Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Are you a mouse clicker or a keyboard user when using the UI?

• 1468 posts
    September 25, 2017 7:32 AM PDT

Personally I'm a mouse clicker. I'm sure I could be more efficient with a keyboard but with a bit of practice and getting to know the UI (especially when I can customise it) I can keep up with the keyboard players just fine most of the time.

It would be good if most of the UI could be used from a keyboard though as that way people like me who traditionally use the mouse could slowly start using the keyboard more and more as long as the keys are completely customisable.

It would also be cool if the keyboard bindings were saved in a text file so you could share you configuration with other players or download other players configuration files so you don't have to set it all up again when you want to make a drastic change.

You could even have different profiles that you swap between with different key bindings in each profile depending on what you were doing in the game. That way players would have the ultimate ability to control the game the way that they want.

• 626 posts
    September 25, 2017 7:52 AM PDT

As a Healer main I've always find it easiest to target my team mates via mouse and then use Keyboard for abilities. So in short I use keybinds for 90% of my spells, and mouse for 90% of targeting (Excluding targeting myself). 

• 220 posts
    September 25, 2017 8:01 AM PDT

No need for keyboard skills when you got one of THESE

Just need yourself a functional thumb on that mouse hand.  Between shift, alt, ctrl, and combinations of the three, you got 72 keys under that thumb.

• 1468 posts
    September 25, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

ZennExile said:

No need for keyboard skills when you got one of THESE

Just need yourself a functional thumb on that mouse hand.  Between shift, alt, ctrl, and combinations of the three, you got 72 keys under that thumb.

Alas. I have a slightly deformed thumb. That isn't going to work for me :(.

• 1714 posts
    September 25, 2017 8:37 AM PDT

Mouse is for newbs unless you have one set up with a ton of bindings. Moving your cursor across the screen to select a spell or action is slower and way more prone to error than hitting a key. 

• 3016 posts
    September 25, 2017 9:00 AM PDT

I use both..old habit.  :) A ton of bindings...where's the skill? :P   I use both..click and turn..numpad ..page up page down..never learned to load everything up so I can push one button.  Oh and numlock for run speed.  And I'm no newbie. :) I wonder how all those bindings would work in pvp...what if it doesn't do what you thought it would do?     I'll stick with my method...needs a little more strategy and skill,  but I think it still works for me. :)  hehehe Oh and the old tab target..no error there.

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at September 25, 2017 9:05 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    September 25, 2017 9:08 AM PDT

Krixus said:

Mouse is for newbs unless you have one set up with a ton of bindings. Moving your cursor across the screen to select a spell or action is slower and way more prone to error than hitting a key. 

I wouldn't say using a mouse is for a newb. With practice and a UI set up for your needs you can be pretty quick with it. Back in EQ you had a limit on the number of actions you could perform at any given time based on spell casting / spell gem refresh rate / ability refresh time etc so using a mouse didn't cause too many issues.

I know most of the time when playing my necro or ranger I already had my mouse in position for the next ability before the spell gem refreshed in EQ either when I was soloing or in a group so I don't see how I could have gone any faster even if I was using my keyboard.

• 2886 posts
    September 25, 2017 9:10 AM PDT

Great question. Definitely keyboard. Mouse is way too slow/inaccurate. As a healer with the Naga, I do use the programmable buttons on the side to select group members, and then use the keyboard for everything else. So I guess the mouse is in some ways just an extension of my keyboard haha. But to actually move the mouse around?... only to adjust the camera. Clicking is so old fashioned :P

• 1303 posts
    September 25, 2017 9:10 AM PDT

Keyboard for me. At least in combat. But I prefer a combo of keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks for other interface functions (inventory, trading, etc.). 

• 793 posts
    September 25, 2017 9:13 AM PDT

combination of both depending on the task at hand and anything alse going on.

and mouse almost exclusively for movement, with a few minor exceptions.

This post was edited by Fulton at September 25, 2017 9:14 AM PDT
    • 49 posts
    September 25, 2017 9:18 AM PDT

Im a clicker all the way. Been playing since EQ launched and still playing EQ2 have never had an issue with being to slow on heals or not enough dps and tanking just fine in expert raids . Either way works great it just what ever your more comfy with.

• 278 posts
    September 25, 2017 9:47 AM PDT

Well I use wasd and mouse for movment of char/camera to be able to sneakpeek and so on, mouse/keyboard buttons to lunch everyting else as target heal , emergency interrupt... and launch my powers but i  still need to be able to set my UI as i whant it to keep track on all things. This game will be intresting as VR is aiming for a "dumb/minimal" UI wonder what this will be for a raid/groupe setup UI wize, so no macros for target launch maybe..  will be intressting to see.

• 1714 posts
    September 25, 2017 11:07 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Krixus said:

I wouldn't say using a mouse is for a newb. With practice and a UI set up for your needs you can be pretty quick with it. Back in EQ you had a limit on the number of actions you could perform at any given time based on spell casting / spell gem refresh rate / ability refresh time etc so using a mouse didn't cause too many issues.

I know most of the time when playing my necro or ranger I already had my mouse in position for the next ability before the spell gem refreshed in EQ either when I was soloing or in a group so I don't see how I could have gone any faster even if I was using my keyboard.

I was kinda joking, but not really. You could tell someone was new to EQ, for example, or less "hardcore" if they clicked on spell gems or clicked to target. 

• 1468 posts
    September 25, 2017 11:21 AM PDT

Krixus said:

Cromulent said:

Krixus said:

I was kinda joking, but not really. You could tell someone was new to EQ, for example, or less "hardcore" if they clicked on spell gems or clicked to target. 

I guess the problem for me when using the keyboard was because when I started playing EQ I couldn't touch type so to use the keyboard to do anything I had to look away from the screen, find the key and then press it and then look back at the screen. In a busy situation this took way too much time.

The funny thing was it was because of EQ that I learned to touch type. When you are pulling and trying to chat at the same time I had to learn how to type without looking away from the screen so at least my EverQuest addiction lead to something useful :). I never really got out of the habit of using my mouse though.

It has been so long since I played an MMO properly that I just remember using my mouse. Maybe with Pantheon I'll make a real effort to use the keyboard instead. If everyone says it is better I am inclined to believe them :).

• 151 posts
    September 25, 2017 11:29 AM PDT

I use both. I played EQ1 with arrow keys and mouse. EQ2 with WASD and mouse. Not sure which method will work best for PROTF but I am sooo glad it is not retical based.

• 125 posts
    September 25, 2017 11:29 AM PDT

Im with Bazgrim on this one. I function basically the same.

This post was edited by Aatu at September 25, 2017 11:30 AM PDT
    • 189 posts
    September 25, 2017 12:10 PM PDT
    I am a mouser, The only keys I use are the arrow keys to move a bit, and I use the programmable keys for auto-attack and jump/duck. Well I use the keys for conversing but thats a given..
    • 29 posts
    September 25, 2017 12:38 PM PDT

I use both, but mostly keyboard.

Mouse is for mouselook :)

• 483 posts
    September 25, 2017 1:13 PM PDT

Full keybinder (only use the mouse to turn my character), it's a lot more effective, it boosts awareness because you don't have to look to the action bars or UI while clicking, and it gives, in general faster reaction times.

• 34 posts
    September 25, 2017 4:03 PM PDT

A combination of the two is best, but well-setup keyboard controls are quicker, more predictable, and more reliable in most situations in my experience in EQ/VG. There are always exceptions.

• 77 posts
    September 25, 2017 4:06 PM PDT

Steam controller. 

• 1785 posts
    September 25, 2017 4:23 PM PDT

These days, I tend to play with one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the mouse.  For stuff I use all the time, I'll set it up front on a hotbar for a quick keypress.  For stuff that's more situational or that I don't use as often, I'll typically just mouse to it.  For movement I use WASD and mouselook.  I tend to like keybinds for targeting like F1-F8, etc.  Don't make me click on targets in combat :)

• 2130 posts
    September 25, 2017 4:42 PM PDT

Click for days. While it is the inferior way to play, I can't be asked to rewrite almost two decades of muscle memory.

Edit: Well, I'd say it's more of a hybrid of the two. It's not possible to be a purely click player. In PC FPS and games like ESO it is necessary to use keybinds.

This post was edited by Liav at September 25, 2017 4:45 PM PDT
    • 208 posts
    September 25, 2017 5:08 PM PDT

I mostly use mouse for UI interactions, looking around the game with cameras and inventory things.  I use keybindings for specific functions like auto target, cycle targets, auto-attack, auto-run and camping/logging out.   I know what works for me but I am an odd ball and not everyone likes the way I do thigs.  I normally have my UI setup with as much viewing space as possible with important information as small as I can still read it as well as skills/abilities set as small as I can.

• 2419 posts
    September 25, 2017 5:11 PM PDT

Keyboard for pretty much everything except mouse for general movement.