Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How much do you like crafting in MMORPGs?

• 2756 posts
    July 25, 2018 9:17 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Crafting - How much do you like crafting in MMORPGs, is crafting something you expect to be in-game and how important do you think it is for the game even if you don't craft? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I haven't enjoyed crafting in an MMORPG in quote a while.

Yes, I expect it to me in an MMORPG these days *in some form*.

I will craft if it's interesting and useful, but I think it *can be* still important even if it's not something I enjoy.

I can still enjoy gathering resources for those that are crafting.  I'm hoping that most 'junk' will actually be something useful to crafters (especially if the concept of 'breaking' things like dropped armor into resources is in game).

Crafting is still secondary to adventuring to me, but I would like to see it *enhancing* adventuring not being a total alternate.  I want to see swords sharpened, armor bolstered, cloaks lined, helmets adorned, etc. Nothing game breaking - something that might even need repeating, but something worthwhile.  At higher levels I want to see items enchanted, gem slots filled, insignias added, etc.

In short, I don't think crafted stuff should be better than adventured, but I'd be interested to see adventured items *enhanced* by crafting such that everyone is interested.

Having just gone back and played Fallout 4 and enjoyed the crafting there greatly, I would love something similar.

Oh, also, EQ2 making crafting an active minigame was a very interesting concept!...

• 523 posts
    July 25, 2018 11:28 PM PDT

Yeah, we're getting a crafting mini-game, they've already stated that.  Hopefully it will be more like Vanguard than EQ2 though.  I hope they copy EQ2's housing though, especially in relation to the Carpenter tradeskill.

• 264 posts
    July 26, 2018 10:25 PM PDT

If the crafting is good, I will do a lot of it. I expect crafting in MMORPGs in some form. Vanguard had the best crafting I've ever seen and in that game it was central to my experience, while in EverQuest crafting was mediocre and something peripheral to my experience. So it depends how good the crafting system is on how important it is to me.

• 119 posts
    July 30, 2018 6:02 AM PDT
    I adore crafting. Before I mostly participated in PvE, I made a minor name for myself in Ultima Online as a Grandmaster Blacksmith in the early days. I spent most of my time mining, smithing, stocking my vendors and socializing. Ive always been a bit disheartened since then, because no game i try ever seems to allow me to focus on crafting to that extent. I had meager combat skills and barely enough Magery to let me teleport around for my trade, but I was quite happy that way because i enjoyed supplying folks with wares, doing repairs and whatnot.

If the crafting system is robust enough in this game, I could see myself being a full time crafter, part time adventurer again. Long time no see, that style.
    • 8 posts
    August 1, 2018 12:19 PM PDT

Cannot stand crafting. Hate every minute of it.

Quests that require crafting for non-crafters is the ultimate F U.. i /ragequit after that.

If others like it great!.. ill buy what i need off u.. but don't force me to craft anything.

• 2756 posts
    August 3, 2018 2:57 AM PDT

Mathir said:

Yeah, we're getting a crafting mini-game, they've already stated that.  Hopefully it will be more like Vanguard than EQ2 though.  I hope they copy EQ2's housing though, especially in relation to the Carpenter tradeskill.

Ooo I missed the minigame comments. Can you tell me where they were? Ta

• 151 posts
    August 3, 2018 4:44 AM PDT

Tradeskilling has been boring in every single game I have played.  I will do it only as much as I am forced to so that my character isn't missing out on something important.

• 129 posts
    August 3, 2018 6:45 AM PDT

Harvesting/Crafting is essential to MMORPGs.

At some point, I believe it could even be a class of its own, with its pros and cons.

Pros :

-When harvesting, you get a % bonus ressources, that adventurer classes don't get when they harvest.

-When crafting, you get a % materials back, that adventurer classes don't get when they craft.

-When fighting in a group, you can apply a "loot bonus" debuff on mobs, which increase loot coins and rare loot tables. Or that could be a "find extra loot" skill used on corpses instead.

-Your harvesting and crafting skills cap higher than adventurer classes. High-end ressources and high-end crafts can only be harvested and crafted with these higher skills caps.

-Bonus when buying/selling from NPC.

Cons :

-You are not a fighter. You cannot equip a weapon. Instead, you can equip additional bags in your mainhand, offhand, and ranged slots.

-You are not a caster either. No magic for you.

-You are not a tank. You're wearing self-made clothes, with harvesting bonus stats on it when you go harvesting, or another set with bonus crafting when crafting.

-You have some evasive skills (that cannot be abused as tanking skills, but maybe can be used as pulling skills ?), because you're used to running away from danger. You're definately not an adventurer.

Balance issues :

A 6-man group with 6 adventurers would certainly kill/farm faster than a group or 5 + 1 harvester/crafter.

To balance this, the harvester/crafter gives bonus loot to the party, and his extra bags allows the group to gather more vendor loot before being full bags.

In other words, you trade less xp/time for more loot/time.

The 5 adventurers can fully focus on chain pulling and fighting, no time wasted on loots, the harvester/crafter is the guy in charge for looting.

That would be quite an uncommon class in MMOs, but I believe it could be something, because of the high player-interaction such a class could bring : you would need some of these in raids for extra loot, you need some of these in a guild for high-end crafts, etc...

This post was edited by bobwinner at August 3, 2018 6:48 AM PDT
    • 23 posts
    August 6, 2018 8:00 AM PDT
    I was there for the banded bronze cobalt armor days and they were short lived 20-50. EQ as a game surpassed player crafted armor and weapons within one expansion. Thereafter? Lol, crafting was useless for gear. Sure consumables but gear, no. By the time I made for my bard melodic gear which at the time was arduous, he had replaced it with a drop or gear I bought in a far shorter effort than crafting. In sum, the effort needed to make gear that required raid drops did not outstrip the value stat wise of gear from the same raid boss. Time, risk, reward, it just wasn’t worth it. And so far none of you have given a good example of how crafting outside consumables really shone.
    • 23 posts
    August 6, 2018 8:09 AM PDT
    Gah I meant Abysmal armor. Point in case, Lambent Armor replaced crafted sets early on. What crafted gear outshone Melodic and Twilight? Nothing. There was no crafted set which crafted sets were long and involved requiring rare and hard to get components were worth it in the end. How many components and ingredients sat in my bank while I collected the missing pieces but was already wearing better from raiding even though raid drops were required for the crafted piece and was a no drop craft to boot. Utter waste of time.