Different people like different playstyles. I like faction grinds. It can be social because you do not have to worry if everyone is on the same stage of a quest or not.

I was very proud of my Order of the Rime Icemare mount in EQ2(quest grind if I remember correctly) - nothing looked like it or had it's speed.  It was really special...until the cash shop mounts came in abundance and they normalized speeds   (laughing on the outside - but crying on the inside). 

It will be interesting to see if the Taurokian Warhorse (kickstarter pledge reward) is still in Pantheon and how/if it will be obtained/unlocked.

This post was edited by Zarriya at February 6, 2016 4:04 AM PST
    • 208 posts
    February 6, 2016 4:31 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

I am curious as to why you think they are a result of lazy content man?

I actually like them in the sense they promote player interaction and communication, meeting new people with a common goal, decent reward at the end in most cases (even if it's a title and a 1% buff of some sort) and the respect of others who don't have the patience/determination to stick it out etc. and in a game like Pantheon, they actually fit in very well, as they did in EQ and VG. Some of my best memories are of grinding out faction content in VG and other games with friends, PUG members, guildies ;)

Ok let me break what you said down then I will go into detail.

First off. It is lazy content because it takes the least amount of effort by the developers to create and is meant to just keep players occupied.

Now about promoting interaction and communication. That happens naturally regardless of being on a rep grind. You can have the exact same interactions on an epic quest line to get that mount that isn't watching numbers slowly rising. 

Respect and prestige. You can get the same respect of others from getting that mount, title, or buff from, again, an e quest line that required teamwork, travel, exploration, and rising above challenges.

Now, with the breakdown out of the way, let me go into some details of exactly what I mean. Let's use Vanguard as it is an example you are familiar with. Can you honestly tell me that grinding out rep to ride a beetle was more fun and prestigious than getting the Shadowhound or Unicorn? What about the Griffon and Wyvern? These were rewards that were way more interesting to obtain as far as I am concerned. Obtaining things from epic quest lines can require all the same interactions as a rep grind, with the same respect and prestige, but are obtained through actual content that can let you experience more challenge, visual stimulation from exploration, and experience more lore on top of the social interaction aspects.

Now I understand that people like different things and I'm not trying to **** on anyone's chosen play style, but I just have a very hard time believing that rep grinds are anything other than quick content to keep players busy or that they are the reason for any interactions that could not be experienced in more challenging and fun ways. I hope I made myself clear as I am typing his after being awake for 24 hours. :-/

Addendum: Let me be clear that I am in fact not asking for the game to be nothing but quest hubs and no grinding. Just saying so that the word quest doesn't trigger anyone and make them jump to conclusions and think I am trying to turn the game into WoW. 

This post was edited by Bluefyre at February 6, 2016 4:58 AM PST
    • 110 posts
    February 6, 2016 9:01 AM PST

I don't mind faction grinds for different rewards BUT I would like to see more varying ways of earning the faction rep you're after.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:51 PM PST

Kalgore said:

So who would like to see  Mounts in the game.  Horse, wolves, crazy dead horse skeletons??  List hwat type of personal mount you would like to see 

Ah man, sorry, but I have to be kinda vague again.  We will have horses at some point, and hopefully (probably post-launch) other types of 'vehicles' like ships and such.  I'm really passionate about extending your characters ability to travel, to store things, to reach certain areas.  I really have a grand-vision here that we weren't able to fully realize in earlier MMOs that I definitely want to see happen with Pantheon.  

Where I have to be vague though is to what degree this 'grand system' will be implemented at launch.  It's just too early to say.  I'm sure you guys want every cool feature possible, and honestly so do I, but then reality comes butting in and, especially with MMOs, you have to be patient and take advantage of the fact that they will continue to expand and grow after launch.  

As soon as we know more, we'll try to let you know.