Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What kinds of enemies do you hope to see?

• 73 posts
    January 29, 2018 6:47 PM PST

This...

gertdoggy said:

Multi-headed dragons that each head has different attacks/defenses and HP so that you need to kill each head individually.

Also, if you're adding in random spawning lootable treasure chest...  mimics. It would be great for people who like to run ahead a loot stuff before others even know it's there.

I think it would be interesting to have creatures underground that can be stumbled upon or discovered if you were to have a Ranger in the group.

• 15 posts
    January 29, 2018 6:54 PM PST

Well, if the environment and world are key...what about a rock or plant (or really anything) that looked like any one of the normal rocks or plants (or again, anything), yet was some sort of mimic predator type thing. Either randomly, or by some sort of trigger, it would enter predator mode, come out of hiding and attack the party. Maybe those with high perception or meditate could uncover them early, giving the party an advantage.

This post was edited by madmike556mm at January 29, 2018 6:56 PM PST
    • 287 posts
    January 29, 2018 7:56 PM PST
    Definitely evil mobs that are in creepy areas. I want demons, ghosts, even a Balrog (LOTR) type creature that lurks deep in a dungeon. As a paladin i want to seek out this evil to destroy.

On the other hand, I love the idea of religious zealot mobs hunting us.
    • 287 posts
    January 29, 2018 7:59 PM PST
    One more thing. I want mobs that are invisible!!! How fun would that be? Make a reason to need a see invisible spell.
    • 839 posts
    January 29, 2018 9:06 PM PST

Radeon said:

Kamikaze creatures with very low HP and a huge threat radius..

I dont know if anyone remembers them, but i loved wights from Myth - The fallen lords.  They were a bit like as described above, would be cool if we had mobs that kind of lurk around, wait till a group is engaged and then try to come in while your not aware and... boom do a ton of AoE damage if your caught napping.  They also had a great lil AI script which meant they would not approach ranged fighters in Myth who were clued to them. Obviously a MMO and its player characters are working differently regarding this kind of thing, but maybe they could have an AI which see's them not approach when players are looking at them and or only approach groups when players are fighting other monsters.

Cant find a good video on wights creating havok.. but they were a memorable addition to the game! (especially when they were hiding underwater waiting for units to cross the bridges in multiplayer)

• 3237 posts
    January 29, 2018 10:37 PM PST

Aayden said: Obviously a demigorgon lmao

Indeed!  Can we just pull out the entire D&D booklet and start picking things randomly?  I remember reading through the books when I was younger and getting lost in fantasy land.  How cool would it be to see a Coliseum in the world of Terminus where adventurers could battle armies of exotic creatures for sport?  Here is an old idea I shared awhile back that I might put some more thought into:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5217/coliseum/view/page/1

• 15 posts
    January 30, 2018 1:16 AM PST

A big giant inside a cave with bones of it's victims spread around in the floor. Maybe even go that far as when you defeat the giant inside the cave, necromancer of somekind would appear and ressurect the giant as undead with some backup from the dead bodies around? Would be cool and challenging fight imo.

• 2756 posts
    January 30, 2018 7:06 AM PST

I do hope that Pantheon won't make Orcs and other 'evils' into some twee, almost cute, misunderstood version of the despicable, disgusting creatures high fantasy used to contain.  I prefer my 'monsters' to be 'monsters'.

This is a game, and I don't want to have an internal philosophical debate over how I feel about killing the foes I'm killing.

There is always a choice in which 'faction' you back, of course, but please let's make it clear what those factions represent.

I suppose there is *some* fun to be had in challenging the stereotypical moral alignments... but modern MMORPGs have often taken that way too far so as to make nothing evil/good/lawful/chaotic.

As for what creatures I specifically want to see, of course Orc-kin (I guess we are talking pig-people of what ever mythos you prefer) are awesome foes we love to hate.  Goblins, because even orcs need someone to kick.  Goblins just kick each other I guess!

Dragons of course!  And their lizardman dragon-kin.  Elemental-breathed, spell-casting, super-intelligent, flying lizards rule! (literally, quite often).

I love lots of undead, from skeletons, through vampires, up to Liches.  Ghosts, ghouls, zombies, etc. The more the merrier.  Kind of.

Brain-biters and melters are always fun!  Beholders, Mind-Flayers and Psionics that annoyingly defy Magic Resistence.  There is nothing more frightening than your own party turned against you!...

Mischievious fairy-kin are fun.  Pixies, brownies, wisps, etc are satisfying to squash, especially if they squeak.

Elementals and golems are a staple monster for good reason.

Giants!  It's great to hack at their varyingly flavoured ankles until they "tiiiimbeeeeer!" fall

Demons and Devils! Angels and cherubs!  There's lots of scope for varying levels and circles of holy and unholy creatures as you ascend or decend toward heaven and hell.  I know it's perhaps a very western mythos, but other cultures have their equivalent and most dieties have hierarchies of weird and wonderful minions and representatives.  I always find it fascinating to think your character, as a mere mortal, can challenge the divine.  At least their henchmen, anyway!

Dinosaurs!  It's an old trope, but still fun to discover a 'hidden valley' where behemoth reptiles haven't evolved for a million years.

• 120 posts
    January 30, 2018 7:42 AM PST

I would love to see guards / faction leaders with real loot tables. Not trying to push for more PvP, I just think they stand around and don't do much except for fill space and crush trains. If someone is willing to destroy their faction for some xp / loot then that is cool. I think it adds depth to the game. I do understand giving bankers / certain NPC's non-agro status so that area doesn't lose efficacy.

• 69 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:32 AM PST
    Out of all the crazy monsters and creatures in these games, my favorite enemies are always humanoids.
    • 9 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:50 AM PST

Really what I would like to see is a more diverse acquatic monster base.  Not just in water only zones but in ponds, lakes, oceans.  I feel like most MMOs only have fish and sharks in them.  Some have sand based mobs on land but act like a crab can't go into the water.  I also love major bosses in different enviroments.  Lets see a Ocean epic monster, or one that you have to have flight to fight.  

• 793 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:51 AM PST

I like monsters and beasts, but I also like aggressive humanoid groups. Pirates, theives, bandits, nomads, gypsies, gangs, militant outcasts.

• 107 posts
    January 30, 2018 9:06 AM PST

Baldo said:

Really what I would like to see is a more diverse acquatic monster base.  Not just in water only zones but in ponds, lakes, oceans.  I feel like most MMOs only have fish and sharks in them.  Some have sand based mobs on land but act like a crab can't go into the water.  I also love major bosses in different enviroments.  Lets see a Ocean epic monster, or one that you have to have flight to fight.  

Agreed! The water should be VERY trecherous. So many people hate underwater areas but I LOVE them. I also like a lot of other ideas here like the mimics for loot chests or plants or rocks in the area. Monsters burrowed underground that pop up when you aren't expecting it but maybe like a ranger can detect them. And someone talked about bad guys having a reason to be bad. I agree with that too and that's why I always liked the viscous plant-grown orcs ideas. They are grown from pods in a fungus that only grows on the corpses of their enemies. This makes war just a part of their life cycle which is pretty scarey and there is no way to negotiate with that kind of enemy.

• 1315 posts
    January 30, 2018 10:53 AM PST

I like monsters with damage reduction and other defensive powers/environments that require specific planning and tools to defeat. Challenges like needing a monster to be in a light spell or effected by a burn to prevent the monster from regenerating.  Constantly needing to burn short term buff items to even be able to stay in a zone, at least without suffering major negatives, is also another tool for variation.  Call it entering a negative energy plane, you need to sacrifice a specially made talisman to hold off the negative effects of the plane. For every 30 seconds in the plane without the item your effective level and skill caps go down by one level.

These types of things will help make it so that there are no true best in slot items and that the highest reward areas also require a significant expenditure to access even for maxed out end game characters.

Trasak

• 172 posts
    January 30, 2018 11:19 AM PST

oneADseven said:

Aayden said: Obviously a demigorgon lmao

Indeed!  Can we just pull out the entire D&D booklet and start picking things randomly?  I remember reading through the books when I was younger and getting lost in fantasy land.  How cool would it be to see a Coliseum in the world of Terminus where adventurers could battle armies of exotic creatures for sport?  Here is an old idea I shared awhile back that I might put some more thought into:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5217/coliseum/view/page/1

I really like the idea of the collesium for controlled pve and pvp purposes.  Could end up being a fun mini game system with leader boards and maybe some fun, collesium related rewards or titles.

• 2 posts
    January 30, 2018 7:56 PM PST

VicNuggets said:

This...

gertdoggy said:

Multi-headed dragons that each head has different attacks/defenses and HP so that you need to kill each head individually.

Also, if you're adding in random spawning lootable treasure chest...  mimics. It would be great for people who like to run ahead a loot stuff before others even know it's there.

I think it would be interesting to have creatures underground that can be stumbled upon or discovered if you were to have a Ranger in the group.

I like both of these ideas, Mimics have always had a certain appeal to me. It might be cool to have a rogue "scout" treasure to make sure its the real deal.

• 249 posts
    January 31, 2018 6:16 AM PST
    I would love to see unique high level roamers. Things that make you stop and back up when you see them. They could be small and deadly like the Brownies in lfay. Or the unicorns. Or a roaming dragoon. A flying griffin. A dragon perhaps? But definitely mobs that aren't common that both pique your interest and set off alarms. And I don't want them to just be deadly to low levels players...some of them should take a group of high lvl players to take down.
    • 769 posts
    January 31, 2018 7:50 AM PST

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but one of the very first RPG's I played as a kid was Dragon Warrior 1. 

Anyone remember 'Slimes'? Or the very rare 'Metal Slime'?

Let's get some slimes. 

But on a more serious note, I want more flying creatures. When scouting an overland area, or simply just running through, it would add another dynamic when we have to not only keep our eyes peeled to the ground, but also look to the sky for any dive-bombing Gryffins or Wyverns. And not those floating Griffin's in EQ that were essentially landlocked. I want these suckers to be way up high, so often the first hint you get is its shadow as it comes at you. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at January 31, 2018 7:52 AM PST
    • 11 posts
    January 31, 2018 9:44 AM PST

For me I always always ALWAYS loved the zone in EQ called Unrest. Just starting off the basic ghouls and skeletons to the more horrifying hags and even deeper still the freaky monsters and wombats in the basement. 

Not to metion Castle mistmoore....

SO for me, Undead, Zombies, Liches, Horrible flesh animations, Vampire lords .. who knows a strange fungus or plague that causes abnormal behavior

...Think I should main a paladin 

• 363 posts
    January 31, 2018 2:04 PM PST

Sixstringer said:

Raidil said:

Pick up a 1st editions  dnd monster manuals 1 +2 and  Fiend folio  take all the  mobs from them and im good if a dev needs one let me know

Yes!!!!

This would actually be very cool.

• 690 posts
    January 31, 2018 2:07 PM PST

I would like to see the occasional odd rare spawn

Be it something comical like a death rabbit or something that's wayy too powerful/weak for the spot it just spawned in

• 220 posts
    January 31, 2018 6:10 PM PST

spirit chickens, spider bats (8 winged bats), and trogdor the burninator

• 123 posts
    January 31, 2018 9:09 PM PST

For some reason I want to see the following creatures in Pantheon:

• Spiders
    • Rats
    • Snakes

And not just 1 type, having them scattered throughout the different zones would be the best.

• 1860 posts
    January 31, 2018 9:52 PM PST

Rust monsters

• 1 posts
    February 1, 2018 10:35 AM PST

No Asian MMO style creatures that look like they belong in a scifi type game. But would like the more traditional style DnD type mobs.