Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Leaderboards and Player Statistics

• 2756 posts
    March 22, 2018 2:24 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Knowing your DMG capabilities can help - and be fun.

That does look fun

• 50 posts
    March 22, 2018 5:28 PM PDT

I'm all for it as long as people that aren't have a way to toggle it off. A lot of people are proud of their achievements and like to show them off whether it be academic, sports, hobbies, work etc. Gaming is no different and I would use the site. I'd like to have it record server firsts like how Vanguard would announce server firsts for all sorts of stuff like crafting. 

This post was edited by Zazzaro at March 22, 2018 5:40 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    March 22, 2018 5:44 PM PDT

I really liked the Magelo site.

• 801 posts
    March 23, 2018 3:49 AM PDT

Probally best we dont alienate the players anymore. Would take us back to grouping more if we do not have any stats but how well you do, how well you perform, and if people like you or not.

DPS meters great for figuring stuff out but lets not include it anymore.... allow people to feel out the best players.

Looking to deep into it, took Newbie player to elite by dps... we ended up mashing buttons with hotbars and it is rather boring. /spam spells 1+2+3 rinse and repeat to all in the guild.... then we mashed out group ones too.

Not sure we really need this anymore as it did show how to alienate people from EQ very quickly. Pretty much where it all started.

So let me say this again, want a group game again? remove dps stats, and anything that will alienate players... Except for gold farmers and spammers they all can rot LMAO

(edit) I know many will not agree with me, because they may have been mind set into EQ-Wow-Rift etc.. that button mashed so long that it became a normal to stats press players, but if you REALLY want to have a grouping game again, allow players to become good by how well they perform in a group, then invite to the guild and grow from there... Otherwise like i was saying it will turn out to be a stats, key pressing, utimate button mashing game that will follow the wrong path again.

This post was edited by Crazzie at March 23, 2018 3:54 AM PDT
    • 34 posts
    March 23, 2018 5:01 AM PDT

I hate DPS meters too but that is nothing to do with Leaderboards the way I've known it anyway.

ACT was the dps meter most commonly used in EQ2 and had nothing to do with leaderboards. I refused to install it for many years but finally gave in late 2014. It did give good info on what abilities were doing, how much of a % of my total dps, how many times my auto attack hit or crit and much more that I didn't even get into. The thing I didn't like was it told you when a mob was doing it's special abilities,this I detested because it turned everyone into robots. I raided for 9 years before I installed it and managed just fine by watching the mob and looking at it's cast bar to see what it was doing.

Enough on ACT and dps meters though.Leaderboards would have things like Quests completed, Kills, Deaths ,Kills vs Deaths, Items Crafted, Collections, Achievements, Ammount of Gold, Rare Harvests. Depending on what is in game or not other things in and some of those out. The EQ2 leaderboards could show your max health, mana and a breakdown of each player character, you could opt out of too so I see no problem with something like this.

• 1019 posts
    March 23, 2018 6:46 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

How do you feel about in-game or external leader boards for games like MMORPGs that track kills, deaths, biggest server damage recorded, time without dying, hours played etc? :)

Edit: Similar to VGPlayers and I believe EQ2 Players is a similar site to VGs old one, just fluff stats, character information, crafting gear and info, faction stats, guild stats and some server wide fluff stats like total kills, total deaths, hours played etc. to check out and pass the time when you are out of game.

I LOVE THIS!!!  PLEASE HAVE IT.

• 1019 posts
    March 23, 2018 6:50 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Yeah, maybe damage output or biggest Dps strike against NPCs could be left out if people are that concerned about but it's just basically fluff stats for a bit of fun, nothing game breaking, just like VGPlayers :)

I like it if this were information available to me.  I'd like to see what my character did.  Not viewable to others because I know (from first hand exeriance in EQ2) some people will look this up and not allow you on a guild, raid, group if you don't hit hard enough.

• 160 posts
    March 23, 2018 7:55 AM PDT

You should only track such stats that cannot be tweaked for a moment. For example, a highest hit (or crit) can be gamed simply by optimizing items for it, at the cost of hp, ac, resists and whatnot.

Thus, people would use combinations of gear which are actually suboptimal for winning a raid, combinations that they would not normally use; and those that don't do that, and wear only what is the best for the real overall situation in a group or raid, would find themselves further down the list on the leaderboard.

Such a leaderboard would then become useless, and a permanent cause of headache for raid leaders, adding one more task to their job - to track all the time what every single member of a raid is wearing and yell at them to put the normal raid gear on.

• 1120 posts
    March 23, 2018 1:31 PM PDT

I feel like alot of people think that if VR doesn't give us the tools then we just will never know. 

Also,  I understand that you want to be back in the friendly mentality that most people had during early eq...

With those points said.   If vr doesn't give a dps meter,  someone will surely create one.   Even if its a external log analyzer (like gamparse for eq1). 

You are also going to have players that have different playstyles in mind .. you can see this just from browsing the guild forums right now.   There are people that want too be the best on the server,  and will push to conquer every challenge possible.   People like this will love seeing a leader board. Because it adds another layer to push towards. 

If you trust the community,  nothing should really get in the way of you enjoying the game.   I highly doubt leaderboards will affect how 99% of people go about there day to day gaming. 

• 613 posts
    April 2, 2018 12:06 PM PDT

How do you feel about in-game or external leader boards for games like MMORPGs that track kills, deaths, biggest server damage recorded, time without dying, hours played etc? :)

Edit: Similar to VGPlayers and I believe EQ2 Players is a similar site to VGs old one, just fluff stats, character information, crafting gear and info, faction stats, guild stats and some server wide fluff stats like total kills, total deaths, hours played etc. to check out and pass the time when you are out of game.

This one brings up a few thoughts.  One, are you playing the game to have fun or build stats.  I have always felt once you start down this road it gets into the competition of “ I have the best waffle maker” sort of play.  Now I can see that folks do like to see that all their hard work is reported and seen.  Some of us are playing for different reasons.  Kind of an immersion breaker. 

Two, the stats game is not what I remember in EQ until much later in the game.  I was so focused on the stat of my helm not where I Was in the larger community.  I think if the game is built to that level most people won’t care.  Now on the flip side the crafters were always selling their best based on stats.  I think that was the early way of tracking them plus the cosmetic variants.  Three, the meta data and what people pull down and post, analyze, saturates at a point that people stop caring so much and head straight for the top end.  That is a huge problem in my opinion and worth another post all together but a real concern. 

I guess I am one of the rare people that just wants to play the game and maybe craft some gear and raid for it and I don’t care what the status in which I sit.  I am having fun and don’t need to feel like I am on some list. 

Just thoughts from the Ox

lockquote]

This post was edited by Oxillion at April 2, 2018 12:06 PM PDT