Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Quest pointers

• 94 posts
    June 18, 2017 7:17 PM PDT

Krixus said:

Chancellor said:

I'm well aware Pantheon is going back to the 'seek and find' quest model of older games rather than newer model spearheaded by WoW.  I think that's wonderful except they should make one exception.  At the very beginning, when players first log in, the NPC trainer should have a quest icon.  Then the NPC should explain to players (condescendingly) that this isn't that kind of game, they need to go explore and find quests for their own. 

I'm freaking flabbergasted that people don't get it. 

Yeah, its pretty obvious BUT ppl do have their own version of quests and how they think they should go so feel the need to talk about it on this thread. I honestly think ppl are not reading the entire post so miss the joke. *shrug* 

• 1404 posts
    June 19, 2017 5:39 AM PDT

As often, I need to go against the grain here and say I don't believe his intent for his first post on the site was a joke. And I think calling it as such and writing him off is not right. If you think about it this handful of people here on this site know what to expect, we know there won't be "?" to tell you there is a quest. But the Grand Majority of MMORPG players were brought up on them, this "?" is what they know, this "?" is what they expect. They log in on there FTP demo time, you don't think any will look around, se nothing to hold there hand, and then just log off and go spread the word on a Redditt someplace that the game is unfinished and sucks.
    I see what he's suggesting... One compromise to bait and then explain to that (quite large I think) group of people that are trying the game that haven't been following it on the forums. There is more to the MMO world than just us.
    I'm not in favor of his suggested solution, but I do see a possible issue. And I think it's a little condescending of us to write the guy off on his first post especially when he points out a problem none of us have brought up before

• 279 posts
    June 19, 2017 8:29 AM PDT
    Some help popups could pop up if you check the box for first time player or something?

My 8 year old is going to be playing with me so I can understand the necessity for a brief... description of what you may want to do as a new player. Something simple like, right click NPC to interact, you might want to talk to some people... good luck champ.

But I'd be against super handhold mechanics personally. Part of the magic of these game is it is your journey, you need to figure out how you take it.
    • 363 posts
    June 20, 2017 4:56 PM PDT
    Lmfao, idk what's funniest: the OP's joke, said joke flying over everyone's heads, or the homie Krixus' reaction to everyone who didnt get it. XD
    • 279 posts
    June 20, 2017 5:05 PM PDT
    Krixus reaction I thought.
    • 232 posts
    June 23, 2017 11:00 AM PDT

Chancellor said:

I'm well aware Pantheon is going back to the 'seek and find' quest model of older games rather than newer model spearheaded by WoW.  I think that's wonderful except they should make one exception.  At the very beginning, when players first log in, the NPC trainer should have a quest icon.  Then the NPC should explain to players (condescendingly) that this isn't that kind of game, they need to go explore and find quests for their own. 

I think this is a GREAT idea.  The first 10 minutes of gameplay is absolutely critical.  This time shouldnt be filled with confusion, guesswork, or lack of information from the game. This is a simple thing that would point new players in the right direction and sets the appropriate expectations moving forward.  A lot of people are going to try this game that havent been following it through development or that haven't played EQ.  

I approve a one-time message from your guild trainer, or some other NPC that you will meet in your first 10 minutes of gameplay, that explains a few basics of "old school" MMO mechanics, including the quest system.  This need not be a "quest" with a "reward", but simply information.  There's no harm in that.

EDIT:  This could also be served up as traditional "Hot Tips", or possibly as a splash screen upon logging in for the first time that needs to be acknowledged by the user.

This post was edited by Dekaden at June 23, 2017 11:06 AM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    June 23, 2017 1:49 PM PDT

Yes, the first 10 minutes of any game should be spent insulting the intelligence of its players.

This post was edited by Liav at June 23, 2017 1:49 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    June 23, 2017 4:12 PM PDT

I think not having that guide or message IS a pretty clear message that your hand will not be held. If anything they could start you in your classes respective guild and then you could find your way from there. Read the invitation to join the guild in your inventory and hand it in, then begin your journey. 

I don't think you really need to explain to the vast majority of people who will play this that those things don't exist. Most people getting in at release will know exactly what they are diving into and those that come later will likely be word of mouth. Pretty much any MMO I have been talked into, the person telling me about it focuses on what is different first and foremost.