Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Are you a mouse clicker or a keyboard user when using the UI?

• 281 posts
    September 25, 2017 5:19 PM PDT

I'd say I'm a hybrid.  I use keybinds for most stuff but I tend to have a bunch of clickables available for situational usage.

• 563 posts
    September 25, 2017 5:34 PM PDT

I have to say I use a mix of both, I like to bind a few spells/actions to my mouse. I find using a combination to be the fastest and most efficient for me, and it spreads out the "workload" of the keyboard hand :P 

• 399 posts
    September 25, 2017 6:03 PM PDT

in EQ:

Raiding mostly keys: As a healer, using f1-f6 to target group members and a Hot key to spam cast all three heal spells knowing one would stick (fast to slow).  Later on, hot keys for alternate targets for out of group healing in addition to group healing (like backup healing warriors, paladins and shadow knights). 

Definitely at least one hot key telling a ranger requesting a heal that he was sol and a waste of mana and should just die. WTF was he getting agro for anyway? :)

Movement with arrow keys.  Mouse look up and down

Grouping mostly the same as raiding.  Main tank assist hotkey. Little mousing around other than swapping spells if need be.

Non Raid anything that went, often targeting with mouse to see who was that running in the distance about to train me?

Clickies.... some hotkeyed, some not.

• 121 posts
    September 25, 2017 7:02 PM PDT
    I'm a mouse clicker in mmorpgs. Old school habits I guess. If there are only a few hotkeys that I can set up on my mouse (like fps and Diablo ) then I'm good. For mmorpgs, there are just too many hotkeys for my mouse.
    I tried to use the keyboard a few times but when I'm rushing things I tend to fat finger two keys and often trigger the wrong skill/spell. I never mess up when mouse clicking so I figured I'd take the slightly slower speed in return for accuracy. Besides, memorizing so many hotkeys feels to much like work. Oh and I keep moving things around on my bars so that probably doesn't help either
    • 417 posts
    September 25, 2017 8:18 PM PDT

I keybind everything I can. I like to avoid using my mouse if at all possible.

• 1404 posts
    September 25, 2017 8:58 PM PDT

Mouse click target and spells, mouse steer with few exceptions

Long straight autoruns I'll sometimes fine tune course adjustments with tap of arrows.

To look arround when running I'll hold up arrow to keep running forward then mouse look.

Auto assist targeting I always have a hot key 

• 220 posts
    September 25, 2017 10:01 PM PDT

hmmm...  maybe THIS ?

There are also left handed versions of mice with the thumb pad, and THESE with the inner left thumb sitck.

I am comfortable typing at the keyboard, but there are so many different kinds of gaming controllers now.  No sense trying to learn what is not as perfectly suited to you as possible.  You can even 3D print something perfectly fitted to your own hands.  Like a 21st century power glove.  I saw a really cool sphere you hold with both hands that functioned as multiple different programmable arrangements.  That one blew me away.  All the keys were mechanical buttons that fit the space around the grips, and they were blank white with colored LEDs that point back toward you and show the arrangement.  You could also twist both sides forward and back.  When the software was running they would change between full keyboard for typing, to an emulated mouse, and even game controllers.  It would group buttons together at places for gaming I never thought about like the meat of your palms.  You could just shift your hand and push any of those buttons or all of them.  It was wierd but I could aim playing an FPS with it almost as fast as keyboard and mouse after like half an hour.  Been trying to find some pictures...  I can't remember the name of it.

• 4 posts
    September 26, 2017 12:14 AM PDT
    Because I Do like kiting a Lot, I use wasd to move, so most of my fingers are occupied for that. So I click my Spells, But target through tab. Usually :)
    • 338 posts
    September 26, 2017 4:39 AM PDT

I use a G-13 for my left hand...https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-Programmable-Gameboard-Display/dp/B001NEK2GE

This allows movement with my thumb and abilities with my fingers. Freeing up my mouse for looking around and steering.

In pvp games this is a clear win because circle strafing becomes incredibly easy.

Once you start playing like this you can never go back.

The thumb stick can also be easily modded with a xbox controller stick for even better control.

Hope this helps someone out there control their character better.

Kiz~

• 2886 posts
    September 26, 2017 6:19 AM PDT

Has anybody tried using a footboard?

• 1019 posts
    September 26, 2017 7:02 AM PDT

Both. 

Hotbar number 1-5 I use my left hand which is resting on the keyboard for movement purposes anyway, and then other hotbar abilities, I use the mouse.

• 108 posts
    September 26, 2017 6:29 PM PDT

I tend to use both the mouse and the keyboard. I generally prefer to move my avatar with the keyboard and use the mouse to look left right etc. I absolutely hate games that are click to move. Though generally i prefer click special abilities though i do use some keys for abilites generally 1-5 and  F, R, T, Y, V, B keys...

• 26 posts
    September 27, 2017 11:59 AM PDT

I used both in Everquest. Keyboard for abilities and spells, mouse for targeting.  I played an enchanter and precision of target was king. With several mobs in camp, tab targeting or even F8 didn't quite cut it. So I would go third-person view in camp and zoom waaaaaay out to keep track of targets and click them as needed.

• 281 posts
    September 27, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

arcsbane said:

I used both in Everquest. Keyboard for abilities and spells, mouse for targeting.  I played an enchanter and precision of target was king. With several mobs in camp, tab targeting or even F8 didn't quite cut it. So I would go third-person view in camp and zoom waaaaaay out to keep track of targets and click them as needed.

They did bring in that targetting window at some point that, while being hidden behind skills and expansion locks, was really good for setting up complex targetting and keybindings.  I'd love to see something like it implemented from the start in Pantheon.

• 26 posts
    September 27, 2017 12:32 PM PDT

DragonFist said:

They did bring in that targetting window at some point that, while being hidden behind skills and expansion locks, was really good for setting up complex targetting and keybindings.  I'd love to see something like it implemented from the start in Pantheon.

I never saw it, must have been after my time. Sounds nifty, although I can live without it if necessary. That and a macro "%t IS MEZZED. BREAK IT AND YOU CAN F****** TANK IT YOURSELF"

Good times.

This post was edited by Arcsbane at September 27, 2017 12:33 PM PDT
    • 281 posts
    September 27, 2017 1:11 PM PDT

I hear that.  But yeah, it was one of those features that once you had it, you wondered how you went without it.  You could assign slots on the fly, so, a healer would have his group targets, but also these slots for tank, target's target, etc.  Healer could always have the raid tank on screen and throw a heal.  An enchanter could have up to 8 slotted targets in addition to his normal tab, group, etc. lists.  It just made all that kind of thing easier.  But not everyone had full use of it.  You had to have the expansion it came out in.  You had to have certain AA's, etc.  All that was a pita.  But the main functionality was that rare occurance of simplicity and usefulness.

• 26 posts
    September 27, 2017 1:38 PM PDT

DragonFist said:

I hear that.  But yeah, it was one of those features that once you had it, you wondered how you went without it.  You could assign slots on the fly, so, a healer would have his group targets, but also these slots for tank, target's target, etc.  Healer could always have the raid tank on screen and throw a heal.  An enchanter could have up to 8 slotted targets in addition to his normal tab, group, etc. lists.  It just made all that kind of thing easier.  But not everyone had full use of it.  You had to have the expansion it came out in.  You had to have certain AA's, etc.  All that was a pita.  But the main functionality was that rare occurance of simplicity and usefulness.

Yeah, definately after my time. Nobody had a target's target functionality until VG and I quit EQ in '03. I'd use the hell out of that, though, if it was functionally faster than just selecting the target with a mouse. Or those crazy situations where a bunch of mobs are stacked. The enchanter forums seem to have a lot of love for AoE mez, but to me it was a panic button to be overwritten with individual Dazzles requiring precise targeting. If I could key them to hotkeys then yeah, I would only ever use the mouse to strafe and turn.

• 281 posts
    September 27, 2017 3:42 PM PDT

Yeap and that is how it should be.  And yeah, I boxed a Bard with my monk and this would work well.  I don't remember all the mechanics but you definitely helped with stacked mobs.  It had limitations.  There were only so many slots.  So, if you had 40 mobs, it was of limited value.  But up till 12 or 13 with AA's, it helped a lot.  My main issue with it was that it wasn't part of the core game so it felt bolted on as a result.

• 85 posts
    September 28, 2017 5:47 PM PDT

I use both.  I used to be mouse only, then I played VG.  Made myself learn how to use keybinds.  It didn't take much time to get the muscle memory down and it helped my gameplay a lot, especially for raid healing.  I also invested in a Naga mouse and that made things even better.  

:)

• 18 posts
    September 30, 2017 3:50 AM PDT
    Keyboard for chatting
    Game Pad for everything else... its so much better than mouse in my opinion. If the UI is designed for there is also alot more fun while raiding and fighting etc. I liked that very much in the past espessially in long fights and sitting in Front of my beamer
    • 28 posts
    September 30, 2017 9:56 AM PDT

Both.. whichevers fastest or allows increased multitasking in game and RL. Use Quake/FPS M/KB setup 99% of the time as thats the fastest and highest degree of character control, really important for fast character positioning.. solely keyboard or a pad isn't always fast enough IMO. Though I will stick Auto run on and keyboard "steer" if i've got noone to follow and im eating or something. As for skills i'll generally assign keyboard shortcuts for important skills that by definition require quick/ accurate use .. non instant access stuff i'l generally just click on them. Then again saying all this ill use all the input options at some point.

• 319 posts
    September 30, 2017 12:19 PM PDT

I use both. Mouse for targeting and scavanging,keyboard when it gets a little tight in groups and raids

• 1281 posts
    September 30, 2017 7:11 PM PDT

I use keyboard for movement and targeting (group and enemies), but mouse for other GUI elements.

• 454 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:54 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Has anybody tried using a footboard?

i never knew there was such a thing!  Wow, what I learn reading the forums.

• 66 posts
    October 4, 2017 10:29 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

No need for keyboard skills when you got one of THESE

Just need yourself a functional thumb on that mouse hand.  Between shift, alt, ctrl, and combinations of the three, you got 72 keys under that thumb.

That'a exactly what I use!! Of course, if they had an all purple one...I would be in heaven.