Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A game or THE game ?

• 453 posts
    January 1, 2015 1:48 PM PST

Concerning Pantheon, are you hoping it is a great game but it will be just another game to add to the others you are playing, or is there a huge void you are hoping it will fill ...... are you hoping for "THE" game ? Also, what are you looking forward to most about this game ? 

POLL:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/polls/view/211/a-game-or-the-game

• 453 posts
    January 1, 2015 1:50 PM PST

For me personally there is a HUGE void to fill. I don't play anything anymore. EQ1 and Vanguard were the only games I truly loved even though I tried pretty much every major MMO release. EQ gave me a decade of love but I can't go back. VG I would happily keep playing if the emulator ever gets done. Pretty much most of my hopes are that Pantheon turns out to be something truly special in the same way EQ and VG were. 

• 84 posts
    January 1, 2015 3:38 PM PST

Hoping it will be my one and only love .

• 671 posts
    January 1, 2015 3:52 PM PST

I think with the right amount of time, Pantheon will usurp EQ as the most proper MMORPG.

Let Brad drop in the core elements and worry about the superficial things later. As long as it is still about the fizzles and the dice rolling going on behind the combat. The interplay between the environment is what most youth and most developers do not understand. Spoon feeding is what makes rift so boring, and Warhammer Online RIP.

When a game is challenging, it begs to be challenged.

• 154 posts
    January 1, 2015 4:13 PM PST

I would like it to be THE game for me. There are still a few issues that exist though. I stopped gaming consistently when I quiet VG. I quiet VG because I became a pretty "casual" gamer. Which I think is fine and works just fine with a harder MMO like we are hoping Pantheon will be but the big issue to me is the ability to find a group when I only have say an hour to play. To me a big part of that is personal but also about the amount of servers available and the quality of game at launch. I think those things play a critical role in allowing there to be a good mix of casual gamers and hardcore ones to populate the game so that a player of any level can find a group often enough that they are not limited to crafting or foraging the whole time.

As far as what I am looking forward to the most it has to be game content that is not end game content. I miss MMO's where the process of leveling meant something.

• 453 posts
    January 1, 2015 5:21 PM PST
    cram9030 said:

As far as what I am looking forward to the most it has to be game content that is not end game content. I miss MMO's where the process of leveling meant something.

Yeah, I want the whole process of leveling to mean something and be fun, for there to be dungeons and quests that are truly fun even for low levels instead of everything to be just a grind to get to high level high end content. At the same time I don't want to get to max level and then for there  to be no raiding or anything to do once you get there.

• 311 posts
    January 1, 2015 6:19 PM PST

I'm also hoping for it to be the game. I plan to play the VG emulator, but mainly to get used to a MMO again after Rift being so easy I pretty much quit gaming and my dislike of SOE, WOW. I am hoping for a finished well working version of VG. Where lvling requires friends and a real sense of acoplishment, and just going around the world trying something new and difficult. Their should still be raids to me, but tight nit guilds also. 

• 9115 posts
    January 1, 2015 6:54 PM PST

I am hoping it will be "the one" for me to replace my beloved Vanguard: Saga of Heroes but I will settle for a solid gaming experience full of challenge, immersion and social experiences with a mature and supportive community/development team, who all work together to produce the best possible experience in game and within the community as a whole.

I believe the team is working very well to achieving that goal and I am really happy with their progress, 2015 is going to be an exciting year for Pantheon, I can't wait to see what the year ahead brings us, hopefully we will find someone with deep pockets who will throw a few million our way!

• 179 posts
    January 2, 2015 4:03 AM PST

I'm hoping that Pantheon will be THE game for me. I see a lot of great games come out that are just way to easy. When I say easy they are easy to level, and gear doesn't mean anything. Most games these days are free to play which isn't always bad when done correctly. That's another subject. I'm looking for a game where your character has a reputation. For example I started playing ArcheAge because honestly it did catch my interest because it seemed similar to Vanguard in some ways and it was free to download and play. I love a lot of aspects about the game but the free to download and play really kills the game because the only players who have a reputation are those that are trolls and just terrible people. The players who are great at playing their class or helpful are lost in the crowd of trolls.

I could go on and on but honestly I'm looking for a game to call home again. I'm looking for a group to play together each night with and a guild that works together to accomplish goals as a guild. MMOs these days have way too many players that only look out for themselves.

• 999 posts
    January 2, 2015 7:01 AM PST

Pantheon to be "The Game" for sure - to replace or supplant those nostalgic EQ memories.  Whether I have the time to commit once I like did or not, I would still enjoy the journey, perhaps more since I couldn't rush to max level and I would most definitely want that experience for those who did not get to experience the launch of EQ.

• 132 posts
    January 2, 2015 7:10 AM PST

ofc, Im hoping for THE game.

A living, breathing world that I don't want to leave. :)

• 753 posts
    January 5, 2015 12:54 PM PST

I'm hoping for THE game.  Having said that, I think MMO's trying to be a "game" has been the downfall of MMO's over the past 10 years.  Filling every 20 minutes with the sense of "winning" - is sort of ANTI-MMO.

For me, the magic will be a virtual world that bears some (intelligently designed) semblance to reality mixed with high fantasy. 

When people used to ask me why I played EQ, I used to say:  "Have you ever read a really good fantasy novel?  Well, playing EQ is like being IN a really good fantasy novel."  And for me, that was true.  You went through the things that fantasy characters went through. Long boring trips (sometimes) - that lead to unexpected high excitement nearly every time you took one for example.

Here - let me ask this:

How many people who played EQ, after spending some number of days (or WEEKS!) in a given area did a night or two of research that included asking other players, looking up what you could find on the internet, etc... about "somewhere next" to go.... a lot of you, right?

Now here's the key part:  How many of you set off for that "somewhere next" and didn't end up getting there - because as you were taking that "long, boring trip" - something else along the way caught your attention - and 2, 3, 4 nights later you still found yourself there enjoying it?

AND - for the final question:  How many of you have had that same experience in any of the "new" MMO's?

Being a world isn't about adding in layers of reality until the "Game" stops being fun - it's about adding in enough semblance of reality so that when you find those magic moments, they seem really, honestly, truly magic. 

That's what I want from Pantheon.   A virtual world that FEELS real enough to make the magic within it also feel real.

• 610 posts
    January 5, 2015 12:59 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

I'm hoping for THE game.  Having said that, I think MMO's trying to be a "game" has been the downfall of MMO's over the past 10 years.  Filling every 20 minutes with the sense of "winning" - is sort of ANTI-MMO.

For me, the magic will be a virtual world that bears some (intelligently designed) semblance to reality mixed with high fantasy. 

When people used to ask me why I played EQ, I used to say:  "Have you ever read a really good fantasy novel?  Well, playing EQ is like being IN a really good fantasy novel."  And for me, that was true.  You went through the things that fantasy characters went through. Long boring trips (sometimes) - that lead to unexpected high excitement nearly every time you took one for example.

Here - let me ask this:

How many people who played EQ, after spending some number of days (or WEEKS!) in a given area did a night or two of research that included asking other players, looking up what you could find on the internet, etc... about "somewhere next" to go.... a lot of you, right?

Now here's the key part:  How many of you set off for that "somewhere next" and didn't end up getting there - because as you were taking that "long, boring trip" - something else along the way caught your attention - and 2, 3, 4 nights later you still found yourself there enjoying it?

AND - for the final question:  How many of you have had that same experience in any of the "new" MMO's?

Being a world isn't about adding in layers of reality until the "Game" stops being fun - it's about adding in enough semblance of reality so that when you find those magic moments, they seem really, honestly, truly magic. 

That's what I want from Pantheon.   A virtual world that FEELS real enough to make the magic within it also feel real.

Well said my friend, well said

I couldnt agree more.

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 5, 2015 2:25 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

Here - let me ask this:

Excellent.

• 132 posts
    January 5, 2015 3:04 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

Here - let me ask this:

Yes, yes and yes!

I super agree!

• 409 posts
    January 6, 2015 12:46 PM PST

Only have room for one MMO in my life. Right now, it is 13 year old graphics EQ1, times 3 accounts. Shows you where my MMO head is at. I will set up serious camp in an MMO that is worth it, and right now, only one has that magical "it" thing no other game can match.

• 1019 posts
    October 14, 2018 12:28 PM PDT

I'm hoping this is THE ONE for me.  At least for 4 or 5 years.  EQ2 was the one for me for a good 5 years.  

• 239 posts
    October 14, 2018 3:23 PM PDT
    I'm a one game kind of guy. Only get a few hours a day if I'm lucky. Can't split between games too often.
    Right now Divinity 2. Next month Fallout76. Hopefully Pantheon will be out next year sometime and I can just jump there.
    Wish these developers would get on my gaming schedule. ;)
    • 232 posts
    October 15, 2018 9:33 AM PDT

Wandidar said:

Here - let me ask this:

Here here!  Amazing post and couldnt agree more.

• 2419 posts
    October 15, 2018 10:14 AM PDT

Jason said:

Concerning Pantheon, are you hoping it is a great game but it will be just another game to add to the others you are playing, or is there a huge void you are hoping it will fill ...... are you hoping for "THE" game?

Definitely the game, but that is how I play most every game anyway. It becomes my sole focus for as long as the game remains engaging.  EQ1 kept me for 8+ years,  EVE Online for 9 years yet WarHammer Online, Rift and a few others barely lasted a few weeks for various reasons.

• 1785 posts
    October 15, 2018 11:42 AM PDT

Oh wow this is an old thread.

Where I'm at - when I first heard about Pantheon, I was hoping it would be THE game.

However, as time has gone on, and I've thought a lot more about it, and honestly learned more about myself in the process, I've realized that Pantheon isn't my ideal game.  Don't get me wrong - I'm still very much looking forward to Pantheon.  I will play at launch, and hopefully for several years.  I'm hoping for 3-5 years out of it.  But at least right now, I don't think it will be a forever game for me.

That's not a negative on Pantheon at all. I truly believe that Pantheon will be an amazing experience, and that it will do a lot of things right and help really move the genre forward for the first time in a decade.  That's big and shouldn't be understated.  It's just that what I really, truly want is a world I can log into and continue to be a part of for many years.  And as much fun as I think Pantheon will be, I think that it's still going to be a little too much of a game and not enough of a world to last that long for me.

I could be wrong, of course.  There's still so much we don't know.  I just feel like right now, with the conventions that Pantheon is following, there will be an end date for me personally.  It will be time well spent, but when it's all said and done, I'll need something more than Pantheon will be able to provide.

This post was edited by Nephele at October 15, 2018 11:43 AM PDT
    • 287 posts
    October 15, 2018 12:37 PM PDT

Nephele said:

It will be time well spent, but when it's all said and done, I'll need something more than Pantheon will be able to provide.

Pantheon: Gateway Drug for Other MMOs

Not a very catchy title :)

• 346 posts
    October 16, 2018 6:48 PM PDT

Pantheon: Beginning of the Addiction

• 844 posts
    October 16, 2018 9:06 PM PDT

The OP's opinion and MMO gaming background seems to mirror mine generally.

Although I would say as much as I liked Vanguard, it took a turn to the darkside with KDQ and gimmicks to let solo ginders acquire raid level gear.

When KDQ dropped, Vanguard ceased to be the last skill-based MMO in existence and joined the crowd of grind-based MMOs. Basically ALL other MMOs.

• 3016 posts
    October 16, 2018 9:10 PM PDT

Still THE game for me,  nothing else has even caught my interest.  :)  Waiting patiently. :)

Cana