Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Was The Best Bit?

• 9115 posts
    October 2, 2017 3:54 AM PDT

Now that the Technical Art stream is behind us, what was the part you liked the most? #PRF #Communitymatters

ICYMI: https://youtu.be/T3mr5_SDgsk

• 91 posts
    October 2, 2017 4:23 AM PDT

The ability, to loot other players? ;) j/k

http://forum.pantheonriseofthefallen.de/viewtopic.php?p=31047#p31047

(Found by Landbert)

• 624 posts
    October 2, 2017 4:38 AM PDT

Bruno's descriptions were fascinating, equally enjoyable to the eye candy. Best bit was the trees, no clouds, wait ... the water!  Curse the impressive progress, I cant decide.

• 1584 posts
    October 2, 2017 4:49 AM PDT

honestly i was amazed by basically everything, the way the grass moved, to the lighting, to the shadow and everything else, i have to say if i had to choose one it was the shadow due to it definately made a huge difference on to the terrain and didnt make the world look flat, if there was one thing i would change it would be to be able to see my hands holding my weapons when in first person, but that is so minor to everything else i saw, great job devs keep up the good work.

• 9115 posts
    October 2, 2017 5:28 AM PDT

lyrina said:

The ability, to loot other players? ;) j/k

http://forum.pantheonriseofthefallen.de/viewtopic.php?p=31047#p31047

(Found by Landbert)

Lol, I replied to your FB post mate but it isn't possible unless you're the owner of the corpse, it is just the mouse over symbol that hasn't been changed yet, believe me, I tried to loot their corpses a lot! haha :D

• 9115 posts
    October 2, 2017 5:28 AM PDT

Kumu said:

Bruno's descriptions were fascinating, equally enjoyable to the eye candy. Best bit was the trees, no clouds, wait ... the water!  Curse the impressive progress, I cant decide.

Haha, it is a tough choice, even for me! :)

• 9115 posts
    October 2, 2017 5:29 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

honestly i was amazed by basically everything, the way the grass moved, to the lighting, to the shadow and everything else, i have to say if i had to choose one it was the shadow due to it definately made a huge difference on to the terrain and didnt make the world look flat, if there was one thing i would change it would be to be able to see my hands holding my weapons when in first person, but that is so minor to everything else i saw, great job devs keep up the good work.

Glad to hear it my friend! :)

• 338 posts
    October 2, 2017 5:33 AM PDT

The thing I liked to see the most was the focus on optimization... very smart to do that from the start instead of trying to go back and do optimization passes at the end.

Kiz~

• 21 posts
    October 2, 2017 6:46 AM PDT

Proceduraly generated clouds, lighting and the focus on optimization this early in development. It's amazing how much of a difference lightning can make for a game. With the procedural clouds, it will add to the immersiveness even more! I remember Alpha and beta testing previous MMO's and their fps were no where near a constant 60, unless I was staring at the ground. XD 

• 1281 posts
    October 2, 2017 7:03 AM PDT

I liked all of it. However, I thought the view from the towers was cool. The lighting at the beginning was great looking too. The game has come a long way visually in just a few months.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 2, 2017 7:09 AM PDT
    • 200 posts
    October 2, 2017 7:13 AM PDT

The excitement / optimism of the game from those in the Stream..sounds a bit corny, but you can tell when someone is truly enjoying what they do and are wanting to get it out there for all to consume/enjoy their hard work.

Also, liked seeing the new idea regarding eagle eyes for Rangers to have insane range of visiiblity and have the game be technically capable of showing it.

Lastly, the intense desire to keep the enviornment coding and movements from memory leaks or wasted resources.  While all the flags being drawn at 1 time may have them all waving identically, I'd rather be able to enjoy the game at a higher FPS and beauty than most MMOs currently offer due to leaks/poor coding.

• 2 posts
    October 2, 2017 7:32 AM PDT

As silly as it sounds, my favorite part was the way the nameplates looked. Everything else was amazing, the clouds, water, shadows and the cave as a whole, but man those nameplates in the dark...

• 626 posts
    October 2, 2017 7:41 AM PDT

So I'll start small and build up to the clouds :). 

Overall everything was above all my expectations. When first looking at the Stream in early 2016 I thought of old school MMO's because it looked like an old school MMO. Then in Dec. I saw some updated graphics and thought that was as good as it gets. Everything looked great, and just knowing what the team was doing with gameplay and features I was excited with what we had in Dec. The same for the summer streams. I again saw a game that looked great to me, but this last stream... What the heck just happened... In a year we went from early 2000's graphics to 2020 graphics!! It looked amazing!

So highlights for me: 

Optimization - Hearing and seeing the game look this good and be that optimized this early on was huge for me! 

View Distance - The view distance in the game was insane. 

Shadows - Just wow.. great job. Really brought the game to life. 

Fat Orge - Cohh's Orge had a little belly on him. I actually was excited about this as it makes me think we will have some control over body type when making our characters. Maybe I looked into this too much, but still I like the beer belly Orge haha. 

Grass and Creatures - I loved how the snake was crawling through the grass and not on top of it. Felt real to me. 

Cave - Dark dark dark! Yes I loved the green mist, but I also loved when Cohh turned a corned and there was a spider right in front of him. It was hard to see at first due to the darkness and I loved it. I want it to be a spooky experience when we travel through cave systems. Also the cave wasn't this huge path to follow. Inside it a bunch of smaler tunnels which one could get lost in... I like that hehe. 

Water - I could fish for hours in water looking that good!

Clouds - Hearing that the clouds change with the weather and seeing them move across the screen was impressive. 

So short wrapup - I dream of the day when I can sit my Beer Belly Orge on the Waters edge fishing and watching the shadows of griffins fly over by day, and watching the clouds pass infront of the moon by night... 

• 91 posts
    October 2, 2017 7:45 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Lol, I replied to your FB post mate but it isn't possible unless you're the owner of the corpse, it is just the mouse over symbol that hasn't been changed yet, believe me, I tried to loot their corpses a lot! haha :D

I know, lol. But it was on Reddit, not Facebook ;-). AND i got bad karma, cause of this posting, hilarious :-P.

• 89 posts
    October 2, 2017 8:21 AM PDT

The caves.  Really nice lighting going on in there.

The outdoor lighting was too saturated imo.  And vsync was on i'm guessing.  I don't like how vsync effects depth of field.

Overall, excellent job.  Keep up the good work! 

• 1095 posts
    October 2, 2017 8:27 AM PDT

I thought the whole stream was good. Water and clouds were my favorite and the way the armor looks. But I'm still waiting to see the option to have your own name visible. 

• 1468 posts
    October 2, 2017 8:31 AM PDT

I loved the wooded area. It just looked so damn good. I mean everything looked good but I just love seeing trees in games for some reason and the clouds were amazing.

I remember when I first logged into Vanguard and was in Telon and saw all the trees gently swaying in the wind and was blown away. It looks like the same thing is going to happen with me in Pantheon.

• 523 posts
    October 2, 2017 8:48 AM PDT

Two thumbs up from me.  Thought it all looked promising.  Graphics went from "meh" to perhaps a strength.  Probably time to get a hundred or so players in a zone, all casting spells, to see how performance handles that.  More than one game has looked nice when only a few players are around, but then goes in the tank performance-wise during a raid or when a zone gets full and people start casting tons of spells.  Those graphics, 60FPS, with a hundred or so people nearby doing things, and I'll be pretty excited.  VG's beta is still fresh in my mind.

• 556 posts
    October 2, 2017 9:17 AM PDT

It was a night and day difference. I honestly wasn't expecting to see that level of detail so soon. Game looks better pre testing than a lot of them do in alpha. 

• 2886 posts
    October 2, 2017 9:43 AM PDT

For whatever reason, I keep being drawn to that archway outside Thronefast. I assume there's a reason it's there, but I don't know what it is. And it's fun to wonder. The stone looks so real and I love the way the sunlight reflects off of the metal parts. The banner looks awesome too.

I also love the green glow and the spectres in the cave. I'm thoroughly impressed.

• 2752 posts
    October 2, 2017 9:51 AM PDT

Hands down the best bit for me was seeing the weapons in first person mode, so wonderful to see attention going into the best camera mode. ;)

Otherwise everything looked amazing, I loved the misty gloomy dungeon with the Ratkin in it as well as the crows cawing in that gloom area with skeletons. 

• 133 posts
    October 2, 2017 10:11 AM PDT
    My favorite part was when they announced they would be closing Pre-Alpha pledges soon and sending the lot of us into a frenzy.
    • 724 posts
    October 2, 2017 10:13 AM PDT

Looking up the old streams again (or even the pretty recent "Bring Friends" trailer), and then seeing the same landscapes or dungeon views in a totally new light (literally!) ;)

• 483 posts
    October 2, 2017 10:27 AM PDT

For me, without a doubt it was the draw distance, and how everything was still clear (no fog) in the distance.

The new grass and foliage look beautifull, but I would have preffered if the trees and foliage colours variations (from the before and after pic) were still there, having red/orange/yellow trees gave the place a wilder and unkept look.

I also loved the first person swords, they're really cool (still missing the hands though), and another thing, is it me or where those some tweaked running animations?

• 1860 posts
    October 2, 2017 11:57 AM PDT

I want to preface this post by saying that: 

I am that person who turns everything graphical, except for clip plane, to either very low or off.  I don't want the grass or the reflection to make me see a mob a milisecond later than I would otherwise.  I'm also "that guy" who tends to think that the graphics shown a year ago were good enough and that spending a lot of extra time in that area is a waste.

That ^ being said.  I was impressed.  It looked gorgeous.  The work that has gone into it is noticable.  If someone like me can appreciate what has been accomplished visually, you knocked it out of the park.  Well done, nice job. (I will still be playing with everything turned off  :D).

My favorite part, like others, was the draw distance...max clip plane distance.

This post was edited by philo at October 2, 2017 12:03 PM PDT