Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Voice Chat Software (VOIP) --- Mumble

• 19 posts
    August 30, 2016 2:14 PM PDT

Hieromonk said:

I would not mind Voice chat, if there was voice-box effects, such that when you spoke you sounded like a Halfling, or Orge, or Elf, etc..

Otherwise, voice ruins the whole immersion and fantasy for me.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I liked in EQ1where Orges didn't know "common" and when speaking in chat, spoke in gibberish. It was pretty cool! These are the things that made EQ awesome.

• 334 posts
    August 30, 2016 4:17 PM PDT

I think it's important to make a clarification here for the sake of this discussion.

What's not being discussed is mandatory voice chat usage, or whether voice chat is a good or bad thing, etc.

What is being discussed pertains to those who do already enjoy using voice chat clients, and that is whether or not VR should invest resources in an in-game voice chat system for those people (if you don't like to use voice chat, that's a perfectly fine preference and no one would be forcing you to use such a client or feature).

My position is that with the availability of specialized 3rd party clients that are free and super easy to join, it's just not a necessary feature to spend resources on as players will utilize those rather than the (typically subpar and barebones) in-game voice chat systems.

• 45 posts
    August 30, 2016 4:32 PM PDT

I enjoy voice chat being a completely seperate thing. VOIP are services that can bring people together and it is great. I am still a little concerned about voip integrated in a game. If you play Elder Scroll Online on the PS4 you will know what i mean. It can get hella choatic. I think it is a very cool feature but has been always poorly implemented in games. Or those i have seen so far. 

I personally enjoy discord because you cant chime in whnever and however you like. Whether by entering a channel and talking or texting. And its there for everyone to enjoy and it is free.

I do think in game chat is a very cool thing, but since i am a person who generally dislikes most people's voices/tone/articulation i tend to shy away from such things especially a general voice chat. If you that a channel or server chat is cancer listen to an area chat in a popular area. It's god awful and entertaining at the same time, if you have your volume turned way down. :3

• 763 posts
    August 31, 2016 12:53 AM PDT

OUTRAGEOUS thought experiment follows:

1. VOICE is only way to talk in 'say', 'shout', 'OOC' and 'Trade' (with an exception I will mention)

2. TYPED chat represent a form of 'sign language'. Either 'battle commands' or 'theives hand gestures'. These 'languages' must be learned.

3. GROUP is only channel where TYPED chat is possible without facing person.

4. If YOUR character doesn't understand the language spoken (eg Ogrish) your voice-client overlays chunks of 'stock ogre-speak' on top of the conversation you can hear to mask words here and there dependent on how well you speak the language.

NON-COMBAT:

1. Volume level is controlled by SERVER, attenuated by 'distance'. Farther away = lower volume

2. Zone chat is all a hubub of talking that cannot be muted (apart from by distance)

3. YOU cannot keep your conversation 'quiet' or 'secret' if anyone near just listens (see above for foreign languages).

4. SHOUT channel (holding 'shout' key while talking, limited to X seconds cooldown) raises your volume level for other clients.

COMBAT:

1. Any 'talking' will also be heard by mobs. This may aggro mobs, or just alert them to your presence.

2. Toggling 'Group' channel allows use of 'battle commands' (ie typing) without others needing to be faced by you... eg 'crouching while holding 3 finger up' = 'real world' version of typing 'OK guys, there are 3 orcs ahead'.

You get the (outlandish) idea ... turning everything on its head, hehe.

All of a sudden, entering Freeport becomes a mass of noisy competing voices talking about everything from last night football results to people trying to sell gear or offerring services. Entering EC zone is much quieter. Some groups fighting at Orc#1 are not talking since they are using battle gestures. As you near the EC tunnel the volume of noise increases, becoming a loud hubub of traders trying to compete and sell their gear. Suddenly a louder voice 'shouting' 'Ghouls to tunnel'... oh oh, better watch out.

• 2756 posts
    August 31, 2016 1:55 AM PDT

I think VR should leave voice to 3rd party stuff.

When it's in-game, people sometimes get miffed when you're not on it (even though it's not as good as the one you're maybe using).

Me, I don't use it except with RL friends.  The immersion thing is one big thing, but also I think if the game becomes too "fast" for text-based comms then it's gotten too "fast" in general.

• 116 posts
    August 31, 2016 6:45 AM PDT

I'm not a programmer but I would imagine the resources that are used to build an in game  voice chat system could be better served on other game systems/features. Why not just use Team Speak,Ventrilo or Mumble?

• 1468 posts
    August 31, 2016 6:59 AM PDT

Personally I'd prefer VR to concentrate on the game and leave it up to guilds to handle VoIP servers for their members. I don't want to hear people talking who are not in my guild because it would just ruin the feeling of the game. That way guilds can decide on the best VoIP solution that meets their needs. There are so many options out there nowadays that each guild will require different features.

• 184 posts
    August 31, 2016 1:24 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Personally I'd prefer VR to concentrate on the game and leave it up to guilds to handle VoIP servers for their members. I don't want to hear people talking who are not in my guild because it would just ruin the feeling of the game. That way guilds can decide on the best VoIP solution that meets their needs. There are so many options out there nowadays that each guild will require different features.

I think there may be some confusion. I don’t see how you would hear non-guild related conversations if you were not in a PUG or public channel, and Guilds obviously would be managed by membership in order to hear any conversations within a guild.

I would like the idea of VOIP channels in a game similar to how chat channels in a game function, as an example if I’m in a VOIP channel I could be listening to the Bazaar\Trading channel for anyone who is selling something that I may need\want. Now I agree there could be a ton of “Noise” in these rooms but it could be another way of community participation. And remember this is all optional, if you don’t want to use a VR VOIP solution you don’t have too, but at least it provides an option for those who are not in guilds and more incline towards PUG’s.

Since Mumble is Open Source and fully functional there is little work on VR’s side of development other than figuring out how to incorporate it into their game, and yes it may take away some hours from development in my opinion it would be worth it. Another great option is Discord (as previously mentioned…) which has made some great inroads towards taking over the Gaming VOIP landscape, and while its free its not Open Source (yet…). It has a simplicity to it that makes it very easy to learn and use.

The only downside to Discord is their disclaimers you have to agree to before using the product

"By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy."

Rint

This post was edited by Rint at August 31, 2016 1:27 PM PDT
    • 17 posts
    August 31, 2016 1:39 PM PDT

Having an imbeded voip as a feature of the game would be great, as long as it didn't take a lot of the developer's resources to implement it.  

This post was edited by Ezumin at August 31, 2016 1:39 PM PDT
    • 14 posts
    August 31, 2016 1:47 PM PDT

Rint said:

(snip...)

I think there may be some confusion. I don’t see how you would hear non-guild related conversations if you were not in a PUG or public channel, and Guilds obviously would be managed by membership in order to hear any conversations within a guild.

I would like the idea of VOIP channels in a game similar to how chat channels in a game function, as an example if I’m in a VOIP channel I could be listening to the Bazaar\Trading channel for anyone who is selling something that I may need\want. Now I agree there could be a ton of “Noise” in these rooms but it could be another way of community participation. And remember this is all optional, if you don’t want to use a VR VOIP solution you don’t have too, but at least it provides an option for those who are not in guilds and more incline towards PUG’s.

(...snip)

Still getting used to this forum, but tried to snip Rint's post for this reply.

While I'm glad to see that VR has confirmed that there will be a built-in voice chat system, I very much hope that it will be usable only for those who are grouping together in the game. I shudder at the thought of tuning into a Trade or Looking for Group tab and hitting the wall of cacophony that would make carnival barkers blush.

• 521 posts
    November 2, 2016 2:58 AM PDT

I don't think we need a built in VOIP. There are too many free 3rd party options, Razer Comms, Discord ect. For this to not be a waste of time on the developers part.
    That said, IF this happens i would like to request that we don't have any "Global" type voice chat for towns ect. especially defaulted on. Make it group only. I remeber a game doing this (Defiance?) and it was annoying haveing to mute each and every player.

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at November 2, 2016 3:57 AM PDT
    • 126 posts
    November 2, 2016 3:47 AM PDT

disposalist said:

I think VR should leave voice to 3rd party stuff.

When it's in-game, people sometimes get miffed when you're not on it (even though it's not as good as the one you're maybe using).

Me, I don't use it except with RL friends.  The immersion thing is one big thing, but also I think if the game becomes too "fast" for text-based comms then it's gotten too "fast" in general.

That are my thoughts, too. It might be so that when something like that is conveniently built-in, people are pretty much expected to use it whenever they group up. Voice chats for raiding situations are okay for me and I prefer them either, since they help people coordinate or pointing out errors faster, avoiding a wipe. 

But for everyday grouping it would be more of an hassle for me personally. I very much like to group with complete strangers, but I can do very well without the constant chatter in my ears - and some people REALLY just can't imagine that the thing they drone about seemingly without end is completely dull for their 'audience'. So yeah, text chat for me in that situations.

• 116 posts
    November 2, 2016 5:54 AM PDT

For me, voice chat is a good thing as I am a slow typer, the old "hunt and peck" method so to speak. I believe there are enough 3rd party voice chat programs available so as not to have a voice chat feature built into Pantheon.

• 793 posts
    November 2, 2016 9:21 AM PDT

That's where an integrated system could be helpful if it has built-in text-to-speech and speech-to-text. So people can choose either one, and no one is forced to used one style or the other.

• 781 posts
    November 2, 2016 10:16 AM PDT

Oldtimer said:

For me, voice chat is a good thing as I am a slow typer, the old "hunt and peck" method so to speak. I believe there are enough 3rd party voice chat programs available so as not to have a voice chat feature built into Pantheon.

Yup, exactly :) * cheers

• 184 posts
    November 2, 2016 11:32 AM PDT

Well, since VR has stated that VOIP will be included in Pantheon I guess it’s a moot point to keep arguing not to include it. I’m just hoping they leverage Mumble Technology for their solution since its Open-Source and highly customizable (https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page ), and since Unity has many options to integrate Mumble into the system it would seem a no-brainer.

Also, as others stated requests for Text to Speech and Speech to Text is something Mumble can do at least for Text to Speech (They are working on Speech to Text), and as I’ve harped on before the positional audio in Mumble is phenomenal and I would love to have this available in Pantheon.

Rint

• 521 posts
    November 2, 2016 1:32 PM PDT

Rint said:

Well, since VR has stated that VOIP will be included in Pantheon I guess it’s a moot point to keep arguing not to include it. I’m just hoping they leverage Mumble Technology for their solution since its Open-Source and highly customizable (https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page ), and since Unity has many options to integrate Mumble into the system it would seem a no-brainer.

Also, as others stated requests for Text to Speech and Speech to Text is something Mumble can do at least for Text to Speech (They are working on Speech to Text), and as I’ve harped on before the positional audio in Mumble is phenomenal and I would love to have this available in Pantheon.

Rint

I wasnt aware they announced that, but even so the games still probably 2 or more years away, much can change.

• 184 posts
    November 3, 2016 8:12 AM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

I wasnt aware they announced that, but even so the games still probably 2 or more years away, much can change.

Yes, a few months ago Brad did a Q&A on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/4y7sd0/i_am_brad_aradune_mcquaid_cco_for_pantheon_rise/ 

Near the bottom he was asked if there will be a built-in voice chat system? and he responded with Yes.

Rint

This post was edited by Rint at November 3, 2016 8:49 AM PDT
    • 521 posts
    November 3, 2016 8:59 AM PDT

Rint said:

HemlockReaper said:

Yes, a few months ago Brad did a Q&A on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/4y7sd0/i_am_brad_aradune_mcquaid_cco_for_pantheon_rise/ 

Near the bottom he was asked if there will there be a built-in voice chat system? and he responded with Yes.

Rint

Thanks for Link, Hopefully we can disable it (Turn if OFF).

• 114 posts
    November 3, 2016 9:25 AM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

Rint said:

HemlockReaper said:

Near the bottom he was asked if there will there be a built-in voice chat system? and he responded with Yes.

Rint

Thanks for Link, Hopefully we can disable it (Turn if OFF).

Every game I have played that had built in voice had an option to not use it, and to mute it, disable it, whatever, I can't see this being any different :)

• 36 posts
    November 4, 2016 7:34 AM PDT

Let people use 3rd party programs don't integrate it into the game. I myself use Discord..... leaves TS, Ventrilo, Mumble etc in the dust. 

• 213 posts
    January 31, 2017 1:11 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

I would not mind Voice chat, if there was voice-box effects, such that when you spoke you sounded like a Halfling, or Orge, or Elf, etc..

Otherwise, voice ruins the whole immersion and fantasy for me.

If VR could somehow figure out how to make us all sound like our characters that would be the COOLEST THING!

• 2752 posts
    January 31, 2017 2:40 PM PST

I'd prefer they have VOIP in the game as an option. They could even opt to use Discord's API in the game for voice, I believe Camelot Unchained is going that round instead of building their own. Having the opportunity to talk to random groups would be nice, since usual third party voice chat is for guilds or otherwise established friend groups more often than not. 

• 333 posts
    January 31, 2017 6:32 PM PST

At this point of development its a waste of resources. We need the base game completed and not to worry about fluff :)

• 801 posts
    January 31, 2017 7:52 PM PST

Yes id rather use my own, then add more resources to the game. Nothing like seeing spam msgs Voice, chat system down......