Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Do you like being able to change

• 3237 posts
    November 12, 2019 7:48 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

I honestly don't see a big deal is this 1AD7, you get to see "yourself" as you want to see you, so you win and everyone who has that feature on will see you that way as well, but i don't see how you see it as a lost when i see you for what you have on, how exactly does that affect you in  anyway?  So what i don't see it, that shouldn't even be the part that even matters,  you can, it's honestly the best of both worlds, as for i don't like cosmetic gear, but I'm fine wiht Cosmetic gear if i have an option to simply not see it, as you should be fine with me not being able to see it, if you have the option to obtain it.

It's not the best of both worlds.  It's a compromise.  I'm satisfied with that compromise but I think one side of the argument is way overblown.  The most ironic thing of all is that players can indeed force others to view them exactly how they want to be viewed.  The toggle does not prevent that at all.  If someone wants to troll you with their appearance then they simply equip that gear into the "standard slots."  It's like having an /ignore command that prevents another player from sending you a tell while on your ignore list.  But wait ... there is a /whisper command that functions differently from tell, sort of.  Well, it does the exact same thing, but this is called a whisper rather than a tell, and thus cannot be ignored.  Voila!

This post was edited by oneADseven at November 12, 2019 7:48 AM PST
    • 1584 posts
    November 12, 2019 7:53 AM PST

That's not the way i read that option at all, the way I read it you decide if you see cosmetic or not, not that the othe player decides if you see his cosmetic gear or not, the other way doesn't make any sense to me.  And btw Compromises are what tries to make the best of both worlds becuase as stated if we weren't trying to compromise i would say throw out cosmetic gear all together, but that just me.  But i also understand people like cosmetic gear so if I have an option to turn it off as they enjoy watching themsleves wear it im prefectly fine with that, as they should be fine with me not being able to see them wear it, becuase that makes me happy.

If your saying that they are putting on gear to change their appearance to match their cosmetic appearance while saraficing attributes to the fight or the content you are fighitng, than you know to never group with them again, and call it at that, and honestly i dont really seeing this be a thing, i could be wrong there are always people that try to troll to hard, but they normally don't last long once the community gets to know them and simply gave them enough rope to hang themselves with.

This post was edited by Cealtric at November 12, 2019 8:00 AM PST
    • 3237 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:02 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

That's not the way i read that option at all, the way I read it you decide if you see cosmetic or not, not that the othe player decides if you see his cosmetic gear or not, the other way doesn't make any sense to me.

Perhaps some clarification from VR is warranted, then.  Will we be seeing "appearance slots" similar to what EQ2 used?  Or will we see "cosmetic gear" that can only be worn in cosmetic slots that players can toggle on/off?  I have always been under the impression that we would see the former rather than the latter.  The moral of the story is ... the only two ways to allow players to prevent others from appearing to wear dental floss bikinis and santa hats are:

1)  Don't create those kind of assets in the first place.  (Ding ding ding!)

2)  Create separate "cosmetic gear" that can only be worn in "cosmetic slots" and give players the option to disable that.  (wut!?)

As it turns out ... this exact question was asked back in September 2015!  http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons/view/page/1

Here is a comment from Brad on page 5:

"I think it's really important that when you look at another player you see a representation of the gear they've earned and their accomplishments.  First, hey, it's fun as the higher level guy to show off.  Secondly, and more importantly, it inspires lower level players to acheive.  

As for 'appearance gear' or what I call cosmetic items (items that change your appearance but don't really do anything for your character) I think there can be a place for them.  Many players like to role-play and dress up, etc.  So we are consdiering a cosmetic layer, where you could wear cosmetic gear and that would show up instead of your real gear if you wanted.

Where I would probably draw a line would be the whole dying or somehow altering the in-game appearance of an earned item.  The Crimson Breastplate of the Sphynx should look awesome, and it should be red.  And you should, after playing the game for a while, recognize rare and powerful items being worn by players who've worked hard to obtain them."

"Yes, it may make sense to limit where your cosmetic gear can actually change your appearance.  I don't generally like hard limitations though.   We'll mess around with this and many things in beta."

The second quote was in response to someone saying that they wouldn't want to see other players wearing a tuxedo during a dungeon crawl.  As I mentioned previously ... that issue can very easily be avoided by using separate distinctions for roleplaying/formal/crafting/harvesting/festive gear that would not qualify for appearance slots.  If you want to wear that stuff in town, you could very easily do that.  If you want to wear it during a dungeon crawl ... well, you won't have any stats, and will promptly get destroyed.  The "appearance slot" system allows players to toggle the appearance of their adventuring gear only, and would be limited, exclusively, to adventuring gear that was legitimately earned, in-game.

This post was edited by oneADseven at November 12, 2019 8:15 AM PST
    • 368 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:06 AM PST

I am all for cosmetic / appearance equipment slots. With an option to hide appearance slots.

• 696 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:06 AM PST

I usually look at MMO's in multiple dimesions. I know most people on this forum are the hacknslash types and that is all they see, but for me MMOs bring way more to the table than just that one aspect. One of them is appearance. With transmogs it tends to alter the enviroment and feeling of the game in unexpected ways. Sometimes it can be good....but way more times it is bad. The enviroment and ambiance of the game are important to me. Transmogs tend to ruin the immersion more than helps it in that case. I don't really care what people want to identify as....find the gear and wear it at your on discreation. If you like the look of a level 20 piece of gear and you wear it to end game content...expect to die.

The compromise is for a toggle system. Don't force me to see you look ridiculous. 

• 139 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:20 AM PST

We have a conflict between the socializers against the achievers. The socializers are like " Look at me" and the achievers are like "did you earn it".

I think ideally it would be good to have customization over the earned gear with lots of interlinking between apparel, but as money is short maybe just have a toggle. 

• 1404 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:27 AM PST

Earned Armor 

I think appearance should be a factor in how players outfit themselves. It could be a good deterrent to min maxing if every slot having BIS made the player look like a circus clown.

Is it really worth fighting over that one extra AC if your helm in going to look like a pineapple?

My examples are extreem to get my point across, but choices should matter shouldn't they?

• 220 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:46 AM PST

Sabot said: I just cant see why a toggle is a problem. Everyone wins. The people that want to look ridiculous can, the ones that want to dress up and look what they think "good" is can, and those that want to show what they are actually using can. And those that dont want to see anyone else's "creation" good or bad dont have to see it. You should not be able to force your fake appearance on me anymore that you can force vile or toxic chat. I have an ignore command for chat, the toggle is the same for dress up. The argument that everyone will be confused by commands like "follow the dwarf with the green helm" is just crazy. Tell them to follow Dariuz. That's the name over his head. Or tell em to follow the dwarf with the star over his head. Most every game has that feature now. If the only way you can enjoy the game is to force everyone else to see you as you want to be seen and not as you actually are... well I cant really say anything to help you with that. I just think it's a freedom thing.

As long as VR have a toggle for me to "turn off" the victoria secret fashion show im kool with it.

Some players enjoy letting other see their creation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUb_GeLDg8 its just like the "Like button" its a social and personal preferrence thing.

On "your" screen your're wearing a holloween pumpkin head from an in-game seasonal event "BUT" on my screen your wearing a rusty helmet. 

im kool with that implementation, VR can add fashion slots just let me "Turn Off" the fashion show on my screen.

• 1584 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:54 AM PST

oneADseven said:

Riahuf22 said:

That's not the way i read that option at all, the way I read it you decide if you see cosmetic or not, not that the othe player decides if you see his cosmetic gear or not, the other way doesn't make any sense to me.

Perhaps some clarification from VR is warranted, then.  Will we be seeing "appearance slots" similar to what EQ2 used?  Or will we see "cosmetic gear" that can only be worn in cosmetic slots that players can toggle on/off?  I have always been under the impression that we would see the former rather than the latter.  The moral of the story is ... the only two ways to allow players to prevent others from appearing to wear dental floss bikinis and santa hats are:

1)  Don't create those kind of assets in the first place.  (Ding ding ding!)

2)  Create separate "cosmetic gear" that can only be worn in "cosmetic slots" and give players the option to disable that.  (wut!?)

As it turns out ... this exact question was asked back in September 2015!  http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons/view/page/1

Here is a comment from Brad on page 5:

"I think it's really important that when you look at another player you see a representation of the gear they've earned and their accomplishments.  First, hey, it's fun as the higher level guy to show off.  Secondly, and more importantly, it inspires lower level players to acheive.  

As for 'appearance gear' or what I call cosmetic items (items that change your appearance but don't really do anything for your character) I think there can be a place for them.  Many players like to role-play and dress up, etc.  So we are consdiering a cosmetic layer, where you could wear cosmetic gear and that would show up instead of your real gear if you wanted.

Where I would probably draw a line would be the whole dying or somehow altering the in-game appearance of an earned item.  The Crimson Breastplate of the Sphynx should look awesome, and it should be red.  And you should, after playing the game for a while, recognize rare and powerful items being worn by players who've worked hard to obtain them."

"Yes, it may make sense to limit where your cosmetic gear can actually change your appearance.  I don't generally like hard limitations though.   We'll mess around with this and many things in beta."

The second quote was in response to someone saying that they wouldn't want to see other players wearing a tuxedo during a dungeon crawl.  As I mentioned previously ... that issue can very easily be avoided by using separate distinctions for roleplaying/formal/crafting/harvesting/festive gear that would not qualify for appearance slots.  If you want to wear that stuff in town, you could very easily do that.  If you want to wear it during a dungeon crawl ... well, you won't have any stats, and will promptly get destroyed.  The "appearance slot" system allows players to toggle the appearance of their adventuring gear only, and would be limited, exclusively, to adventuring gear that was legitimately earned, in-game.

Maybe some Reclarification is in order, but i believe if they have it to where you are in control of what you see than everytihng will be fine, becuase if you dont want to see sometihng you can turn it off, shoot i wouldn't even mind if they have an option if you have it otggled on but you see someone that looks too flashy or bright or whatever to you, you could simply right click on them and individually turn them off so you can appreciate what you want to look at without feeling you have to sacrafice something you dont want to see.  their is harmony in these options we just have to express them.

• 2130 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:56 AM PST

I do like being able to change appearance, and half of the replies in this thread lead me to believe that people have never played a modern game before.

• Victoria's Secret memes
    • Warriors wearing cloth
    • References to outlandish, immersion-breaking appearance as a result of RMT

None of these things have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

I would like to see a pretty restricted system.

• Restrict based on weapon type. 1h pierce, 2h slash, etc.
    • Restrict based on armor type. Plate for plate, leather for leather.
    • Restrict based on race/class. A Warrior can not equip a plate chest piece that is Paladin-only.

Fwiw, I agree with disposalist. Adding toggles for everything is not the way to go. You should have the expectation that the way you see your own character is the way everyone else does. No, you are not entitled to customize your client 956348765345 different ways. A baseline experience of the game is needed for consistency's sake.

• 1584 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:05 AM PST

Liav said:

I do like being able to change appearance, and half of the replies in this thread lead me to believe that people have never played a modern game before.

• Victoria's Secret memes
    • Warriors wearing cloth
    • References to outlandish, immersion-breaking appearance as a result of RMT

None of these things have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

I would like to see a pretty restricted system.

• Restrict based on weapon type. 1h pierce, 2h slash, etc.
    • Restrict based on armor type. Plate for plate, leather for leather.
    • Restrict based on race/class. A Warrior can not equip a plate chest piece that is Paladin-only.

Fwiw, I agree with disposalist. Adding toggles for everything is not the way to go. You should have the expectation that the way you see your own character is the way everyone else does. No, you are not entitled to customize your client 956348765345 different ways. A baseline experience of the game is needed for consistency's sake.

Why though, how am i hurting you by seeing you differently than you see you? I'm not so why are you forcing me to see you in a way i don't want to see you?  You shouldn't ok, im glad we had this conversation, don't force me on how you think i should see you, its nonsense, theres nothing wrong with me seeing you in your adventure gear if i want to just like there nothing wrong you seeing people in cosmetic gear, like i said earlier there is a harmony in these options but forcing me to see you in  a way i don't want to isn't one of them.

• 3237 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:11 AM PST

I want to see everybody naked and players shouldn't be able to force me to see otherwise.

• 2130 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:15 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

Why though, how am i hurting you by seeing you differently than you see you? I'm not so why are you forcing me to see you in a way i don't want to see you?  You shouldn't ok, im glad we had this conversation, don't force me on how you think i should see you, its nonsense, theres nothing wrong with me seeing you in your adventure gear if i want to just like there nothing wrong you seeing people in cosmetic gear, like i said earlier there is a harmony in these options but forcing me to see you in  a way i don't want to isn't one of them.

I could just as easily ask you why you think it's reasonable to expect the devs to make game systems optional.

Why can't I upload a custom texture pack that turns city guards into sexy waifus? Oh wait, I probably can do that anyway. Not that I would...

Either way, it'll be fun to ask people "hey, what do you think of this sword", and they'll have to dig through their options to toggle a switch for a few seconds to see what I'm talking about.

In the same way that setting your game to low settings doesn't make it look like Minecraft, I expect everyone to have a roughly similar idea of what the world around them looks like. In my opinion it is not a reasonable expectation of devs to cater to individuals that much.

Keep in mind that I would rather have toggles than not have appearance gear at all, but I still think it's dumb to allow people to opt-out of the default game experience.

This post was edited by Liav at November 12, 2019 9:17 AM PST
    • 1584 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:19 AM PST

Liav said:

Riahuf22 said:

I could just as easily ask you why you think it's reasonable to expect the devs to make game systems optional.

Why can't I upload a custom texture pack that turns city guards into sexy waifus? Oh wait, I probably can do that anyway. Not that I would...

Either way, it'll be fun to ask people "hey, what do you think of this sword", and they'll have to dig through their options to toggle a switch for a few seconds to see what I'm talking about.

In the same way that setting your game to low settings doesn't make it look like Minecraft, I expect everyone to have a roughly similar idea of what the world around them looks like. In my opinion it is not a reasonable expectation of devs to cater to individuals that much.

Keep in mind that I would rather have toggles than not have appearance gear at all, but I still think it's dumb to allow people to opt-out of the default game experience.

honestly, if you say anytihng about a big sword and i cant see and than i realize its a cosmetic sword, i wouldnt care how it looks, becuase it is cosmetic and therefore to me has no value, im not punishing you by me not being able to see something, but you are trying to punihs me becuase you want me to be able to see something i dont want to see.

• 2130 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:22 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

honestly, if you say anytihng about a big sword and i cant see and than i realize its a cosmetic sword, i wouldnt care how it looks, becuase it is cosmetic and therefore to me has no value, im not punishing you by me not being able to see something, but you are trying to punihs me becuase you want me to be able to see something i dont want to see.

Well, Druids have no value to me so I'm just going to pretend you're a Walmart Cleric. At least Walmart Clerics have cheal, though.

You see how that logic doesn't work? A system either is, or isn't. Allowing it to exist in a quantum superposition where you have no idea what your character looks like to every individual you pass by is just laughable to me.

And no, I'm not punishing you. Holy crap you're dramatic.

• 1584 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:39 AM PST

Liav said:

Riahuf22 said:

Well, Druids have no value to me so I'm just going to pretend you're a Walmart Cleric. At least Walmart Clerics have cheal, though.

You see how that logic doesn't work? A system either is, or isn't. Allowing it to exist in a quantum superposition where you have no idea what your character looks like to every individual you pass by is just laughable to me.

But me not being able to see you the way you se you does nothing to you. you just aren't willing to comprmise and thats fine i simply will just hope the devs see otherwise and realize that i shouldnt feel forced to see you in a way i dont want to.

• 1428 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:42 AM PST

Liav said:

Riahuf22 said:

hi welcome to terminusmart.

(starts scanning a variety of cosmetic items from the cash shop)

(a string bikini for male warrior.  beep.  a santa hat.  beep.  a pizza box shield.  beep.)

your total is $1337.  yes sir, these items are guranteed to show everybody how you look and no, the appearance can't be toggled.  this is the value of the cash shop.  thank you for you patreonage.

(a dapper warrior in a red string bikini with a charming bowtie dropping smug faces with a tilted santa hat flexing deltoids and as he hohohos a pizza box in yo face.)

trade chat:`DerpMeetPopCycle says-  MEATLOVER MEATSHIELD  LFG FOR SOME HOT LAVA CAVE ACTION!  PST MAH GEAR SWOL YO.

• 500 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:45 AM PST

disposalist said:

Sabot said: I just cant see why a toggle is a problem. Everyone wins. The people that want to look ridiculous can, the ones that want to dress up and look what they think "good" is can, and those that want to show what they are actually using can. And those that dont want to see anyone else's "creation" good or bad dont have to see it. You should not be able to force your fake appearance on me anymore that you can force vile or toxic chat. I have an ignore command for chat, the toggle is the same for dress up. The argument that everyone will be confused by commands like "follow the dwarf with the green helm" is just crazy. Tell them to follow Dariuz. That's the name over his head. Or tell em to follow the dwarf with the star over his head. Most every game has that feature now. If the only way you can enjoy the game is to force everyone else to see you as you want to be seen and not as you actually are... well I cant really say anything to help you with that. I just think it's a freedom thing.

The people that want to "look ridiculous" can't.  VR have said that any appearance/cosmetics system won't do ridiculous stuff.  It merely allows a player to use the look of an item previously earned and worn that they prefer.  No need to conflate that stuff with this issue.

You don't want a fake appearance 'forced', but are happy to force others to be seen as they don't want to be.  That's what a toggle does.  They want to be seen how the appearance slot sets it.  The toggle stops that.

As for using nameplates not appearances, if nameplates are that huge and readable at all times it will look more horrendous than any outlandish cosmetics would be.

It's a freedom thing, yes.  A toggle removes that freedom to be seen how you'd wish when an /inspect function would work just as well for people that *must* have what is displayed exactly match what is actually worn for whatever reason.

To be clear, I'm no against having no wardrobe system.  I'd rather that than waste time on it if there will be a toggle that just ignores it and makes it pointless and confusing.

EDIT: I'm spamming this thread. I'll bow out ;^)

A toggle simply allows me, and others that share my view, to opt out of any fashion quest.  It doesn't affect you in any way. You see what you want on your screen, and I see what I want on mine. Game play is not effected at all.

You insist on forcing others to see what you want them to see, not what is actually there. It just seems like a bit of hypocrisy to me.  As for a toggle making it pointless and confusing... I just don't get it.  Those that want to dress up, for whatever reason, get to do so.  Those of that don't wish to dress up also get to do so.  Seems like a win win to me.

One last thing... If a toggle is in place, how would you even know what any given player is seeing unless you ask?  I can't see a downside to having a toggle.

I hope you don't take this as being antagonistic.  I generally find myself aligned with most of your posts.  Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

• 220 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:45 AM PST

i understand its not fun when everyone dont see you wearing a full set of example Mighty Pumpkin Holloween set in the fashion slots from a 2018 in-game event while you are running in town, party group, open field, crafting, etc. but at least you see your character wearing old gears on your screen

.Hell i just logged off Black desert online and their a female character wearing a half sit dress exposing her thighs and buttock while fishing in town. That the modern mmo gener right there. I know VR wont have any of that madness in Pantheon but i think a toggle is justifiable for both side.

These "I wanna stand out from the crowd" wanna be different topic have been going on in every mmo forums. 

i hope VR can keep gears, weapons, event item, etc within Pantheon Lore and not the "Real World Lore"

/bowing out

Here's my Toggle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du5YK5FnyF4

• 2130 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:49 AM PST

Assuming that the past few replies aren't memes, I'll clarify some things:

95% of my interest in appearance gear comes from the desire to display things that I have earned in game. In EQ2, a ton of people including myself still used our mythical weapons as appearance for over a decade. People who play EQ today still use their epic 1.0/2.0s as appearance, because it has sentimental value and is an iconic item from that era.

If Pantheon ends up having a cosmetic cash shop, that would be an utter failure in my eyes. However, I would encourage all of you in this thread to learn how to separate concepts from eachother instead of inventing slippery slopes. Cosmetic cash shops and appearance gear are two entirely distinct systems that are not dependent on eachother to exist.

This post was edited by Liav at November 12, 2019 9:52 AM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 12, 2019 10:01 AM PST

AbsoluteTerror said:

i understand its not fun when everyone dont see you wearing a full set of example Mighty Pumpkin Holloween set in the fashion slots from a 2018 in-game event while you are running in town, party group, open field, crafting, etc. but at least you see your character wearing old gears on your screen

.Hell i just logged off Black desert online and their a female character wearing a half sit dress exposing her thighs and buttock while fishing in town. That the modern mmo gener right there. I know VR wont have any of that madness in Pantheon but i think a toggle is justifiable for both side.

These "I wanna stand out from the crowd" wanna be different topic have been going on in every mmo forums. 

i hope VR can keep gears, weapons, event item, etc within Pantheon Lore and not the "Real World Lore"

/bowing out

bdo is an eastern mmo so it's 'lore friendly'

the developers intentionally made the end game armour ugly so that you spend money on the cosmetics.  for the non bdo gamers here's what end game armour looks like(the ghilly look) the other is entry level gear:

to be fair, the way upgrading gear is fundamentally different from the way western mmos work.  so cosmetics are a way to keep teh game running(cough cough cash shop)

(sorry i'll stop posting pictures now.  visual representation in this case is much easier than describing)

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at November 12, 2019 10:07 AM PST
    • 1584 posts
    November 12, 2019 10:05 AM PST

I understand, you want to hold on to sentimental valued items, and from the beginning most have said that is fine, but that doesn't mean i should have to see it, you can see it and that is what truly matters, I just don't see the huge deal here, and i dont understand why you want everyone to see what you see, i guess i just wont understand if i havent alrdy and again i said that fine i just hope they give me the freedom to decde what i want to see and what i dont.

• 2756 posts
    November 12, 2019 12:50 PM PST

Grymmlocke said:

disposalist said:

The people that want to "look ridiculous" can't.  VR have said that any appearance/cosmetics system won't do ridiculous stuff.  It merely allows a player to use the look of an item previously earned and worn that they prefer.  No need to conflate that stuff with this issue.

You don't want a fake appearance 'forced', but are happy to force others to be seen as they don't want to be.  That's what a toggle does.  They want to be seen how the appearance slot sets it.  The toggle stops that.

As for using nameplates not appearances, if nameplates are that huge and readable at all times it will look more horrendous than any outlandish cosmetics would be.

It's a freedom thing, yes.  A toggle removes that freedom to be seen how you'd wish when an /inspect function would work just as well for people that *must* have what is displayed exactly match what is actually worn for whatever reason.

To be clear, I'm no against having no wardrobe system.  I'd rather that than waste time on it if there will be a toggle that just ignores it and makes it pointless and confusing.

EDIT: I'm spamming this thread. I'll bow out ;^)

A toggle simply allows me, and others that share my view, to opt out of any fashion quest.  It doesn't affect you in any way. You see what you want on your screen, and I see what I want on mine. Game play is not effected at all.

You insist on forcing others to see what you want them to see, not what is actually there. It just seems like a bit of hypocrisy to me.  As for a toggle making it pointless and confusing... I just don't get it.  Those that want to dress up, for whatever reason, get to do so.  Those of that don't wish to dress up also get to do so.  Seems like a win win to me.

One last thing... If a toggle is in place, how would you even know what any given player is seeing unless you ask?  I can't see a downside to having a toggle.

I hope you don't take this as being antagonistic.  I generally find myself aligned with most of your posts.  Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

That's cool and I hope I don't seem to antogonistic.  I really think it's just people's ideas of what consititutes "changing appearance" and what the point of it is just differ.

I'll try again though.  My desire for changing my appearance is because I like to role-play.  Not hardcore role-play like amateur acting, but having fun with portraying a character.  Thinking of a bio.  Talking in-character sometimes.  And a huge part of playing a character is *what the character looks like*.

If I wanted to be a dirty, battered, hard-bitten warrior I need my armor to look dirty and battered.  If gear is polished and shining it looks ridiculous for my character.

If I wanted to be a secretive, assassin-type rogue I would want my armor to be dark and subtle and simple.  If gear is clashing and colourful it looks ridiculous for my character.

And - *important bit here* - it is not what my character looks like to *me* that is most important when portraying a character and role-playing.  It is what it looks like to *others*.

If others can just turn that off then why bother?  Maybe think of it as an actor going on stage and half the audience choosing to not see your carefully created costume.  May as well not bother with it then - you would just have to try and make sure your normal clothes aren't too embarassing.  It would also make acting rather difficult if the costume was even slightly significant to the character.  You'd be tipping your hat and swirling your skirt and half the audience are confused wondering what the hell you're up to because they don't see them.

Now some folks aren't at all interested in role-playing or portraying a character.  They are focused on getting stuff and showing it off.  What confuses me is why they can't happily show off their gear without insisting that I do the same?

Some folks appear to not be able to cope at all with gear just not looking like what it is.  In some ways this is the most understandable, I suppose, though I have to ask "why do you care?" "what does it matter?" If I'm level 50 and I want to wear a level 20 robe because it looks better, is that ok?  If I'm level 50 and I make my level 50 robe *look like* a level 20 robe because it looks better to me, why do you care?  I could be actually wearing my level 20 robe.  What difference does it make.  So I'm not inspiring low level players.  Big deal.  Is that my job?  Them prestige players will do that fine.

I'm waffling on again...

TL;DR: -

1) Cosmetics don't have to be inappriopriate. They can be formed from gear you have earned and worn.

2) To a majority of people (and I believe it is a majority) that would like subtle cosmetics, it matters what you look like *to others* at least as much as to yourself, probably more.  If others can toggle it off, it makes if largely pointless.

3) If half players are seeing something different to the other half every time they look at a player's character, it has great potential to be unimmersive, confusing and just plain weird.

If that isn't understandable then *shrug* I can't explain it any better.

• 14 posts
    November 12, 2019 1:01 PM PST

While I lean towrds earned gear there is something to be said about looking like a patch work quilt too. While being able to change your appearnc to your liking is a nice option the only negative condintation of most current themed park MMOS is that appearnce gear is often in the pay shop which pantheon has said not to. So if done well i think that an appearnce systme in the game could be good

This post was edited by mebalzz at November 12, 2019 1:06 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 12, 2019 1:45 PM PST

disposalist said:

TL;DR: -

1) Cosmetics don't have to be inappriopriate. They can be formed from gear you have earned and worn.

2) To a majority of people (and I believe it is a majority) that would like subtle cosmetics, it matters what you look like *to others* at least as much as to yourself, probably more.  If others can toggle it off, it makes if largely pointless.

3) If half players are seeing something different to the other half every time they look at a player's character, it has great potential to be unimmersive, confusing and just plain weird.

If that isn't understandable then *shrug* I can't explain it any better.

i don't think having the toggle off is pointless.  suppose you and i were rping, we could both toggle it on and hide other players such as teh male string bikini warrior with a santa hat and pizza box shield(that would break in immersion).  it works both ways.

in essence, i can see what i want to see and others can show what they want to show.

that's a great compromise.  if not, i end up with 2 extreme spectrums of having a complete volcanic eruption of unimmersive appeareances or straight up black coffee.

i'm of the ladder(not that i can't appreciate milk and sugar time to time) and if we are rping i'd equip the gear to give me the appeareance i desire for the rp session.

good rpers are the characters.  great rpers can seperate from their characters and the stage is just a giant prop that teh actors make real.

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at November 12, 2019 1:48 PM PST