Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will voice chat be preferred?

• 308 posts
    June 13, 2017 3:29 PM PDT

Krixus said:

I'm pretty sure Brad has said there will be a voice chat client native to the game. 

Yeah, He definitely said it in a 2016 AMA which can be found here: Comment from discussion I am Brad "Aradune" McQuaid, CCO for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. AMA!.

• 9115 posts
    June 13, 2017 4:25 PM PDT

We will have voice, it will be for groups/raids, no open mic in the world and it is not mandatory, as I have previously stated, it si just another option to keep you connected within Pantheon if you like, if not, use a 3rd party VOIP or don't use anything, it is up to you.

There will be options to mute/turn off so there is nothing to worry about, just there to use in Pantheon to speak to other Pantheon members if you like, options are good. :)

• 26 posts
    June 13, 2017 4:42 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

We will have voice, it will be for groups/raids, no open mic in the world and it is not mandatory, as I have previously stated, it si just another option to keep you connected within Pantheon if you like, if not, use a 3rd party VOIP or don't use anything, it is up to you.

There will be options to mute/turn off so there is nothing to worry about, just there to use in Pantheon to speak to other Pantheon members if you like, options are good. :)

Will you be able to adjust the volume for each individual player?

• 264 posts
    June 13, 2017 5:03 PM PDT

Personally I don't use voice chat unless it is something that requires a lot of coordination. That means PvP and endgame raiding. Voicechat really detracts from immersion for me so I don't join up on voicecoms for games like this unless absolutely necessary. In game voicechat may be a nuisance if groups demand I use it, the dungeons would have to be insanely tough to get me to use voicechat in PUGs.

• 9115 posts
    June 13, 2017 11:49 PM PDT

Ohanko said:

Kilsin said:

Will you be able to adjust the volume for each individual player?

Possibly, we need to implement it and test it first man, then we can look at what options could be added. :)

• 2130 posts
    June 14, 2017 12:25 AM PDT

Best feature in practically all VOIP software I've used is equalization. The sacrifice in quality is more than worth not having to adjust people's volume individually.

• 26 posts
    June 14, 2017 5:42 AM PDT

Liav said:

Best feature in practically all VOIP software I've used is equalization. The sacrifice in quality is more than worth not having to adjust people's volume individually.

Automatic gain control is nice assuming that everyone has a decent mic setup and configured their settings correctly. I personally like to be able to control the volume per person. More setting options wether it be in audio or graphic is never a bad thing.

• 513 posts
    June 14, 2017 6:53 AM PDT

I enjoyed the options for voice in EQ2.  As a BASELINE I would suggest doing it like that.  BUT - and this is important - if you have a good tools guy - there is no reason to build on this and make it better.  I mean - other than the obviousness of getting the game up and running  :)

• 189 posts
    June 14, 2017 8:15 AM PDT
    I'm not a huge fan of voice chat. For 'some' games. I used to host a Roger Wilco server back in the day but I only ever listened to voice chat on raids, never talked and would usually use the excuse that I didn't have a mic LOL.

If I was forced to MT any raids (when their primary/secondary tanks were MIA) I would go to voice only as I cant type fast enough for that.
    • 59 posts
    June 14, 2017 4:38 PM PDT

Personally, it depends. If we're raiding, or in a dungeon that requires more coordination, then yes voice chat is great. Sometimes though it's nice to have some "quiet time" and just be able to type. Usually if I'm streaming I try to stay off voice chat if I can help it, but sometimes I will hop on when I'm streaming. it makes it difficult to censor what is and is not said though.

• 10 posts
    June 14, 2017 10:38 PM PDT

Options are good, but personally I prefer not to use voice chat. I know there are others who feel the same way so I'll probably gravitate towards them.

I used to raid in the early years of EQ and no one I raided with had voice chat, so I'm not really sold on the need for it. Funny thing, once I joined a group in WoW and we spent the first minutes getting everyone on voice chat, on the correct server, into the same channel, because "we need to be on voice chat!" (this was before LFD). Then, no one ever said one word.

I find voice chat often very intrusive and immersion breaking, and while it may have benefits it doesn't always work as well as people would have you believe. Also if you take your headphones off for 15 seconds to grab something, you may just miss something crucial. And we have the scenario where everyone is chatting because you are waiting, then suddenly the raid leader rapidly mumbles a few sentences into his mike and starts the encounter, and you have no idea what he just said. At least text isn't immediately gone. Of course better discipline goes a long way, but these things happen and I feel text is more forgiving.

I might put up with listening to that for a little while on occasion, as long as people control themselves, but any kind of guild, raid group, that feels they can't function without voice chat, I'm probably not going to be part of that.

• 125 posts
    July 9, 2017 6:04 PM PDT

I started playing MMOs when there was no such thing as voice chat and we did just fine with all content allbeit it was simpler in those days. That being said I could not see doing so any more. As I progressed and realised how voice chat took one aspect off my plate when playing and trying to lead raids I became that much more of a solid player/leader which helped tremendously in endgame content.

With the above in mind just over a year ago I had an accident where I lost 40% of my vision in each eye. My eyes are fine it is the brain that was effected. It took some time to figure this out but it is actually worse than being blind in 1 eye. I am still able to drive and it really hasnt effected me in my life which includes my photography but MMOs are a different story.. Although I am still capable of high end gaming without issues... without voice chat I do not think it would be possible for me to do highend content anymore as my gaze would constantly have to change in a drastic way. Having to read chat and stay aware of game content would be difficult to say the least.

It is really hard to explain and there is really no way to simulate how I see now... Its not as simple as just covering one eye and saying this is what its like.

Like I mentioned above, even though I had grown to appreciate voice chat before the accident I really cant see myself playing endgame content without it anymore. For me voice chat lets me keep experiencing an aspect of MMOs which I love and which honestly, even though I intend to be a bit more casual this time around, I could not do without, and that is raiding and raid content.

Although I like using it in groups it is not required however.

One of my goals in Pantheon will be to help others with vision impairments to enjoy the game. I know I can still play and with now having this disability Im hoping I can create ways to help others with similar vision impairments as well. Voice chat is an obvious one... another factor I think will be how adjustable the UI is... I know already certain aspects will make it so much easier for people like me... cant wait for alpha to start playing around with all this... :)

This post was edited by Aatu at July 9, 2017 6:55 PM PDT