Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Please HYPE Pantheon

• 441 posts
    June 16, 2017 6:07 AM PDT

The good people at Ashes of Creation are linking the hype page for their game so they can be rated #1 MMO on the mmorpg.com webpage. They have been doing this on their discord chat channel. Pantheon was #1 till they started this campaign. This helps foot traffic to Pantheon and helps win pledges. If you feel you want to support Pantheon with a Hype rating please click the link below. Also looking at it, seems our rating has gone down by quite a bit. Seems we are getting some negative hype hits to boot.

http://www.mmorpg.com/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/hype

Once you go there, just make sure you are logged in and click "Edit Your Hype" or "Cast Your Hype"

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at June 16, 2017 7:44 AM PDT
    • 483 posts
    June 16, 2017 7:18 AM PDT

So that's what happened, I just assumed they hired some bots to vote on the game.

• 441 posts
    June 16, 2017 7:33 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

So that's what happened, I just assumed they hired some bots to vote on the game.

They have a few channels on their discourd channel. They have a new channel and if you are sub to the channel they have a flag allert on the hype link for ashes. So it always shows an allert when you log into discourd under Ashes and when you click on it its pinned to the top asking members to HYPE Ashes. So before you can chat about the game you are forced to read this request. lol

• 2886 posts
    June 16, 2017 7:47 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

jpedrote said:

They have a few channels on their discourd channel. They have a new channel and if you are sub to the channel they have a flag allert on the hype link for ashes. So it always shows an allert when you log into discourd under Ashes and when you click on it its pinned to the top asking members to HYPE Ashes. So before you can chat about the game you are forced to read this request. lol

Nan, can you please send me some details/proof of this? This could potentially be a violation of MMORPG.com's rules of hyping. It wouldn't be the first time AoC has used some cheap, illegal marketing techniques. Thanks.

• 441 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:04 AM PDT

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at June 16, 2017 8:09 AM PDT
    • 441 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:35 AM PDT

That work?

• 2886 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:44 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

That work?

Definitely helps. But what do you mean by this: "So before you can chat about the game you are forced to read this request."?

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 16, 2017 8:44 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:48 AM PDT

I don't think they are breaking any rules here, they aren't offering any incentives for hyping their game so much as just being aggressive in letting people know they can. 

• 441 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:49 AM PDT

They made the new sub channel an alert, so when you click on the Ashes channel to see what the allert is, it takes you to the news channel where this info is posted. They have been refreshing the alert for 2 days a few times a day. So you keep thinking there is new news about Ashes just to see the same request to hype the game. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at June 16, 2017 8:50 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:50 AM PDT

Iksar said:

I don't think they are breaking any rules here, they aren't offering any incentives for hyping their game so much as just being aggressive in letting people know they can. 

I know what you mean, but it's worth looking into:

"Examples of manipulation include (but are not limited to): creating multiple accounts in order to drive up the rating, developers encouraging fans to vote the rating to a specific number, and the offering of incentives for fans to vote up the rating (such as in-game rewards)."

(Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/ashes-of-creation/hype)

• 441 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:52 AM PDT

Ya they are not telling them what rating to give, just asking people to very aggressively. 

• 2752 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:54 AM PDT

Always worth looking into, but so long as they aren't offering incentives or directing people to get to a certain rating they are good.

Pantheon is still very far away from the real hype, but from what I see on MMORPG Pantheon has 3 times as many votes compared to Ashes?

• 279 posts
    June 16, 2017 9:09 AM PDT
    Meh.

Looks like another forgettable 3rd Gen MMO.

• 2886 posts
    June 16, 2017 9:17 AM PDT

Sunmistress said: Meh. Looks like another forgettable 3rd Gen MMO.

Aye it's not even really in the same league as Pantheon imo. They'll have a cash shop and other new age features that attract a very difference audience than Pantheon. They seem to spend more experimenting with new mechanics rather than building on ones that are already well-established. So I don't even really see it as a competition. But regardless, it's important for the industry as a whole that these companies don't make underhanded moves. I believe that, in general, your product should be so ridiculously high quality that it's undeniable and speaks for itself. If you (as a developer) have to beg or even remind people to be excited about it so that you can put on a good front for the public, you're probably doing it wrong.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 16, 2017 9:19 AM PDT
    • 59 posts
    June 16, 2017 9:25 AM PDT

Sunmistress said: Meh. Looks like another forgettable 3rd Gen MMO.

My thoughts exactly. Same recipe different flavors. A million promises that won't be devlivered upon. I'm good.

This post was edited by CrAzD at June 16, 2017 9:25 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    June 16, 2017 10:16 AM PDT

Think the only thing that could be potentially against mmorpg.com policy is if Visionary Realms told people to go vote a 10. Don't think it violates any rule for a Pantheon fan to recommend people vote Pantheon and do so honestly.

One thing you should know is, I believe you have to start posting on the forums to gain the ability to vote. You may have to drop a few posts unless things have changed.

• 1281 posts
    June 16, 2017 11:34 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

The good people at Ashes of Creation are linking the hype page for their game so they can be rated #1 MMO on the mmorpg.com webpage. They have been doing this on their discord chat channel. Pantheon was #1 till they started this campaign. This helps foot traffic to Pantheon and helps win pledges. If you feel you want to support Pantheon with a Hype rating please click the link below. Also looking at it, seems our rating has gone down by quite a bit. Seems we are getting some negative hype hits to boot.

Once you go there, just make sure you are logged in and click "Edit Your Hype" or "Cast Your Hype"

Just to be clear, I do not follow AoC other than knowing a few vague details.

That said, we pretty much did the same thing here to get our hype up (create a go here and vote campaign). We can't blame them for doing the same.

• 441 posts
    June 16, 2017 11:48 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Nanfoodle said:

That said, we pretty much did the same thing here to get our hype up (create a go here and vote campaign). We can't blame them for doing the same.

I never initially thought there was anything wrong with it. I posted here to see if we could get people to do the same for us. Just showing my game colors.

• 1468 posts
    June 16, 2017 3:13 PM PDT

Jesus. Just read the mmorpg.com forums for a game I am following (and the Pantheon forum as well). What a toxic hell hole. No wonder I stopped posting on the site years ago. It used to be a reasonable place to discuss things and now and it is all about the so called "cool" people calling the people who achieve success in MMOs basement dwelling virgins and loads of rubbish about whales and other crap. I'll keep that site on my "don't even bother reading it" list.

The MMO community used to be awesome but ever since it became popular it has turned into a toxic mess. What a shame. Thankfully the Pantheon community is really friendly so I'll keep posting here instead.

• 2886 posts
    June 16, 2017 3:42 PM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

bigdogchris said:

Nanfoodle said:

I never initially thought there was anything wrong with it. I posted here to see if we could get people to do the same for us. Just showing my game colors.

Well it is different because you are a community member asking other community members to go hype. It's different coming from the developers. The only time I remember VR asking the community to go vote was for a specific contest poll. Either way, it's not a huge deal :)

Anyway, like I said, I don't really think we're fighting over the same audience and the hype meter doesn't really mean much, but it still would be nice to just see Pantheon at the top of the list again. Go vote! :)

• 9115 posts
    June 16, 2017 6:19 PM PDT

We have nothing against you folks hyping us over there, we have naturally held #1 on and off for quite a while now, AoC seem to be marketing towards their community to help boost them, we won't be doing the same but if you do go over there please follow the rules and get out as fast as possible, reading too many posts can be bad for your health and I monitor the Pantheon forums every day, the last thing I want to see is our good cmmunity members getting upset and arguing with the trolls to defend our game, I can assure you we will be fine and their words don't hurt :)

• 578 posts
    June 16, 2017 7:34 PM PDT

I thought it was weird how they just skyrocketed in hype and everyone else plummeted hard over the last day or two. I tell ya, there are a few weird things happening with this AoC game. From this extreme hype fluctuation bit to the kickstarter refund debacle thing and one or two other things, just seems like some weird stuff going on. /shrug

I still wish them the best, they have some cool concepts in their game.

• 763 posts
    June 16, 2017 11:04 PM PDT

I don't have a problem with AoC pushing the hype over there particularly.....
    .... cos (to mix a metaphor) hype is a double-edged sword which will bite you in the a$$!

If the game can live up to, and survive, the hype - then the best of luck to them in their endeavour :)

However ..... be warned!

MMORPG is built with bridges upon bridges upon bridges ....
    ..... every bridge hiding a not-so-silent troll waiting to devour you!

So, visit. Throw buns at the trolls.... but check your exits and make sure you have an escape route handy!

Evoras, intends to throw Kilsin under the bus to ensure his safe escape...

• 1618 posts
    June 17, 2017 1:45 PM PDT
    I cannot stand marketer gimmicks and the AoC people seem to know and do them all better than everyone else.

Main reason I will never play the game.
    • 238 posts
    June 17, 2017 5:46 PM PDT

I've been following AoC for a while now, though not as long as I have been following Pantheon. I don't have an issue with AoC promoting marketing advertisment for thier game. Its a smart move finiancially, but its only a good move if they are close to the testing phase of their game (imho). Quite a few games have done this in the past and it usaually never works out well. 1. Either the hype dies down and when the game finally launches no one remembers it, or 2. The hype is to strong and the game launches and doesn't live up to the expectations of the hype. I'm not sure if its actually the smartest move for them seeing as they still have alot of development they need to get through.

As for pantheon and hype, I think the hype will naturally pick up over time and increase during alpha and beta testing. Pantheon is a game like few others, in the aspect that it is being desinged around groups of players VS the individual player. The mmo genre over the years, has made a progressive move away from foocusing on the community of a game to focusing on the individual player. This has created a rift between old school players and the newer generation. In the sense that old school players typically focus on what they can do to help out each other, VS newer players who want to know what they get out of this situation. I think Pantheon is going to naturally draw the old school players back, and even entice some of new mmo players who have never gotten to experience what a true MMO community feels like. I've personally talked to a few of my freinds who are newer school mmo players. They never had the expirence of playing EQ1, or even WoW Pre-BC. Almost all of them are currently unhappy with the state that the MMO genere is in, and they are both shocked and excited, about the potiential pantheon has to bring community together.

Back to AoC though. I wouldn't be too concerend about it. At it's core its just like every other "mmo" out there. It focuses on the individual player rather than the community. Its Pvp system only futher goes to harm its potential community by being based on player want VS lore/race/faction.

This post was edited by Baldur at June 17, 2017 5:47 PM PDT