Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will voice chat be preferred?

• 1468 posts
    June 11, 2017 12:48 PM PDT

Rendall said:

Cromulent said:

Edit: This is why I think it is so important to be able to create global text chat channels that are password protected in Pantheon so that players in a guild who play the same class can swap tips and tricks with each other without spamming up guild chat with class specific info that doesn't apply to anyone who doesn't play that class. 

How talking about class specific in guild chat spam ?  To an extent it benefit to everyone to know every class. Not saying its wrong to have specific channel but dont think it have to be class specific within a guild.

Custom channel achieve that perfectly and it's the modern standard.

Well guild chat on raids is normally reserved for very important messages so if people were to discuss class specific information in guild chat on a raid it would soon spam up as each class has a different job. In order to prevent that we had chat channels for every class to keep it organised during raids. Only the raid leader and officers used raid chat and guild chat during raids. Everyone else had to keep public chat free of all messages.

When we were not raiding of course you could discuss what you wanted in guild chat.

This post was edited by Cromulent at June 11, 2017 12:49 PM PDT
    • 155 posts
    June 11, 2017 12:56 PM PDT

I see what you meant so during raiding specificly ok.

I like to plan my thing ahead but that is not always possible. It make sense to an extent to avoid chaos.

This post was edited by Rendall at June 11, 2017 4:20 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    June 11, 2017 3:53 PM PDT

Sunmistress kind of got my point, or really got it, honestly.

Once content reaches a certain level of complexity, you're actively causing a detriment to your progress by not using instantaneous communication methods.

Omens of War was a joke but I wouldn't want to do many raids in GoD with text exclusively. Not unless everyone had copious foreknowledge of the encounters. If Pantheon is that simple then it will be a failure, in my opinion. At least the endest of endgame raids.

• 1281 posts
    June 11, 2017 4:41 PM PDT

I prefer no voice chat. I don't care if it's available for others, I just don't want to use it.

Unfortunately, I think that means they are going to need alternate servers without voice chat. I can only imagine that if they don't, I won't be able to find non-VC groups. Those of us who don't use it will have to flock together onto our own servers to find each other.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 11, 2017 4:41 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    June 11, 2017 5:22 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I prefer no voice chat. I don't care if it's available for others, I just don't want to use it.

Unfortunately, I think that means they are going to need alternate servers without voice chat. I can only imagine that if they don't, I won't be able to find non-VC groups. Those of us who don't use it will have to flock together onto our own servers to find each other.

Naw, that won't happen. I doubt voice will be integrated into the game in the first place, and even if it were, it would be optional. EQ2 has built-in voice chat and I've personally not seen anyone require it.

If a situation requires voice communications, 99.9% of the time it will be third party. Discord, TS3, Ventrilo, etc.

What you fear simply isn't going to happen.

• 483 posts
    June 11, 2017 5:44 PM PDT

Liav said:

High end is pretty relative. Vox and Nagafen are high end compared to an orc pawn.

You can not succeed in the highest end EQ content after the Gates of Discord expansion unless you already have foreknowledge of the mechanics. When mobs hit hard enough that your tank gets one rounded, or you're trying to balance the HP of 4 mobs to not hit a fail condition, it's practically impossible to get 50+ people on the same page even with voice chat.

Most bosses in the Planes of Power expansion and prior have very, very simple mechanics. Pantheon will be far beyond that. Vanguard is a great example - no guild was succeeding at killing mobs like Sparkles without the use of voice comms. I use Sparkles as an example because I can't 100% remember the names of a lot of the other raids. When the Summoners were new, those encounters were extremely tough. Even then, the raid difficulty of Vanguard was below that of the level of difficulty provided by games like WoW.

This kind of got off topic, my bad.

So you say wow raids are harder than EQ and Vanguard, I fully agree, so this bit of information will be really surprising to you. The best guild in WoW during late vanilla and Early/Mid TBC (Nihillum) raided without voice chat, yep my reaction was also "WTF how's that possible". Not to say that it is the best option, but it is possible to raid top end without Voice coms, but you need to be insane to even try it, it's so much harder, still props to them on achieving hard world first boss kills only with typing XD.

• 2130 posts
    June 11, 2017 6:13 PM PDT

I'm not surprised really, it's just not something I'd voluntarily put myself through. Respect where it's due, however.

• 279 posts
    June 11, 2017 7:29 PM PDT
    Exactly

Why would you want to work any harder than you have to.

Like just because something can be done, does not mean it's the most effective way, especially as technology becomes accessible to make things easier.

It's like making an argument for doing a cross country roadtrip, but with a horse.

Like yeh if you WANT to do that, go for it, but it shoar AF would be ffaster and more effective with a car.
    • 190 posts
    June 11, 2017 8:14 PM PDT

As a roleplayer, I only use voice chat for when we raid.  Raiding is a lot faster paced and it allows you to concentrate on your abilities and the fight in front of you instead of trying to type while healing/buffing/insert crazy class abilities here.  While just adventuring, harvesting, or roleplaying I prefer to just type in whatever channel is being used.

• 422 posts
    June 12, 2017 5:55 AM PDT

I hate voice chat. It's annoying. A group doesn't need voice. It does not take a huge amount of coordination to play in a group. Raids maybe but then if people know their place and do their job its not really needed either. People are just too lazy to type. I don't and won't use voice chat.

• 1714 posts
    June 12, 2017 9:29 AM PDT

Archatius said:

As the title asks, I was wondering about this, as I rarely use voice chat.  I have a voice that carries through the house and our gaming room is pretty close to where my wife would be sleeping.  I could probably listen to the chat on headphones and type my replies, but actually talking later at night is kind of out of the question.  

Your situation is pretty common. I imagine lots of people will have to listen and not speak for large portions of their gaming session. 

• 279 posts
    June 12, 2017 10:18 AM PDT

Liav said:

Sunmistress kind of got my point, or really got it, honestly.

Once content reaches a certain level of complexity, you're actively causing a detriment to your progress by not using instantaneous communication methods.

Omens of War was a joke but I wouldn't want to do many raids in GoD with text exclusively. Not unless everyone had copious foreknowledge of the encounters. If Pantheon is that simple then it will be a failure, in my opinion. At least the endest of endgame raids.

Omens was a good place to Learn how to split raid tho! And it was a nice breather after the rapetrain that was pre nerf GOD. Granted GOD is and always will be the expansion I think made raiding worth it. 

Funnily enough the guild I was in made it all the way too Tacvi (aand cleared South) while it was bleeding edge with minimal voice chat, I wouldn't EVER do that again. So much suffering in the Uqua gas chamber, and Inktuta kiting snakes, trying to type while doing figure 8's without movement speed buffs. TERRIBLE. The balancer event without voice chat yuck, I'll pass.

And I agree if the raid content (and group content for that matter) are as simple as early EQ I'll be a bit miffed. 

• 6 posts
    June 12, 2017 10:33 AM PDT

Role Playing,

Group Leader (voice chat): Hodor, as the tank you need to tank mob x over there by the locked door and turn his back to the group.

Hodor (voice chat): Hodor

Group Leader (voice chat): Hodor, when you are ready we will begin.

Hodor (voice chat): Hodor, Hodor!

My vocabulary might be limited to 1 word which is less than I, AM & GROOT but I can see how easily it will be for me to communicate via voice chat. =)

• 20 posts
    June 12, 2017 10:36 AM PDT

I hope there's not in game voice chat. There are many platforms available for users to do voice chat if they wish (teamspeak,discord,skype,etc).

• 2752 posts
    June 12, 2017 11:02 AM PDT

Pindrought said:

I hope there's not in game voice chat. There are many platforms available for users to do voice chat if they wish (teamspeak,discord,skype,etc).

There will be in-game voice chat.

Just because there are third party options doesn't mean everyone has/wants/will use them, but more importantly I don't think guilds etc want to hand their voice chat server information to every pick up group. 

• 232 posts
    June 12, 2017 12:07 PM PDT

Ohanko said:

I personally prefer using voice chat but I won't be forcing others to use it. If you are the type of person that uses a cheap mic, a desktop mic with speakers, or doesn't use the push to talk button than I would prefer that they just type. Which makes me hope that include amute buttons for each individual player in your group.

Great post, I agree completely. Proper voice chat setup and etiquette is extremely important for it to be an enjoyable experience. Under ideal conditions, I don't mind voice chat at all, in fact I prefer it. From my experience, the biggest offenders are using voice activation combined with screaming children, vocal spouses, barking dogs, people with colds/flu, that can't be bothered to push a button when they want to talk.  For this reason, I tend to shy away from voice chat unless it's with close friends I play with regularly.

• 1468 posts
    June 12, 2017 6:47 PM PDT

I just really dislike voice chat. I'm from England and have been told by several people that I have either a strong accent or am hard to understand to people who don't live near me. Obviously I won't be playing on the US servers but I am quite self concious of my voice. I'd just much rather do everything via text if I can. I can type reasonably fast so it doesn't cause much of a problem. When playing EQ one of the first skills I learnt was the art of typing while pulling at the same time.

This post was edited by Cromulent at June 12, 2017 6:47 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    June 13, 2017 6:28 AM PDT

With all the people posting that they don't like voice chat, maybe we should form a guild that doesn't use it (other than for raids, perhaps). Maybe name it Silent Knights?

• 46 posts
    June 13, 2017 6:43 AM PDT

Pindrought said:

I'm sure that if you don't wish to use it you won't be forced to

• 513 posts
    June 13, 2017 7:24 AM PDT

In 8 days I will be 50.  That's a FIVE followed by a zero.  My biggest problem I have had over the years and even untill this week is that people say I SOUND young.  I am not sure how a person sounds young (?) but there it is.  They begin our gaming relationship with a beliefe that I am lying to them when I say I am 50.  This means I have to overcome a predisposition from some folks that I am a lying teen.  My kids are 18 and 20.  I play online with them every now and then and folks always say that my kids sound older than I am.  I can almost imagine the First World Problems that Barry White would have at the age of 9 and being online...

But yeah - I will use voice whenever I can - my dang kids keep breaking my headsets!

• 801 posts
    June 13, 2017 7:47 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

In 8 days I will be 50.  That's a FIVE followed by a zero.  My biggest problem I have had over the years and even untill this week is that people say I SOUND young.  I am not sure how a person sounds young (?) but there it is.  They begin our gaming relationship with a beliefe that I am lying to them when I say I am 50.  This means I have to overcome a predisposition from some folks that I am a lying teen.  My kids are 18 and 20.  I play online with them every now and then and folks always say that my kids sound older than I am.  I can almost imagine the First World Problems that Barry White would have at the age of 9 and being online...

But yeah - I will use voice whenever I can - my dang kids keep breaking my headsets!

Happy birthday brother!

47 here in a couple months. You also dont need to convience anyone that your 50. Many of us here that came from the first gen games are older. I started EQ when i as 24? i believe. I went back to college shortly after, so yes i believe i was 24 then starting to play these games. Heck we didnt have much then either.

Voice chat is great, been using it for many many years, some games want you to use it with groups. It is more efficent to do so. Other times, i find some players just hate to mingle with other people in game. Yet they could be your best buddy playing becide you and you would never know.

I will be hosting voice coms but i dont expect players to care much, other then the new gen of MMO players. TS, Discord.. etc but discord is great to use with clan based events on steam or whatever. You can use it to announce things, or simply hookup and chat.

• 1714 posts
    June 13, 2017 9:15 AM PDT

I'm pretty sure Brad has said there will be a voice chat client native to the game. 

• 151 posts
    June 13, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

I remember playing EQOA where voice chat wasn't an option.  I would set up macros that explained the mechanics for each of the raid fights.  I agree that voice chat definitely makes difficult content much easier to manage, but for the most part, it won't be required.  When I'm adventuring or leveling up, I like to hear the in-game music/effects.  If I'm pulling an all-nighter, I'll probably turn some of my own favorite music on to keep me in the groove.  For me ... when it comes to group content, voice chat will be the exception, not the rule.

I remember the old EQ days when nobody was using voice chat.  What a pain trying to coordinate with a lot of people.

Now, I can't imagine playing even while casually dungeon crawling or XPing without using voice chat.  Even if we all know the area blindfolded it is still great fun to just chat away about whatever.  I find it astounding that people would rather not talk to their friends/guildmates while playing.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one looking forward to Pantheon as a game and not as some sort of lifestyle or something.

• 2130 posts
    June 13, 2017 1:32 PM PDT

Searril said:

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one looking forward to Pantheon as a game and not as some sort of lifestyle or something.

Repeat after me:

FILTHY. CASUAL.

I'm just kidding.

• 2138 posts
    June 13, 2017 3:20 PM PDT

Liav said:

Searril said:

Repeat after me:

FILTHY. CASUAL.

I'm just kidding.

- hahaha! ( if I was mic'ed you would have heard me laugh out loud. :)  )