Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What kinds of enemies do you hope to see?

• 107 posts
    January 28, 2018 5:38 PM PST

There are a ton of fantasy creatures and factions out there to choose from? What ones does everyone want to see eventually in Pantheon?

Orcs- Maybe I'm odd but I want to see orcs as viscous blood thirsty monsters rather than what, dare I say it, WoW has turned them into. In fact I'm a firm believer in the whole idea that orcs burst out of seed pods as orclings and that is why they have no females in many fantasy worlds. They are viscous and fearless because they are essentially evolutionary advanced spores that spread the mature carnivorous fungus to whatever blood soaked fertile lands they die on so death is not so prohibiting as it is with other races.

Actual good religious zealots- Id like to see some very good enemies. Let's face it, we the players are pretty blood thirsty monsters who go around killing more than anything else in this entire world. An actual good group who has the support of true gods should hate us and want to bring us to justice. These guys see groups like us as an evil that must be cleansed to save the meek and humble of Terminus. They could be a particular race but make more sense to be a conglomerate of races who have missionaries and emmissaries all over the world attempting to bring peace and balance to the world. Just don't make it turn out that for some reason they are evil in secret. Such a cop out. Sometimes we have to really be the people who kill what's good and right in the world.

This post was edited by zendrel at January 28, 2018 5:51 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    January 28, 2018 7:50 PM PST

Great question, zendrel. Can't wait to read the responses.

• 207 posts
    January 28, 2018 8:54 PM PST

Big big big monsters....I want legendary battles....

• 29 posts
    January 28, 2018 9:02 PM PST

Kamikaze creatures with very low HP and a huge threat radius...I guess it equates to having more variety to the elementals. It gives an excuse to go mad with aoe damage... I do wonder about casting ranges though. Hydras, unless something mysterious copywrited them. Buildings that can attack players (ex. Obelisk of Light). Skeleton knights on armored horses or a Dullahan. Living walls, doors, chests, etc. Rocs. Horned Vampire Fish. Evil Eyes. Wurms (not wing-less dragons). Ball Lightning. Giant Enemy Crabs. Weird invisible men that are non-kos and that no one can see. Zombie elephants...a treant lich (or just evil, creepy treants). Black sorcerer cats. Vicious dogs that can climb vertical slopes. Doppelgangers. 

I guess i'll stop there unless I make another abomination.

• 247 posts
    January 28, 2018 10:21 PM PST

Pick up a 1st editions  dnd monster manuals 1 +2 and  Fiend folio  take all the  mobs from them and im good if a dev needs one let me know

• 37 posts
    January 29, 2018 12:04 AM PST

big epic raids bosses demanding 50+ people to kill.

big gods raids bosses demanding 50+ people to kill.

dragons, giants, huge spiders, ghosts, humanoids frogs monsters (guk style), lizzards, sharks, snakes, eagles, drakes, skeletons, beholders, gnolls, orcs, goblins, whales, wolves, lions, hyenas, gelatinous cubes, oozes, etc etc, you got me, all that fantasy stuff and more...

basically i want monsters from EQ inside Pantheon + new monsters, all revamped, better everything....

• 98 posts
    January 29, 2018 9:22 AM PST

Weird or obscure mythological creatures! Like the Redcap, or the charcoal cruncher, etc.

Regarding the arrangement of mobs, I think seeing more than one of these supposedly rare creatures in one spot is a bit weird...but I know that's standard in MMOs.

• 123 posts
    January 29, 2018 9:44 AM PST

All medfan types of creatures / opponents are fine for me ... but please no alien stuff ...

• 220 posts
    January 29, 2018 10:03 AM PST
    Call me old fashioned but beholder , and thought flayer. Regarding giants tho I would like to see a smart, well-read, well-spoken race like the Thomas covenant series. First time I met saltheart foamfollower my mind was blown.
    • 89 posts
    January 29, 2018 10:35 AM PST

I would like to see a big difference between the native fauna of Terminus.... the things that co-existed with the dragons... and the things that have joined Terminus like we did: via collisions

It sounds like there were no humanoids on the planet prior to the collisions, so any humanoid mobs we encounter would have to be either offshoots of the official races or the product of other collisions that might have brought in, let's say, hundreds of thousands of Pirates.... yeah.... Pirates is a great humanoid example

I don't know specifically how collisions work, but it sounds like they just sucked in portions of specific races from specific worlds, so they probably didn't bring along animals or plants to a large degree from wherever they came from, though other collsions could have brought in Beholders or Demons or other bad-guy type creatures, but it seems they would have been race/genus specific events as well, so I would think we'd find a huge colony of Beholders absent their usual accompanying Ithilids, Duerger, Hook-Horrors and various undead (unless some of those were the subject of their own collsions)

There of course could be lore based reasons for anything else happening, but that's my basic answer: I'd hope the mobs/enemies we see in Pantheon have a solid lore based reason for being there

• 2752 posts
    January 29, 2018 10:41 AM PST

In addition to all the standards: 

Mindflayer, Aboleth, Hobgoblin, Maenad, Troglodytes, Gorgon, Lamia, Doppelganger (how cool would it be to have a mob turn into a party member?), Medusa, Sahuagin, Formian, Barghest, Naga & Snakefolk, Dromite, Jelly/Ooze/Gelo, Kolyarut, Couatl, Satyr, Beholder, Homunculus, Djinni, Dryad, Hydra, Pegasus, Unicorn, Rust Monsters, etc

• 172 posts
    January 29, 2018 10:54 AM PST
    Obviously a demigorgon lmao
    • 28 posts
    January 29, 2018 11:42 AM PST

Multi-headed dragons that each head has different attacks/defenses and HP so that you need to kill each head individually.

• 1281 posts
    January 29, 2018 1:07 PM PST

I hope to see enemies that have a range of defenses. Damage reduction vs certain types of weapons or bane bonuses vs others. Things like that.

Also, maybe have enemies be more atmospherically appropriate. Say, you won't see bats out in the middle of a sunny day, more at night. Basically, more appropriate night/day differences in enemies.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 29, 2018 1:29 PM PST
    • 74 posts
    January 29, 2018 1:46 PM PST

Is it so much to ask for dinosaurs? I'm sure their dino-god civilization got sucked to Terminus at some point.

• 142 posts
    January 29, 2018 1:48 PM PST

I recently finished reading a series called "The Demon Cycle". I would love to see a Pantheon take on the creatures from these books. 

Theyre noctornal only. So Pantheon could go the Kithicor route and have a zone or two...or various areas in several zones...see these demons rise as the sun sets.

They were all based on different elements and had different attributes and abilities. Fire Demons, Rock demons, Water Demons. Stone, Tree, Swamp, Bog, Snow, Sand, Wind. Etc etc.

• 14 posts
    January 29, 2018 2:06 PM PST

Im fine with whatever is decided.  I'm sure there will be tons of mobs with new art and some twists on creatures we all recognize, like an extra horn or bigger teeth. Reading up there was some mention of Beholders and Mindflayers.  Im sure there's some way of doing it w/o copyright infrigement.

However, what I don't want to see is The same skin/model used for multiple mobs.   Making the "boss" a larger version of other mobs in the dungeon is fine I guess. But using the same model for one set of creatures on one side of the world, and changing the color of them on the other side of the world is lazy.  Just please avoid the "red ones are tougher" cliche.  

• 470 posts
    January 29, 2018 2:13 PM PST

As far as the non raid or boss types, I want to see undead in creepy areas (be neat to see undead raise that are based on player character models that had died in the area). Possibly some vampires and werewolves, orcs, giants of various types, griffons, ooze, mindflayers, beholders and at least one snake that can kick. ;)

This post was edited by Kratuk at January 29, 2018 2:15 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    January 29, 2018 2:14 PM PST

Ideally enemies with a *reason* for the enmity, beyond our need for experience and loot.

If all I know is that there is a tribe of orcs down the road and I go and slaughter them and steal their possessions I am an evil racist ....well OK specist ..... unless I have a reason to believe killing these orcs is good for the world or at least my local friends and allies. This assumes that I am not a bloodthirsty evil character, of course.

I much prefer some background and some logic to it. If the orcs are the enemies to my friends the goblins, why? Is there any history to it? Is one species xenophopic or are they competing for resources or maybe the enmity is based on religion.

IMO the worst thing in a quest is to simply be told "kill 10 orcs and I'll reward you" where you do it just for the reward and had the orcs offered a better reward for killing the goblins you would have happily killed 10 of *them*. Or, worse, where each side rewards you and no one notices that you are killing *them* just a freely as their enemies. Well not freely, for a reward.

This post was edited by dorotea at January 29, 2018 2:16 PM PST
    • 107 posts
    January 29, 2018 2:48 PM PST
    High end boss mobs that roam areas. Maybe in the minority here too but I love the fear of being in an area that is great for grouping in only to feel the ground shake and hear a roar. That thick jungle might look cool but you didn't see the Trex pathing right into you. Or the shadow of something huge flying overhead crosses your path and you realise, a dragon must have seen you. Then even though you know you can't get away you run for it to the safety of the zone wall. You wont make it but you do it anyway.
    • 363 posts
    January 29, 2018 3:56 PM PST

Although the old staples will be nice, I hope to see more original mob types in Pantheon. Sure, have your orcs and goblins, but also have something we haven't really seen before. Seeing as how the playable races are not exactly cookie cutter, I believe that the dev team will live up to the challenge of creating varied mob types. Maybe Donald Trump as a raid boss?!? 

• 87 posts
    January 29, 2018 4:16 PM PST

coeurdelion said:

big epic raids bosses demanding 50+ people to kill.

big gods raids bosses demanding 50+ people to kill.

dragons, giants, huge spiders, ghosts, humanoids frogs monsters (guk style), lizzards, sharks, snakes, eagles, drakes, skeletons, beholders, gnolls, orcs, goblins, whales, wolves, lions, hyenas, gelatinous cubes, oozes, etc etc, you got me, all that fantasy stuff and more...

basically i want monsters from EQ inside Pantheon + new monsters, all revamped, better everything....

I prefer 24 man raids, but it would be kind of cool to have certain raid mobs (Gods?) that support up to 48 people requiring atleast 2 different guilds to kill. This would encourage Alliances and sister guilds.

This post was edited by Keiiek at January 29, 2018 4:18 PM PST
    • 29 posts
    January 29, 2018 5:45 PM PST

Looks like I'm the only fan of "inanimate" enemies.

I would also like wraiths or "ghost-like" figures that travel across snow as blinding white clouds and that can vanish into the snow during battle. Creepy living icicles that make loud sounds when they start falling. Barbarian fire elementals with flaming CURVED claymores that attack in groups out of vents. Geomancers with giant floating rock shields that create earthquakes. A kingdom in the sky full of air elementals, lightning spiders, etc (more like a cloudy city rather than an area of floating islands). "Pain and Suffering", the legendary enemy that killed everyone in EverQuest. A city full of just necromancers and undead. Faces on the walls (that may or may not attack). Ropers, because no one will get used to Ropers. Small laughing devils with axes. Skeletal witches. Military deserters and traitors. Your own self...the greatest enemy.

• 258 posts
    January 29, 2018 5:52 PM PST

For some reason I really like killing crocidilian humanoids, like the Sobekites from DAoC. Also, killing goblins, orcs, minotaurs, and kobolds is very satisfying.

Would be cool to have some big baddy of a Hydra that requires 100+ people and has 7 heads that each have to be tanked individually. :D

• 4 posts
    January 29, 2018 6:15 PM PST

Raidil said:

Pick up a 1st editions  dnd monster manuals 1 +2 and  Fiend folio  take all the  mobs from them and im good if a dev needs one let me know

Yes!!!!