Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Are you a mouse clicker or a keyboard user when using the UI?

• 2130 posts
    October 5, 2017 2:13 AM PDT

I've never been a fan of the mice with the multitude of side buttons. Not sure why, just doesn't do it for me.

I'm sure once you nail the muscle memory it is quite efficient. I would recommend anything other than Razer though, their products beyond the year 2010 or so are absolute dog****.

For MMOs I would probably go with a G403, but I'm stuck with a G Pro currently due to Overwatch. Two side buttons is enough for me. One for Push To Talk, the other for whatever else.

This post was edited by Liav at October 5, 2017 2:14 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    October 5, 2017 10:45 AM PDT

Keyboard + Mouse clicking for me. 

I had one of those Razer MMO mice for a few days but after a day or two I noticed an odd pain in my thumb & wrist, maybe because it made me grip the mouse different. So I returned it and got a much better mouse.

• 103 posts
    October 5, 2017 1:06 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

No need for keyboard skills when you got one of THESE

Just need yourself a functional thumb on that mouse hand.  Between shift, alt, ctrl, and combinations of the three, you got 72 keys under that thumb.

I bought the one for lefties years ago and I still cant learn or get used to it. Its been so long its starting to do that double clicking thing old mice do.

I was a full clicker at first. Then it was a mix of both using using keyboard for the shortcuts I could reach and mouse for the other half. Now I pretty much only have movement keys with the other ability shortcuts mapped to the ones all around the movement keys, mouse is just for turning or the usual. Ive read other players go as far as only map the forward movement key and use the rest are shortcuts.

IMO its much more comfy and natural than having everything bunched in 2 sq. in. area on the side of the mouse, thats probably why it never stuck for me.

This post was edited by Kayo at October 5, 2017 1:25 PM PDT
    • 123 posts
    October 6, 2017 12:45 PM PDT

I plan to use a Razer Orbweaver + mouse and only using Keyboard for chat. Usually left hand manages movement controls but WSAD or arrows of any other keyset begins to be unconfortable on long gaming sessions, especially after a whole workday, that's the main reason why I got an Orbweaver, desperatly trying to save my articulations. I plan to configure movement controls on the Orbweaver with the most used skills, and keeping the camera controls, targeting and the rest of skills on mouse with the right hand. It will probably need a small time for adaptation and adjustments but I'm pretty optimistic.

• 769 posts
    October 6, 2017 1:29 PM PDT

Liav said:

I've never been a fan of the mice with the multitude of side buttons. Not sure why, just doesn't do it for me.

I'm sure once you nail the muscle memory it is quite efficient. I would recommend anything other than Razer though, their products beyond the year 2010 or so are absolute dog****.

For MMOs I would probably go with a G403, but I'm stuck with a G Pro currently due to Overwatch. Two side buttons is enough for me. One for Push To Talk, the other for whatever else.

Seconded. 

All those fancy mouses (mice) give me a migraine. 

• 34 posts
    October 7, 2017 11:41 PM PDT

I use both.  Since the beginning I've setup my hotbars in a 2 x 2 configuration with the bottom left being my primary bar using thw 1 - = keys.  The bar above is always shift+1 - shift+=.  Primary abilities are always on the bottom left bar, interrupt is always shift+1, stun/cc is always shift+2, and self heal is always shift+3.  I bind my mount or sprint to shift+space, and click everything else.  I know it's oddly specific, but it works for me, and is the same no matter the game I'm currently playing.  Oh, and I use a Trackball Explorer 1.0, so no fancy mouse buttons except for auto-run on mouse 3.  The only thing I'm worried about as far as Pantheon's UI goes is allowing us to resize it.  I play on a 40" 4K monitor, and even at that size, I'm leaning in and squinting without UI and font scaling.

• 56 posts
    October 8, 2017 7:54 PM PDT

Started using a Nostromo (https://tinyurl.com/y7jo7vf8) & Naga combo before /autofire was added to EQ, now it feels really awkward if I ever have to play without that setup. Rarely click anything unless absolutely no other way to interact.

This post was edited by Kyridel at October 8, 2017 7:55 PM PDT
    • 56 posts
    October 8, 2017 7:58 PM PDT

Liav said:

When I first got mine I started off with maybe 1-2 side buttons set up, and slowly added more. It did take some time, I always thought, well, even if I just use 1 extra button that's handy, never thinking I'd use all. Then it got to the point where I'd actually take it to work for entering numbers, I almost groan if I have to reach away for the keyboard to input numbers now. 

This post was edited by Kyridel at October 8, 2017 7:59 PM PDT
    • 267 posts
    October 9, 2017 8:01 AM PDT

ZennExile said:

No need for keyboard skills when you got one of THESE

Just need yourself a functional thumb on that mouse hand.  Between shift, alt, ctrl, and combinations of the three, you got 72 keys under that thumb.

I actually use one of these

I find they are easier than using a keyboard for most things including the standard moving around. Plus you have 3 memory settings at the top so you can easily setup one layout for your healer, one for your enchanter and one for your tank (or whatever), and thats in addition to having the ability to setup multiple games (3 memory settings for eq, vangard, eve, sto, ect..). 

They take a few minutes to setup properly but afterwords they are sooo nice. 

• 267 posts
    October 9, 2017 8:05 AM PDT

Kyridel said:

Then it got to the point where I'd actually take it to work for entering numbers 

... you just blew my mind.. never thought of using it like that before.