16gb G.Skill DDR4 3200mhz

MSI GamingPro Motherboard

EVGA SuperNova 750w PSU

Fractal Design Define S Mid-ATX

Samsung M.2 120gb

Western Digital 500gb SSD

Western Digital Black 1TB HDD

--

Most powerful rig i've ever built myself. So, I plan to crank it.

• 303 posts
    February 27, 2018 6:57 AM PST

I don't mind 'ugly' games at all but I absolutely can't stand to not max my monitor's fps. I will always drop settings until I have a stable 60 fps. I never got a 144hz monitor for that very reason, actually.

• 98 posts
    February 27, 2018 7:13 AM PST

I am awaiting some specs for Pantheon so I can decide on a new rig. So my answer hopefully will be crank it to max 8)

I figure late summer I hope to be building.

• 2419 posts
    March 1, 2018 7:08 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Do you crank the graphics up to max in the games you play for the best visual experience or are you more of a performance type of player with low to medium settings? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

In previous games I haven't, but with Pantheon I have spent quite a substantial sum of money building a beast of a machine to run this game at high resolutions at fast framerates with all the bells and whistles turned up as high as they go.

This is what is going to run my Pantheon experience:

MB:  Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
    CPU:  Intel i7-7820X 'Skylake X' 3.6Ghz
    RAM:  32GB (8gbx4) DDR4 3000
    VID: Asus ROG Strix GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB
    Storage (OS): Samsung 860 EVO Pro 600GB SSD
    Storage (Pantheon):  Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-e 3.0 x4
    Cooling (MB/CPU): EKWB Asus Strix X299 RGB Monoblock
    Cooling (Vid): EKWB GTX Ti Strix full card monoblock
    Rads: Dual XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm radiators (360x120x46mm)
    Reservoir/Pump Combos: Dual Enermax NEOChanger 400ML
    Case: Thermaltake Tower 900, Black
    Monitor: Viotek 35" 3440x1440 curved monitor

• 2138 posts
    March 1, 2018 7:37 PM PST

It depends, I like to see the spell/battle effects as well as the environment and the monster being beaten upon by the spell/battle effects. But if the spell effects become a barrage of colored lights and I can hardly see anything except basic outlines, I will crank it down. I want the full experience, but I also want to be able to see everything.

Thanks to all those posting specs. I too will be planning to maske a new a PC just for the release of pantheon and there are some very nice ideas I can use or tailor down to my procurment ability.

• 557 posts
    March 1, 2018 8:14 PM PST

I don't think there's ever been a worse (or better) time to build a new system.  There's some exciting new hardware out there, but the demand for it is vastly outstripping production and driving costs into the stratosphere.  The mobile phone industry and massive data centre expansions are gobbling up the production capabilities of the primary memory manufacturers like Samsung who make most of the RAM for the familiar memory brands and video card manufacturers.  The cryptocurrency miners are grabbing every high-end video card before they even hit the retail shelves, even though those same cards are selling for hundreds of dollars over MSRP.

There isn't a lot of relief on the horizon either.   Intel is re-entering the video card industry but probably won't have anything on the market until late 2019.   Nvidia and AMD both are promising new card lineups, professing their loyalty to the gamer market, but we're probably not going to see those until Q3/Q4 2018 or later.  Nor is there any reason to believe that the new cards won't be gobbled up by the crypto miners, again driving up prices far over MRSP. 

The average gamer, unless they've got major cash to burn is probably wise to not upgrade their gaming rig in 2018.

4K is probably further away from being a major factor in gaming than it was a year ago.  Current 4K monitors just aren't that impressive once you get past the initial wow factor.  They have slow refresh rates and suffer from tearing/stuttering, relying on card vendor-specific tricks like Nvidia G-Sync to make them look good.  Unlike previous jumps in video resolution, 4K is approaching what the human eye can resolve so many players don't even notice much difference with the upgrade.   The sweet spot may just remain at Quad HD or Ultra Wide for the next few years, in spite of a push in the TV industry towards 8K UHD.  

I think this is good news for independent gaming studios like Visionary Realms.  It allows them to focus more on content and less on keeping up with technology changes.  

It may also be somewhat good news if the trend to higher and higher video resolution is slowing down for gamers.  It means that the folks who are lagging behind the curve may have a chance to catch up with reasonably priced upgrade alternatives in the future.

Just my thoughts on how real life and real money are going to impact "To Crank or Not to Crank" in Pantheon.

This post was edited by Celandor at March 1, 2018 8:20 PM PST
    • 99 posts
    March 2, 2018 12:38 PM PST
    I like the graphics helps me get lost in the game. At the same time i got a 144hz set up and a beefy computer so im ready to run it at 100fps with graphics up.