Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

To Crank or not to Crank?

• 9115 posts
    February 5, 2018 3:54 AM PST

Do you crank the graphics up to max in the games you play for the best visual experience or are you more of a performance type of player with low to medium settings? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 2886 posts
    February 5, 2018 4:07 AM PST

It just depends on how much your comp can handle. Max graphics mean nothing if there's hitching. So you just have to determine the highest your comp can consistently handle without it looking more like a slideshow than a game.

• 483 posts
    February 5, 2018 4:20 AM PST

60 Fps is a must for me, the only thing I sacrifice 60 fps for is max view distance, everything else I don't mind turning down to the bare minimum. Saying that I would love for Pantheon to run well at medium-high settings XD.

• 780 posts
    February 5, 2018 4:24 AM PST

I've never been a graphics kind of guy.  I usually go for performance, but I definitely want to have both for this game.  The draw distance stuff convinced me.

• 37 posts
    February 5, 2018 4:24 AM PST

yes, i crank the graphics to the maximum, for me the better the graphics the better is the immersion.

I always keep my computer hardware up to date, i mean i upgrade the hardware every 2 years or so, so i will be ready to crank Pantheon to the maximum it can offer while still having great fps.

I hope Pantheon will be beautiful graphically among many others amazing  things it will offer.

• 10 posts
    February 5, 2018 4:42 AM PST

I crank it as high as possible while still maintaining 30-60FPS.

• 288 posts
    February 5, 2018 4:44 AM PST

I used to be a 60 fps guy, but since changing to a 144 hz monitor and seeing the difference, I literally cannot play a game these days without having at least 100+.  I'm also not a graphics guy as much so I don't really care how things look, so liking 144 fps isn't because i like how it looks, it changes the feel of the game, and the responsiveness of the controls dramatically and that's whats most important to me.

• 23 posts
    February 5, 2018 4:52 AM PST

Why not both ? As i have a Killer rig (i can play 4K games at constant 60FPS) i don't have to make a choice. In the worst case i'll turn the settings from max to very high just to be sure i have at least 60FPS all the time.

• 1315 posts
    February 5, 2018 5:22 AM PST

I find the highest settings that can achieve at least 45 fps though 60 fps is better.  I've been lazy about building a new rig so the settings have been pretty low recently.

This post was edited by Trasak at February 5, 2018 5:23 AM PST
    • 690 posts
    February 5, 2018 5:26 AM PST

I usually go for performance so I can have other things running at the same time

However, if a game has absolutely beautiful art, like dark souls, then I make an exception.

• 7 posts
    February 5, 2018 5:35 AM PST

I also set my graphics settings at max.  If my computer can't handle it, then it's time for an upgrade.  

• 626 posts
    February 5, 2018 6:28 AM PST

I try to get 100FPS and Max my settings as much as possible while staying above that. If the game is very stable I may be ok with 70 FPS but found that most games now have a 10-15FPS drop at any given time which makes me want to be at 100 increase I see the drop I'll still be well above 60... 

• 173 posts
    February 5, 2018 6:42 AM PST

kaeolin said:

I also set my graphics settings at max.  If my computer can't handle it, then it's time for an upgrade.  

My thoughts exactly.  Games are about my only hobby so they get the bulk of my disposable cash.  If an upgrade is needed then it is done :)

• 121 posts
    February 5, 2018 6:47 AM PST
    For starters, performance > all. If I sence even the tiniest bit of lag then graphics get lowered. Some things are standard though. Music is turned way down or off in order to hear clearly on voip. Grass often turned off to better see snakes, loot, or corpses. Spell effects on high for me and very low for everyone else. I want to see what's happening but not be blinded.
    • 557 posts
    February 5, 2018 7:45 AM PST

Depending on game performance on my machine, I sometimes adjust the settings based on what I'm doing.

If I'm exploring on my own, then I'll crank everything to "11" as I want to see everything in its radiant glory.

If I'm raiding, then I'm going to turn down many of the graphics features to maintain performance.

A very nice UI feature would be a HI/LOW toggle where you could define two profiles for your settings and then switch between them with a CLI command or slider switch in the options screen.

• 1303 posts
    February 5, 2018 7:53 AM PST

Both :) 

I crank up the graphics as much as I can early on and when I am exploring a new area. But I dial them back to high performance while actually fighting. While I love the visuals, and I agree that they are important, they don't mean crap if the gameplay is clunky. This is exactly why I can still thoroughly enjoy original EQ EMUs, and find little joy in so many (most? Almost all?) really beautiful modern MMOs. 

• 1785 posts
    February 5, 2018 8:10 AM PST

I push them as high as I can go without starting to really impact my framerate.  After all, pretty pictures are great, but if I can't participate in a group/raid fight because of framerate stuttering.... sadly, I'll have to tone it down.

• 422 posts
    February 5, 2018 8:19 AM PST

As long as the game is playable (meaning 40+ fps minimum) then I will crank up the settings to max. I paid a good bit of money for my PC for that exact reason. I want the best quality possible while keeping the game playable.

• 160 posts
    February 5, 2018 8:34 AM PST

Ideally, the game should allow me to save full, detailed sets of graphic options as named presets, and to be able to quickly switch between them.

Then I could make one preset for "Solo - high graphics quality", another for "Group - medium graphics and speed" and "Raid - high speed, lower quality". Possibly also some intermediate combinations.

Provide me with a drop-down box so I can quickly switch to any one of them.

Now, if you want a superb solution, as step 2 allow me to set options for automated switching, like this: let me set which of these presets will be turned on when I'm solo, which one when I'm in group, and which one when I'm in raid. You could even make 2 or 3 separate triggers for raids, based on the number of people in it - 24, 48, 72, so I could attach presets (defined by me) to each of them.

And make it so that this automatic switching is not instant (sometimes you get in and out of groups quickly, raid is being reorganized or something like that, and you don't want the graphic options to rapidly switch back and forth). Make it so that when the underlying condition has been stable for a minute or two or three, THEN switch.

• February 5, 2018 9:39 AM PST
    While the graphics can be pretty cool generally I play for performance on medium
    • 135 posts
    February 5, 2018 9:45 AM PST

I usually play on medium  graphics however, I do prefer to use best graphics setting. 

It depends on how much lag and Fps i'm experiencing.

• 25 posts
    February 5, 2018 9:50 AM PST

The only thing that bothers me but A LOT regarding graphics are Spell Effects like EQ1 where it becomes almost unplayable when you crank it up. Simply because you cannot see around very well.

Spell and Visual Effects need to be optimized for the gameplay.

• 108 posts
    February 5, 2018 9:52 AM PST

Graphics Maximus for pve..

For pvp Graphics Minimus!

• 123 posts
    February 5, 2018 10:20 AM PST

Always max graphics when I can, wanna enjoy the pretty world you build !

• 64 posts
    February 5, 2018 10:52 AM PST

I will sacrifice visuals for performance 100% of the time.

Last thing I need to is lose a raid encounter to a graphics stall because there are a million sparkles and thousands of shaded blades of grass to render. Grass will be the first thing I turn off when I log in.