Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What are you looking forward to the most?

This topic has been closed.
    • 30 posts
    July 15, 2015 11:31 AM PDT
    Zarriya said:
    He may want to consider keeping the UI in the SS.  Sometimes the bug has to do with the UI or you can see it in the chat log. The UI information is very useful. We usually have enough room to center our screen so that the item that we need to identify can be seen with the UI in place. I am only a layman however and there may be better reasons for not including the UI. Also you may only be talking about the bug report UI (if it can be hidden separately)- in which case nvm :)  .

One potentially easy solution - just have the bug report tool take two screenshots, one with UI and one without :)

This post was edited by Caesium at July 15, 2015 11:31 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    July 15, 2015 3:41 PM PDT
    Zarriya said:
    Kilsin said:
    Zandil said:
    Kilsin said:

I spoke to Dan and he said we will have a /bug command report system in place which will take note of your location and any mob you might have targeted, he is hoping to get more features implemented but we will at least have that as a bare minimum, we most likely will also have a web form/sub forum for more detailed discussions/repro steps etc. so that is good news and will make things easier for the testers.

If it could take a screen shot as well would be great.

By the way has Dan thawed out up in Brisbane yet ? or is he still in shock from seeing snow for the first time ever ;)

Funny you should mention that!

After asking Dan about the bug reporting system last night and having him explain that he wanted more features but needed to work on other things, I offered to put something together for him and came up with a five-page word document to throw some idea's around and he was pretty pleased with it, the reason I mention this is because a screenshot feature was one of the idea's I had marked down and we discussed that feature in more detail today in Skype.

Dan wants to try and get it to work so that if you toggle a screenshot option within the bug report, the UI will disappear so you can target the bug/area and then take a screenshot, once complete the UI will reappear again with an upload to server button, so that it will be stored with the other information, that's the plan anyway, we will see what he can do with it.

I also put together a mock WIP digital layout of what the bug report window/UI could look like with buttons/drop box/sub-menu etc. and it came out looking pretty good and Dan seemed to like it so we will see what happens.

Of course, nothing is set in stone but it was great to brainstorm it together to benefit both the Dev team and the Community :)

He may want to consider keeping the UI in the SS.  Sometimes the bug has to do with the UI or you can see it in the chat log. The UI information is very useful. We usually have enough room to center our screen so that the item that we need to identify can be seen with the UI in place. I am only a layman however and there may be better reasons for not including the UI. Also you may only be talking about the bug report UI (if it can be hidden separately)- in which case nvm :)  .

If I may suggest  - most games have a toggle to show UI /hide UI.   If a person who wishes to hide their UI before taking a SS they may do so by pressing a button (Cntrl-x, scroll lock or whatever) to hide their UI. Then they can toggle your screenhot capture.

Thanks for the info Zarriya, it is in fact just for the bug report window within the "support" window for now, people will most likely be able to toggle UI on/off whenever they like and there will be a separate category for UI bugs etc. but this is specifically for world bugs, exploits, anomalies and so on. :)

• 9115 posts
    July 15, 2015 3:59 PM PDT
    cram9030 said:
    Zarriya said:

If I may suggest  - most games have a toggle to show UI /hide UI.   If a person who wishes to hide their UI before taking a SS they may do so by pressing a button (Cntrl-x, scroll lock or whatever) to hide their UI. Then they can toggle your screenhot capture.

I like the toggling the UI idea as well it seems helpful. I would also like to suggest providing us with a bug report number so that we can add more information the the report if say we recreate the bug later or maybe want to do a little paint job on the screen shot to show exactly what we were talking about to the devs and then upload it on the website or something.

That's more for a ticket system like support that links to issues and can be revisited at any time unless it's closed/solved, that isn't really what we were going for but in saying that, I also suggested a section for account name and email to be entered in too if the person wishes for continued/follow up communication and we can use the email/account name to link to you and keep all of your bug reports in one place. there will most likely be a sub-forum on our new site too, for more detailed discussion.

Dan actually said to em yesterday that down the track it would be cool if he could get it to work so you guys can draw on the screenshots to add comments, arrows, marks, circle etc.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at July 19, 2015 8:24 AM PDT
    • 13 posts
    July 17, 2015 4:39 AM PDT

I'm a first time Alpha tester, woot! I'm really looking forward to be part of the game creation process from such an early stage. I've closed beta tested plenty of other games (including VG) and I have about 20+ years of applications/database/systems design & development under my belt so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect and provide during an Alpha testing phase. So just looking to get in and start testing, reporting bugs/issues and providing feedback that will help get this game polished and ready for the next phase.

• 9115 posts
    July 17, 2015 5:43 AM PDT
    Nizzdal said:

I'm a first time Alpha tester, woot! I'm really looking forward to be part of the game creation process from such an early stage. I've closed beta tested plenty of other games (including VG) and I have about 20+ years of applications/database/systems design & development under my belt so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect and provide during an Alpha testing phase. So just looking to get in and start testing, reporting bugs/issues and providing feedback that will help get this game polished and ready for the next phase.

Nice mate, it's good to know we will have a few pros helping to test, you are in good company! :)

• 409 posts
    July 17, 2015 9:50 AM PDT

Not sure if I am an alpha tester or not. Even if I got a notification of same, if it happened longer than a week ago, yeah, no way I remember. :)

But having alpha/closed-beta tested a bunch of different MMOs, I look forward to the same stuff I always do - new environments, player animations/movement, game mechanics, UI response, etc. I tend to not get too hopeful during alpha and even early betas, since a ton of stuff gets changed, deleted, nerfed, whatever. So I look forward to doing my part to report as many /bugs as I can, and to have honest discussions about the negatives, since I tend to be in very rare company when actually mentioning negatives on alpha/beta forums.

Hoping that P:RotF doesn't do the standard sycophant thing on the alpha/beta forums, where one person says "X thing is bad, and it breaks the game" and then 500 people shout them down as heretic for saying negative stuff on the forums, how dare they, etc...as if such ingratiation will reward them somehow. I look forward therefore, with hope and prayer, to honest alpha/beta forums where problems, bugs and poor/bad design choices get honestly discussed without groupthink bullying. If that happens, it'll be one of the rare times in history, and further indication that P:RotF has a chance to succeed.

• 9115 posts
    July 17, 2015 5:25 PM PDT
    Venjenz said:

Not sure if I am an alpha tester or not. Even if I got a notification of same, if it happened longer than a week ago, yeah, no way I remember. :)

But having alpha/closed-beta tested a bunch of different MMOs, I look forward to the same stuff I always do - new environments, player animations/movement, game mechanics, UI response, etc. I tend to not get too hopeful during alpha and even early betas, since a ton of stuff gets changed, deleted, nerfed, whatever. So I look forward to doing my part to report as many /bugs as I can, and to have honest discussions about the negatives, since I tend to be in very rare company when actually mentioning negatives on alpha/beta forums.

Hoping that P:RotF doesn't do the standard sycophant thing on the alpha/beta forums, where one person says "X thing is bad, and it breaks the game" and then 500 people shout them down as heretic for saying negative stuff on the forums, how dare they, etc...as if such ingratiation will reward them somehow. I look forward therefore, with hope and prayer, to honest alpha/beta forums where problems, bugs and poor/bad design choices get honestly discussed without groupthink bullying. If that happens, it'll be one of the rare times in history, and further indication that P:RotF has a chance to succeed.

If you would like to put a support ticket in with any information you remember, I would be happy to look into it for you mate.

People already do that sadly, it is the way of the internet, I had hoped that the maturity of our community would ward it off but a lot of the time someone even posting an innocent opinion gets slammed by multiple people because they fear that one word out of 30k+ will change the entire game, it's madness!

You have nothing to worry about though, we do listen and are open to constructive feedback so if something doesn't work, we will look into it and not just turn a blind eye. I am the one responsible for handling this type of information and passing it onto the team so you can rest easy knowing I won't let it slip by! ;)

• 105 posts
    July 18, 2015 2:47 PM PDT

I'm mostly looking forward to just seeing how everything feels, how the game plays. I realize that it won't be the same experience as release, but you can get a pretty good idea.

• 105 posts
    July 18, 2015 4:51 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    Venjenz said:
    Hoping that P:RotF doesn't do the standard sycophant thing on the alpha/beta forums, where one person says "X thing is bad, and it breaks the game" and then 500 people shout them down as heretic for saying negative stuff on the forums, how dare they, etc...as if such ingratiation will reward them somehow.

People already do that sadly, it is the way of the internet, I had hoped that the maturity of our community would ward it off but a lot of the time someone even posting an innocent opinion gets slammed by multiple people because they fear that one word out of 30k+ will change the entire game, it's madness!

You have nothing to worry about though, we do listen and are open to constructive feedback so if something doesn't work, we will look into it and not just turn a blind eye. I am the one responsible for handling this type of information and passing it onto the team so you can rest easy knowing I won't let it slip by! ;)

Just my opinion, but I think the problem starts with saying "X thing is bad, it breaks the game." It's real easy to post stuff that way, and we all do, but when you do that you're being both judge and jury, deciding the problem and the fix. What developers need to know is what's wrong, they have plenty of ideas for how to fix things, in more creative ways many players would ever imagine. It's just as easy to say "the game is broken like this, I think it's because of feature X." That way you're focusing on how it's wrong, not on our favorite fix. Just my 2 cents.

• 9115 posts
    July 18, 2015 6:01 PM PDT
    Kayd said:
    Kilsin said:
    Venjenz said:
    Hoping that P:RotF doesn't do the standard sycophant thing on the alpha/beta forums, where one person says "X thing is bad, and it breaks the game" and then 500 people shout them down as heretic for saying negative stuff on the forums, how dare they, etc...as if such ingratiation will reward them somehow.

Just my opinion, but I think the problem starts with saying "X thing is bad, it breaks the game." It's real easy to post stuff that way, and we all do, but when you do that you're being both judge and jury, deciding the problem and the fix. What developers need to know is what's wrong, they have plenty of ideas for how to fix things, in more creative ways many players would ever imagine. It's just as easy to say "the game is broken like this, I think it's because of feature X." That way you're focusing on how it's wrong, not on our favorite fix. Just my 2 cents.

You are pretty spot on, starting any subject or post/reply by drawing immediate attention to a negative sets the whole tone for the thread or replies and it is a common mistake we all make, myself included.

• 453 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:30 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    Jason said:

Looking forward to having a home again. Loved EQ for 10 years but can't go back. Telon felt like a true home but then was destroyed and sank into the sea. Can't wait to log into Terminus every day with a smile on my face and that feeling of home in my heart. 

Hopefully, Pantheon will be your home from launch but Alpha is about fixing the home and making sure it is livable and has no holes in the roof with working water and electricity! ;) 

I think most of us knows what the term Alpha means and all it entails. Your question was a simple one : What are you looking forward to most. I answered. What I am looking forward to most is seeing a living, breathing Termus with my own ears and eyes. Finally actually being there in my new home. Of course I am looking forward to doing all I can to help my (our) home become the best it can be and know that it will take work, but I think you can agree: It will be a labor of love :)

• 781 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:24 PM PDT

Community :) !!~  Staying up all night with a group of good friends , making memories and having fun.  Going to be Awesome !

This post was edited by Kelem at August 2, 2015 5:27 PM PDT
    • 6 posts
    August 3, 2015 4:26 PM PDT

Kelem, I hope to see you online. I think we'll get along pretty well. :)

I really hope to be able to forge bonds within this game as I did in EQ back in the days. That is something that I've sorely missed since I left EQ back in 2004 and didn't find in any other game ever since.

• 384 posts
    August 3, 2015 5:35 PM PDT
    Liquidsky said:

I really hope to be able to forge bonds within this game as I did in EQ back in the days. That is something that I've sorely missed since I left EQ back in 2004 and didn't find in any other game ever since.

Funny that you say that. I remember back in EQ when we had new people considering to join our guild they would adventure with us for a while to see if it was a good fit. And the feeling was mutual, they didn't want to join til they were a particular level and they were sure our guild was right for them. Compare that to nowadays where I get spammed with guild invites running thru town. So yeah, I am looking forward to that too.
    • 2138 posts
    August 3, 2015 6:05 PM PDT

Malsirian, same here. If I found some good people in a PUG that were guilded and we were on at similar times and grouped a few times, I would also try to group with some of the other guild members , separately. I was wary of people I would group with once, and they would take me to meet the leader who would ply me with gifts and a sudden invite. I mean the epic pieces were enticing, but, I would rather go to get the epic piece myself. 

• 81 posts
    August 17, 2015 11:35 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

Are you all looking forward to testing Pantheon's Alpha at the end of this year? If so what are you hoping to see included in the Alpha and why?

https://www.facebook.com/pantheonrotf/posts/1673029159578284

I think the biggest thing to me is non homogenized classes. Classes that feel unique again. It is really hard to single out one thing though I know there is a bunch of old schoolers who have been waiting for something like this.

• 1404 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:55 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Are you all looking forward to testing Pantheon's Alpha at the end of this year? If so what are you hoping to see included in the Alpha and why?

I did a search for "Feedback" my thoughts being Alpha approaching it might be good to start a thread on suggestions on how we could give the best Feedback. Will /LOC (if avalable) be needed? Will server names be needed? Game time? Player time zone? Player state? PC specs? Screenshots? Etc... if we just start entering all of that then we'll run out of room before we actually get to the issue.

So I would think to necro this old thread might be a good place to start.

How much of this info is still valid Kil's? Did they ever get the screenshot to bug report feature added?  

Edit: oh...and in alpha I'm looking forward to a simple and effective in game bug reporting system.

This post was edited by Zorkon at April 5, 2017 9:32 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    April 4, 2017 9:40 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

I did a search for "Feedback" my thoughts being Alpha approaching it might be good to start a thread on suggestions on how we could give the best Feedback. Will /LOC (if avalable) be needed? Will server names be needed? Game time? Player time zone? Player state? PC specs? Screenshots? Etc... if we just start entering all of that then well run outof room before e we actually get to the issue.

So I would think to necro this okd thread might be a good place to start.

How much of this info is still valid Kil's? Did they ever get the screenshot tobug report feature added?  

Edit: oh...and in alpha im looking forward to a simple and effective in game bug reporting system.

We will release all of that information as we approach the launch of our first testing phase but until then, I would just ask that people have patience and refrain from posting ideas or suggestions, we have specific targets, goals and requirements in mind that we will reveal as we get closer. 

We have a very detailed bug reporting system in-game that we have mentioned previously.

I appreciate the interest man, it is getting closer but we just need to put some more work into the things that we need tested, then we will release a bunch of info and instructions and then open the doors. :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at April 4, 2017 9:41 PM PDT
    • 690 posts
    April 4, 2017 9:46 PM PDT

whereas beta is probably best used for balance and hard to find bugs, IMO alpha is probably for more general mechanics, and whether they actually work for your community. Your trade system, your class/race system, your group system, etc.

I wanna test out the perception system and try to identify ways to make it still more different than overhead exclamation points. I want to test if any class in general is just left out of groups for some reason. I want to test if people bother to trade with one another using the systems you put in place. I want to see if things like powerleveling or multiboxxing are possible, and how possible they are.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 4, 2017 9:48 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    April 4, 2017 11:50 PM PDT

I know that this isn't substantive and inspiring, but I most look forward to the testing itself. I just want to be able to experience the details for myself.

• 86 posts
    April 5, 2017 12:41 AM PDT

I will of course be testing mechanics and gameplay, but I'm going to leave the stats grinding to others.

I'm particularly looking forward to testing the atmosphere, feel, immersion and overall user experience of the game. My focus will be how much it would apppeal to as broad a user base as possible, without turning it into a game it was never intended to be.

• 13 posts
    April 5, 2017 6:28 AM PDT

I am very much looking forward to testing the high level balancing of the Wizard class in particular.  As mob HP rises the value of burst DPS can be erroded, with sustainable dps becoming king, the transition to Kurnark being a strong example of this back in the day.  Yes, I am still salty 17 years later =)

There are many options to keep Wizards helpful, and need not be limited to damage, and I am exited to see how it plays out.

Edit:  Oh also - I am hoping there are clear and separate methods of providing 'bug' verses 'suggestion or impression' feedback.

This post was edited by Rykath at April 5, 2017 6:31 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 5, 2017 9:41 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

I did a search for "Feedback" my thoughts being Alpha approaching it might be good to start a thread on suggestions on how we could give the best Feedback. Will /LOC (if avalable) be needed? Will server names be needed? Game time? Player time zone? Player state? PC specs? Screenshots? Etc... if we just start entering all of that then we'll run out of room before we actually get to the issue.

How much of this info is still valid Kil's? Did they ever get the screenshot to bug report feature added?  

Edit: oh...and in alpha I'm looking forward to a simple and effective in game bug reporting system.

I can tell you're excited to start testing and that's great. I think instead of suggesting how VR handle things on their end, our time may be better spent discussing how we can handle things better on our end. Effective testing is a two-way street and so it may behoove us to brush up on how to provide constructive feedback, regardless of the details of how the bug reporting tool works.  See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5146/testing-etiquette

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 5, 2017 9:41 AM PDT
    • 178 posts
    April 5, 2017 9:53 AM PDT

I look forward to a checklist of options that need to be tested and on character creation you check off the items to test for when the character is created and you go out there and test it. If memory serves correct this was how it was handled for EQ beta (I know, Alpha is well before Beta) but figured there must be an angle to funnel different testers into different areas other than just a general "go out and try to do everything and anything - although that may also be an option to choose).

• 1404 posts
    April 5, 2017 10:41 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

I can tell you're excited to start testing and that's great. I think instead of suggesting how VR handle things on their end, our time may be better spent discussing how we can handle things better on our end. Effective testing is a two-way street and so it may behoove us to brush up on how to provide constructive feedback, regardless of the details of how the bug reporting tool works.  See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5146/testing-etiquette

Perfect Bazgrim, that was my intent. No so much what VR had set up like Kils said, well find out when it's time (although that's what this tread I could find was more directed to, I was trying not to catch the wrath of Kilsin for starting new threads) but my intent was what can we as testers do to better relay the info. 

I have been involved in beta in at least two games, Wipdstar and then NEXT/Landmark (both poorly done in my humble opinion) and yet many of us haven't at all. I think now would be a good time to start sharing the collective Knowladge of those that have a lot of good experiance at it... I know I have questions. 

Your link looks to be what I was looking for.. thanks.