Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Quest pointers

• 3 posts
    June 13, 2017 5:01 PM PDT

I'm well aware Pantheon is going back to the 'seek and find' quest model of older games rather than newer model spearheaded by WoW.  I think that's wonderful except they should make one exception.  At the very beginning, when players first log in, the NPC trainer should have a quest icon.  Then the NPC should explain to players (condescendingly) that this isn't that kind of game, they need to go explore and find quests for their own. 

• 2419 posts
    June 13, 2017 6:50 PM PDT

What about the fun of exploring your starting city to find your trainer? 

• 26 posts
    June 13, 2017 6:54 PM PDT

No need to put in a npc that will do the job that some players would gladly do.

• 1404 posts
    June 13, 2017 7:46 PM PDT

Ohanko said:

Exactly, I'll just ask arround (to NPC'S) one of them will be him or direct me to him.

• 94 posts
    June 13, 2017 8:03 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Ohanko said:

Exactly, I'll just ask arround (to NPC'S) one of them will be him or direct me to him.

Just dont do what I did and thats accidently hit the A key. I dont know if Pantheon will be like EQ was BUT that caused you to attack, so I accidently attacked my trainer, and I was dead before I could blink lol. good times :)

• 1468 posts
    June 13, 2017 8:27 PM PDT

It would be cool if Pantheon had a tutorial like EverQuest did back at the start. That could be used to explain everything about things like this to people who haven't played an MMO like Pantheon before.

• 1404 posts
    June 13, 2017 8:51 PM PDT

sunstalkr said:

Zorkon said:

Ohanko said:

Just dont do what I did and thats accidently hit the A key. I dont know if Pantheon will be like EQ was BUT that caused you to attack, so I accidently attacked my trainer, and I was dead before I could blink lol. good times :)

Lol, if i recall correctly when I did that (dident everybody) it was trying to HALE a guard. It wasent simply pressing A that did it, the Root problem wss forgetting to press ENTER to get into a command line, so instead I pressef

(H)op

(A)utoattack

"Loading please wait"

I distinctley remember the HOP before the one shot... and recall seeing people fo it!

"Right of Passage" I seriously hope the DO have it,(though i doubt they will) that could be considered the tutorial to remapping the keys

• 3852 posts
    June 14, 2017 6:01 AM PDT

>What about the fun of exploring your starting city to find your trainer?<

Fun for some is frustration for others. It is probably wiser to make it easy for newcomers.

Not an icon though if there are no icons later in the game - maybe a simple message such as "If you want to ((whatever a trainer will actually do in Pantheon)) speak to Isher standing in front of the weapon shops."

This post was edited by dorotea at June 14, 2017 6:03 AM PDT
    • 513 posts
    June 14, 2017 6:45 AM PDT

I used to be against quest pointers.  Old school quests in EQ were awesome - you had to figure out the trigger word etc.  No feathers above their heads.  Then I got older.  There is WAY too much info inside my head.  I think I might be "full".  I need the pointers these days.  Not sure if it is due to me being lazy or mer simply forgetting where the guy who wanted me to kill 47 rats is.

• 2886 posts
    June 14, 2017 7:07 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

It would be cool if Pantheon had a tutorial like EverQuest did back at the start. That could be used to explain everything about things like this to people who haven't played an MMO like Pantheon before.

While we don't know many details, they have stated that there will be a very minimalistic (and optional) tutorial when you start a new character in Pantheon. Even in a challenging game, it's important that people at least know the basics.

• 1714 posts
    June 14, 2017 7:51 AM PDT

Holy cow people, way to miss a joke, serious or not it was a funny. 

• 422 posts
    June 14, 2017 8:56 AM PDT

Chancellor said:

I'm well aware Pantheon is going back to the 'seek and find' quest model of older games rather than newer model spearheaded by WoW.  I think that's wonderful except they should make one exception.  At the very beginning, when players first log in, the NPC trainer should have a quest icon.  Then the NPC should explain to players (condescendingly) that this isn't that kind of game, they need to go explore and find quests for their own. 

Why? that's the whole point of the game. Not hand holding. If they log in expecting flashy gold ! they will quickly figure out that that isn't what we do here.

I'd rather take a note from EQ. When you login you have a letter in your inventory you have to *gasp* read that tells you were to report to begin your training.

I say drop them into the world, its sink or swim. No arm floaties here to help you adjust. Adapt or die (figuratively).

• 133 posts
    June 14, 2017 9:23 AM PDT
    So many people here are missing the subtle joke...
    • 46 posts
    June 14, 2017 9:27 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I used to be against quest pointers.  Old school quests in EQ were awesome - you had to figure out the trigger word etc.  No feathers above their heads.  Then I got older.  There is WAY too much info inside my head.  I think I might be "full".  I need the pointers these days.  Not sure if it is due to me being lazy or mer simply forgetting where the guy who wanted me to kill 47 rats is.

It would be nice if we had a quest journal that tracked some high level information, "journal style" (Soandso in Aplace told you about Things) without the hand holding visual cue and map shinies. Helps you keep track of your stuff without breaking the game down to a basic level; just a thought anywho

• 1468 posts
    June 14, 2017 9:36 AM PDT

Sydor said:

Nephretiti said:

It would be nice if we had a quest journal that tracked some high level information, "journal style" (Soandso in Aplace told you about Things) without the hand holding visual cue and map shinies. Helps you keep track of your stuff without breaking the game down to a basic level; just a thought anywho

I think the way Elder Scrolls Morrowind did the quest journal was perfect. You would talk to someone and it would add a somewhat vague entry to a quest journal that would tell you who to speak to or what to do without giving specific details. In fact I think Morrowind did a lot of things right. If you've never played it before I highly recommend getting the game of the year edition on Steam and mod it up with some of the bug fix mods and have a play.

• 1404 posts
    June 14, 2017 10:21 AM PDT

Krixus said:Holy cow people, way to miss a joke, serious or not it was a funny. 

Hunk said: So many people here are missing the subtle joke...

Guilty!

There is a joke here?

• 422 posts
    June 14, 2017 11:00 AM PDT

You're not the only one. Don't see it even after reading it a few times.

• 1468 posts
    June 14, 2017 11:32 AM PDT

kellindil said:

You're not the only one. Don't see it even after reading it a few times.

Same here. I'm guilty as charged.

• 1303 posts
    June 14, 2017 11:40 AM PDT

The joke is that the only quest icon in the game is to tell you to figure it out for yourself. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at June 14, 2017 11:40 AM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    June 14, 2017 1:04 PM PDT

Talk to the npcs..we don't need exclamation marks and question marks.   /hail friendly npc  what can I do for you today? :)  Or pay attention to the perception prompts that pop up and indicate there's a mystery waiting for you to find it.  :)  Up to you whether you pursue the mystery or not. :)

• 79 posts
    June 18, 2017 7:23 AM PDT

EQ's current system is good, I think. No prompt above the npc, but important words are highlighted - you can either /say them or just click on the word. Some form of that works for me.

EQ's old system where you had to guess the keyword served well enough at the time, but it's antiquated. As the world expended it just became more hassle than it was worth.

• 2886 posts
    June 18, 2017 8:13 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

The joke is that the only quest icon in the game is to tell you to figure it out for yourself. 

Yeah I definitely sensed sarcasm in the OP, but I'd hardly call it a "joke" lol. It was so subtle and sarcasm isn't communicated well through text, so you can't really blame people for just choosing to take it as an opportunity to discuss the actual topic at hand.

• 279 posts
    June 18, 2017 8:49 AM PDT
    I burst into a fit of laughter when I read it.

• 278 posts
    June 18, 2017 1:10 PM PDT

If i need to find someone/something i ask people... so maybe this could be a solution an database for npc's to follow on trigger words we use ? And some poeple dont know and very rarely someone knows a hidden secret we can trigger?

• 1714 posts
    June 18, 2017 5:13 PM PDT

Chancellor said:

I'm freaking flabbergasted that people don't get it.