Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What kinds of enemies do you hope to see?

• 1315 posts
    February 1, 2018 10:45 AM PST

I am guilty of wanting various Mega fauna / dinosaurs.  Walking through a forest looking for herbs then being surprised by a tree being knocked over by a 20 ton gentle giant just sounds cool.  Mega fauna can be used some times as effectively moving environment, bonus points if that hill with a rare spawn herb is actually a giant turtle that you can both climb on and kill.

• 2 posts
    November 18, 2022 2:09 AM PST

Here's to anything but "dinosaurs". A fantasy adventure just isn't the same with those fictive creatures ;-)

• 888 posts
    November 19, 2022 1:14 AM PST

I have some original ideas and a variation of an existing creature.

#1 Eternals:
    The undying body of former people who sought immortality and were tricked into accepting a cursed bargain that promised their hearts would never stop beating. All that remains of them is a clear humanoid body with only its arteries, veins, and beating heart visible through its body. The arteries glow red with each heart beat and the blood fades from red to a corrupted, black as it returns back to the heart. These haunted, soulless abominations can't be killed. When defeated in combat, they rise again after only a few minutes, so if you're luck enough to survive, you want to be far, far away by the time they rise again.

#2 The Unseen:
    It looks an ordinary statue, then suddenly, if you get too close, the whole screen goes black for a few seconds and there's a horrid, high-pitch scream. It attacks and moves in the total, unnatural darkness. After a few seconds, light returns and the creature is a motionless statue again, only this time it's right next to you and it's face is contorted into a frightening visage with your blood dripping off its bared fangs. These creatures are never seen in motion and if you see one, odds are there will be more of them after the next time everything goes black. Each time the light returns, they are in a different pose.

#3 Diasma
    It appears to be a shambling creature with jerky movement. When defeated, it's body splits open and something that looks like the cross between a centipede and a starfish crawls out of the body and runs at the nearest party member. It jumps on that person's head, covers the face, and tries to force its way down the mouth and inside the person's body. All damage done to the creature is also done to the party member, so you have to be careful with how you kill it. If it gets inside, it controls the character and attacks allies with jerky movements. The player gets control of the character back when it dies or after a few minutes if not in combat (when the Diasma leaves the body to find a new host). Note that these creatures can infect all kinds of NPCs, including bosses.

#4 Mimics:
    Looks like treasure, but when activated, it mimics the player who activated it and attacks that player. The UI should make it impossible to tell who is who, so the party needs to figure out a way to tell them apart. Note that the mimic will mimic behavior too (like jumping) and both will show as friendly initially to the party. There should be a UI element that players use to manually flag the one they think is the mimic as hostile so they can attack

• 2138 posts
    November 20, 2022 5:22 PM PST

Not so much enemies but zone- well actually enemies, sort of.

A real Griegs end.

Before the anti-PvP'ers get into a snit the foreknowledge or the discovery will be learning the zone. Different interesting creatures! a strange maze, some false walls and...random illusions cast on the players! to have them look like the creatures in the zone- BUT to make it a REAL greigs end- the name banners vanish so you ONLY have the look of the MoB to identify and- I guess to make it easy on the Devs-  the zone dynamic is as if it were an arena so everyone entering is entering an arena type situation (where you are in a state of duel or voluntary PvP upon entering). To make it complicated for the devs- only the one being illusioned will be in a state of duel. What this means is, adventurers go in, we all know who we are, fighting away working our way in, look at the cool monsters and *bloop* ADD! what? I didnt see it come in! -quick! root it aside!- I cant move I got rooted- wait! I'm a thought leech! - the thought leach is the add- no I am the add! I mean~ I am me! *bloop* another add! No thats me! I am a vampire but invis! wait! there are 9 in the room! THREE are adds! I mean ONE is the target and TWO are the adds!- Ouch! that was me!- Everybody real alamande left!- I can't-I'm rooted! 

A "real" greigs end *nod*

• 145 posts
    December 5, 2022 2:18 PM PST

Dragon's for sure, not too many, they need to remain rare and have that Awe affect. You always knew Lord Nagafen and Lady Vox by name, but honestly who cares about the 10 dragons lining the cliff outside of Temple of Veeshan.

Definitely would like to see some Orcs, those are classic baddies. I hope there are Dragoons too. I loved in EQ how you had to keep your head on a swivel because of a random "much higher than normal mob" lurking about. 

Goblins are a necessity as well. Most of the time they are lower level creatures, I would like to see some of them big bad and in your face. Skeleton's and/or zombies, mostly skele's because I want the skele laugh EQ has. 

Giants are good too. Vanguard raids were about 60% giants. Randomly thrown about like it was in a hurry but still had a good effect. 

Snakes/snake people always welcomed. Temple of Ssra in EQ, the snake dungeon in Vanguard can't remember what it was called. 

Gods are always good, I always felt a little bit cheery when we face rolled someone's God. Rallos Zek, Solusek Ro, Mith Marr etc...kinda left you feeling like there was nowhere to go after that, but they found a 4 headed dragon to finish it off and ways to make other things seem more important after that.

This post was edited by Moloka at December 5, 2022 2:20 PM PST
    • 49 posts
    December 6, 2022 7:58 AM PST
    For me the type is largely irrelevant. Could be anything from straight humans to inscectoids to crocodilians. What matters to me is variance within types. One easy way to achieve this is with equipment. Swords vs axes vs staves vs bows etc.
    • 2138 posts
    December 8, 2022 6:57 AM PST

HEVIS said:

A big giant inside a cave with bones of it's victims spread around in the floor. Maybe even go that far as when you defeat the giant inside the cave, necromancer of somekind would appear and ressurect the giant as undead with some backup from the dead bodies around? Would be cool and challenging fight imo.

Speaking of giants; IF there is to be significant size altering clickies or spells like shrink, please make the rare or hard to find "Grow" clicky or spell just as significant. By this I mean have the Grow clicky/spell be able to make you as big as a giant or at least close to, like stomach/chest high? and not just a measley 2 feet taller from a characters perspective. Or, if a shrink can be double clicked making you small-small have the same with Grow to make you size as above but maybe the pantheon difference will be: if you click shrink a third time you become tiny and can be blown away by wind so, useless or a third Grow click makes you unable to balance, clumsy, and you trip and fall alot causing significant damage when you fall so- watch those AE's!

I want to be able to RP fee-fi-fo-fum in a newbie city as well as use it effectively in a giant fort in a normal fight or sacrifice myself for the group by crouching, sticking my thumb in my mouth and blowing hard and sealing off the cramped underground cave chamber on all sides with my inflated size while the group escapes and I am stabbed by thousands of tiny swords from all tunnel points. Sure corpse retreival wil be a PITA, may just have to eat the exp loss.

• 10 posts
    December 8, 2022 12:43 PM PST

I would like to see a few mobs in the world that can damage your health/mana bars by inflicting a player with curse, hex or maybe becoming a temporary part of you. The bars can tick down slowly while under effect. Maybe we need to head to a holy place with a healer to have curses removed. Maybe your group too should you need to pry a malevolent entity from within you and destroy it. I miss the damaged HAM bars in SWG and needing to head back to a town/city to spend some time at the med center and cantina for some fixes and social time.

• 888 posts
    December 13, 2022 9:38 AM PST

Occultatum Oris:

A wide, 9' + long quadraped with muscular legs but no head or neck. It has two long tenticle-like appendages coming off the top middle of its body, each with one large eye on the end. It uses these eyes to peer over and around obstacles. Both eyes are always moving back and forth as it scans its surroundings for prey.  

If it sees you, both of its eyes will fix on you and it will charge at you. When it gets close, it rears up on two legs, revealing a monstrously large mouth along its underside that takes up almost the entire space between its four legs. This hidden mouth has rows of foot-long needle-like teeth. The eye tentacles will swing to either side of its body when it stands up, so that one is on each side at waist height, looking forward. 

Its mouth opens impossibly wide and it tries to fall forward on top of you to bite you in half. Anywhere these creatures live has corpses of the back half of animals. 

The top and sides of the creature are tough, so it takes reduced damage when on all four legs, but its underside is vulnerable. Its attack is a high-damage piercing attack, but damage is reduced vs plate armor. Keep it away from lightly armored group members at all costs.

If it can't get to its target, it will rear up, open its mouth, and spit stomach acid that can cause knockdown. It's young are too small to fall onto characters but they will latch onto legs and start chewing.

• 49 posts
    December 19, 2022 7:19 AM PST
    So for me it isn't so much about the type of enemies but about how well they fit within the world. I wouldn't mind human enemies, or Bland orc enemies, as long as the weapons they wield make sense. As long as they have a food supply nearby. Or are clearly living out of some nearby camp. So if you want to add gigantic molten minotaurs, go right ahead, but make sure to put them in a volcanic cave Far From Any Human habitation.
    • 135 posts
    December 25, 2022 2:53 PM PST
    I can't imagine a mmo without dragons.

Sea creatures seems necessary in underwater areas like a jellyfish- manta ray, evil mermaid?

I would also like in snow regions yeti- snow leopards, it would be hilarious to have a snow hare- rabbit boss.

Molten minotaurs is interesting, fire giant , lava dragon boss?
    • 724 posts
    December 26, 2022 9:43 AM PST

Irritating MOBs that have to be tracked and trapped to engage.  Something that hides in the brush or shadows and tossed stones or other objects at the player and will flee if the player gets too close or the player only attacks with a ranged skill. The only way to get them is using teamwork or setting traps. The engagement must first stop them or root them, once within melee range the creature will fight to the death.  

This post was edited by StoneFish at December 26, 2022 9:44 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 26, 2022 10:40 AM PST

ImmerseMe said: So for me it isn't so much about the type of enemies but about how well they fit within the world. I wouldn't mind human enemies, or Bland orc enemies, as long as the weapons they wield make sense. As long as they have a food supply nearby. Or are clearly living out of some nearby camp. So if you want to add gigantic molten minotaurs, go right ahead, but make sure to put them in a volcanic cave Far From Any Human habitation.

I entirely agree.

• 888 posts
    December 27, 2022 8:55 AM PST

The following ideas could work as Traits, spells, or full-blown NPCs with the listed aspect as its defining characteristic:

1. NPC that mind controls all nearby non-sentient animals to attack. This NPC tries to stay hidden, so often you will not even see it when you're suddenly swarmed by animals. The key is to find and kill the animal controlling NPC as fast as possible. 
    2. NPC that, when it thinks it's about to die, blows itself up and does massive AoE damage. It could be a creature covered in quills, an autonomataun, a magma/lightning elemental, etc.
    3. NPC that makes copies of the group's summoned creatures, only the copies are much more powerful. A chaos magic summoner.
    4. NPC that mimics the appearance,  class, and abilities of whomever it's fighting (but still has it's own, larger HP and additional  armor). So it might look and behave like the group's tank, then switch to a different character if aggro shifts.
    5. NPC with a magic shield that causes it to teleport right next to whomever last damaged it. Or it could teleport everyone next to it (while also having some devastating AoE attacks).
    • 144 posts
    December 27, 2022 11:34 AM PST

Hello,

what I really would like to see is actual real NPCs that roam, go about there life and do not simply stand around as static creatures except when they are supposed to (like guards). 

I know, I am a bit ambitious here and it goes against the "find a spot to XP" but what I saw in the gobling didn't fill completly natural. There should be gobs walking around doing their stuff like real creatures.

You may have guards, gobs that sleep, gobs that cook and gobs that go in and out hunting for food outside, gobs that carry stuff from one room to the other, gobs that go visit friends.

Same goes for the troll that was seen as a static NPC waiting under the bridge. Make him roam. This will alleviate somehow the camping a spot question, and make it more dangerous in general to engage

a NPC as you have to plan the spot where you are going to fight because otherwise you might engage him in a spot that is otherwise also occupied by other unfriendly mobs that might want to join the fight.

• 333 posts
    March 16, 2023 9:46 PM PDT

I just have to say it!

Lions , tiger's and bear's OH MY!

• 3852 posts
    March 17, 2023 8:28 AM PDT

What kinds of enemies do I hope to see? Dead ones.

• 520 posts
    March 19, 2023 11:22 AM PDT

I just want to see large variety of mobs and not just the reuse of several kinds with different colour, name and level range.  

• 78 posts
    March 19, 2023 1:15 PM PDT

I want to be able to kill a panda.

• 3852 posts
    March 19, 2023 4:15 PM PDT

mallanb81 said:

Too cute and furry - they will never pander to this desire.

• 372 posts
    March 19, 2023 7:26 PM PDT

mallanb81 said:

Why?  Sheesh!  No, that's cool.  I think I'd like to see enemies that have a chance to do something devistating like turn you to stone.  Don't ask me how this would work, I'm not a game designer.